Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meet the manager?

13»

Comments

• Options

The meet the manager event was posted on the official site last week. Too short notice I would say, but none the less it was there.

Normally I post these sort of things on CL, but with the continuing OTT negativity by far too many posters, about every single little thing, I didn’t bother, which is a great shame.

Anyway, on to the evening, which was very enjoyable. I’m not sure how many were there, but somewhere between 100-150 I’d say.

Slade did most of the talking and Nugent a little. It was only those two, introduced by Keith Peacock.

The first half hour was taken up with Slade presenting a slideshow, showing everything that goes on re the squad & Academy squad. Stats for all the opposition and all our players. Stats on literally everything. Brilliant, but perhaps too many stats.
    Anyway, a thoroughly professional set up. Steve Head is doing the opposition scouting and there was no mention of this changing. He’s assisted by about 8 part timers I think.

I asked about Tex, Ba & Kashi and as said above, Kashi has a long term achilles injury, which hopefully won’t need an operation, but can take so long to heal. One of ours had gone out to see him in Paris the day before, where he is recuperating.

Tex is apparently still struggling with an injury carry over from last season and although has now started training, he is way way behind. I get the distinct impression that Slade was saying in the most subtle way possible, he won’t be figuring much.
    Personally, I think he may figure in say November so he’s match fit to move on in January & Konsa would need a rest by then in any case.

I asked whether Ba had been ill or injured and Slade said a bit of both. He said he’s got to want to play for the club, so I believe it’s unlikely we will see him again.

Slade loves Pearce, so I’d say he will be 1st choice CH & either Konsa or Bauer would be alongside.

Slade’s content with the midfield, did want to bring in another wide player and Louis Thompson.

Although he agreed Foley passes backwards too much & Crofts perhaps a touch, he still feels Ajose has had more than enough chances and it’s more a case of Ajose not being at his best, than lack of supply.

I feel Ajose, Magennis and Novak will be rotated and I can see Novak starting soon.

Slade did have a Championship club after him as well as us, but he chose us. He didn’t name the other club, but I’d guess it was Rotherham or another club oop north.

As said above, Slade said he started from lower than zero and we’re “getting there”.

The players had no start date to return after the summer break and weren’t given any proper regime to follow in the summer, with no proper medical staff for those that required it, such as Diarra, Lennon, Tex, Ba. Although the first two were mentioned first, which is another reason why I think the second two aren’t in Slade’s plans.

Slade would like our fans to give the opposition a hard time and would like them “snarling” at the oppo as they come out of the tunnel.

We’re basically aiming for 2 points per game on average & this is looked at on a monthly basis. So we got 8 from 5 games in August, which Slade put down to us being under prepared for the 1st game & lost as a consequence.

The aim is for a top 6 finish minimum and preferably top 2.

He said if we don’t achieve promotion this season, then we should be in a position, to be much more certain next season.

He feels the top 3 if not us could be Bolton, Scunthorpe and Sheff U. The likes of Bolton & Scunthorpe have an advantage over us, because the squads have been together, for much longer than ours and we are still gelling.

Anyway, on the strength of last night I’d rate Slade 10/10. Thoroughly professional, honest, caring, a sense of humour etc. He seems a perfect fit for Charlton & I hope he brings us success.

Thanks for posting that.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

As for the snarling when the opposition come out of the tunnel... How about TCE stands to the side with his dogs?

They are currantly in training for the "Meet the Board" dayimage
    Were your trousers always that brown colour of have they changed colour over time with that dog charging you? ;)
  • Options

Not mentioned by Covered End, but one of Russell's most telling answers...

When asked if he really had any say on transfers, he said "If I don't want them, we don't sign them..."

That is interesting and encouraging. It doesn't mean it will stay like that, of course, but I suppose if he is not going to play them then there is no point in signing them.

Also if Slade has a three year deal, that would have to be paid up if he was sacked, that might give him more confidence to refuse to play players he doesn't rate - in much the same way that I believe Chris Powell did. Having two and a bit years of your contract up takes away RD's ability to 'bully' his manager - something that isn't the case for one year deals or interim appointments.
  • Options

'The aim is for a top 6 finish minimum and preferably top 2.

He said if we don’t achieve promotion this season, then we should be in a position, to be much more certain next season.'

anything less than promotion is failure. Thanks for the write up though.

Large, I completely agree with you but it becomes more of a failure if there is no contingency plan for if we don't go up in the first year. I would compare that to Pardew when he brought in about 75 loans in the last four months of the season and blew the next season's budget, after relegation from the Premier League.

It cannot, ever, be acceptable that we have a two year plan to get out of this division but an all or nothing gamble can be worse in the long term.
  • Options
    Thanks @Covered End @cantersaddick @chilham , great insight appreciated
  • Options
    Sounds like Slade can talk the talk, let's just all hope he can walk the walk.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

The meet the manager event was posted on the official site last week. Too short notice I would say, but none the less it was there.

Normally I post these sort of things on CL, but with the continuing OTT negativity by far too many posters, about every single little thing, I didn’t bother, which is a great shame.

Anyway, on to the evening, which was very enjoyable. I’m not sure how many were there, but somewhere between 100-150 I’d say.

Slade did most of the talking and Nugent a little. It was only those two, introduced by Keith Peacock.

The first half hour was taken up with Slade presenting a slideshow, showing everything that goes on re the squad & Academy squad. Stats for all the opposition and all our players. Stats on literally everything. Brilliant, but perhaps too many stats.
    Anyway, a thoroughly professional set up. Steve Head is doing the opposition scouting and there was no mention of this changing. He’s assisted by about 8 part timers I think.

I asked about Tex, Ba & Kashi and as said above, Kashi has a long term achilles injury, which hopefully won’t need an operation, but can take so long to heal. One of ours had gone out to see him in Paris the day before, where he is recuperating.

Tex is apparently still struggling with an injury carry over from last season and although has now started training, he is way way behind. I get the distinct impression that Slade was saying in the most subtle way possible, he won’t be figuring much.
    Personally, I think he may figure in say November so he’s match fit to move on in January & Konsa would need a rest by then in any case.

I asked whether Ba had been ill or injured and Slade said a bit of both. He said he’s got to want to play for the club, so I believe it’s unlikely we will see him again.

Slade loves Pearce, so I’d say he will be 1st choice CH & either Konsa or Bauer would be alongside.

Slade’s content with the midfield, did want to bring in another wide player and Louis Thompson.

Although he agreed Foley passes backwards too much & Crofts perhaps a touch, he still feels Ajose has had more than enough chances and it’s more a case of Ajose not being at his best, than lack of supply.

I feel Ajose, Magennis and Novak will be rotated and I can see Novak starting soon.

Slade did have a Championship club after him as well as us, but he chose us. He didn’t name the other club, but I’d guess it was Rotherham or another club oop north.

As said above, Slade said he started from lower than zero and we’re “getting there”.

The players had no start date to return after the summer break and weren’t given any proper regime to follow in the summer, with no proper medical staff for those that required it, such as Diarra, Lennon, Tex, Ba. Although the first two were mentioned first, which is another reason why I think the second two aren’t in Slade’s plans.

Slade would like our fans to give the opposition a hard time and would like them “snarling” at the oppo as they come out of the tunnel.

We’re basically aiming for 2 points per game on average & this is looked at on a monthly basis. So we got 8 from 5 games in August, which Slade put down to us being under prepared for the 1st game & lost as a consequence.

He said if we don’t achieve promotion this season, then we should be in a position, to be much more certain next season.

He feels the top 3 if not us could be Bolton, Scunthorpe and Sheff U. The likes of Bolton & Scunthorpe have an advantage over us, because the squads have been together, for much longer than ours and we are still gelling.

Anyway, on the strength of last night I’d rate Slade 10/10. Thoroughly professional, honest, caring, a sense of humour etc. He seems a perfect fit for Charlton & I hope he brings us success.

My sentiments entirely Covered End .Thanks for posting that.
    I rather liked when RS ,rightly evaded the RJ comment, and wondered if that, was one of the large fines issued.
  • Options

Not mentioned by Covered End, but one of Russell's most telling answers...

When asked if he really had any say on transfers, he said "If I don't want them, we don't sign them..."

That is interesting and encouraging. It doesn't mean it will stay like that, of course, but I suppose if he is not going to play them then there is no point in signing them.

Also if Slade has a three year deal, that would have to be paid up if he was sacked, that might give him more confidence to refuse to play players he doesn't rate - in much the same way that I believe Chris Powell did. Having two and a bit years of your contract up takes away RD's ability to 'bully' his manager - something that isn't the case for one year deals or interim appointments.
    RD may be completely weird, but he's not totally stupid. Even he must look at what happened at Charlton, the relegation, the players like Ba and Sarr costing us/him a fortune in wages, the failures like Polish Pete and Bergdych and realise that relying on a spotty geek to do his recruitment wasn't a success.

• Options
    I think Slade has come across well every time I've watched him speak.

Thanks @Covered End, @cantersaddick and @chilham for the reports.

I'm pleased the club is starting to do this sort of thing. I would have liked to be there but don't qualify at the moment.

I hope the midfield is augmented and we do genuinely push on into top 6 or ideally top 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I really, really hope that the there, to which we aspire, is not zero.... :smiley:
  • Options
    I like Slade but I cannot help but feel he bullsh*its his way through a lot of questions. Just watched the video from last night on Facebook and when asked about Tex's injury it felt very "on the spot quick make something up"
  • Options

I like Slade but I cannot help but feel he bullsh*its his way through a lot of questions. Just watched the video from last night on Facebook and when asked about Tex's injury it felt very "on the spot quick make something up"

Agreed up to a point. I asked about all 3 & he answered the easiest first ie Kashi.

It gave him more time to think re Tex & Ba.

However, he answered in the same way I would expect any professional football manager to answer.

There's a big difference in my book between telling down right lies & being economical with the truth because of a sensitive football situation. I should imagine Chris Powell would have answered in the same manner, as would have I in that position.
  • Options
    Texeira is playing for the U23s on Monday.
  • Options
    Was Steve Head mentioned the is he isn't he Chief Scout?
  • Options

RedChaser said:

cafc999 said:

I would have gone but didn't know it was happening!

I didn't know about it either.

Maybe the club only targeted selected people
    Thought was open to all season ticket holders
    email sent, with link to apoly.
    Apply
    Use the edit facility, that's what it is there for :wink: .
    Thank you for the reprimand. I will use in future.
    No problem always happy to oblige, I was just using the same approach that you do most of the time :wink: .
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Was Steve Head mentioned the is he isn't he Chief Scout?

Yes.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

cafc999 said:

Apply
    No problem always happy to oblige, I was just using the same approach that you do most of the time :wink: .
    What moaning about the moaners?.
  • Options
    did any one ask about tex and barr
  • Options
    dallas said:

Yeah Tex doesnt like Slade's Dinosaur approach to Football and Ba is a little lost sheep right now!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

cafc999 said:

Apply
    What moaning about the moaners?.
    Sort of and being a bit Joe Joanne blunt.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Dave2l said:

He said if we don’t achieve promotion this season, then we should be in a position, to be much more certain next season.'

Sort the defence out. Looks wobbly and poor.

Doesn't really though does it?

Name a team in league one with a better defensive selection than us, with Solly, Foley, Konsa, Pearce, Bauer, Lennon, Teixeira, Johnson, Fox, Chicksen all in our ranks. Of the goals we have conceded so far they have either been from set pieces (IMO a training and tactical thing more than individual players) or mistakes from midfield.

If you said the midfield looks poor, then I'd agree, but our defence is the least of our concerns
    Don't mean the individual players lack of quality.
    The whole team, defending from the front, to the back, I think looks a bit edgy and unconvincing.

The manager and coaching staff need to rectify it.
  • Options
    dallas said:

Slade prefers Florida for his holidays and doesn't like Irn Bru
  • Options

Slade confirmed that we turned down a £6M bid for Lookman, made between 4pm & 5pm on deadline day & a £1.75M bid from Sheff W for Fox on deadline day.

He couldn't say whether we would have accepted bids, if say they were made 2 weeks earlier, but said, if bids had been made 2 weeks earlier, we would no doubt have received much lower offers, so he just can't say. He confirmed THD and his agent wanted away, as did a number of players who came to him early doors, saying they wanted a move.

He was in the room when the bids were made & both Lookman & Fox are good lads and were happy to stay.

Really glad to read that. Easy for players to want away, and then get their way by any means necessary. Even on the final day of the window, especially with big money.

A lot of fans would've seen them moving away as understandable, particularly given the ownership situation, so for them to not throw a strop reflects very well on the two of them.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

sam3110 said:

Dave2l said:

Sort the defence out. Looks wobbly and poor.

Doesn't really though does it?

Name a team in league one with a better defensive selection than us, with Solly, Foley, Konsa, Pearce, Bauer, Lennon, Teixeira, Johnson, Fox, Chicksen all in our ranks. Of the goals we have conceded so far they have either been from set pieces (IMO a training and tactical thing more than individual players) or mistakes from midfield.

If you said the midfield looks poor, then I'd agree, but our defence is the least of our concerns
    Don't mean the individual players lack of quality.
    The whole team, defending from the front, to the back, I think looks a bit edgy and unconvincing.

The manager and coaching staff need to rectify it.
    I think the edginess comes from Konsa playing. I know he's doing very well, but due to his inexperience, I'm always waiting for a mistake and possibly so are his fellow defenders. But you don't gain experience without playing.
  • Options
    dallas said:

Yeah I think it was in Urban Cowboy?
  • Options
    Get promoted this season you say?

Patience is all we need

If not this season then next season we'll be in a much better position

Patience

Can you see how patient we are? Positively patient

Fuck off
  • Options

He can't. He's never been promoted. Ever.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

He can't. He's never been promoted. Ever.
    There's a first time, for everything .