Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mother Teresa. Saint or Sinner.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Macronate said:

At least give her a chance.

What is it with people on here, writing her off before she's even pulled the shirt on?

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen her play at least 10 games.

But what about the CL height test? A mega fail surely.

Edited to add: Tax The Churches!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I find everything about her and her beautifully attired pontificating mates utterly and irredeemably depressing.
    Fortunately there are some other truly decent and kind people who walk this planet that help restore a bit of faith in humanity.
  • Options
    yeah, the role of devil's advocate has apparently been scrapped along with any waiting time after a person's death so the pope pretty much had free rein now

MT's miracle was pretty cool though, a portrait of her shooting lasers from it's eyes to cure a woman of cancer even though she never had cancer
  • Options
    The mention of her depositing funds into the Vatican Bank also brings up some of the rather nasty things they've been involved in: http://uk.businessinsider.com/gods-bankers-financial-scandals-at-the-vatican-2015-2

As for Teresa herself, this thread has opened my eyes up quite a bit... but I don't feel as surprised as I think I should.
  • Options
    I bet Sepp Blatter's a catholic.

Whatever happened to him, by the way?
  • Options
    Absolutely insane people still believe all that bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Absolutely insane people still believe all that bollocks
    Exactly mate. It's beyond me that anyone in this day and age can believe this tripe (or any religion for that matter)

I know a lot of people find comfort in their beliefs but so much of it has been scientifically proved to be wrong and the bits that haven't are no more than fairy tales.
  • Options
    irrespective of miracles, the arrogant scepticism of Hutchings and the overblown claims of the Catholic church, Teresa did enormous good for the starving poor of Calcutta when the caste system, the Indian government and the bullshitting hindu intelligentsia did sweet fuck all for them ..
  • Options
    Mother Teresa is now a Saint,
    We atheists say she ain't.
    Is she the Little chuckle Brother in drag,
    I read that in the Daily Rag.
    she felt it was good to suffer like Jesus,
    Was that just to tease us.
    Why should mankind have to suffer Pain.
    To soapbox Sam, that is insane.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

She was a money grabbing, lying shit bag. So it's no wonder shes held in such high esteem by religious freaks.

Wow. Tell me more about why you described her like that. I'm interested. I knew she helped the poor and we always heard of her name growing up. But something reminds me that maybe not all is what it seems. Very interested to know why you called her that.
    As Leroy says, watch the Penn & Teller bullshit episode on her, or any interview with Christoper Hitchens.

The woman had ties with several dictators, took money that wasn't used how it was intended, spoke about the poor and sick like it was a good thing it was happening. She was a crook.

https://youtu.be/V4nCaxHN-cY
    Wow! I never knew any of this, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Ill have to give it a watch when I get a few mins. I remember hearing some shady stories.

• Options
    Hitchens was a God, so sinner.
  • Options
    Stig said:

rina said:

yeah, the role of devil's advocate has apparently been scrapped along with any waiting time after a person's death so the pope pretty much had free rein now

MT's miracle was pretty cool though, a portrait of her shooting lasers from it's eyes to cure a woman of cancer even though she never had cancer

Made me think of that old joke about the faith healer, the woman with crippled legs and the bloke with the speech impediment.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This thread actually came as lightning from a clear blue sky for me. I knew Mother Teresa helped the poor and starving in India and was generally regarded as a decent person. When you believe someone is one thing, it's a bit of a jump to go 180º in the other direction. I also tend to be a bit anti where the Catholic church is concerned, after my mother in law tried to push my daughters through various bizarre church rituals after my wife and I had clearly told her not to, so I don't want to jump in and start thrashing away at Mother T without good reason.
    I will say that the things I read on here (and bits posted from YouTube) don't actually deny she worked with lepers, poor people and those that the Indian Caste system graded as untouchables, so that remains good I suppose. She never asked me for money, but I generally thought her fund raising was to help those people, not to build a series of nunneries across the globe, so no sympathy there, even though as a nun, she may have thought this was all part of the 'bigger picture'. And the money she did allow to go to her hospital seems to have been pretty meagre judging by the pictures here, but again, I don't want to lambast her after one documentary.
    All in all though, the only reason I can see for making her a saint is that the whole sainthood thing is so riven with claptrap and mumbo jumbo, and a lot of the 'saints' were evil people who killed brutally (there is one called Cyrill who should have been executed, not canonised) that the church could keep the population in darkness, ignorance and folly.
    No saint then for me, just another person putting money where the donor probably didn't want it to go (apart from the Duvaliers in Haití maybe).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

irrespective of miracles, the arrogant scepticism of Hutchings and the overblown claims of the Catholic church, Teresa did enormous good for the starving poor of Calcutta when the caste system, the Indian government and the bullshitting hindu intelligentsia did sweet fuck all for them ..

If we are having a go a St Teresa, the India government and Hindu intelligentsia, there is another massive group that have massively let down the poor and needy of India; Emigrant Indians. Millions came over to Great Britain, benefited, shared in and created the wealth of this great country, yet not enough has flowed back to help the poor of India.
    Lets hope that the spirit of St Teresa can redress this imbalance.

haha this has to be the most unsubtle wind up I've seen.
  • Options
    I'm sure Harold Shipman must have saved some lives, being a doctor and all, but I don't think he got to use that as part of his defence in court.

Many, many people died because of Theresa of Calcutta. That the Catholic church is built on a bedrock of fantastical creatures and children's stories means there's no value in being 'sainted' by them, so fortunately I can't get too wound up by this. However, it is a damning indictment of the public figures sucked in by the myth.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    When i started this thread, i was hoping it would be informative.
    After a slow start and the usual CL witty banter. The contribution of Valley Gary, Stig, Jimmy 85, plus others, the bigger picture of a woman who in her naivety was used by the Catholic Capitalist machine as their poster girl to Coerced money from People who thought the Quid pro quo was a get out of Hell free card have been revealed. You don't need to be a detective to realise that only about 5% at most went to the poor people on the streets. i mean, is the Pope a Catholic.

When we were kids we believed in Father Christmas, the Tooth Fairy and what the Nice People who were called Prime Minister, told us.

As Adults it is our duty to look between the Lines and discover the truth.
    I accept we won't all come to the same conclusion.
  • Options

If we are having a go a St Teresa, the India government and Hindu intelligentsia, there is another massive group that have massively let down the poor and needy of India; Emigrant Indians. Millions came over to Great Britain, benefited, shared in and created the wealth of this great country, yet not enough has flowed back to help the poor of India.

Yet you allow abuse aimed at millions of Catholics and the comparison of one of most compassionate women of the last century to mass murderer Harold Shipman to pass without comment.

She's a fucking criminal. Fuck her.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Yet you allow abuse aimed at millions of Catholics and the comparison of one of most compassionate women of the last century to mass murderer Harold Shipman to pass without comment.

I'd say the abuse is aimed at the catholic church, an evil institution of many centuries standing, rather than catholics per se. I reckon the church can stand it.
    We'll have to disagree re your assertion she was one of the most compassionate women of the last century, as there's plenty in the foregoing to suggest she was a duplicitous fraud.

I dont think we'll persuade one another from our firmly held opinions though.
  • Options

She set up a system where people would lie around dying in pain instead of getting treatment that might cure them. Are you able to explain that?