Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best "Resignations"

Comments

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited September 2016
    Did it nearly 15 years ago, small but well paid service contract company, I was running a team of gas & electricity meter readers from a very plush office in cavendish square.
    The team and other colleagues were OK, but hated my boss, lasted 3-4 months. Got to the stage when I dreaded each morning and hated the journey into work, basically there were other contracts run by colleagues that were clearly priority, and mine were at the bottom of the pile. Hence I never got the backing or feedback from my boss, neither did the contracts I ran, in the end, I woke up one morning and decided enough was enough, and emailed his boss and cc'd mine, telling them I was resigning forthwith, and laying out my reasons, including my observations about lack of support and feedback. Never heard from them again.

I remember getting made redundant from a telecoms company in the late 90's, manager asked me to attend an "exit interview" with HR, I just played along when I got there, told them that there was no point having an exit interview as the reason I am leaving is you, not me, they then offered me £500 to throw a farewell party at a local pub, when I said stick it, my boss was genuinely gutted that he and others couldn't go out on the lash at my expense (career wise, not the money) he was a real David Brent though, total dick.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Not myself but my current manager chucked his resignation in recently.
    Said manager has worked there for over 18 years. Left school joined the firm and stuck it out as the company grew. By all accounts the response to the notice being handed over was that the company couldn't give a collective fuck.
    The city is a cruel beast.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I’d finished my CSEs at school (for what they were worth) and Dad asked me my plans. I had my job lined up starting in August and planned that the interim months would be spent popping into school, playing a bit of cricket and general relaxation.

This seemed to turn Dad (who hitherto had a perfect record of being a wonderful, perfect human being), into a raging bull. He delicately pointed out that if he was sweating his arse off to put food on the table, the least he expected of me was to get an effing job. Dad also shocked me when he called me a name (lazy *) that questioned his own fatherhood.

Two days later I found myself working in Woolworths, manhandling about a ton of the gardening product ‘dried blood’. from the back of a lorry up to the stockroom. This was hardly what I’d planned, as the dust from the product choked the hell out of me and removed all moisture from my mouth for the following three days..

On day two I was told in no uncertain terms by a young couple in the stockroom to get lost for twenty minutes. I was a very naive 16 year old and wondered why they didn’t require my help. Very strange.

Midday day three. The smarmy manager handed me a bucket, a brillo pad and a pair of pink rubber gloves. I was shocked to learn that he expected me to remove the black deposit that gathers at the base of the counters. He seemed equally shocked when I told him that I had no intention of doing it. There followed a frank exchange of views. It ended in me requesting that he made my cards be made up. I recall wondering if that was the correct terminology as the words left my mouth. Either way I was on a roll now and demanded that he should do it forthwith as I dramatically headed for the door.

Phew, the blast of cold air on my face as I left the cauldron of the shop was pure heaven.

I cut a forlorn character on the bus home though as I considered the less than spectacular start to my working life. Maybe God had made a mistake, placing me in a lifestyle that wasn’t really my bag? And then there was Dad, what was I going to tell him?

What happened with your dad as a result of all this?!?!!
    It was meant as a rhetorical question @Huskaris :smile: It was all OK though he thought I’d done the right thing and in any case I picked up another job in a couple of days. Ir was 1970 and casual work was always available - if you wasn’t too fussy.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Large (as above) knows that i run a recruitment business and i have had some fantastic stories of "enforced resignations" over the years ....

Once upon a time we had a long contract for what was ,to all intents and purposes " a printer/ machine minder"..all this person had to do was work an overnight shift ,tear off a few automatically produced reports and walk them over to the right desks,person was allowed to bring in a book to while away the hours ,it really wasnt a problem if they nodded off for a bit.This was the pre internet and mobile phone era but about the time CCTV was being introduced .Well after about 9 months of performing above task with no complaints client phoned to explain that the young man we had put into the job was filling in those solitary down time moments with a little help from Mr Palm and his five finger friends , in fact a lot of help,almost record proportions.

He didnt question his need to resign

Was it the fact he didn't have any thumbs that made the job a bit tricky?
  • Options
    Eep. Good luck, @Huskaris.
  • Options

Thanks. Think I'll just email him. Don't want him giving me aggro down the phone.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Just had a phone call from the recruiter who placed me (went to voicemail) he doesn't sound happy that the company have asked for the placement fee back because I left. Feel a bit bad for the guy but at the same time recruiters regularly shaft people so I'm not going to lose sleep. Wants to talk to me apparently...

Fuck 'em. No offence to any recruiting agents on here, but from both sides of the fence I've dealt with some absolute showers of shit, and I firmly believe that any decent recruiting agent would understand.

After all, they don't want to risk their reputation by placing someone who is unhappy or going to be disruptive. If they're a professional they'll understand, chalk it up to a bad match and handle their client relationship.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Thanks. Think I'll just email him. Don't want him giving me aggro down the phone.

As someone who massively avoids confrontation, I totally sympathise.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2016
    Huskaris said:

Just had a phone call from the recruiter who placed me (went to voicemail) he doesn't sound happy that the company have asked for the placement fee back because I left. Feel a bit bad for the guy but at the same time recruiters regularly shaft people so I'm not going to lose sleep. Wants to talk to me apparently...

Any decent recruiter wouldn't lose the fee as they'd find a free replacement for you (because they're so well networked and knowledgable...).

Not an issue other than he has to actually do some more work.

*Not a recruiter myself - just worked in the industry for over 12 years...
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Huskaris said:

Fuck 'em. No offence to any recruiting agents on here, but from both sides of the fence I've dealt with some absolute showers of shit, and I firmly believe that any decent recruiting agent would understand.

After all, they don't want to risk their reputation by placing someone who is unhappy or going to be disruptive. If they're a professional they'll understand, chalk it up to a bad match and handle their client relationship.
    Agree with that, but I can tell you now that as a former Recruiter I'd be absolutely furious if a candidate I placed sent an email to HR slating the Hiring Manager and then bottled it by leaving the office. It's a small world, and although I see the funny side, everyones reputation suffers.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    In these times, with lots of supplier payment terms being amended to benefit the client, I doubt the PO would have been raised yet let alone payment made for placing you..... !
  • Options

In these times, with lots of supplier payment terms being revised, I doubt the PO would have been raised let alone payment made for placing you..... !

Haha yeah that's what I was thinking to be honest. Although where I worked didn't raise POs in most circumstances. Bizarre I know.
  • Options
    My last job. The manager was unbelievable proof of the Peter principle but I'll save most of that for a prat bosses thread.
    I had, a year previously, applied for job at well known university in South Kensington. My manger one morning tried to strike up a conversation with me, which was hard work because I used to make a point of ignoring him, told me there was a vacancy at this university. That was a bit strange I thought to myself but then he got to the bit he was itching to tell me. He not only had a friend, (I don't actually think he has friends they are just people he's met), at this establishment,his friend actually worked in that faculty and would be on the interview board. I didn't get an interview even though I had all qualifications, skills and relevant experience. It was in fact virtually like for like to the job I was employed in.
    Shortly afterwards my head of department asked me to make an appointment with him for "a little chat". At this get together his opening line was, "I've heard a whisper that you're applying for jobs ". A bit of an awkward moment but I don't think he expected the truth from me quite as easy as it come out of my mouth.

Anyway couple of years later another position comes up only this time it's job in another department within the faculty in which I work. I sought out the managers within that department and told them I wanted the job and also the people who worked in that section. I was shortlisted, one of three.
    Meanwhile back in current job things were going from bad to worse, the turnover of staff was staggering and there was a need to recruit another person into the team. As luck would have it the day of my interview was also the day my prat of a manager had to interview for the position . My interview went well, even the death by PowerPoint bit which was surprising. They phoned me later that afternoon to offer me the job, no surprise really after all the sucking up I had been doing.
    Monday morning the day I hand my notice in, something I had looked forward to for the past 5 years. First I asked the manager how did it go with his interviews last week? He then proceeded to tell me how good two of the candidates were and they don't know for sure who to take on, blah,blah,blah, he loves all this nonsense. I then told him I can help him out with that problem " because I'm off".
    His face was was a picture. He then made an utter knob of himself phoning my new head of department and ranting at him, "how dare they poach one of his men", amongst other nonsense.
    Unsurprisingly things were a bit frosty so I told him I had no intention of working the 3 months notice, you can have one month, we come an agreement of six weeks. That didn't go down well so I told him I was taking some holiday time, two weeks. When I got back he got very petty, I asked him for some work and would you believe it, there wasn't any, "we" had done it all, nothing for you to do, amuse yourself, sit there,read the internet but no work. I stuck it for a week then didn't bother going in anymore.
    I started my new job but the two new guys turned the job offers down, I really enjoyed that bit.
  • Options

My last job. The manager was unbelievable proof of the Peter principle but I'll save most of that for a prat bosses thread.
    I had, a year previously, applied for job at well known university in South Kensington. My manger one morning tried to strike up a conversation with me, which was hard work because I used to make a point of ignoring him, told me there was a vacancy at this university. That was a bit strange I thought to myself but then he got to the bit he was itching to tell me. He not only had a friend, (I don't actually think he has friends they are just people he's met), at this establishment,his friend actually worked in that faculty and would be on the interview board. I didn't get an interview even though I had all qualifications, skills and relevant experience. It was in fact virtually like for like to the job I was employed in.
    Shortly afterwards my head of department asked me to make an appointment with him for "a little chat". At this get together his opening line was, "I've heard a whisper that you're applying for jobs ". A bit of an awkward moment but I don't think he expected the truth from me quite as easy as it come out of my mouth.

Anyway couple of years later another position comes up only this time it's job in another department within the faculty in which I work. I sought out the managers within that department and told them I wanted the job and also the people who worked in that section. I was shortlisted, one of three.
    Meanwhile back in current job things were going from bad to worse, the turnover of staff was staggering and there was a need to recruit another person into the team. As luck would have it the day of my interview was also the day my prat of a manager had to interview for the position . My interview went well, even the death by PowerPoint bit which was surprising. They phoned me later that afternoon to offer me the job, no surprise really after all the sucking up I had been doing.
    Monday morning the day I hand my notice in, something I had looked forward to for the past 5 years. First I asked the manager how did it go with his interviews last week? He then proceeded to tell me how good two of the candidates were and they don't know for sure who to take on, blah,blah,blah, he loves all this nonsense. I then told him I can help him out with that problem " because I'm off".
    His face was was a picture. He then made an utter knob of himself phoning my new head of department and ranting at him, "how dare they poach one of his men", amongst other nonsense.
    Unsurprisingly things were a bit frosty so I told him I had no intention of working the 3 months notice, you can have one month, we come an agreement of six weeks. That didn't go down well so I told him I was taking some holiday time, two weeks. When I got back he got very petty, I asked him for some work and would you believe it, there wasn't any, "we" had done it all, nothing for you to do, amuse yourself, sit there,read the internet but no work. I stuck it for a week then didn't bother going in anymore.
    I started my new job but the two new guys turned the job offers down, I really enjoyed that bit.

Blimey, he punished you by doing your work whilst you were on holiday.. he sounds like an interesting chap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Blimey, he punished you by doing your work whilst you were on holiday.. he sounds like an interesting chap.
    There's always work, stacks of it. But that's how he is. Interesting is not how most would describe him. A prat is a better description.
  • Options
    I'll never forget my first job naturally was in small Pharmacy, was the only one who stacked the shelves (everyone else there worked the two tills) and would work 6pm - 8pm every weekday evening dealing with the Delivery and having to try and get it on the shelves.

Being a young 18-year old at the time I was the only man (other than the Pharmacist) and everyone else there was well in their forties, dont know why but for some reason I was undermined at every opportunity and was given no help by the day time staff... Eventually started going into work and there would be a note waiting for me, complaining about my performance from the night before, finding something that I didnt do correctly yet was beyond my control (i.e. Why didnt the drinks go out on the shelves, erm because they didnt show up until the next day!!)

I knew my time was numbered when I got moaned at for writing on the wrong paper, evidence of what I'd done was left, but the idiots didnt bother to check to see if it was my handwriting (Is extremely tiny and isnt easy to copy) and the sarky note I left that evening clearly pointed out the fact that it was impossible for the mistake to have been mine as the handwriting was completely different... I then proceeded to complain to the Manager who simply gave me the response: Well you've made so many errors in the past can you blame them for thinking it was you?

In the end it got to the point where there was a disciplinary meeting called one Saturday yet I didnt show up for it (I've always regretted that as reckon I could have shocked a few people, i.e. When I should have been stocking the shelves, the Manager had me wasting my time getting him his dinner from across the road!!)... Now I've always had the approach that I'll never walk out of one job before ensuring I've got another, and un be known to them I was also working elsewhere so one day walked in handed in my notice and walked out, god knows why they were shocked that it happened seeing they wanted me gone in the first place!!

Was once told by them that I'd never get anywhere in life either and that I'd always be working in retail... When I left I only went back in there once after work, which was a few years ago when I was a Manager of an Office Admin team so was suited and booted!!

Of course got treated as a long lost friend by those who still worked there!!
  • Options

lolwray said:

Large (as above) knows that i run a recruitment business and i have had some fantastic stories of "enforced resignations" over the years ....

Once upon a time we had a long contract for what was ,to all intents and purposes " a printer/ machine minder"..all this person had to do was work an overnight shift ,tear off a few automatically produced reports and walk them over to the right desks,person was allowed to bring in a book to while away the hours ,it really wasnt a problem if they nodded off for a bit.This was the pre internet and mobile phone era but about the time CCTV was being introduced .Well after about 9 months of performing above task with no complaints client phoned to explain that the young man we had put into the job was filling in those solitary down time moments with a little help from Mr Palm and his five finger friends , in fact a lot of help,almost record proportions.

He didnt question his need to resign

Was it the fact he didn't have any thumbs that made the job a bit tricky?
    i forgot to mention he came from norfolk

• Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I sent her an email, to her and the representative in HR, explaining that I was leaving because of the fact I have been given no direction etc (to be fair it really was awful but don't want to bore with the details in this post). I sent it on delay so that it would send 20 minutes after i left the building. I packed up my stuff and very quietly walked out of the door.

I've never managed to get one of those email timer delay things to work. I'd have defo bcc'd myself to make sure it arrived.

So as an addition to the story, I actually did cc myself to make sure it arrived. It did not.... I then had to send it off my personal email on my heavily delayed train from London Bridge (thanks Southeastern!)
    Haha that's hilarious as I swear blind that delay sending thing just doesn't work and I was hoping you were going to prove me wrong!
    You have to leave the computer on and stay logged in, or at least that's how mine works.
  • Options
    I'll be resigning soon - I can't wait...
  • Options

Huskaris said:

I’d finished my CSEs at school (for what they were worth) and Dad asked me my plans. I had my job lined up starting in August and planned that the interim months would be spent popping into school, playing a bit of cricket and general relaxation.

This seemed to turn Dad (who hitherto had a perfect record of being a wonderful, perfect human being), into a raging bull. He delicately pointed out that if he was sweating his arse off to put food on the table, the least he expected of me was to get an effing job. Dad also shocked me when he called me a name (lazy *) that questioned his own fatherhood.

Two days later I found myself working in Woolworths, manhandling about a ton of the gardening product ‘dried blood’. from the back of a lorry up to the stockroom. This was hardly what I’d planned, as the dust from the product choked the hell out of me and removed all moisture from my mouth for the following three days..

On day two I was told in no uncertain terms by a young couple in the stockroom to get lost for twenty minutes. I was a very naive 16 year old and wondered why they didn’t require my help. Very strange.

Midday day three. The smarmy manager handed me a bucket, a brillo pad and a pair of pink rubber gloves. I was shocked to learn that he expected me to remove the black deposit that gathers at the base of the counters. He seemed equally shocked when I told him that I had no intention of doing it. There followed a frank exchange of views. It ended in me requesting that he made my cards be made up. I recall wondering if that was the correct terminology as the words left my mouth. Either way I was on a roll now and demanded that he should do it forthwith as I dramatically headed for the door.

Phew, the blast of cold air on my face as I left the cauldron of the shop was pure heaven.

I cut a forlorn character on the bus home though as I considered the less than spectacular start to my working life. Maybe God had made a mistake, placing me in a lifestyle that wasn’t really my bag? And then there was Dad, what was I going to tell him?

What happened with your dad as a result of all this?!?!!
    It was meant as a rhetorical question @Huskaris :smile: It was all OK though he thought I’d done the right thing and in any case I picked up another job in a couple of days. Ir was 1970 and casual work was always available - if you wasn’t too fussy.
    That's the worst sequel I have ever read...
    That's why I left it out of the original post I knew it was an anticlimax. I should've stuck to the showbiz maxim, 'Always leave 'em wanting more'. Sorry I failed you there AA.