Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    If you're looking for something a little different, the Glenfiddich Fire and Cane from their experimental range is a decent, and quite unique, dram
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I had a little tussle with a bottle of Arberlour last night on a call with some mates. 

I think the Arberlour won.

Woke up this morning and all I could taste was sherry!
  • Options
    My advice when you don't know what they like (and Jack Daniels doesn't taste a lot like a malt whisky, so nothing to worry about there) is Highland Park. Usually one or two in Tesco. Preferably I'd get one with an age on it like the 10, but you can't go wrong. Laphroaig quarter cask is amazing for the price but not everyone likes it
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    My advice when you don't know what they like (and Jack Daniels doesn't taste a lot like a malt whisky, so nothing to worry about there) is Highland Park. Usually one or two in Tesco. Preferably I'd get one with an age on it like the 10, but you can't go wrong. Laphroaig quarter cask is amazing for the price but not everyone likes it
    I've got a Highland Park 12yo and I'm not convinced by it to be honest. The smoky aftertaste doesn't hit quite right - tastes a bit synthetic. 

I like Laphroig, but if you're not used to whisky then drinking a peat monster like that to start with could put you off for life.
  • Options
    Agree, I wouldn't ever recommend Laphroaig as a starter! But the guy lies whisky already so might be worth a shot. Another good one is Longmorn, which is slightly harder to come by but is a Speyside held in high esteem, and because it isn't peated everyone who likes whisky likes it
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    If Laphroaig is a bit much maybe Talisker 10 yr old?
  • Options
    Funny how pallets are different I'd have laphroaig down as a tad milder 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

I would agree. I don't like the peat monsters, very much a Speyside man, but can drink Laphroaig - Talisker is akin to a very unpleasant mouthwash to me.
  • Options
    Balvennie 12 year old is my latest fav.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sainsbury where knocking out the Pogues single malt at £16 a bottle so I thought it would be rude not to.  It's not particularly complex but its is very smooth and flowery.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I noticed that Shackleton blended malt whiskey was £20 in Asda today (reduced from £30). 

I didn't buy it, but read up on the back story which is quite interesting (half decent sales pitch).

It is based on the Mackinlay's rare old highland malt that Shackleton took to bolster team spirit on his Antarctic expedition in 1907.  Shackleton personally ordered 25 cases ... he knew a thing or two about team spirit.

In 2007, a century after the expedition, three cases of the perfectly preserved whisky were discovered, frozen into the ice beneath Shackleton’s base camp at Cape Royds.

The whisky was excavated and flown to New Zealand where it was carefully thawed by the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust in a purpose-built environment and public gallery at Canterbury Museum.

.... I bet you'd have to pay more than 20 quid for a bottle of that!

Great timing.
    I'm no whisky expert, don't even drink the stuff, but was after some advice. 
    I want to buy a bottle for a colleague who has helped me out this week. All I know is that he doesn't like Jack Daniel's as I remember one Xmas he turned it down in a pub. He likes his whisky though. 
    I wanted to leave it on his doorstep at the weekend so don't have time to order online, ideally something I can pick up in a supermarket or off licence. Any suggestions welcome and ta in advance.
    @orpingtonRED if you're still looking, go to the supermarket, find a bottle of 10 or 12 year old highland single malt.  If it's on offer, all the better.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

I would agree. I don't like the peat monsters, very much a Speyside man, but can drink Laphroaig - Talisker is akin to a very unpleasant mouthwash to me.
    Isn't it?  Laphroaig tastes really chemical to me.  Talisker is smooth as anything.  But then I used to drink Tennants super in my youth so I've probably destroyed my palet.

Out of interest which are your (reasonably affordable) Speyside preferences?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

This for me 100%
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

Isn't it?  Laphroaig tastes really chemical to me.  Talisker is smooth as anything.  But then I used to drink Tennants super in my youth so I've probably destroyed my palet.

I know aimed at @bob@bobmunro but glenlivet or tamdhu for me 
  • Options
    This has got me in the mood now ..my whisky cabinet (I call it scotch corner) has been under a dust sheet for 3 weeks and has just been revealed in time for some degustation this evening 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

Reasonably affordable under £50)

Aberlour 12 (£40), Tomintoul Tlath (£25), Tamnavulin Double Cask (£33), Cardhu Gold Reserve (£35), Tamdu 12 (£45), Glenfarclas 15 (£50’ish).

I would add Dalmore 12 (£45) although a highland rather than a Speyside - and ultimately my favourite distillery, especially some of the not so reasonably affordable!

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

Aberlour 12 (£40), Tomintoul Tlath (£25), Tamnavulin Double Cask (£33), Cardhu Gold Reserve (£35), Tamdu 12 (£45), Glenfarclas 15 (£50’ish).

Lol. It's probably just me - or maybe it's because it's you - but that reads like the result of a horse race with odds and returns, with "Double cask" being like some sort of double carpet!

I'll have a tenner on Genfarc Lass at 15/1 please.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I will have this thread open when I go shopping tomorrow and hopefully pick him up a nice treat.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

I would add Dalmore 12 (£45) although a highland rather than a Speyside - and ultimately my favourite distillery, especially some of the not so reasonably affordable!

Remember tasting a 62 year old Dalmore once. It was very nice, and also the most expensive thing I've ever put in my mouth!

Even the glenfarclas 10 is usually good value. Cragganmore is the United distillers classic Speyside and is decent enough, and usually obtainable in large supermarkets
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

I know aimed at @bob@bobmunro but glenlivet or tamdhu for me 

Ah yes. Of course. Haven't had Glenlivet for years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    lolwray said:

Thanks BM. Birthday coming up so might give one of those a try...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    If u want nicely peated with sweet finish u cant go wrong with lagavulin 16.. really popular now so much so u can get it in most supermarkets.. couldn't go back to laphroig after this 
  • Options
    I very much enjoy a good peaty one during the winter months and tend to slide back more mellow whisky spring time.

• Options
    I would also recommend trying a Glenmorangie.
  • Options
    I used to really like Glenmorangie, but since it's been bought by LVMH they seem to overload on the Bourbon casks.  I rarely drink Bourbon, but I can drink Jim Beam a lot cheaper and find I prefer it to modern Glenmorangie.  I suppose they made it more international and for the US market.

Very low on whisky after this lockdown.  Probably going to try Glengoyne after people have recomended it.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    I used to really like Glenmorangie, but since it's been bought by LVMH they seem to overload on the Bourbon casks.  I rarely drink Bourbon, but I can drink Jim Beam a lot cheaper and find I prefer it to modern Glenmorangie.  I suppose they made it more international and for the US market.

Very low on whisky after this lockdown.  Probably going to try Glengoyne after people have recomended it.
    Glengoyne 10 and 12 year old reasonably priced on Amazon at the moment @ColinTat
  • Options
    I haven't tried it, bur Conor McGregor is selling his share in Proper 12.

• Options
    I note that Grant's have employed a sniffer dog.

Rocco's task is to sniff out any imperfections in the wood used to make the casks at the Girvan Grain and Ailsa Bay single malt whisky distilleries.  Should Rocco have any issues with the wood he reports back to Mr Wooff.  (you couldn't make it up, Chris Wooff is the associate global brand director).

Let's just hope Rocco doesn't leave his calling card as he seeks out more work.

• Options
    Mrs Plum has returned from Scotland and kindly brought home a bottle of 12 year old Glendronach.
    Never seen or heard of it before.
    Any comments?