Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• clive said:
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/academy-fixtures-confirmed-202223

The Premier League have announced that the Professional Development League will become an U21 competition from the start of the 2022/23 season.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/change-academy-age-parameters-u23-u21
    Tough game to start the U18 campaign
  • @seth plum in the past seasons the structure for PDL Div 2 (what we play in) has been 2 Divisions North and South. You play all the teams in your division twice home and away. Because the leagues are not large, you play the teams in the other division once a mixture of homes and aways. The cup competition is the Premier League Cup and involves Div 2 and Div 1 (Cat A academies) teams. This is normally a group of four and you play all teams home and away with top teams going through to the knockout stage. At the end of the season top 2 in each Div 2 division play semi-final and then final play offs. After writing that it could all be a load of old crap and the structure could all be different this season :smiley:
  • Great info. Thanks.
  • It has been announced that the new season will be for under 21s.

Up to five over age players allowed.

Steve Avory has agreed with the change saying it is clear by the age of 21 if a player has a first team future.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Steve Avory has agreed with the change saying it is clear by the age of 21 if a player has a first team future.
    Interesting comment given the likes of Clayden are around still
  • 21 also makes sense, seeing that's it's when a player counts as part of the EFL squad numbers.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Interesting comment given the likes of Clayden are around still
    There may be one or two but we have had many 20-22 year olds that were never going to play first team football in recent years.

One Clayden is ok but 4 or 5 isn't.
    To me Clayden has only featured so regularly in pre-season due our dismal lack of depth at LB and indeed of left footed players, rather than because Garner really rates him
  • What Avory actually says 

"We’ve always regarded it as an U19 to U21 programme in terms of the development aspect of it, because it’s our belief that when a player gets to 21 he should be ready for senior football. We obviously aim for that senior football to be here in our first-team, but if it’s not here it will be elsewhere.”

PS @admin can you change the thread title to U21s
  • Just seen the U21 squad on the CAFC website and it includes Jacob Roddy. I thought he was long gone 
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    Just seen the U21 squad on the CAFC website and it includes Jacob Roddy. I thought he was long gone 
    He had a long term injury.
  • Elewere? Is that the kid we signed from Wealdstone?

Very good result against a Cat 1 side.
  • Last night last U21 pre season friendly Crystal Palace 0 Charlton 4.
    goals from Kanu, Ladapo, Williams, and Ness. Team Harness, chin,
    Clayden, Henry, Elerewe, Ness, Santos, Anderson, Kanu, Williams, and Ladapo. Subs Bakrin, Molyneux, Barker, Adigun, Gavin. Only Barker, and Adigun came on.
    Nice one fellas, it's great beating them pricks at anything.
    Sha la la.
  • The U23's play Luton U23's at Hitchin tomorrow night.  That will be a good workout for them.
  • Last night last U21 pre season friendly Crystal Palace 0 Charlton 4.
    goals from Kanu, Ladapo, Williams, and Ness. Team Harness, chin,
    Clayden, Henry, Elerewe, Ness, Santos, Anderson, Kanu, Williams, and Ladapo. Subs Bakrin, Molyneux, Barker, Adigun, Gavin. Only Barker, and Adigun came on.
    I'll take that.  A small morsel of comfort in a Charlton world of never ending, whats? Ifs! And buts! (Bloody hell, I'm obsessed with pegging now!)

Stripey no mark South London wanabes...
  • The U23's play Luton U23's at Hitchin tomorrow night.  That will be a good workout for them.
    The game is now postponed.
    The game is now postponed.
    Waterlogged pitch, perhaps.
  • Is there a stream?
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually I think there is going to be one on YouTube.
    Brilliant if true.
  • This will give hints to the sort of team we will field tomorrow.
  • I found this, no idea if it will work or if it is the right place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_5A25CNjs
  • Henry, Chin, Kanu with the seniors tomorrow?

Assuming Leaburn and Clayden are staying there for the time being.

Anyone else missing?
  • Any major names missing from that, other than Kanu, Ness, Chin and Henry? Imagine they, plus Clayden, MacG, Gilbey and a couple of others start tomorrow night
  • edited August 2022
    I get the feeling it won't be streamed as both Burnley and Charlton merely mention updates.
    Are those silly buggers sites on youtube?