Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mother Teresa. Saint or Sinner.

edited September 2016 in Not Sports Related
It's Happened. The Catholic Church have made Mother Teresa a saint. I guess as long as Catholics get another day off in Italy it can't be such a bad thing. Well i know many of CL patrons go to confession. Fanny F and Arsentatters have their own Box. Where do the rest of you stand on MT ?
The late great Atheist Christopher Hitchens called her "a lying thieving Albania Dwarf". Not one for sitting on the fence was Peter.
Sinner maybe if taking money from Dictators: Haiti's Jean Claude Duvalier springs to mind.
allegations of misuse of funds ,Poor sanitation ( she failed her plumbing Exam) in Institutions she founded.
she was the global brand for the Catholic church, a PR Delight and as famous as the Pope even thou she turned down going on the Oprah Winfrey show.
She was against contraception and Abortion ! the former would stop the latter but she never worked that one out.

A saint if living and working with the poor folk and getting photo opportunity with Princess Diana, back in the day.
Preached peace and Love ( so do i and i'm an atheist)
She have been the by word for goodness for the last 60 years or so.

Well CL, We are a Broad Church (Metaphorically speaking) where do you stand on the little nun ?

Now known as the Saint of Calcutta, AKA Agnes Gonxha.

Comments

• Options
    I think you mean Christopher Hitchens. Peter is sadly still alive
  • Options
    Couldn't give a shit either way. That's where I stand.
  • Options

God I hate this international break

So do i.
    That's why this thread is called Not sports related.
    For people who can think outside the six yard box.

• Options
    Did Alan Partridge start this thread?
  • Options

Couldn't give a shit either way. That's where I stand.

I'll put you down as a don't know.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I think you mean Christopher Hitchens. Peter is sadly still alive

Corrected.

They were like chalk and cheese on there views.
  • Options

Did Alan Partridge start this thread?

Thanks Red Robin,
    I hoped someone could read between the lines.
    I put in down to the inbreeding in Norwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This comment on Reddit sums it up for me.

A shady character, who believed suffering was noble and enlightening and brought you closer to God - so long as you were its champion and others were the sufferers. She immediately elected for advanced treatment the moment she fell ill.

However.

"While the actions of the Catholic Church can be questioned surrounding Mother Teresa, I wonder if any of her critics would be willing to do the work she had done during that time period in India where lepers and untouchables were dying in the gutters after society had cast them out."

So, yeah, I'm not totally sure where I stand tbh, and I can't speak as to the validity of ALL of those criticisms in the post above.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Just as every cop is a criminal
    And all the sinners saints
    As heads is tails
    Just call me Lucifer
    Cause I'm in need of some restraint
  • Options
    You should be on the stage Henry Irving.
  • Options
    Stones.
  • Options
    Such is religion I suppose, don't know enough about it to really comment myself. What I do find interesting is the thought that in 5-600 years let's say people may well be looking back at what she did in the same light as religious people now look back at Jesus etc.
  • Options

God I hate this international break

So do i.
    That's why this thread is called Not sports related.
    For people who can think outside the six yard box.

Let the handbags begin.
  • Options
    I would recommend the skeptoid podcast episode for a balanced view. She probably helped some people but not as much as was made of by some in the church or media (although probably more than some would have you believe).
  • Options
    Penn & Teller did a brilliant 'Bullshit' episode about her. Not a nice person.
  • Options
    She was a money grabbing, lying shit bag. So it's no wonder shes held in such high esteem by religious freaks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, would ya?

• Options
    I may have oversimplified this but …

Is it not the Devil’s Advocate who provides an argument against canonisation whilst God’s advocate pleads the case for?

I’ve no idea who has access to this information, or the deciding factors, but maybe Prague could look into it? :wink:
  • Options

She was a money grabbing, lying shit bag. So it's no wonder shes held in such high esteem by religious freaks.

Wow. Tell me more about why you described her like that. I'm interested. I knew she helped the poor and we always heard of her name growing up. But something reminds me that maybe not all is what it seems. Very interested to know why you called her that.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Curb_It said:

Wow. Tell me more about why you described her like that. I'm interested. I knew she helped the poor and we always heard of her name growing up. But something reminds me that maybe not all is what it seems. Very interested to know why you called her that.
    She used to bully him and steal his lunch money when they e were at school together
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

As Leroy says, watch the Penn & Teller bullshit episode on her, or any interview with Christoper Hitchens.

The woman had ties with several dictators, took money that wasn't used how it was intended, spoke about the poor and sick like it was a good thing it was happening. She was a crook.

https://youtu.be/V4nCaxHN-cY
  • Options
    If she was money grabbing it doesn't seem to have been for personal wealth unless she had a secret Swiss bank account or something we don't know about.
    Anyway it appears the rules are that she had to be responsible for a miracle or two to qualify as a Saint.
    Every day when I manage to get my socks on without putting my back out I perform a miracle, yet I ain't no saint.
    What does Shay Given say anyway?