Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Just read I can contribute from my ltd company to an SIPP pre tax! Happy days. Anyone anyone recommend? I’m leaning towards vanguard, would rather have a stocks and shares isa somewhere else to play the market for now. 
    I've just been through some research on brokers, as I'm moving away from HL after 30 years.

For ISAs I went with IG - they have direct market access, which is already saving me money, better transaction fees and rebates and overall, FX rates are slightly better than HL for, say, US shares.  The transfer process has been excruciating - something needs to be done about that.

For the SIPPs, I'm considering Interactive Brokers as they have much cheaper FX, direct market access, much broader product ranges and professional level interfaces.  The complication is that you have to set up a separate administrator and all the ones I spoke to are inundated at the moment and complaining about the same delays on transfer as incumbents slow the process down.  I did buy shares on one of those administrators though (STM) and made a quick turn!
  • Options
    Feel like these businesses have already become my entire life and only one of them has launched.

Absolutely loving it, hopefully going live on the second business (which is a business whereas the Peep show one is a hobby) later today. 
  • Options
    what is the second one ?
  • Options
    Just read I can contribute from my ltd company to an SIPP pre tax! Happy days. Anyone anyone recommend? I’m leaning towards vanguard, would rather have a stocks and shares isa somewhere else to play the market for now. 
    I've just been through some research on brokers, as I'm moving away from HL after 30 years.

For ISAs I went with IG - they have direct market access, which is already saving me money, better transaction fees and rebates and overall, FX rates are slightly better than HL for, say, US shares.  The transfer process has been excruciating - something needs to be done about that.

For the SIPPs, I'm considering Interactive Brokers as they have much cheaper FX, direct market access, much broader product ranges and professional level interfaces.  The complication is that you have to set up a separate administrator and all the ones I spoke to are inundated at the moment and complaining about the same delays on transfer as incumbents slow the process down.  I did buy shares on one of those administrators though (STM) and made a quick turn!
    It certainly does. Cost me significant money when I moved to H-L. Just before the referendum. Assumed it would be done and dusted before the vote. Took them 4 weeks, in which time of course there was a market surge.

So I guess the learning for SIPP newbies is, choose carefully as you don't want to be shifting again too soon.
  • Options
    Between Fidelity, HSBC and ii they messed up my transfer to varying degrees. But it actually helped due to timing where the market went down when I was out, but could have also worked the opposite way!

One thing that surprised me was the transfers from Fidelity were all by way of a cheque, not helpful at the beginning of a national lockdown and offices closed! Thought it was all electronic these days.

The lions share of mine is now with ii. Really pleased with them from a cost perspective although still find it amazing I have to work out myself what my total return is (they only show you growth on current investments, not past sales of profit/loss)
  • Options
    what is the second one ?
    Literally just took over ownership.

It is, bizarrely, a lash lift company hahah

https://barelash.com/
  • Options

It certainly does. Cost me significant money when I moved to H-L. Just before the referendum. Assumed it would be done and dusted before the vote. Took them 4 weeks, in which time of course there was a market surge.

So I guess the learning for SIPP newbies is, choose carefully as you don't want to be shifting again too soon.
    I was advised by the administrator - sell all your shares and transfer as cash, much quicker.  

I asked if they were prepared to fund the 2% round trip dealing costs (with commission, spreads, fx, stamp duty, could be even higher ...) .... funnily enough not.  So the choice is - pay 2%+ or wait 2-3 months.  That is piss poor in the electronic age.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Good luck with that.

Where are you sourcing these deals from?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Good luck with that.

Where are you sourcing these deals from?
    https://exchangemarketplace.com/

There's loads of rubbish on there but some real gems. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

The other week I met up with a couple of chaps I normally go to LeMans with as it's not likely to be on again this year. One of them, their son has a 'trainer' business, he's just turned 18 and turning over in excess of £40k a month. Whilst I was there the UPS driver 'George' (first name terms!) turned up with over 100 boxes of trainers. Fantastic business that's netting him over £5k a month, about 50% he never touches as his supplier delivers direct to the end customer all over the world.

It's all app based and during lockdown he was doing all manner of goods, he's been banned from a few stores including Argos for buying up all the game machines!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

The other week I met up with a couple of chaps I normally go to LeMans with as it's not likely to be on again this year. One of them, their son has a 'trainer' business, he's just turned 18 and turning over in excess of £40k a month. Whilst I was there the UPS driver 'George' (first name terms!) turned up with over 100 boxes of trainers. Fantastic business that's netting him over £5k a month, about 50% he never touches as his supplier delivers direct to the end customer all over the world.

It's all app based and during lockdown he was doing all manner of goods, he's been banned from a few stores including Argos for buying up all the game machines!
    Hahah that is brilliant! E-commerce is undoubtedly the future for almost any business. The idea of taking on substantial overheads absolutely terrifies me. 

Sounds like your mate's son has a brilliant dropship model going as well as obviously holding some stock. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Hahah that is brilliant! E-commerce is undoubtedly the future for almost any business. The idea of taking on substantial overheads absolutely terrifies me. 

Sounds like your mate's son has a brilliant dropship model going as well as obviously holding some stock. 
    It's very clever, although maybe not morally 100%! His app notified him last year that Argos had 70 odd games machines in, by the time he got online there were about 50 left so he bought the lot, near on doubling his outlay within days.

He's had an app built that constantly scours certain websites, on some of them he loads up what he wants into the app and it automatically will order, even takes into account discount codes, Unidays etc (and sets up accounts) . He's selling certain trainers for £4-500 quid that he's buying for around £300. he had some air Jordans (about 30 pairs) that he was selling for £800+, madness. I wouldn't know where to start aside from Sketchers  :D
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

It's very clever, although maybe not morally 100%! His app notified him last year that Argos had 70 odd games machines in, by the time he got online there were about 50 left so he bought the lot, near on doubling his outlay within days.

He's had an app built that constantly scours certain websites, on some of them he loads up what he wants into the app and it automatically will order, even takes into account discount codes, Unidays etc (and sets up accounts) . He's selling certain trainers for £4-500 quid that he's buying for around £300. he had some air Jordans (about 30 pairs) that he was selling for £800+, madness. I wouldn't know where to start aside from Sketchers  :D
    i know some one who does this, buys special edition trainers and flips them for more than double the price.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Sorry - does this all relate to plimsolls? 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

i know some one who does this, buys special edition trainers and flips them for more than double the price.
    Thats about the size of it, he even has about 40 people signed up at £25 a month who he's teaching, but currently hasn't released the app to anyone else as that'd shoot himself in the foot pardon the pun. I did suggest he could licence the app o a monthly fee and probably make as much as the selling he's currently doing.

bobmunro
    said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Yup, Woolworth specials  :D
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Thats about the size of it, he even has about 40 people signed up at £25 a month who he's teaching, but currently hasn't released the app to anyone else as that'd shoot himself in the foot pardon the pun. I did suggest he could licence the app o a monthly fee and probably make as much as the selling he's currently doing.

bobmunro
    said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Yup, Woolworth specials  :D
    Teamed with Tesco Bombers for the perfect look!
  • Options
    Well my SIPP has reached a new all time high, thanks a lot to MI CHELVERTON UK which is up a stonking 55% since my investments in July and November last year, really should have gone all in as I'd be retiring now  :D
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well my SIPP has reached a new all time high, thanks a lot to MI CHELVERTON UK which is up a stonking 55% since my investments in July and November last year, really should have gone all in as I'd be retiring now  :D
    I thank you....😉.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I thank you....😉.
    I do believe it was you who suggested it  :) so yes, thanking you!

I'm sorely tempted to take some profit out of it though much like I did with some of the American funds, 55% is obscene in 10 and 7 months. 
  • Options
    I must have been asleep earlier in the year, didn't realise our lovely chancellor had frozen the LTA amount until at least 2026. So much for increasing annually.  :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Scalping is not a fantastic business.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Sourcing in demand goods for re-selling. It may be modern day tech but little different to Del boy/Alan Sugar/market trader!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I must have been asleep earlier in the year, didn't realise our lovely chancellor had frozen the LTA amount until at least 2026. So much for increasing annually.  :(
    Yes, announced in the Budget in March. The fact that it is going to be frozen at around £1.080,000 for the next 5 years, when it was due to be at £2m in 2010 shows how much pension rules have been changed and how much the Treasury is taking in excess tax charges. 
  • Options
    Anyone got a trading 212 stock and shares isa? Was gonna use a stocks and shares isa throughout the year and then put in my £4K allocation into my LISA before end of March to get the government 1k bonus. Trading 212 is commissionless, and for small amounts I’m putting in it’s fine? Just wondering if any good/horror stories  
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    arny23394 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    what is the second one ?

Nice!

Sourcing in demand goods for re-selling. It may be modern day tech but little different to Del boy/Alan Sugar/market trader!
    I’ve found a niche I could do this for, it’s very very niche but could possibly buy and sell with up to 500-1000% mark up on eBay. Think I might do it as a side hustle. 
  • Options
    I use T212 but not for my S+S ISA, just for small investments in shares, I'm not playing with a lot of money on shares so using my HL ISA just doesn't make sense as they charge like £10 p/trade.

I like the T212 app and interface, commissionless but obviously make their money through the buy/sell price spread, can trade in different exchanges etc (though I think the FX rate is another way they make money), and seem to have a pretty good choice of shares from what I can tell.
  • Options
    I use T212 but not for my S+S ISA, just for small investments in shares, I'm not playing with a lot of money on shares so using my HL ISA just doesn't make sense as they charge like £10 p/trade.

I like the T212 app and interface, commissionless but obviously make their money through the buy/sell price spread, can trade in different exchanges etc (though I think the FX rate is another way they make money), and seem to have a pretty good choice of shares from what I can tell.
    Yeah i notice their buy sell spread before, just looking to swing/position trade rather than any day trading. So those differences dont really matter to me. My S&S isa wont ever be more than £4k at this rate, and it'll eventually find its way to my LISA until i can buy a property. 
  • Options

Yeah i notice their buy sell spread before, just looking to swing/position trade rather than any day trading. So those differences dont really matter to me. My S&S isa wont ever be more than £4k at this rate, and it'll eventually find its way to my LISA until i can buy a property. 
    Just put it straight in your LISA, the quicker you do the quicker you get the £1k bonus and start making money on that as well, no point waiting until the end of March.
  • Options
    https://www.businessweekly.co.uk/news/local-sharewatch/sareum-holdings-plc-buoyed-white-knight’s-£900k-investment

Sareum are doing some interesting research and I've invested in them on AIM. Their work is related to cancer and covid treatment - early days but shares have moved up steadily.
    Bought in at 1.76p in October and now trading at 6.5p - their research seems to be grabbing attention. As with all AIM shares it could crash but looks promising ..
  • Options
    https://www.businessweekly.co.uk/news/local-sharewatch/sareum-holdings-plc-buoyed-white-knight’s-£900k-investment

Sareum are doing some interesting research and I've invested in them on AIM. Their work is related to cancer and covid treatment - early days but shares have moved up steadily.
    Bought in at 1.76p in October and now trading at 6.5p - their research seems to be grabbing attention. As with all AIM shares it could crash but looks promising ..
    Nice, just remember a profits only a profit when you take it! Not sure how much you bought but at 4 times your stake I'd be tempted to take some, even if just taking your money back and sitting on the profit, all free money then!