Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boycott the Boycott

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I was there but I don't know for certain. I can't recall the gate size. I would imagine, unusually, that it would make one side of this argument wrong and the other right! Airman has said that the gates were higher - the numbers would be interesting.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

Doucher you keep going on about RD selling if we get promoted to the Championship

Well I'm prepared to have a charity bet for the Upbeats that if and when we get promoted to the Championship he won't sell within the first season up

So the bet will only settle if the scenario of us getting promoted to the Championship with RD still as owner happens (then see if sold after promotion till the end of first season up) all other instances it will be a no bet

Ok, but only if the same bet applies should we stay diw

Doucher you keep going on about RD selling if we get promoted to the Championship

Well I'm prepared to have a charity bet for the Upbeats that if and when we get promoted to the Championship he won't sell within the first season up

So the bet will only settle if the scenario of us getting promoted to the Championship with RD still as owner happens (then see if sold after promotion till the end of first season up) all other instances it will be a no bet

only if the same bet applies in reverse should we stay down and he doesnt sell in the first season -£20?
    I've never stated a belief that the weirdo is gonna sell if we go down ,go up , go nowhere , he's a fruit bat and there is no rationality behind him owning Charlton

I'll put treble your £20 in to Upbeats if the promotion to the Championship arrives and he sells in that first season.... Is that more appealing
    Not really - my view has always been that he will go quicker if we go up hence the change in strategy and acceptance that the model has failed

• Options

The only person/people that are being hurt by the boycott are the boycotters.

Looking around the covered end last saturday afternoon and Tuesday night and it was full of people that are there for the social side of the game, the hope of seeing a good match and if they are lucky a win and if they are really lucky a good season. The signs are they are going to get all of these. Boycotting makes no sense because if the team does well then others will go to the valley (a la premiership years) buy the tickets and sit in those vacant seats.

But the team isn't going to do well, the ownership will see to that. It may do OK but what is on offer is third tier football, which we know from repeated experience does not attract additional supporters in any number and certainly won't replace those lost.

In reality, the people who boycotted Selhurst were vastly outnumbered by others who would have watched top flight football at The Valley but said no, not there, not in these circumstances - we can't be bothered.

That's what Meire and Duchatelet are achieving with their "unique offer" to watch the future stars of other clubs.

No need to argue about that - Meire was very clear that's what they want the club to be. It's only "unique" in the sense of being foolish as an objective and many absent fans are simply saying no, not now, not with you in charge - we can't bothered.

They can only fail.
    Selhurst was slightly different in that even if supporters supported the idea of ground sharing, the sheer effort required to get there would put some off. If Charlton had ground shared with a mythical "Woolwich United" then the attendances would have been higher

I'm sure L1 football is having an effect. If Riga had somehow managed to scrape us to safety last season, I suspect attendances would be higher, even though we had the same owner with the same "philosophy"
    L1 football is probably the single most reason gates are down, so far. Of course the negativity of the boycotters emphasising it's all Roland, Katrien and the regime's fault will have been a deciding factor for some but in reality it would have been the crap football last season, the inability to score and defend and the prospect of worse in L1 and the promise of the certain relegation by some on here that has probably made most fans stay away.

A good run by Russel's team of what is looking like players you can easily associate with as a charlton fan and get behind and support and the more positive attitude that's been shown by the fans in the ground in backing the team and manager will draw more fans back to the valley.

And if you don't think this team will do well just read the comments about Holmes, Ajose etc so far and consider that they've not yet had a lot of game time together to gel properly.

On tuesday night the covered end bars were doing a roaring trade at half time with queues I thought would never clear when I first saw the back of them snaking around but actually did move quickly with pre-poured pints so not much of a sign the boycott giving the regime money has a lot of support there.

It's personal choice whether to boycott or not but if the team does well the boycott will have had hardly any impact and the only losers will be those that stayed away on principle when they'd rather be watching football at the valley.
    There's an element of truth in that but 1) why are they substantially down on where we were last time we were in League One (all three seasons) and 2) why did gates fall year on year in the Championship too. The answer is the ownership.

I don't really believe people are going to get mugged off again with false promises - witness the continuous chanting about the regime of many of the people at Walsall, for example.

As far as the football is concerned, it will take a bit more than four/five games to establish where this team is heading and that alone will determine whether there is a "more positive attitude", but in any event you'll have a long wait for the 4,000-5,000 that are missing. Unfortunately some of them will have been lost for good already.

A few seasons of League One under these muppets and crowds will fall even more.
    With the continued lack of success gates would probably have deteriorated anyway but the poor football and the negative message that was being put out by everybody protesting and moaning, me included, will have put people off from renewing and attending, at least for the first few games. The recent positivity about the team, manager, players and the support that's being given by those fans attending home and away matches will start to draw fans back. September's gates will give a better indication of the impact of the boycott
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Redskin said:

@Airman Brown
    So you know people who have been in 'direct contact' with RD? Who might they be? I know, I know, you can't say.
    But RD has told them it was KM who prevented potential buyers from meeting him.Is that what you're trying to imply here?

You haven't been keeping up.
    Enlighten me.
    Oh, you mean Varney. So RD was willing to discuss a potential sale with him but KM put the the kibosh on it. Right.
    Yet twice this has been exactly the narrative set out in emails. Why doesn't RD kill it off at the outset if that's his position? Why did he enter into the latest dialogue at the behest of a third party at all? I don't have the answers.

Of the initial exchange, Meire says there was no point in her having the meeting - despite RD promising it would happen - because the club was not for sale, but RD subsequently said they didn't know it was an offer to buy the club. Are we supposed to believe she knew and he didn't? And why then did he get involved in the second set of exchanges? It doesn't stack up.
  • Options
    I'm in no doubt that there are many boycotting due to the owners but hopefully performances on the pitch will help convince that what got us relegated has now been replaced - crucial we get the midfielder or 2 we need now
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The only person/people that are being hurt by the boycott are the boycotters.

Looking around the covered end last saturday afternoon and Tuesday night and it was full of people that are there for the social side of the game, the hope of seeing a good match and if they are lucky a win and if they are really lucky a good season. The signs are they are going to get all of these. Boycotting makes no sense because if the team does well then others will go to the valley (a la premiership years) buy the tickets and sit in those vacant seats.

But the team isn't going to do well, the ownership will see to that. It may do OK but what is on offer is third tier football, which we know from repeated experience does not attract additional supporters in any number and certainly won't replace those lost.

In reality, the people who boycotted Selhurst were vastly outnumbered by others who would have watched top flight football at The Valley but said no, not there, not in these circumstances - we can't be bothered.

That's what Meire and Duchatelet are achieving with their "unique offer" to watch the future stars of other clubs.

No need to argue about that - Meire was very clear that's what they want the club to be. It's only "unique" in the sense of being foolish as an objective and many absent fans are simply saying no, not now, not with you in charge - we can't bothered.

They can only fail.
    Selhurst was slightly different in that even if supporters supported the idea of ground sharing, the sheer effort required to get there would put some off. If Charlton had ground shared with a mythical "Woolwich United" then the attendances would have been higher

I'm sure L1 football is having an effect. If Riga had somehow managed to scrape us to safety last season, I suspect attendances would be higher, even though we had the same owner with the same "philosophy"
    L1 football is probably the single most reason gates are down, so far. Of course the negativity of the boycotters emphasising it's all Roland, Katrien and the regime's fault will have been a deciding factor for some but in reality it would have been the crap football last season, the inability to score and defend and the prospect of worse in L1 and the promise of the certain relegation by some on here that has probably made most fans stay away.

A good run by Russel's team of what is looking like players you can easily associate with as a charlton fan and get behind and support and the more positive attitude that's been shown by the fans in the ground in backing the team and manager will draw more fans back to the valley.

And if you don't think this team will do well just read the comments about Holmes, Ajose etc so far and consider that they've not yet had a lot of game time together to gel properly.

On tuesday night the covered end bars were doing a roaring trade at half time with queues I thought would never clear when I first saw the back of them snaking around but actually did move quickly with pre-poured pints so not much of a sign the boycott giving the regime money has a lot of support there.

It's personal choice whether to boycott or not but if the team does well the boycott will have had hardly any impact and the only losers will be those that stayed away on principle when they'd rather be watching football at the valley.
    There's an element of truth in that but 1) why are they substantially down on where we were last time we were in League One (all three seasons) and 2) why did gates fall year on year in the Championship too. The answer is the ownership.

I don't really believe people are going to get mugged off again with false promises - witness the continuous chanting about the regime of many of the people at Walsall, for example.

As far as the football is concerned, it will take a bit more than four/five games to establish where this team is heading and that alone will determine whether there is a "more positive attitude", but in any event you'll have a long wait for the 4,000-5,000 that are missing. Unfortunately some of them will have been lost for good already.

A few seasons of League One under these muppets and crowds will fall even more.
    With the continued lack of success gates would probably have deteriorated anyway but the poor football and the negative message that was being put out by everybody protesting and moaning, me included, will have put people off from renewing and attending, at least for the first few games. The recent positivity about the team, manager, players and the support that's being given by those fans attending home and away matches will start to draw fans back. September's gates will give a better indication of the impact of the boycott
    Really? The club will stuff AFC Wimbledon with comps and good luck with Oldham on a Tuesday night in midweek before FFAF.

It's the club's lack of credibility that is most damaging - the "negative message" is driven by the reality not the response.
  • Options
    I don't think you really get it. There are supporters who have been supporting the club for many years, many decades who are not going. There are a lot of them not going. They still support our team - in fact they are doing what they are doing because they love the club.

I was much younger in the Selhurst days and I held a similar view to yours at that time. I came to realise over time that those that didn't go (unlike me) were part of the solution and I was not a better supporter than them. In fact if more people were like I was, we probably would be a dead club by now.

But some people needed to go and support the team. Enough didn't to make the point. I see similarities with now.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RD (for it is he): Katrien, I'm too old and too tired for all these problems at Charlton.I want to talk to this Varney character about selling the club.

KM ( for it is her): I absolutely forbid it

RD: You seem to forget who's the boss here.

KM: Be quiet, you old fool. I said 'No' and that's an end to the matter.

RD: *Sigh* As you wish...

This happened.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

DOUCHER said:

do me a favour - if rd wanted to sell, he would - if a buyer wanted to buy, he would send rd's bank an offer - its that simple. There is no official boycott, card main players r attending games, most with season tickets. Get down there, help the team get promoted and rd can sell up - dave 21 is right - don't b a martyr - its irrelevant and only hurting yourself

Could you help me out with RDs bank details?

I've an offer he can't refuse.

I can't but there again, I'm not trying to buy the club - if I were, I would find out without too much trouble, as would any other businessman
  • Options

I have been going to every game for every season. My boycott is a bit more subtle than a plain boycott - I will go to a small number of games because I am a Charlton fan and will be till I die. But it will be a small number and I wont spend a penny at the club outside of those few tickets. I am making a stand in my opinion because a) It hurts me not to go - it's bloody hard and b) I am spending a massive amount less.

I would say in terms of your son Santa - take him. You can't have him supporting Chelsea can you?

Thanks for the reply Muttley. Giving the bar and food stalls a swerve sounds like a good plan. Fingers crossed we put on a show against Bolton or the second half is going to be a tough sell :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The covered end bar was doing a roaring trade at half time last Tuesday so I suspect it won't be too difficult to not give the regime any money if anybody doesn't want to
  • Options
    No one just hands out their bank details do they.

Seriously if An offer is made to Roland, Katrien is certain to be involved as the buyer will need to do some due diligence on the figures in the accounts etc, and that has to go through Katrien.

How much RD listens to her views none of us really know do we?
  • Options

Seriously if An offer is made to Roland, Katrien is certain to be involved as the buyer will need to do some due diligence on the figures in the accounts etc, and that has to go through Katrien.

If a deal were to be done, the first thing that would happen would be that the respective banks of the parties would be in communication verifying funds. If that isn't done, everything that follows could be a waste of time. I doubt Katrien would be involved in any of that.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

If a deal were to be done, the first thing that would happen would be that the respective banks of the parties would be in communication verifying funds. If that isn't done, everything that follows could be a waste of time. I doubt Katrien would be involved in any of that.
    That is just not right though.

A deal works like this:

Either a bidder makes an unsolicited offfer to the Board or owners of the shares or;
    Seller initiates a sale process.

Currently it looks like bidder initiated.

Depending on the bidder, the seller may look to some form of proof of funds or banking covenant to be able to raise them. Mostly this is done later but could be done now to weed out bidders without any cash.

Katrien wouldn't need to be involved in this process, but probably would be because if it's a serious bid with a short timescale, this can happen in 1 to 2 days with then a requirement to provide additional information and access happening immediately after.

Very surprised if any bid for Charlton does not get considered by Katrien alongside or realistically before RD
  • Options
    Gillis said:

DOUCHER said:

there is no boycott and the atmosphere is good but will be better with more people - if u can forget the politics you will have a good day out but the kit might have to wait

How can you claim that there is no boycott, when many people have clearly stated that they are boycotting?
    I'm boycotting ............ along with 4500 + other ex season ticker holders... but I know nothing about an official boycott ? CARD did suggest that people refrain from buying season tickets until late summer but since when were CARD an "offical body" anyway? They're just a bunch of fans pissed off with the destruction of our club who have come up with some great ideas for protesting.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    <

Redskin said:

Redskin said:

@Airman Brown
    So you know people who have been in 'direct contact' with RD? Who might they be? I know, I know, you can't say.
    But RD has told them it was KM who prevented potential buyers from meeting him.Is that what you're trying to imply here?

You haven't been keeping up.
    Enlighten me.
    Oh, you mean Varney. So RD was willing to discuss a potential sale with him but KM put the the kibosh on it. Right.
    Yet twice this has been exactly the narrative set out in emails. Why doesn't RD kill it off at the outset if that's his position? Why did he enter into the latest dialogue at the behest of a third party at all? I don't have the answers.

Of the initial exchange, Meire says there was no point in her having the meeting - despite RD promising it would happen - because the club was not for sale, but RD subsequently said they didn't know it was an offer to buy the club. Are we supposed to believe she knew and he didn't? And why then did he get involved in the second set of exchanges? It doesn't stack up.
    It may have been mentioned before (confess to not having read entire thread) but the person with most to lose from a sale by RD is of course Katrien Meire. No incomer is going to retain her as CEO
    and whilst Duchatelet would no doubt find her another post in the network it is unlikely it would be as prestigious as the CEO role at Charlton.

Plus, I'm sure she would be reluctant to give up living in London, a cosmopolitan city she knows well from her LSE days.

For her own purposes we cannot be sure that Meire tells RD everything and certainly not everything which may be put to her in discussing the potential purchases of the club.

Duchatelet joked after the Varney approach failed that he didn't know what the nature of the proposed investment was - "it could have been a Billboard - yes? Ha. Ha." Well, many a true word spoken in jest - did he really not know exactly what was proposed because he wasn't told?

- wasn't it the case that Meire kept putting off a meeting with Varney and did she underplay what was on offer to Duchatelet when acting as the go-between?

A nice salary, a flat in London, the opportunity to try innovative marketing ideas (the fan's sofa, the hospitality areas) now a place on the FA Council, hmmmmm!!!
  • Options

Gillis said:

DOUCHER said:

there is no boycott and the atmosphere is good but will be better with more people - if u can forget the politics you will have a good day out but the kit might have to wait

How can you claim that there is no boycott, when many people have clearly stated that they are boycotting?
    I'm boycotting ............ along with 4500 + other ex season ticker holders... but I know nothing about an official boycott ? CARD did suggest that people refrain from buying season tickets until late summer but since when were CARD an "offical body" anyway? They're just a bunch of fans pissed off with the destruction of our club who have come up with some great ideas for protesting.
    4500 season ticket holders didn't renew, they are not necessarily all boycotting. Shit football, relegation and the negativity around the ownership will have put people off renewing.

If the team starts to do well (and the past two games have genuinely given us a lot to look forward to) then the call for a 'boycott' could turn out to be an own goal for the protest as fans do decide to renew/return and the valley attracts new fans (as is the case for most teams that have a good season)

• Options
    edited August 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Gillis said:

DOUCHER said:

4500 season ticket holders didn't renew, they are not necessarily all boycotting. Shit football, relegation and the negativity around the ownership will have put people off renewing.

If the team starts to do well (and the past two games have genuinely given us a lot to look forward to) then the call for a 'boycott' could turn out to be an own goal for the protest as fans do decide to renew/return and the valley attracts new fans (as is the case for most teams that have a good season)

Based on those I have spoken to, a large percentage of non-renewers are boycotting
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Gillis said:

DOUCHER said:

Based on those I have spoken to, a large percentage of non-renewers are boycotting
    I may be completely wrong but I suspect that it is likely you won't have spoken to a significant percentage if the 4,500 to get a meaningful indication and that it is also likely the people you have spoken to are not a random cross section of the 4,500 but are probably likeminded protesting fans.

Without identifying if it is a meaningful cross section, if say 100 fans post on here they are boycotting and not renewing but will go to away games only it would at first seem to be a good indication that charlton would be taking 3 to 4,000 fans on their travels this season but in reality all that may happen is the number that do go will be boosted by some of those 100 and the rest of us that go to an extra early season away game do so because it's a cheap train ticket, it's a sunny day, we think we might win, etc etc
  • Options

Gillis said:

DOUCHER said:

It's more than 4500 since the regime took over. A number of people (myself included) started boycotting at the end of the 2014/2015 season. So, yes we are around 4500 down on last year, but we had 15k+ when we were in League One and the Championship under Chris Powell. This means that in reality we have lost roughly 10k season ticket holders since Roland took over. The effect of these people being in charge for only a few years has already been devastating from a fan base point of view. The longer they stay in charge, the worse it is going to get.
    We haven't had 15k season ticket holders since 2007/08 (in the Championship). We did have about 11,300 in 2012/13 (in the Championship), which was the peak in recent seasons.
  • Options
    You can already see this amazing winning run, in the football hot bed of third tier English football, will lead to at least 10k of home fans showing up plus the 2k-4k of no shows and 1k of Bolton fans
    So as with letthegoodtimestroll I'll be extremely disappointed if gates aren't topping 15k regularly proving there is no boycott /or we've replaced you no showers and of course Roland is winning
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Gillis said:

DOUCHER said:

I may be completely wrong but I suspect that it is likely you won't have spoken to a significant percentage if the 4,500 to get a meaningful indication and that it is also likely the people you have spoken to are not a random cross section of the 4,500 but are probably likeminded protesting fans.

Without identifying if it is a meaningful cross section, if say 100 fans post on here they are boycotting and not renewing but will go to away games only it would at first seem to be a good indication that charlton would be taking 3 to 4,000 fans on their travels this season but in reality all that may happen is the number that do go will be boosted by some of those 100 and the rest of us that go to an extra early season away game do so because it's a cheap train ticket, it's a sunny day, we think we might win, etc etc
    Of course I havent spoken to a significant percentage, that would be impractical.

However they are a reasonable cross-section of different gender and age, comprised of those who have protested and those who have been relatively non-active in protests.

It matters not anyway because you have your view and any comments to the contrary are not considered by you to be of import.
  • Options

Football is not like a T20 cricket (with all due respect to true cricket supporters) where there is a whole lot of gimmicky window dressing as there is a lack of confidence in the core product. I went to a Surrey T20 cricket match about a month ago and the game was almost incidental to the majority of the people attending. It was tolerable to have a beer in the sunshine for something, people didn't seem bothered about. The cricket was a backdrop.

Yes. As a traditional cricket fan those people annoy me, went to a game at the Oval recently and it really was a brilliant game yet the majority of fans didn't even notice. Spent more time standing up discussing the next round of drinks and no blocking my view (Bloody ell I sound old). I felt very Charlton telling them to 'siddarrn'.

Anyway my point before I started waffling was that those people that go to T20 games go as a one off, it's a novelty. Think there was a maximum of 9 T20 games at the Oval this year. That sort of person goes to one or two for a jolly and an evening out. They are not up for a 45+ game season including plenty of shit cold evenings where we lose to some chappy team we've never heard of.
  • Options

My five year old boy mentioned wanting a Chelsea kit this morning. My first reaction was to reject the little shit and put him up for adoption but my other half isn't playing ball. The next idea was to get him down to The Valley to see a game next week. Can I break the boycott in these extreme circumstances or is soaking up the atmosphere in SE7 going to do more harm than good?

Yes. Take him. 100%the right thing to do. You take him to the valley, tell him about the first time you walked down Floyd road. Tell him how excited you were. Tell him about your childhood Charlton hero's! Tell hom the history of this great club. Then get him into the ground let him soak it all in. Teach him valley Floyd road, let him find his own Charlton hero's. Try sitting near the tunnel so he can be near the players as they walk in/out and he can try for autographs. Try sitting in the north where there is a bit of an atmosphere. Get him hooked. Then when he can't get away, explain what has gone on in the last few years and why we are doing what we are doing and he will be all for it.

But securing the next generation of Charlton supporters is more important.