Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    £25 for me, £50 for Mrs A.
  • Options
    Sod all in Tropical Daarrzzet (PB’s).
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Recently I've read several articles touting small-caps - both UK specific, and globally, as a sector that might out-perform as countries emerge from the worst of Covid. The argument in very broad terms is that the most nimble companies are able to seize the opportunities for change that the virus has created. That argument broadly  works for me; what do you all think? Anybody got any reccos for small-cap funds ?

In this article, which argues the case for Europe generally, which I also agree with, they tout Barings Europe Select Trust, as one which also focuses on small and mid-cap. Generally I think Barings are a decent fund house, and know their way around Europe stocks...
  • Options
    Recently I've read several articles touting small-caps - both UK specific, and globally, as a sector that might out-perform as countries emerge from the worst of Covid. The argument in very broad terms is that the most nimble companies are able to seize the opportunities for change that the virus has created. That argument broadly  works for me; what do you all think? Anybody got any reccos for small-cap funds ?

In this article, which argues the case for Europe generally, which I also agree with, they tout Barings Europe Select Trust, as one which also focuses on small and mid-cap. Generally I think Barings are a decent fund house, and know their way around Europe stocks...
    Blackrock's Throgmorton investment trust is very well run (I am close to the PM and he is very good) for UK small caps - in an ideal world buy at a discount but you may be waiting a while.
  • Options
    Bad day for the markets. Partly spooked by export figures from China showing their prices rising by 6% and therefore inflation heading this way. Then payroll figures from the USA & then  thoughts that interest rates may need to have to rise sooner than expected. 

All this has led to the FTSE100 being down almost 200 points at 2.30pm. Now at 6930. Watch out if the Dow opens lower..........
  • Options
    Who knew tech stocks were so overvalued hey...

TSLA driving weak mkt performance (no pun intended). Says it all that there haven't been too many days like this so far this year. Got to love the commentators calling it a 'correction'. You're 50% up on most ishares from May 2020, this is a small bump. US hasn't been as weak as futs suggested going into their open, I'd imagine this is all forgotten about in a couple of days
  • Options

A long term staple of mine has been Black Rock Smaller Companies.  That's an Investment Trust but I think they have a fund equivalent.  Personally I always go for the ITs for liquidity and transparency reasons, as I may have mentioned once or twice.   TRG has always done well for me, which is European focused.

I totally agree with the premise, particularly for UK stocks.  I've been looking at anything that was doing well until last March and is still solvent, so should get back to those levels.  Lots out there in finance, oil, construction, media, retail. etc.  Have stayed clear of commercial property and travel though - still not sure we're through all the pain for them.

Still holding lots of (established) tech, though.  Top-sliced and went back in which is working well.  Tailwinds are still there for the likes of Microsoft, Amazon, Paypal, Fortinet, etc..
  • Options
    With the demand for housing in London as it is at the moment,please could someone explain the following.
    My son lives in Finchley on an Estate that is 70 percent rented and 30 pc owned.He has recently tried to sell his maisonette and has had several offers,but none of the people who wanted his property could get a mortgage,due to the high level of rented dwellings.yet he had no trouble getting  a mortgage 4 years ago through Halifax who now will not lend to a subsequent buyer.
  • Options
    With the demand for housing in London as it is at the moment,please could someone explain the following.
    My son lives in Finchley on an Estate that is 70 percent rented and 30 pc owned.He has recently tried to sell his maisonette and has had several offers,but none of the people who wanted his property could get a mortgage,due to the high level of rented dwellings.yet he had no trouble getting  a mortgage 4 years ago through Halifax who now will not lend to a subsequent buyer.
    Are you sure its down to that & not something else...?  Cladding ? Concrete blocks & not brick as I've not heard of that before. 
  • Options
    Doesn't this just mean the banks believe we're living in a bubble?

I wouldn't personally lend anybody money to buy a house at today's inflated prices. If I did I wouldn't expect to get it all back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A long term staple of mine has been Black Rock Smaller Companies.  That's an Investment Trust but I think they have a fund equivalent.  Personally I always go for the ITs for liquidity and transparency reasons, as I may have mentioned once or twice.   TRG has always done well for me, which is European focused.

I totally agree with the premise, particularly for UK stocks.  I've been looking at anything that was doing well until last March and is still solvent, so should get back to those levels.  Lots out there in finance, oil, construction, media, retail. etc.  Have stayed clear of commercial property and travel though - still not sure we're through all the pain for them.

Still holding lots of (established) tech, though.  Top-sliced and went back in which is working well.  Tailwinds are still there for the likes of Microsoft, Amazon, Paypal, Fortinet, etc..
    Yes, some of the better performing funds recently are from the Mid to Small Cap areas. Howver, my favourite (Premier Miton UK smaller companies) now has a 5% initial charge. Other faves of mine are FP Octopus UK Micro Cap and Marlborough UK Micro Cap
  • Options
    Are you sure its down to that & not something else...?  Cladding ? Concrete blocks & not brick as I've not heard of that before. 
    That is what Halifax say,they cannot lend money where so many of the properties are rented,and yet they lent the money to my son 4 years ago.Their is no cladding,the buildings are very sound,and to be honest very reasonably priced for a property in North London,he has had 3 buyers who really wanted the property ,all refused mortgages.He is at the moment looking into the legal side of things to see if their is any negligence or oversight on either the surveyor or his solicitors part.
  • Options
    That is what Halifax say,they cannot lend money where so many of the properties are rented,and yet they lent the money to my son 4 years ago.Their is no cladding,the buildings are very sound,and to be honest very reasonably priced for a property in North London,he has had 3 buyers who really wanted the property ,all refused mortgages.He is at the moment looking into the legal side of things to see if their is any negligence or oversight on either the surveyor or his solicitors part.
    feel free to DM me with more details (property address etc) and I'll speak to various lenders about it as I'm sure there will be some who will lend, even if the Halifax don't. 
  • Options
    That sounds bizarre, not even sure how they would know what properties are let or not nearby.
  • Options
    feel free to DM me with more details (property address etc) and I'll speak to various lenders about it as I'm sure there will be some who will lend, even if the Halifax don't. 
    Sorry ,I have a tremor which sometimes causes me to press buttons more than once,I am not sure how to dm ,but I think I have done it ok,really appreciate any information.
  • Options
    My Helium One shares have nearly trebled in less than a month on the Aim market - may prove a profitable investment for a change. Huge worldwide demand for Helium will certainly drive this forward should drilling prove successful - early signs look promising.
  • Options
    My Helium One shares have nearly trebled in less than a month on the Aim market - may prove a profitable investment for a change. Huge worldwide demand for Helium will certainly drive this forward should drilling prove successful - early signs look promising.
    I was wondering who mentioned this the other day - I got in on this off your suggestion previously, seems very promising, if they hit a pocket of Helium it could really take off..
  • Options
    I was wondering who mentioned this the other day - I got in on this off your suggestion previously, seems very promising, if they hit a pocket of Helium it could really take off..
    There is a finite supply of helium which drives its value and it has numerous applications - any helium drilling project that is successful will deliver big returns. Helium One has a relatively positive press so far and I just hope the drilling is successful.

I didn't really know much before about how valuable helium is and the level of demand.
  • Options
    This should have said 'nearly trebled in less than two months'.
  • Options
    There is a finite supply of helium which drives its value and it has numerous applications - any helium drilling project that is successful will deliver big returns. Helium One has a relatively positive press so far and I just hope the drilling is successful.

I didn't really know much before about how valuable helium is and the level of demand.
    Yep, I wasn't aware of it's value or importance either, and with the first mover advantage He1 has in the area and the seemingly positive outlook of a successful drill, I've gone quite deep on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, some of the better performing funds recently are from the Mid to Small Cap areas. Howver, my favourite (Premier Miton UK smaller companies) now has a 5% initial charge. Other faves of mine are FP Octopus UK Micro Cap and Marlborough UK Micro Cap
    The Octopus and Marlborough managers have a good track record but I notice that Giles Hargreave moved on last year.  
  • Options

Yep, I wasn't aware of it's value or importance either, and with the first mover advantage He1 has in the area and the seemingly positive outlook of a successful drill, I've gone quite deep on it.
    Let's hope it works out. My stake is pretty small - not brave enough to risk more.

• Options
    Forgive me if mentioned elsewhere within the thread, but does anyone here know anything about investing in whisky? I'm a complete novice but hear good returns can be made?

Is it as simple as buying a bottle of Macallan and sitting on it for 5 years? 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Forgive me if mentioned elsewhere within the thread, but does anyone here know anything about investing in whisky? I'm a complete novice but hear good returns can be made?

Is it as simple as buying a bottle of Macallan and sitting on it for 5 years? 
    You can buy casks or part of a cask, where you have to wait for it to mature and also allow for the angel’s share.

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/pieces-of-eight/?ml_subscriber=1685625455257851123&ml_subscriber_hash=a0w3

For an investment of about £1k now, you could get back over £6k in 8 years time.
  • Options
    My Wife wants to cash in a life policy that has a surrender value of 12K.  The problem is she is just under the 40% tax fresh hold. Is there anyway she could use the remaining tax allowance of mine, so only 20% is payable?  Perhaps a gift or is it possible to transfer the policy in to my name etc.   Any one got any clever ideas.

Evidently the Company holding the policy do not stop the tax at source unlike a pension being cashed in.     
  • Options
    My Wife wants to cash in a life policy that has a surrender value of 12K.  The problem is she is just under the 40% tax fresh hold. Is there anyway she could use the remaining tax allowance of mine, so only 20% is payable?  Perhaps a gift or is it possible to transfer the policy in to my name etc.   Any one got any clever ideas.

Evidently the Company holding the policy do not stop the tax at source unlike a pension being cashed in.     
    Are you sure there is Tax to pay on this. Has this Policy attracted tax relief on the ingoing payments, is it in some way attached to a pension. If tax is payable it may only be on the Capital Gain on the policy, so that would not be the full £12,000. What makes you believe tax is payable.... ?
  • Options

Are you sure there is Tax to pay on this. Has this Policy attracted tax relief on the ingoing payments, is it in some way attached to a pension. If tax is payable it may only be on the Capital Gain on the policy, so that would not be the full £12,000. What makes you believe tax is payable.... ?
    No there was no tax relief on the ingoing payments.

As you say, I have read online tax should only be payable on the Capital Gain but was unsure.  My wife phoned the company today and the person didn't know, she went to ask and just said it did come under taxation but didn't express any detail.

Am I right in thinking from what you indicate, the premiums less the surrender value is the only part that is due tax?    

The company used to be GRE but the policy got taken over by ReAssure, it isn't very helpful when they have people on the phone that don't seem to have knowledge on the policy's. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Depends what type of "life assurance" policy it is.....qualifying or non-qualifying. I would find out exactly what type of policy it is as most would be qualifying & no tax payable. If tax was payable I dont think it would come under CGT rules but would be "top-sliced" and added to her income. If that then puts her into the 40% tax bracket she'll pay higher rate tax on (part) of the gain. Policies can be assigned to another person but you would have to find out if this one is able to.

Also GRE (Guardian Royal Exchange) died many years ago so policy must be 30+ years old.