Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    off to see how my SIPP is doing ….
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:
    Any thoughts on the future of technology funds, many of which has done incredibly well over the last 12-18 months? 
    They don't show many signs of dropping. I'd hold for now.

After my sale of the America's and some of Baillie Gifford I'm at an all time high in My SIPP after a short dip a week or so ago.
    Same here.

I track my funds daily & over the past week all my equity funds apart from Japan have been moving up & my bond funds going sideways - with my Vanguard gilt fund actually falling over that time. 
    My two funds that are down since July last year are one Gold & One Bond fund, gold down 3.6% and the Bond 1.4% so no big shakes and sub 4% of the overall portfolio anyway.

One downside I've found with Interactive Investor, it only shows (live) the profit of what investments you currently hold rather than overall performance, no big shakes though as I know what's gone in so an easy calculation and it does show on the 1/4 statements. 
  • Options
    I must be very old fashioned. I leave anything that looks like a bubble well alone, and if I dont understand it I also leave it well alone.
    One of my best investments was Caffe Nero. I worked in Covent Garden at that point, and noticed how busy these places were, whether big or small, all day long. Once it was clear they had an all day offering, big margins on their main sale item and were constantly going, it made sense to buy some shares. Turned into a ten fold return in less than five years, and I only sold when they were taken private because the stock market didnt appreciate their true value, or some such.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I must be very old fashioned. I leave anything that looks like a bubble well alone, and if I dont understand it I also leave it well alone.
    One of my best investments was Caffe Nero. I worked in Covent Garden at that point, and noticed how busy these places were, whether big or small, all day long. Once it was clear they had an all day offering, big margins on their main sale item and were constantly going, it made sense to buy some shares. Turned into a ten fold return in less than five years, and I only sold when they were taken private because the stock market didnt appreciate their true value, or some such.
    Wish Nero could do more with Harris and Hoole when things come back to a more normal place
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:
    Any thoughts on the future of technology funds, many of which has done incredibly well over the last 12-18 months? 

After my sale of the America's and some of Baillie Gifford I'm at an all time high in My SIPP after a short dip a week or so ago.
    Same here.

I track my funds daily & over the past week all my equity funds apart from Japan have been moving up & my bond funds going sideways - with my Vanguard gilt fund actually falling over that time. 
    Definitely one occasion you should follow your own advice about how good the Baillie Gifford funds are.

My holding in BG Japanese Fund is up by 7.25% since the first of this month.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:

Same here.

Definitely one occasion you should follow your own advice about how good the Baillie Gifford funds are.

I've got some of that fund, it had a big dip at the end of Jan but has since risen nicely.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:

Same here.

I've got some of that fund, it had a big dip at the end of Jan but has since risen nicely.
    Yep the BG funds have been a great shout, im up nearly 10% in BG America, more than 10% in BG Global Discovery, and nearly 5% in BG Japanese. That's in exactly a month since I started my S&S isa.

Thanks for the tips Golfie
  • Options
    I didn't invest in BG Japan. Felt it too niche a fund to pump anything worthwhile into. The Nikkei has had a very good run since November. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Always been a fan of investing in companies that I rate as a customer.  I don't think I've ever made a bad investment that way as you get a regular sense of whether they are doing things right.  I also like it when the dividends pay for the things I buy there!  

Another thing I look for is if management have a significant amount at stake in the business.  I think they are more likely to think long term.  Though it doesn't work so well if they've been awarding themselves lots of bonus shares and options - in other words why're just management enriching themselves at the expense of shareholders.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:

Same here.

Yep the BG funds have been a great shout, im up nearly 10% in BG America, more than 10% in BG Global Discovery, and nearly 5% in BG Japanese. That's in exactly a month since I started my S&S isa.

Glad to be of some assistance 🙂.

I already hold 3 BG funds (American, Discovery & European). Tempting as it is to hold their Japanese or Asian fund I dont really want to be holding too many funds from one Investment house. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I didn't invest in BG Japan. Felt it too niche a fund to pump anything worthwhile into. The Nikkei has had a very good run since November. 
    It was pointed out in a webinar today by Quilter Cheviot that Japan has been in the doldrums for years. The Nikkei hit it's all time high in 1990  !!  
  • Options
    Also did a little bit of trimming today as my SIPP was looking a bit "toppy" in equities. Took some profit out of BG American & 2 UK  funds (Chelverton UK Growth and Miton UK smaller companies) and moved the money into a bond fund (Man GLG High Yield). Should be back to around 65% equity, 30% bonds & 5% property. Still don't like the fact the bond & gilt funds have been slowly moving south over the past few weeks, but they are there for a reason. Not everything can go up. 
  • Options
    My cannabis ETF was up 13% yesterday.

Followed by another 14%. Only 2% of my portfolio...but it was just over 1% three months ago! Not tempted to increase this.
  • Options
    Also did a little bit of trimming today as my SIPP was looking a bit "toppy" in equities. Took some profit out of BG American & 2 UK  funds (Chelverton UK Growth and Miton UK smaller companies) and moved the money into a bond fund (Man GLG High Yield). Should be back to around 65% equity, 30% bonds & 5% property. Still don't like the fact the bond & gilt funds have been slowly moving south over the past few weeks, but they are there for a reason. Not everything can go up. 
    Well done Daniel Son  ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Baillie Gifford Health Innovation, launched in Dec 2020 looks interesting. I've been looking at it for the last few weeks and it has performed well since launch, up by 15%

Surprisingly the fund size is fairly small, at £3m.  Last year's learning, strictly from performance is that it does tend to pay to be an early bird with a BG fund.

Rathbones Global Opps has really slowed down relative to other funds in the same Global sector. Always been a solid performer. I've just read that they've changed 15pc of the portfolio in prep of economies re-opening. Worth a hold as it does not hold Tesla in the Top 10, so provides some variance. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Closed my Brent oil and Barclays position in recent days. Nice bit of profit Anything else bottoming out I can get a good swing trade on? 
  • Options
    In the last few weeks I've bought Capita at 34p (now 38p), some more metro bank at £1.15 (now £1.38) will likely sell those today and American Financial Group at 94p now £1.06. I'm tempted to buy SAGA and Hiscox. I've set a SAGA buy at @2.65 and might do Hiscox at 9.35.
  • Options
    Also best trading app? Trading 212 is dog shit, tried opening a position on BP but said the limit to buy was 0. Would be cool to have indicators included but would rather one with no limit. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    In the last few weeks I've bought Capita at 34p (now 38p), some more metro bank at £1.15 (now £1.38) will likely sell those today and American Financial Group at 94p now £1.06. I'm tempted to buy SAGA and Hiscox. I've set a SAGA buy at @2.65 and might do Hiscox at 9.35.
    Hiscox’s chart looks great
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    They've had some COVID losses which effected the recent price drop following the court case, but they are a good company, should be easy to make 7-10% fairly quickly or a long term hold as I can see them getting back to around £15 in the next 3 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:

Same here.

I already hold 3 BG funds (American, Discovery & European). Tempting as it is to hold their Japanese or Asian fund I dont really want to be holding too many funds from one Investment house. 
    Interesting. But poses the question to me, why?

I've got 5 BG funds (America, Global Discovery, Positive Change, Pacific and Japan).  All 5 have done really well over the past year (to put it mildly). Much better than any other funds I hold.

So why the reluctance to invest in a company that has done well? (If you tell me its because your investments in other funds have beaten the BG increases then I really do take my hat off to you!)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    They've had some COVID losses which effected the recent price drop following the court case, but they are a good company, should be easy to make 7-10% fairly quickly or a long term hold as I can see them getting back to around £15 in the next 3 years.
    i see a big falling wedge sitting at support, should ping up in the next few weeks
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:

Same here.

Interesting. But poses the question to me, why?

I've got 5 BG funds (America, Global Discovery, Positive Change, Pacific and Japan).  All 5 have done really well over the past year (to put it mildly). Much better than any other funds I hold.

So why the reluctance to invest in a company that has done well? (If you tell me its because your investments in other funds have beaten the BG increases then I really do take my hat off to you!)
    I suppose I was more thinking of my clients portfolios & harks back to yesteryear. Looks a bit weird if I keep on recommending BG funds (or any one single manager for that matter). Clients might think I'm tied to them or getting some form of kick-back. I also like a little bit of diversity- BG may be following some sort of mandate (growth rather than value) and it's never wrong to back a different horse now & again. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I've been keeping an eye on Hiscox since the court decision. I remember when they were nothing more than a medium size Lloyd's syndicate, best known for fine arts insurance. I have no spare GBP in my account right now though; I bought Unilever on its slump last week and media company WPP a couple of weeks ago.

On the downside, the big 2 day profits on my cannabis ETF were wiped out in a few hours yesterday. I guess a lot of investors decided to cash in and take some profit. As I said before, it's a very volatile market.
  • Options
    Can anybody recommend a Platform to trade Investment trusts with a bit more regularity than long term funds? Generally speaking, with lower fees/commission than HL, but a vast selection. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Can anybody recommend a Platform to trade Investment trusts with a bit more regularity than long term funds? Generally speaking, with lower fees/commission than HL, but a vast selection. 
    Double check as it's been a while but don't think Fidelity charge per trade for funds etc.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    mendonca said:
    Double check as it's been a while but don't think Fidelity charge per trade for funds etc.
    I think Mendonca is looking for investment trusts, though, which, from memory, Fidelity isn't as strong on as it is focused on (unit trust) funds.

I've found HL okay on pricing for ITs.  A few years ago they tried to bring the charges up to unit trust levels, i.e. a percentage of holding, but lots of people (including me) threatened to leave the platform and they backed down.  Consequently, they are priced the same as stocks and platform fees are capped at ISA and SIPP level (I think 45 and 200 quid respectively).  But they don't push ITs or provide nearly the same research and support because they don't make nearly so much money out of them.  I think Trustnet is still the best independent source for info funds and ITs.

My beef with HL is their FX charges.  IG appears to be much cheaper for my kind of portfolio and trading regularity but they are currently overwhelmed with applicants and closed to new business! 
  • Options
    It is too volatile, in my opinion, to be a currency that most companies would be willing to accept as a payment method. That for me is the main problem that cryptocurrencies will need to overcome in order to be more accepted. 

I also think that more companies taking bitcoin, presumably to then sell it rather than take risk on volatility, could lead to a lot of extra supply on the market.

So for example, someone who currently holds bitcoin as speculation and is not willing to sell currently, pays for a taxi, which then presumably gets turned into cash almost straight away. The amount of bitcoin for sale on the market (supply) will go up. 

Turning bitcoin from something that is majorly for speculation into something that actually is used for more and more commerce, will, in my opinion, cause the price to fall rather than rise. I can't see these major companies wanting to hold onto bitcoin long term, you could see companies folding because they are holding too much Bitcoin and the price drops. Companies are generally in the business of avoiding risk wherever possible when it falls outside of the core areas of what they do.

I wish everyone luck, I have a couple of good friends who have made some cash over the past couple of months. I just hope that it goes well for them.