Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    Thanks.
    Got a lot to get through.
    When one becomes a bitter and twisted old git, drink is the only gift one seems to get.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Thanks.
    Got a lot to get through.
    When one becomes a bitter and twisted old git, drink is the only gift one seems to get.

Happy New Year Seth, enjoy it!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Yes that's decent, Seth. Probably the best selling bourbon in the US - way above Jack.

I've always got a bottle in the collection (not the small batch though which should be v good).
    Not according to this, although I understand the data can be a bit "patchy" at best!

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/best-selling-american-whiskey-brands-2021/

• Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    Yes that's decent, Seth. Probably the best selling bourbon in the US - way above Jack.

I've always got a bottle in the collection (not the small batch though which should be v good).
    Not according to this, although I understand the data can be a bit "patchy" at best!

That bartender in Vegas was telling porkies then!

Those figures are global sales though, I think.
  • Options
    This was part of my whisky intake over Christmas, along with some Laphroaig 10, Tullabardine 12, Aberlour, and Old Pultenay 10.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:

I have a bottle of Woodford Reserve, it's a nice whiskey.
  • Options
    Finally got some of the drumshanbo whiskey, which is nice, very smooth but not as stand out as the gin is. 

@seth plum you can’t go too far wrong with four roses, as bob says, the original is good enough. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Not Whisky, but just got given this American version.
    Any good?

Small batch is better than the standard Four Roses, which is a bit meh. 

They distil 10 different Whiskeys (2 different mashbills and 5 different yeast strains) then blend them all together.

The Small batch you have is a blend of 4 of the recipes, usually more mature casks and therefore have more character to them.

The small batch recipe is 4 whiskeys that they call; Rye and Baking Spice, Rich Fruit, Baking Spice and Rich Fruit & Vanilla

So that gives you an idea of the notes they're trying to get you to smell and taste in it.

They also make a Single Barrel, which is their main recipe, and a Small Batch Select, which they bottle a different blend of recipes to the normal Small Batch, at a higher proof.

15-20 years ago Four Roses was a dirty name in Whiskey, as it wasn't sold in America and was made for the European and Japanese markets, but they reopened Stateside and rebooted themselves, and are now a lot more reputable than before
  • Options
    Oldest stepson bought me a beanie for Christmas and secretly put away half of my 10 yr old Jura the little c***
  • Options
    Great info, thank you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oldest stepson bought me a beanie for Christmas and secretly put away half of my 10 yr old Jura the little c***
    He"s done you a favour there!

Nah, actually the Jura is alright. Just found it not as distinctive as others going for the same sort of taste.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Off_it said:

Nah, actually the Jura is alright. Just found it not as distinctive as others going for the same sort of taste.
    I know - it isn't a connoisseurs whisky but probably about my level.  I'd probably go for Glenmorangie or Talisker next time.  A £200 bottle, or even a £50 one would probably be wasted on me sadly...little sod got a bottle of whisky from his bio dad, drank it in the 3 days before he came to us then found mine and helped himself.  I'm not tight but was fuming when I went to have a couple and there was f*** all left!  I still am, can you tell?  He also drank my craft ale and left the fridge full of his bloody mass produced cider.  I'm keeping it all up in my room next year and will buy a big box of that French 2 per cent stuff for him.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I know - it isn't a connoisseurs whisky but probably about my level.  I'd probably go for Glenmorangie or Talisker next time.  A £200 bottle, or even a £50 one would probably be wasted on me sadly...little sod got a bottle of whisky from his bio dad, drank it in the 3 days before he came to us then found mine and helped himself.  I'm not tight but was fuming when I went to have a couple and there was f*** all left!  I still am, can you tell?  He also drank my craft ale and left the fridge full of his bloody mass produced cider.  I'm keeping it all up in my room next year and will buy a big box of that French 2 per cent stuff for him.
    Smashing my way through a glenmorangie tonight, got a few decent bottles tucked away but fancied a good drink tonight and those decent bottles would be wasted.

Must say its not what I've had previously normally an okay whisky but this the taste is more like vodka and orange.
  • Options
    Parents got me a bottle of Whyte and Mackay, I got the. A bottle of Oban. Sigh. Oh well, don't mind a blend every now and then
  • Options
    Salad said:
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    I've recently been gifted the Aberlour 12 year old from work, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Probably a decent introduction as it happens @cafc_harry

Talking of Glenfiddich, I like them because they are independent and not part of the Diageo group. Their Solero Reserve is very good, though I'm not too fussed about the standard 10 year old
    Abelour is a perfect beginner's whisky - not smoky at all and quite sweet. That goes for most of the Speysides - Glen Grant is another example of a entry level.
    For an introduction to Islays' smoke and peat then Bowmore is not too peaty - avoid things like Laphroaig or Tallisker, they could put you off whisky for life!! 
    Dalmore is also a good next level introduction although a little pricey - they don't get much better to be honest and easily my favourite distillery. Fantastic with Christmas cake (or Dundee cake as Raith says), or a fine cigar. Some of their more expensive ones, King Alexander, Castle Loed are two examples, the former is spectacular.  

I am not a whiskey drinker, the only three I have tried that I can tolerate are Laphroaig, Talisker and Old Poultney. Talisker 57 is the best I have tasted.
    Does anyone know if the Scots get upset at Scotch being called whiskey instead of whisky?
    No, it's just a spelling mistake.
  • Options
    IMHO, the best road to drive in Britain is the A9 from Perth to Aviemore. If you then turn off for Elgin on the A95 that follows the mighty Spey, you will find out why Morayshire is the malt whisky capital of the world. 
  • Options
    Sorry to correct you, and no booze connection, but surely the best drive in Britain is Fort William to Mallaig?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Sorry to correct you, and no booze connection, but surely the best drive in Britain is Fort William to Mallaig?
    That's pretty good too, as is the NC500, but home is where the heart is.
  • Options
    Anybody fancy signing up for this?
    This is an extract from an e-mail I’ve just received:

If you haven’t already entered the ballot to purchase our Highland Park 50 Year Old 2021 Releasethere’s still time. Just 139 bottles of this rare and iconic whisky, each hand-signed by Master Whisky Maker, Gordon Motion, have been released. As we only have a very limited number available from our online shop, at a total UK price of £22,000 plus shipping and insurance charges, we would like to invite you to enter our ballot for the opportunity to buy one. The ballot is still open but closes soon!
  • Options
    Highland Park is the most Northerly Distillery in the UK, located on Orkney
  • Options
    Anybody fancy signing up for this?
    This is an extract from an e-mail I’ve just received:

If you haven’t already entered the ballot to purchase our Highland Park 50 Year Old 2021 Releasethere’s still time. Just 139 bottles of this rare and iconic whisky, each hand-signed by Master Whisky Maker, Gordon Motion, have been released. As we only have a very limited number available from our online shop, at a total UK price of £22,000 plus shipping and insurance charges, we would like to invite you to enter our ballot for the opportunity to buy one. The ballot is still open but closes soon!
    I received the same email....thought this bit was interesting...
    "Just 139 bottles of this rare and iconic whisky, each hand-signed by Gordon, have been created exclusively for China."
    Must be some market out in China.
  • Options
    There’s me thinking that £22.000 for a bottle of whisky is expensive, when I came across this in today’s paper:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-60303906

I like a wee dram of Macallan but, WOW!

Still, I’m pretty sure that, like the Highland Park, this will sell out pretty quickly!
  • Options
    took a trip to the Cotswolds Distillery today, I must admit I've been pretty sceptical of Whisky from England, but having tried a couple whilst here, I'll admit they make a pretty good dram, and they have quite a bit of variety in their portfolio, from a classic single malt aged in ex bourbon and finished in red wine casks, to a peated cask finished, cask strength whisky, a sherry cask finish, and this Madeira wine cask finish, quite a hefty price tag but well worth it based on the sample I tried
  • Options

My brother picked up a bottle of the latest release from the Shed distillery, it’s a 7 year old. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Off_it said:

Just back from a trip to Speyside with these boys in my luggage!
    Love to know your thoughts on that Aberlour V A'bundah @Off_it
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Just back from a trip to Speyside with these boys in my luggage!
    Love to know your thoughts on that Aberlour V A'bundah @Off_it
    It's like A'bundah on steroids mate.

Had a tasting session at the distillery and also had the 17yo single cask. We had tours/tastings at Gelnfarclas, Balvennie, Glenallachie and Aberlour, but only had time to pop into the shop at Glendronach, where the lovely lady behind the counter/bar let me have a free dram from a £400-500 bottle - much to the annoyance of my mate (who is a real whisky buff) who they wouldn't let have any  as he was driving. I had to do my best to describe it to him!