Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    bobmunro said:
    I’ve been really in to American whiskeys/bourbons recently. I’ve tried the usuals, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Gentleman Jack, Eagle Rare and my current favourite Wild Turkey 101. Anyone have any recommendations? 
    My favourite go to bourbon is Woodford Reserve.

I'm a lover of rye whisky as well - Bulleit Rye and many of the Sazerac family - although their plain rye is pretty good without having to spend a fortune. I love Rittenhouse ryes as well.

I sound like a right old soak!!
    The standard bullet bourbon makes a great old fashioned and is also usually a very good price on Amazon ... Agree in Woodford reserve too

Always my cocktail of choice (not that I drink many cocktails!).
  • Options
    Been drinking Macallan, A Night on Earth... really nice
  • Options
    I saw that recently.. wondered what a younger lagavulin would be like at that strength. Expensive but was tempted. A beast surely?
  • Options
    The lagavulin 16 yo is probably my favourite whisky of all time
  • Options
    If I am feeling bored I sometimes amuse myself by making up fictional whisky names eg
    Glenscrote
    12 year old crusty Sporran 
    The randy grouse
    The Gillies Gonads 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Yes, @McBobbin, it's certainly not to be taken lightly at that strength - its definitely a bit of a beast. 
    I don't really go in for all the myths and legends marketing bullshit, but using a phoenix on the label is pretty apt.

I would recommend it. It's pricey for me, but I was treating myself and am not disappointed. 
  • Options
    My first physical visit to a supermarket in a couple of years yesterday (new leg, new car!). It wasn’t a pleasure. Desperately hard going, slippy floors (designed to make trolleys run smoothly but not great if you’re learning to walk on crutches!) and I’d forgotten about the great unwashed!!  I decided that retail therapy was the answer and limped off towards the spirits shelf. I discovered this stuff which I had not heard of and was interested to see is distilled and nurtured in Ayrshire (as was I!). The “land” bottle was at a heavily discounted £22 in Asda (it’s apparently the other way round at Sainsbury’s where the “sea” bottle is £20. In a hefty whisky mode at the moment and with an eye for a bargain I accidentally lost my balance, grasped at the shelf and inadvertently knocked a bottle into the trolley when my carer (aka she who must be obeyed) was having a lapse in concentration. For £20 it’s fine. I wouldn’t pay the normal £30 ish for it as at that price point there is a lot of very decent competition. It was hefty but the peat and smoke kind of tasted as though they had been added at some point in the process rather than being a result of natural distillation. That’s probably my imagination and apologies are duly proffered to Messrs Grant if that’s the case. No doubt if I’m passing Sainsbury’s in the next few days…….

• Options
    Sainsburys, Bexleyheath, this morning.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very partial to a Laphroaig 
  • Options
    And that's damned cheap 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Very partial to a Laphroaig 
    To me it tastes like drain cleaner. I’ve been working my way through a bottle of it for months. I won’t give up on it though, it might get better nearer the bottom. 
    On a brighter note Sainsbury’s have on offer,  a rather nice Jura finished in   a red wine barrel, I’ll probably finish it before the Laphroaig. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    And that's damned cheap 
    That’s not a ten year old. It’s a “select” which is young and less developed that the “normal Laphroaig. It’s still very nice though and worth a punt at £25
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Had a little trip to the Whisky Shop yesterday.

Very disappointed with the Bowmore - glad I didnt get a full bottle.

The Kilchoman was nice, had quite a bit going on for a young whisky.

The Glen Scotia was really really good. Loads of depth and a nice peppery kick. I will definitely be getting a bottle of that.

But the Laphroaig 16yo is just beautiful. I like the 10yo, but this is so much smoother and more refined. Just fantastic. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Had a little trip to the Whisky Shop yesterday.

Very disappointed with the Bowmore - glad I didnt get a full bottle.

The Kilchoman was nice, had quite a bit going on for a young whisky.

The Glen Scotia was really really good. Loads of depth and a nice peppery kick. I will definitely be getting a bottle of that.

But the Laphroaig 16yo is just beautiful. I like the 10yo, but this is so much smoother and more refined. Just fantastic. 
    How’s the headache? 🤣🤣

the laphroaig is lovely stuff. 
  • Options
    not tried the 16 Laphroaig, shall look for that... the 15 from a few years back was exceptional. Used to have a cask strength that blew my head off
  • Options
    Getting through a bottle of Tullamore Dew at the moment 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I was given this yesterday.
    American Rye I believe.
    Tried it, quite Christmas spicy that hits on the outer part at the back of the tongue. Anybody know much about this?

Incidentally I used to love Islay whisky but now gone right off them.
    Give me a top quality Speyside single malt these days.

• Options
    It literally says Crafted In Canada on the front haha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spent the afternoon at East London Liquor Company yesterday, they along with a few other distilleries like Cotswold and Copper Rivet down in Chatham, are trying to get an official document together to have English Whisky as a certified category of spirits with its own defined rules and regulations. They had a peated single cask whisky with was a very good spot, it was really interesting to hear a distiller speak so much and so openly about the grain and the fermentation process they go through, as they feel very strongly that actually a good whisky doesn't have to spend so long in a barrel if the liquid that goes in first is so flavorful and rich. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It literally says Crafted In Canada on the front haha
    Yeah. Just noticed that.
    Canadian Rye.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Spent the afternoon at East London Liquor Company yesterday, they along with a few other distilleries like Cotswold and Copper Rivet down in Chatham, are trying to get an official document together to have English Whisky as a certified category of spirits with its own defined rules and regulations. They had a peated single cask whisky with was a very good spot, it was really interesting to hear a distiller speak so much and so openly about the grain and the fermentation process they go through, as they feel very strongly that actually a good whisky doesn't have to spend so long in a barrel if the liquid that goes in first is so flavorful and rich. 
    so many elements contribute to the flavour of whisky that it must be really difficult to blend barrels to make a uniform flavour. Everything from the water, the grain, the malting process, the kilning, type of barrel, size of barrel, previous contents of barrel, where the barrel in stored and for how long... It would be interesting to hear what the rules for English whisky would be, and if/how it is to be differentiated from Scottish whisky. I've not really tried any English whisky yet, but would love to. The Welsh one Penderyn has taken a while to find its feet but it pretty decent now.
  • Options
    Old school today. One of the first I bought many years ago and still one of my favourites. I quite like the new label design. I’m slowly and reluctantly moving away from the heavily peated stuff. I love a dram of Aberlour and their Abunadh is an incredible drink. 
  • Options
    * think your puffer fish is upside down  :)

• Options
    My first physical visit to a supermarket in a couple of years yesterday (new leg, new car!). It wasn’t a pleasure. Desperately hard going, slippy floors (designed to make trolleys run smoothly but not great if you’re learning to walk on crutches!) and I’d forgotten about the great unwashed!!  I decided that retail therapy was the answer and limped off towards the spirits shelf. I discovered this stuff which I had not heard of and was interested to see is distilled and nurtured in Ayrshire (as was I!). The “land” bottle was at a heavily discounted £22 in Asda (it’s apparently the other way round at Sainsbury’s where the “sea” bottle is £20. In a hefty whisky mode at the moment and with an eye for a bargain I accidentally lost my balance, grasped at the shelf and inadvertently knocked a bottle into the trolley when my carer (aka she who must be obeyed) was having a lapse in concentration. For £20 it’s fine. I wouldn’t pay the normal £30 ish for it as at that price point there is a lot of very decent competition. It was hefty but the peat and smoke kind of tasted as though they had been added at some point in the process rather than being a result of natural distillation. That’s probably my imagination and apologies are duly proffered to Messrs Grant if that’s the case. No doubt if I’m passing Sainsbury’s in the next few days…….

Sea cask is v nice. 
  • Options
    AAjr is working at Cadenheads in Marylebone. They have some seriously good stuff, whisky / whiskey obviously but also rum. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    AAjr is working at Cadenheads in Marylebone. They have some seriously good stuff, whisky / whiskey obviously but also rum. 
    Wow, nice one. Does he get a staff discount?

If so, can I just say that I've always admired your posts on here. In fact, you could possibly be my favourite ever poster. :-)
  • Options
    Time to give this one a try!

It’s been on my shelf for a good many years and it’s now time!
  • Options
    54.6%

Might need a single drop of water with that. 👍