Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Almost impossible for Joe public to find any sort of return for their savings. 
    I'm currently in an ISA paying 1.4%. This runs out in June  and I doubt I will find anything near as good then.
    Probably just put it all in premium bonds until things change. 

If you pull it out of the ISA you won't be able to put it back and will lose the 'tax free' element permanently. A lot depends of course on your own tax position.

May not make a lot of difference now but if interest rates increase (big if) then it may be something you regret.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Almost impossible for Joe public to find any sort of return for their savings. 
    I'm currently in an ISA paying 1.4%. This runs out in June  and I doubt I will find anything near as good then.
    Probably just put it all in premium bonds until things change. 

If you pull it out of the ISA you won't be able to put it back and will lose the 'tax free' element permanently. A lot depends of course on your own tax position.

May not make a lot of difference now but if interest rates increase (big if) then it may be something you regret.
    Good point
  • Options
    Another day of ugly results in the stock market.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Couldn't agree more.

Interest rates cut to absolute rock bottom and the largest spending boom announced in the Budget since God knows when and still the traders don't like the uncertainty.  
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Couldn't agree more.

Interest rates cut to absolute rock bottom and the largest spending boom announced in the Budget since God knows when and still the traders don't like the uncertainty.  
    Stock markets HATE uncertainty. Once Covid 19 is under control, both here & overseas, then I expect things to get back to some sort of normality. Heard the peak here in the UK is likely to be in a week or 2 so I reckon by Easter things will be a lot clearer.

On a side note. The Budget didnt bring much good news regarding the usual changes in tax reliefs or allowances - some are set to rise in line with CPI in any case so no change to CGT, income tax rates etc.

Except one. Pension annual allowance tapering. Was at £110k now gone up to £200k. Great news for most of my clients & means that virtually all will have the standard £40k annual.alliwance rather than it being reduced (some down to just £10k).

Whooppeee.
  • Options
    As an amateur investor with a diversified portfolio, I am bricking it at the moment. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    As an amateur investor with a diversified portfolio, I am bricking it at the moment. 
    If the diversification includes fixed interest & property as well as equities then the losses shouldn't be as bad as what you are reading about. If markets fall 5% I suggest your portfolio will only fall 2-3%.
  • Options
    Nearly 300 down ftse futures 5570 ish 
    dumper 
    average they cried and cried 
    put more on moron 
    Poxy markets 

• Options
    I'm down 17% in 17 days! 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If the diversification includes fixed interest & property as well as equities then the losses shouldn't be as bad as what you are reading about. If markets fall 5% I suggest your portfolio will only fall 2-3%.
    Correct. Am still concerned with bad news after bad news. Even you thought the Corona virus impact was over on Monday but just take a look what's happened since. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just keep remembering the market looks forward and discounts the future - it's obviously hard to define but if markets continue to fall (eg FTSE now down 27% for the year) then they will be discounting a worst-case scenario which may very well not occur. 
  • Options
    As an amateur investor, I've read a lot of posts on here and have a lot of respect for the knowledge and expertise of those who post on here and share their knowledge so freely and openly.

But I honestly think this situation is not going to right itself in a couple of months. This has now got the smell of complete panic all over it. I said at the start of the week the FTSE could fall through the 5000 barrier this week. That may not happen now this week but if the panics continue it could well happen next week. 
  • Options
    So if I do not need or cannot access my investment for at least 3.5 years ( Im 51years old ) should I be ready for HariKari or ignoring the whole thing. My investments down 7% as of yesterday  
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It's clear to me that a lot of financial 'experts' are as clueless as the rest of us. This is unchartered territory and a rolling problem with no real historical precedent to base your views on. 

I can see the FTSE dropping down to 3700 if Governments don't get a grip of this. Every day there seems more evidence of governments in denial.
  • Options
    I have a pension I was going to draw down on in May.
    Given the situation would it be better to defer this for a year and let the stock market hopefully recover?
  • Options
    The FTSE has dropped over 2000 points in a month and heading for 30% down.
  • Options
    So the floor was 6500. Tomorrow you expect the floor to be 6300 and the next floor could be 6000/6200.
    Can you tell us in your bizarre language, your prediction figure for when the basement is reached ?
    As I said, I have no idea.

All I was doing is giving the benefit of my 35 year experience of watching the markets. The FTSE isn't going to fall through the floor tomorrow & end up at 4000 points. The US brought in "circuit breakers" after the 1987 crash (no idea if they still have them) which was supposed to stop a complete meltdown. Once the FTSE gets to a certain point traders (and even some posters on here) will start to buy again. 

Also, I didn't say the floor was 6500 as if it was a given. More that this week 6500 has been tested & has shown there is some resistance there. Seeing as the Dow Jones has has fallen more than 4% today I would imagine the FTSE will start lower tomorrow, but only as a knee jerk reaction. There is a level at which it will stabilise. I'm guessing 6300 for the short term. No idea about the next couple of months but stand by my assertion that in 6 months things will be better. FTSE above 6750 & more likely 7000.
    Clearly.
  • Options
    So the floor was 6500. Tomorrow you expect the floor to be 6300 and the next floor could be 6000/6200.
    Can you tell us in your bizarre language, your prediction figure for when the basement is reached ?

All I was doing is giving the benefit of my 35 year experience of watching the markets. The FTSE isn't going to fall through the floor tomorrow & end up at 4000 points. The US brought in "circuit breakers" after the 1987 crash (no idea if they still have them) which was supposed to stop a complete meltdown. Once the FTSE gets to a certain point traders (and even some posters on here) will start to buy again. 

Also, I didn't say the floor was 6500 as if it was a given. More that this week 6500 has been tested & has shown there is some resistance there. Seeing as the Dow Jones has has fallen more than 4% today I would imagine the FTSE will start lower tomorrow, but only as a knee jerk reaction. There is a level at which it will stabilise. I'm guessing 6300 for the short term. No idea about the next couple of months but stand by my assertion that in 6 months things will be better. FTSE above 6750 & more likely 7000.
    Clearly.
    As I said earlier nobody has a clue. We're heading towards 5000 and the virus hasn't really kicked in yet. 
  • Options

Clearly.
    As I said earlier nobody has a clue. We're heading towards 5000 and the virus hasn't really kicked in yet. 
    Absolutely, but the majority of us aren't pretending  we do know, even if we are in the industry.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I will admit I'm getting a bit concerned, but more so because I have 2 or 3 clients with things maturity in June & need the FTSE100  to be at a certain level for them to pay out a profit. If the FTSE is below 4500 then they may actually start losing money. 

However, as I've said before, the markes fall on uncertainty & rise with certainty. I still have no idea when all this madness will stop, but I certain that it will & things will recover.......and sooner than some may think.

As for @iainment. May time maybe a bit early for things to have righted themselves so I fear you may have to wait a few months after that before taking your pension. Depending in what you were planning on doing that is. Probably not the best time to buy an annuity but going into Drawdown & only taking a partial Tax free lump sum might be ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will admit I'm getting about concerned, but more so because I gave 2 or 3 clients with things maturity in June & need the FTSE100  to be at a certain level for them to pay out a profit. If the FTSE is below 4500 then they may actually stay losing money. 

However, as I've said before, the markes fall on uncertainty & rise with certainty. I still have no idea when all this madness will stop, but I certain that it will & things will recover.

As for @iainment. May time maybe a bit early for things to have righted themselves so I fear you may have to wait a few months after that before taking your pension. Depending in what you were planning on doing that is.
    I was looking to use my private pension to allow me to work part time until I retire next summer. My IFA tells me that I might still get the quote in full as there doesn’t seem to be a market rate reduction clause in the paperwork. So hopefully I’ll be ok, if not I just work through to when I’m 66.
  • Options
    I will admit I'm getting a bit concerned, but more so because I have 2 or 3 clients with things maturity in June & need the FTSE100  to be at a certain level for them to pay out a profit. If the FTSE is below 4500 then they may actually start losing money. 

However, as I've said before, the markes fall on uncertainty & rise with certainty. I still have no idea when all this madness will stop, but I certain that it will & things will recover.......and sooner than some may think.

As for @iainment. May time maybe a bit early for things to have righted themselves so I fear you may have to wait a few months after that before taking your pension. Depending in what you were planning on doing that is. Probably not the best time to buy an annuity but going into Drawdown & only taking a partial Tax free lump sum might be ok.
    But there has to be a point where the selling is overdone? The market seems to be factoring in for coronavirus on a daily basis.

• Options
    FTSE down nearly 10% today - it's almost like people want a death spiral. 
  • Options
    As an amateur investor, I've read a lot of posts on here and have a lot of respect for the knowledge and expertise of those who post on here and share their knowledge so freely and openly.

But I honestly think this situation is not going to right itself in a couple of months. This has now got the smell of complete panic all over it. I said at the start of the week the FTSE could fall through the 5000 barrier this week. That may not happen now this week but if the panics continue it could well happen next week. 
    Just got in from a lovely walk and a quick top-up shopping at my local supermarket (where there is no pasta and only a handful of toilet rolls left!) to find the FTSE is now down over 500 points and the Dow has opened over 2000 points down). My prediction of the FTSE falling through the 5000 mark this week still on!

Let's hope the traders feel more confident soon! 
  • Options

Just got in from a lovely walk and a quick top-up shopping at my local supermarket (where there is no pasta and only a handful of toilet rolls left!) to find the FTSE is now down over 500 points and the Dow has opened over 2000 points down). My prediction of the FTSE falling through the 5000 mark this week still on!

Rivalling 1987 at present.....
  • Options

Yup. Sadly I remember it well. 

But this is worse and I fear the market will fall much further before someone says enough. 

• Options

Yup. Sadly I remember it well. 

But this is worse and I fear the market will fall much further before someone says enough. 

I'm hoping it will bottom out around 3700 to 3750 which is approx 50% below value at start of year. If it drops below that even my extreme pessimism will have been exceeded.

A lot of people will really suffer from this.
  • Options

Yes, I saw that too. High yield US bonds in trouble. So not only are equities tanking so is fixed interest. 

Time to be holding Gold perhaps.....?
    Even gold has been dropping due to fears of deflation!

I still think this is a 1987 style crash, which will recover reasonably quickly for the reasons you state, Golfy, if the virus and oil fallout turn out to be temporary and we don't tip into a full blown recession.  If the latter, it will take a bit longer, but it won't be 2008.

At least it's good news on the Charlton front ... it does feel like the 1980s in many ways ...
    For my own purposes, I'm sticking with my 1987 template ....

.. but the FTSE All World has already almost reached my target low of 280 so getting a bit twitchy.

Question then is, is the bull market really over?  Looks like it and, if so, there should be one more opportunity to get out, at maybe 10% from the highs.  If not, roll on the Roaring twenties (which also recovered after the Spanish flu) and off we go again.

With the FTSE 100, if it breaks below 4600 before it recovers, then we ARE in uncharted territory as that breaks a channel going back to 1987.  I think we'll all be working at lot longer in that case. 

Usual caveat, just another mug punter ....
  • Options
    Jeez....,,., but thank you HSBC for royally cocking up my isa transfer, saved me a fortune!!
  • Options
    Two of the top 10 one day Ftse falls this week - very impressive.