Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options

Worth keeping an eye on the Amazon deals at the moment. In the last 2 weeks I've picked up 70 cl bottles of Aberlour 12 yo and Strathisla 12 yo for £25 or under (including delivery). I'd be interested to know if there is a way of picking up these single malts more cheaply. I'm particularly enjoying the Aberlour.

Cheapest Aberlour 12 year old on mysupermarket is £29 at Waitrose
  • Options
    Mate came round and put my bottle of 15 year old Dalmore single malt (a cracking drink) in the fridge, as we didn't have any ice at the time.

He did it without asking and it's changed the flavour now and I'm pretty upset, £60 isn't a small amount and there was quite a bit left in there. Argh.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
  • Options
    Got a bottle of Nikkia From The Barrel to try at Christmas... Heard good things. 51.4% though, certainly gonna put hairs on your chest... Anyone tried it?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    What’s a good bourbon alternative to Makers Mark? Bulliet bourbon?
  • Options

What’s a good bourbon alternative to Makers Mark? Bulliet bourbon?

Aye or Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare.
  • Options
    Woodford reserve is nice
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Woodford reserve is nice

Oooh yes, knew I was forgetting a good one.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

An ex mate of mine came round and put my bottle of 15 year old Dalmore single malt (a cracking drink) in the fridge, as we didn't have any ice at the time.

He did it without asking and it's changed the flavour now and I'm pretty upset, £60 isn't a small amount and there was quite a bit left in there. Argh.

I have corrected the above for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I was in Aldi at Thamesmead today and they have Glen Marnoch 30 year old single malt whisky at £39.99. I believe it is Speyside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Mate came round and put my bottle of 15 year old Dalmore single malt (a cracking drink) in the fridge, as we didn't have any ice at the time.

Take it out of the fridge.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

I'll second that - bunch of philistines!!

Dalmore is the king for me - in most varieties.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

PaddyP17 said:

Their cigar malt is good. Remember trying a 62 year old one once... Worth a pretty penny and made me regret swilling it before I knew the age and cost!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-46566703

Third of rare Scotch whiskies tested found to be fake.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

bobmunro said:

PaddyP17 said:

Their cigar malt is good. Remember trying a 62 year old one once... Worth a pretty penny and made me regret swilling it before I knew the age and cost!
    Yes, it is very good.
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-46566703

Third of rare Scotch whiskies tested found to be fake.

This is worrying. I have a few bottles which I've squirrelled away over the years. I don't think they're fakes but this sort of news might affect the values of whisky sold at auction in the future.

One thing that might help curb the fakers would be to target people actively buying empty bottles and tubes.
  • Options
    Father in law will be happy when he comes round at crimbo. Missus bought him a bottle of Johnnie walker blue.
  • Options
    I'm been getting in to rye whiskeys recently - especially Rittenhouse.
  • Options
    Just opened a bottle of Jameson Crested, as Sade sang, smooth operator.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    We went to visit friends on Saturday. After lunch we visited their local whisky emporium, from where we purchased a bottle of Laphroaig Select.

Simply the smoothest whisky I have ever tasted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We went to visit friends on Saturday. After lunch we visited their local whisky emporium, from where we purchased a bottle of Laphroaig Select.

Simply the smoothest whisky I have ever tasted.

I love Laphroaig. If you like the select try the quarter cask!

• Options
    Cracked open a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel yesterday, really nice!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

was it expensive? (if you don't mind me asking)
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

It's about £35 for a 50cl bottle. One of the biggest bangs for the buck whisky you can buy in my opinion.
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikka-5-NI-007-51-Barrel-50-cl/dp/B001TZASVQ
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikka-5-NI-007-51-Barrel-50-cl/dp/B001TZASVQ
    A little bit cheaper here https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2928/nikka-from-the-barrel#productReviews

Just read the reviews - it's an outstanding whisky.
  • Options
    Its way too smooth for something that is nearly 52% alcohol... Dangerous
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Its way too smooth for something that is nearly 52% alcohol... Dangerous
    Agree, bought myself some for Christmas. Beautiful, smooth, tofeeish, coma inducing stuff. I’m restricting myself to a bottle a year.