Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    54.6%

Might need a single drop of water with that. 👍
    Tried it with and with a drop. The water definitely helps the sherry come out and deepens the complex taste.
  • Options
    I’ve been really in to American whiskeys/bourbons recently. I’ve tried the usuals, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Gentleman Jack, Eagle Rare and my current favourite Wild Turkey 101. Anyone have any recommendations? 
    I really like Tin Cup.
  • Options
    Bulleit is my bourbon of choice
  • Options
    Anyone going to the Whisky Show this weekend? 
  • Options
    Bourbon recommendation:
    Yellowstone Select

Recommended by the landlord of Hot Box in Chelmsford after I said I enjoyed Maker's Mark, Bulleit and Woodford Reserve.
    Quite possibly the best of that bunch.
  • Options
    I've been struggling with a cask strength 9yo Caol Ila bottling from Loch Fyne I bought a few months back. Have tried it a few times and then again tonight.  

It's an angry drop. I've tried dousing it down with water, but it's still got the better of me. Again.

Have now switched to a Laphroaig 16yo and it is an absolutely superb drop. Everything you would expect from a Laphroaig, but smooth, warm and inviting. It coaxes you in gently and then doesn't let go.  A very fine drop indeed.

Bottoms up!
  • Options
    May have said it on here before but I've tried lots but always go back to Laphroaig..does it for me 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    In Denmark currently, anyone looking for a new whisky to try that's a bit different, give Stauning a go, wonderful stuff
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rediscovered this at the back of my whisky cupboard!

Definitely needs a drop of water to take the bite out of it!

• Options
    I had a go on that @Stuart_the_Red after Man U away in the cup this year. Despite the fact I'd had a good few beers already, so my taste buds were "numbed", I could certainly taste the strength - good stuff!

(PS. That's a good sized pour too!)
  • Options
    My missus has got me a 2009 vintage bottle of Benromach Speyside for my birthday - on a bit of whim really, but for what looks to be a good price (£59). 
    Has anyone here tried this?
    I do like a drop of single malt whisky now and again, but have never ventured any further than what you might regularly find in the pub or supermarket shelf.
  • Options
    Gonna treat myself to a bottle for Christmas, what’s the best bottle money can buy for ~£200 and under? Can be scotch, bourbon etc. 
  • Options
    I'd check out some stuff on master of malt or whisky exchange. 

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenmorangie-signet-whisky/ This reads like a dream though
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Gonna treat myself to a bottle for Christmas, what’s the best bottle money can buy for ~£200 and under? Can be scotch, bourbon etc. 

Dalmore 15 year old - Christmas cake in a glass.

Around £100 so you could get two!

If your budget can stretch a little (£250'ish) then Dalmore King Alexander III is pure nectar.
  • Options
    My missus has got me a 2009 vintage bottle of Benromach Speyside for my birthday - on a bit of whim really, but for what looks to be a good price (£59). 
    I do like a drop of single malt whisky now and again, but have never ventured any further than what you might regularly find in the pub or supermarket shelf.
    Benromach is really good gear mate. That's a good choice from the Doris. You'll like that - and if you don't I'll have it off you!
    :-)
  • Options
    Merry Christmas All!

• Options
    Never afforded the King Alexander, but the other Dalmore I have had was great.
    I went off the Islay and Skye stuff and now prefer the Speyside because one specific flavour does not dominate.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Benromach is really good gear mate. That's a good choice from the Doris. You'll like that - and if you don't I'll have it off you!
    I want to like and laugh! Cheers mate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks all for the recommendations, think Dalmore 15 is my front runner at the minute. Has anyone had the cigar malt? Wondering if it’s worth the price difference. 
  • Options
    Thanks all for the recommendations, think Dalmore 15 is my front runner at the minute. Has anyone had the cigar malt? Wondering if it’s worth the price difference. 

The Cigar Malt is a different taste - very smooth and one of my favourites, but not as Christmassy. For the £200 budget you can get both!

You may have spotted that I like Dalmore - it is head and shoulders above the next best in my favourite distillery list. I'm lucky to have tried most and even luckier to have most of them in my collection.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    AAjr is working at Cadenheads in Marylebone. They have some seriously good stuff, whisky / whiskey obviously but also rum. 
    Wow, nice one. Does he get a staff discount?

If so, can I just say that I've always admired your posts on here. In fact, you could possibly be my favourite ever poster. :-)
    He does. They’re kind enough to extend it to immediate family but, sadly for the rest of you, that’s as far as it goes. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Off_it said:
    I've been struggling with a cask strength 9yo Caol Ila bottling from Loch Fyne I bought a few months back. Have tried it a few times and then again tonight.  

It's an angry drop. I've tried dousing it down with water, but it's still got the better of me. Again.

Have now switched to a Laphroaig 16yo and it is an absolutely superb drop. Everything you would expect from a Laphroaig, but smooth, warm and inviting. It coaxes you in gently and then doesn't let go.  A very fine drop indeed.

Bottoms up!
    I might be interested in buying what’s left of the Caol Ila off you, @Off_it
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    The whisky or his missus?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Merry Christmas All!

AAjr treated us to a tutored tasting at Cadenhead’s Marylebone shop. One of the six we tried was that particular Enigma. Very nice it was, too. Not sure I like the new style of labels on the Enigmas.

Watching our son in his work mode was interesting. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Merry Christmas All!

AAjr treated us to a tutored tasting at Cadenhead’s Marylebone shop. One of the six we tried was that particular Enigma. Very nice it was, too. Not sure I like the new style of labels on the Enigmas.

Watching our son in his work mode was interesting. 
    He probably served my mate then, who bought me those bottles as a Christmas present when he went in there this week.

(Agree about the label - looks less polished and a bit amateur to me. And also looks like the flag of Finland to boot!)
  • Options
    Finally had my bottle of cigar malt delivered today after it was delayed to miss Christmas. Just had my first pour and it’s pretty spectacular. So smooth and silky in the mouth and a tobacco-y long finish. 
  • Options
    Got a litre of famous grouse from my dad and a litre of Grant's from a work raffle. Reckon they will hang around for a fair wee while
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I'm a fairly new addition to the whiskey world, but I've got a modest collection of bottles in the 50 to 90 quid range which I am cheerfully working through (especially after recent Charlton matches). Any suggestions gratefully revieved - my current favourite is the Dalmore called The Trio which my wife picked up as an airport exclusive. I have my eye on a Chivas Regal 18 year old gold label for new year - anyone tried it?