Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    S&P & DJI for me - no Brexit negotiation GBP interference.  

Reckon they will bottom about 2,300/22,000 - i.e. unwind the Trump surge and be on their way back by then - 2880/26,000

20 quid in a whip and to be shared over a few beers while we mull over the pre-season marquee signings in August .... 
  • Options
    Take your point about UK indices, @WishIdStayedinthePub, but isn't the Dow also vulnerable to very specific Trump pump-priming "policies" so close to the election? I was thinking maybe the FTSE All- World index would be a better one for this purpose?

Anyone else feel like giving this a go?
  • Options
    Take your point about UK indices, @WishIdStayedinthePub, but isn't the Dow also vulnerable to very specific Trump pump-priming "policies" so close to the election? I was thinking maybe the FTSE All- World index would be a better one for this purpose?

Anyone else feel like giving this a go?
    Fair point on election year
  • Options
    I'd say the FTSE100 could drop to about 6250/300 over the next few weeks, but by end of July it'll be back up to low 7000's, maybe 7150.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Anyone dabbled in property? Seriously thinking about buying a cheap place to do up and sell on, once I get back to the UK. Know research is key, but wondered if anyone had any genuine experience and advice. Cheers
    Tough at the moment to buy, do up and flip, I have some BTL's but you need to pick your area carefully.
    Looking up North, Stoke on Trent seems to keep coming up

It's a area ripe for this. Lots of property needing attention that can be picked up for a song - and the market in general for decent houses it very strong. So you shouldn't have a problem flipping once renovated, or maybe better still renting to students (Staffs and Keele Universities).
    Mate of mine had 4 houses in Stoke until last month. Bought the first one about 6 years ago and then added the others over the next few years. Admittedly he didn't do much to them but had them all rented out for pretty much the whole time. When he sold them I think he only really got his money back and when considering selling costs made a loss. 
    He did have the rental income over the years so he was up on the deal but not as much as he originally hoped.

Also don't ignore the geographical implications, although property in Stoke is cheap being London based meant that it made it difficult and more time consuming to deal with any problems that arose. 
    The plan would be to get a place that is falling apart, keep within a tight budget and do most (95%) of the work myself.

For example - I found a place in Stoke for £36k guide price, the place next door sold in 2017 for £96k. I know there's a lot more factors to think of, but that would be the kind of place I'd be looking at. If the overall out lay was £60k, and the whole thing took a year, from buying it to actually selling it, that would be the outcome we'd be happy with.
    It's highly likely the tax man will see this as your occupation/it is an investment rather than your main home, and therefore CGT would apply, especially if you never live in it. But if you register in your name and your wife's you've got two CGT allowances then.

Stamp Duty will be more of a mute point and may be down to your solicitor's interpretation. I'd be concerned on taking a year to do up a place, you need to be in and out much quicker, what happens if the housing market crashes or starts dropping? A Years too long.

Student rentals although lucrative are hard work much like any HMO's and quite rightly regulations are getting tougher, but the returns can be good.

@bobmunro what's a 4 bed HMO suitable property for Keele/Staffs likely to cost?

Cheers mate.

I'd hope the actual renovation would only be a couple of months but allowing upto 12 months to include the time it may be on the market.

• Options
    Let Em All Come Down To The Valley
  • Options
    Let Em All Come Down To The Valley
    Thank you for that. But what's your prediction for the FTSE All-world index on 31 July? :-)
  • Options
    Wrong thread
  • Options
    Ok, so currently FTSE All World index stands at 343.87. I'm going to go for (based on Saturday morning 1. August European time) 354.19

the 52 week range for this index is 324.16 - 383.39
  • Options
    If this thing drags on for months I can't see what will stop the market falling? What will make it bottom out given the ongoing hysteria?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If this thing drags on for months I can't see what will stop the market falling? What will make it bottom out given the ongoing hysteria?

Markets always look forward and discount the future.  There is obviously considerable uncertainty about the ultimate course of this infection (mainly around the timing and the height of the peak) but regardless of how bad things get, I think it's generally agreed that the effects by definition will be time limited.  Given that the most obviously impacted sectors (eg airlines, cruise lines) have already seen their share prices cut 30-50% then arguably they are already discounting a very bad scenario which may or may not transpire.  Some of these sectors will obviously experience true demand destruction (albeit with scope for a subsequent sharp snapback) but others will only experience some degree of deferred demand at worst.

Even at a broad equity index level (which includes many sectors where the impact should be somewhat limited eg utilities, defence), from a technical standpoint these are looking extremely 'oversold' (I look at the 14-day 'Relative Strength Index' [RSI] which is at levels which when touched in recent years (eg Jun 2016, Jan 2018, Oct 2018) preceded very strong 2-3 month rallies. 

Markets tend to overshoot in both directions for various behavioural and technical reasons, so even if the infection tracks as expected then there may be further to go down, but with interest rates being cut across the world (justifying a higher multiple on [reduced] earnings), China pumping liquidity into their weakened economy and Trump desperate for re-election in November, it wouldn't take much to trigger a massive rally.  For what it's worth I have 55% of my investment portfolio in equities and I'm sitting on my hands as painful as it looks on my valuation.

• Options

Markets always look forward and discount the future.  There is obviously considerable uncertainty about the ultimate course of this infection (mainly around the timing and the height of the peak) but regardless of how bad things get, I think it's generally agreed that the effects by definition will be time limited.  Given that the most obviously impacted sectors (eg airlines, cruise lines) have already seen their share prices cut 30-50% then arguably they are already discounting a very bad scenario which may or may not transpire.  Some of these sectors will obviously experience true demand destruction (albeit with scope for a subsequent sharp snapback) but others will only experience some degree of deferred demand at worst.

Even at a broad equity index level (which includes many sectors where the impact should be somewhat limited eg utilities, defence), from a technical standpoint these are looking extremely 'oversold' (I look at the 14-day 'Relative Strength Index' [RSI] which is at levels which when touched in recent years (eg Jun 2016, Jan 2018, Oct 2018) preceded very strong 2-3 month rallies. 

Markets tend to overshoot in both directions for various behavioural and technical reasons, so even if the infection tracks as expected then there may be further to go down, but with interest rates being cut across the world (justifying a higher multiple on [reduced] earnings), China pumping liquidity into their weakened economy and Trump desperate for re-election in November, it wouldn't take much to trigger a massive rally.  For what it's worth I have 55% of my investment portfolio in equities and I'm sitting on my hands as painful as it looks on my valuation.

Agree with much of what you say but it's unusual for uncertainty to last over a period of months in the way a pandemnic does. The downward trickle may continue for some time.

Somebody will make big money out of this.
  • Options

Agree with your analysis - down some more on this leg and then a bounce - but I have a nagging doubt about how far this one could ultimately go.  Yield inversions have famously predicted 9 out of the last 5 recessions.  But yield inversions followed by a yield spike and then collapse have tended to be much more accurate arbiters of doom.  

Maybe the promise of a massive Trump fiscal pump will be the last hurrah but I suspect it will be a lower high.  China really worries me.  You just can't trust any data coming out of there and people are sent to jail or disappear because they sell stock or just give a negative opinion.  If something gives in China, that would justify a 20-30% drop.
  • Options
    Ok, so currently FTSE All World index stands at 343.87. I'm going to go for (based on Saturday morning 1. August European time) 354.19

As a Brit I dont generally look at the FTSE All World Index, but will take a stab at it being higher than your prediction. I'll go for 365.

The FTSE to be at 7000. No money on these though..... just for fun.
  • Options

As a Brit I dont generally look at the FTSE All World Index, but will take a stab at it being higher than your prediction. I'll go for 365.

Sorry Golfie, I just had to LOL that first bit. Are you advising clients only to Buy British? Good man, if so...except that you realise that the FTSE100 might as well be called the FTSE 100 roubles, don't you?

Anyway FWIW, my forecast pretty much fits with yours, but your forecast means that FTSE 100 would be some 10% below its 52 year high, and so I am not sure that means you could claim it's all gone away by then, as Ralphie will still be looking somewhat dismayed at his holdings...
  • Options

Was going to say drops to 313 and by August is back up to 356, so not a lot of fun in that!
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Sorry Golfie, I just had to LOL that first bit. Are you advising clients only to Buy British? Good man, if so...except that you realise that the FTSE100 might as well be called the FTSE 100 roubles, don't you?

Anyway FWIW, my forecast pretty much fits with yours, but your forecast means that FTSE 100 would be some 10% below its 52 year high, and so I am not sure that means you could claim it's all gone away by then, as Ralphie will still be looking somewhat dismayed at his holdings...
    No, just that working in the City for a few years & having a TOPIX screen in front of me I have been accustomed to gauging things by UK indices, then US & Japan. I'm.also well aware that the FTSE100 us very heavily weighted by just a few stocks but it's a good indicator of where the market is heading.

And my prediction is based on where YOU said it could be on 1st August. Of course it means about a 10% fall from where it was at the start of the year, but a lot better than where a few on here said it could be....(seeing as these discussions have mainly been fueled by a few posters anguising over their portfolios & the falls they've seen this week) and the general doom & gloom that currently surrounds equity markets 

FWIW (and I think I said this upthread) I wouldn't be surprised to see the FTSE around 7500 by the end of the year.
  • Options
    I wouldn't predict where the markets will be in a few months, as it's like predicting where Charlton "will be" by the close of the transfer window in August.

However, I will be looking at doing S&S ISAs for me & the wife in both tax years in the next couple of months, as I am certain that the next few months are a great buying opportunity.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    End of year
    5 %    FTSE above 7000 ........ 45%       6500-7000 ......45%    6000-6500 ........5% Below 6000

Years ago used to spread bet  the Dow and ftse on City Index , IG index , financial spreads etc prolly 20 years ago and lose small fortunes 
    I remember you had to sell the Diff Dow/ftse at 4000 it was never going wider than that 🤪

values were around 10k and 6k on those indexes 
  • Options
    OK I'll make a note somewhere of people's predictions above, any more want to give it a go? No money, no one-up -man -ship. Choose the index you are personally comfortable with.

But only @oohaahmortimer is allowed to do spread %s, as he has trademarked the thing,  the rest of us have to man up and go for one figure per index.:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ftse all world 330
    ftse 100 6200 
    shock horror I’m doom and gloom 
  • Options
    Ftse all world 330
    ftse 100 6200 
    shock horror I’m doom and gloom 
    OK mate, cheers.

You've always been right about our away support numbers so I'm paying close attention to this...
  • Options
    FTSE 100.

August 1st

6765 and people releived it has recovered some ground after getting hit further in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Oil down 20% and Asian markets down 5.4% in early trading.  

Looks like it's going to be another ugly day tomorrow.
  • Options
    Oh dear.........
  • Options
    FTSE sub 6,000...... get your money in!!
  • Options
    All of a sudden, that meagre 1.2% cash ISA rate is looking more and more prudent.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    All of a sudden, that meagre 1.2% cash ISA rate is looking more and more prudent.
    Switch it to a stocks & shares isa!
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I understand your sentiment.  But over the last 13 years that would have lost me 5.5% year on year, even at these low levels.  In other words I'd only have half the money in my pension that I have now.  And that's if I sell today.
  • Options
    Seems to be constant panic at present - suprised at the rate things are dropping.