Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whisky

Comments

• Only available in Ireland to start with, strict instructions in with family to obtain a few bottles.
    @guinnessaddick how was this? I love their gin.
    It was very nice, I paid €80 a bottle for it, the same place now have it for €125. They have also brought out a single pot version, haven’t tried that yet, I’ll put it on my birthday list.
  • I'm not a massive bourbon drinker, but Tesco had Woodford Reserve reduced from £32 to £20... It would be criminal to miss out on that. Makes a very fine Old Fashioned indeed. Probably my second favourite bourbon to Bullet
  • edited December 2020
    Brought a mate / colleague of mine “101 whiskies to try before you die” as a part of his leaving present - Lists Aldi’s Glen Marnoch (terrible name!) Speyside - tried a bottle - really nice and can’t argue for £16:45 -  easily as nice or better than many brands 2 / 3 times as expensive.

The Islay is also v good and my mate says the Highland is also worh a go.

Must have some good buyers !
  • IAgree said:
    Brought a mate / colleague of mine “101 whiskies to try before you die” as a part of his leaving present - Lists Aldi’s Glen Marnoch (terrible name!) Speyside - tried a bottle - really nice and can’t argue for £16:45 -  easily as nice or better than many brands 2 / 3 times as expensive.

The Islay is also v good and my mate says the Highland is also worh a go.

Must have some good buyers !
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/aldi-whisky-world-best-ranking-glen-marnoch-speyside-single-malt-scotch-glenlivet-a7896116.html
  • Gonna have to do a booze cruise to Aldi by the sounds of it
  • Aldi have some really really good red wines so I'd trust a whisky recommendation from there 

I've finally got a little bottle of Nikka from the Barrel arrive. Smells unspectacular but I've heard nothing but good things, I'll try and save it for Christmas but can't promise anything 
  • I had a bottle of that. It's good.
  • edited December 2020

Late birthday / Christmas present arrived this morning.

Still got a bottle of the inaugural release unopened, the website I got it from, is now selling it at 3 times the price I paid for it. (€250 a bottle)

• Gotta love the Balvenie. A very nice drop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Christmas haul was an ardbeg ten which is great, a bottle of eagle rare (I know) which is lovely and a bottle of glen Scotia double barrel which is really nice, can see why opinion is split on it, but I like it so far. 

Annoyed I forgot about drumshanbo @guinnessaddick will have to buy myself one once the current stock is low. 
  • I'm gauging up a 10 year old Jura which I like 

The dockyard whisky which whilst being single malt is a bit too burny although very tasty 

Nikka from the Barrel. I need help with this, I want to like it, I love the smell of it but again it is a lot more fiery than I was expecting 

For context I'm a fan of Glenmorangie as a pub grub, I detest Jaimesons and Glennfiddich for the sake purpose 

Dalmore 12 year old I adore, and Arbelour 12 year old is very decent too in my eyes. I'm happy to spend a few quid on a decent single malt but need a bit of guidance 
  • If you like the 12-year old Aberlour, you‘ll love their A’bunadh!
  • Carter said:
    I'm gauging up a 10 year old Jura which I like 

The dockyard whisky which whilst being single malt is a bit too burny although very tasty 

Nikka from the Barrel. I need help with this, I want to like it, I love the smell of it but again it is a lot more fiery than I was expecting 

For context I'm a fan of Glenmorangie as a pub grub, I detest Jaimesons and Glennfiddich for the sake purpose 

Dalmore 12 year old I adore, and Arbelour 12 year old is very decent too in my eyes. I'm happy to spend a few quid on a decent single malt but need a bit of guidance 
    Put a drop of water in the Nikka, always works in case strength whiskies
  • Got a couple of sets of ice rocks, anyone used them?
    I have a set somewhere, used them in white horse but not in decent whiskies.
  • My 2 current favourites are: Aberlour (12 year) and The Balvenie (Doublewood, 12 year). Are there any similar whiskies Lifers would recommend?
    I have a set somewhere, used them in white horse but not in decent whiskies.
    Ditto
  • Windy said:
    My 2 current favourites are: Aberlour (12 year) and The Balvenie (Doublewood, 12 year). Are there any similar whiskies Lifers would recommend?
    Good choices.   Try something from Glengoyne. 10 year old entry level or 12 year old can both be had for around £30 on Amazon. Slightly livelier than the excellent Balvennie and a little more refined than the also excellent Aberlour.  Not quite so good but excellent value and a nice slurp is Tamnavulin (on Amazon atm for £20 so get in there quick).  Glenlivet also worth a snout.  More expensive and not quite so easy to get hold of is Springbank.  Very pleasant way to spend an evening. 

• Will be having a dram later to toast the new year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Windy said:
    My 2 current favourites are: Aberlour (12 year) and The Balvenie (Doublewood, 12 year). Are there any similar whiskies Lifers would recommend?
    Good choices.   Try something from Glengoyne. 10 year old entry level or 12 year old can both be had for around £30 on Amazon. Slightly livelier than the excellent Balvennie and a little more refined than the also excellent Aberlour.  Not quite so good but excellent value and a nice slurp is Tamnavulin (on Amazon atm for £20 so get in there quick).  Glenlivet also worth a snout.  More expensive and not quite so easy to get hold of is Springbank.  Very pleasant way to spend an evening. 
    Thank you, much appreciated.

I do try other whiskies, particularly when whoever produces Aberlour gets greedy and wants to charge stupid money. However, I do keep coming back to Aberlour/ The Balvenie.

HNY @Sillybilly
  • You too mate!
  • cheers @Windy.  HNY2U2
  • Partial to a bit of connemara every now and again 
  • Red Breast 12 is one of my go to whiskeys - one of the best bang for your buck that can be had.
  • I noticed that Shackleton blended malt whiskey was £20 in Asda today (reduced from £30). 

I didn't buy it, but read up on the back story which is quite interesting (half decent sales pitch).

It is based on the Mackinlay's rare old highland malt that Shackleton took to bolster team spirit on his Antarctic expedition in 1907.  Shackleton personally ordered 25 cases ... he knew a thing or two about team spirit.

In 2007, a century after the expedition, three cases of the perfectly preserved whisky were discovered, frozen into the ice beneath Shackleton’s base camp at Cape Royds.

The whisky was excavated and flown to New Zealand where it was carefully thawed by the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust in a purpose-built environment and public gallery at Canterbury Museum.

.... I bet you'd have to pay more than 20 quid for a bottle of that!

• I noticed that Shackleton blended malt whiskey was £20 in Asda today (reduced from £30). 

I didn't buy it, but read up on the back story which is quite interesting (half decent sales pitch).

It is based on the Mackinlay's rare old highland malt that Shackleton took to bolster team spirit on his Antarctic expedition in 1907.  Shackleton personally ordered 25 cases ... he knew a thing or two about team spirit.

In 2007, a century after the expedition, three cases of the perfectly preserved whisky were discovered, frozen into the ice beneath Shackleton’s base camp at Cape Royds.

The whisky was excavated and flown to New Zealand where it was carefully thawed by the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust in a purpose-built environment and public gallery at Canterbury Museum.

.... I bet you'd have to pay more than 20 quid for a bottle of that!

Great timing.
    I'm no whisky expert, don't even drink the stuff, but was after some advice. 
    I want to buy a bottle for a colleague who has helped me out this week. All I know is that he doesn't like Jack Daniel's as I remember one Xmas he turned it down in a pub. He likes his whisky though. 
    I wanted to leave it on his doorstep at the weekend so don't have time to order online, ideally something I can pick up in a supermarket or off licence. Any suggestions welcome and ta in advance.