Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes (ed. Pg 4 - joined Oxford on season loan)

Comments

• Options
    A shame for him, the sort of individual talent that as a fan you love to see 

It does seem that he was at his physical peak when playing for Northampton and us. In retrospect the move to Sheffield United worked out well for both him and us, as he got a bigger salary while we got a fee for a player who would soon start to struggle...
  • Options
    Massive fan of his when we had him, shame to see him retire at a relatively young age 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Was certainly a very exciting player to watch, though I often felt like we played very one dimensionally when he was in the team. 
    That's because everyone else was shit!

He was a great player for us and scored some great goals.

Harsh on Kevin Foley. 
  • Options
    On his day could be unplayable.
  • Options

And that's why you shouldn't begrudge a player leaving for money

He will be a lot better set up financially by his 3 year deal at Sheff Utd than he would have been staying with us.

Wish him all the best as he was a good player for us

Very good point.

Good luck to him in the future.
  • Options
    In my opinion the best player during his time at the club, which definitely ranks amongst the worst I recall in the 40+ years I have been going. Will always remember the Shrewsbury game and the cracking free kicks against AFC. 
  • Options
    I always liked him as a player but I felt he was a bit too much of an individual.  It may well have been the players around him that made him that way - hence it worked for him with us.

It is rare to get a Charlton player so direct that could get you off your seat but he managed it but sadly his body, specifically his back, just gave out on him.

I wish him all the best

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Was certainly a very exciting player to watch, though I often felt like we played very one dimensionally when he was in the team. 
    That's because everyone else was shit!

He was a great player for us and scored some great goals.

Harsh on Kevin Foley. 
    Kevin Foley and Andrew Crofts. Those two being in our midfield were the absolute doldrums of Charlton football in recent years. In the minus numbers for flair and creativity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good thing we sold him when we did in hindsight, hasn't been fit since by the looks of it, which is a shame as he was a bloody good player. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    He was an 'edge of the seat' player. We don't get that many of those at Charlton whatever level we are playing at at the time.

Thanks for what you did for us Ricky, in the highly unlikely event of you ever reading this, and best wishes for a long and happy retirement.
  • Options
    Shame to see any player having to pack up before they should, especially  when on his day he was a class act.
    Hope it works out for him.
  • Options
    I think all sides need someone with a bit of individual magic, as there are times when you aren't playing well, all the pretty patterns you worked out on the training pitch are coming to nothing, and what you need us a goal from nowhere, someone who goes past a couple of players and smashes it in from 20 yards.
  • Options
    Acworth's tweets are gold.
  • Options
    Ac aint worth it Rickaaaaaay
  • Options
    Good player. Took some great free kicks. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Not certain to retire yet

Every chance this might happen I’m not done yet. Should read I’ve thought about retirement but will try my upmost to regain fitness
  • Options
    Not certain to retire yet

Every chance this might happen I’m not done yet. Should read I’ve thought about retirement but will try my upmost to regain fitness
    This is like when Pardew announced Powell was retiring as a player (or something along those lines) and quickly had to backtrack when Powell said he wasn’t actually retiring! Obviously no hard feelings as they were working together in the Netherlands last season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Not all our fans are wishing Ricky the best...

Such a weird reaction. This Ac guy sounds like a bellend generally.

Holmes' move, which was a tough one, probably ended up being good business for everyone bar Sheffield United. But it was one that made sense at the time. They looked headed for promotion. We got a 6 figure fee for a player who relied on skill and a turn of pace but I believe was 30+. He wanted to go to be reunited with his former manager. And hopefully he got one last pay day at Sheff United. 

One of the few in the Roland era where we signed him at a good time and sold him at a good time. 

Was great to watch on his day. Frustrating at times. But a match winner at others. It's a shame he never really got to do it above League One.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    I would genuinely like to laugh at what he's said, but actually it's so fucking embarrassing he brings shame on us all. I know there's "something not quite right" about the bloke, but why do we have to put up with jokers like this just because he's a "bit of an oddball". Bloke's an embarrassment and has been for just about as long as I can remember.
    We put up with him because he’s a direct descendent of God or something like that. 

Soon enough he will bring us the investor we all desire just give it time
  • Options
    Ackworth probably doesn't even realise what an idiot he has, yet again. made of himself - he accuses Holmes of being a mercenary for leaving for double the money so, by virtue of that and his chronic injury, he made the right decision to go! 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    I would genuinely like to laugh at what he's said, but actually it's so fucking embarrassing he brings shame on us all. I know there's "something not quite right" about the bloke, but why do we have to put up with jokers like this just because he's a "bit of an oddball". Bloke's an embarrassment and has been for just about as long as I can remember.
    It would be a bit boring if everyone was the same.
    Dont feel embarrassment on his behalf. Let the kooks, the missfits and the mavericks stir some colour in.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Dont feel embarrassment on his behalf. Let the kooks, the missfits and the mavericks stir some colour in.
    So they can insult people without recourse or sanction as long as they add a bit of colour? Ok.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Nothing changes apart from time. 30 years  ago JA would have been saying the exact same thing but on a Sunday evening live on air with RTM
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    So they can insult people without recourse or sanction as long as they add a bit of colour? Ok.
    That is absolutely fine with me. That is partly why Twitter exists.
    While I don't agree with Acworths opinion, he is entitled to have one of his own.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Nothing changes apart from time. 30 years  ago JA would have been saying the exact same thing but on a Sunday evening live on air with RTM
    You'd have thought he might have mellowed with age...