Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russell Slade at East Kent Addicks

Comments

• Options

what level did Brussell himself play at?

'reserve team level' apparently
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

I vote @Tutt-Tutt for manager.

Don't be silly - if you haven't played at that level, you've got no chance. you would lose the dressing room in five minutes. players would spot a fraud within minutes (Carol). Football dressing rooms are brutal.

Millwall once appointed their Chief Scout Bob Pearson as acting manager, he lost all six games. The football fraternity was in stitches.
    Lennie Lawrence, Jose Mourhino, Arsene Wenger?
    One could spin it and say that most great players dont make good managers, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Bobby Davro to name some Bobby's.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Don't be silly - if you haven't played at that level, you've got no chance. you would lose the dressing room in five minutes. players would spot a fraud within minutes (Carol). Football dressing rooms are brutal.

Millwall once appointed their Chief Scout Bob Pearson as acting manager, he lost all six games. The football fraternity was in stitches.
    That does seem to be correct when given the job from within the Club, but
    both Wenger and Mourino were rubbish footballers. (Jose dad was a pro Keeper)

I want Tutt-Tutt to be Head coach alongside Jackson.
    Fanny Fanackapan to do the team talk in the dressing room as i believe she would enjoy the view from there !
  • Options
    thanks @Addickted look forward to reading more
  • Options
    Addickted said:

1/"However quite a few were against the protests and felt it was nothing but a hindrance to the team performing".

2/ "Russell himself suggested the players would use this as an excuse if they performed badly".

If both of the above statements were genuinely said that is laughable. There have been games were we have won and played well whilst very large protests have taken place. I am boycotting so can only speak from what I read on here but to my knowledge there have been no protests inside the ground this season?

For Russell to suggest the players will use any of the above as an excuse "if they perform badly" is a dreadful thing to say.

He suggested that players would use any excuse they could to justify a poor performance. Most of them were 'fragile'. He felt it was important that he got some strong characters in the squad to act as leaders and mentors (over and above Jacko and Solly) and feels that's just what the likes of Pearce, Crofts and Foley are there for.

I suppose Foley has to be there for something. It certainly isn't his footballing ability!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Arsene Wenger - Strasbourg
    Lennie Lawrence - Sutton United - I'll give you that.
    Mourinho - Lower leagues in Portugal...he lost the Chelsea Dressing room last year.

You forgot Arrigo Sacchi.

One of the managers I worked for -Ray Harford - once told me that he had player power issues in his dressing room, with senior players questioning his knowledge and experience as he was only a fourth division centre half. He got past it by making one of them player/coach and involving him in all the planning & coaches meetings. Once he was given extra responsibility, he melted. But it could easily have gone the other way.

Wenger, Lawrence & Sacchi are obviously good in the dressing room, otherwise they would have sunk early on.

I reckon a number of Chelsea players, top players as well, wondered out loud how would Mourinho know how to play at that level, and the dressing room soon goes.
  • Options
    So, now we know, our top 6 budget has been spent on tarting up the training ground canteen ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Arsene Wenger - Strasbourg
    Lennie Lawrence - Sutton United - I'll give you that.
    Mourinho - Lower leagues in Portugal...he lost the Chelsea Dressing room last year.

You forgot Arrigo Sacchi.

One of the managers I worked for -Ray Harford - once told me that he had player power issues in his dressing room, with senior players questioning his knowledge and experience as he was only a fourth division centre half. He got past it by making one of them player/coach and involving him in all the planning & coaches meetings. Once he was given extra responsibility, he melted. But it could easily have gone the other way.

Wenger, Lawrence & Sacchi are obviously good in the dressing room, otherwise they would have sunk early on.

I reckon a number of Chelsea players, top players as well, wondered out loud how would Mourinho know how to play at that level, and the dressing room soon goes.
    Ray Harford.

An old one of ours c 1965 or so.
  • Options

Re. Protests.

"Russell suggested the players would use this as an excuse if they performed badly"

WTF!

He hasnt experienced a protest so dont see how he can give an authoritative answer.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Re. Protests.

"Russell suggested the players would use this as an excuse if they performed badly"

WTF!

He hasnt experienced a protest so dont see how he can give an authoritative answer.
    Cardiff and Vincent Tan protests.

• Options

Re. Protests.

WTF!

Incredible.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

I understand it was the same with Les Reed, the players had no respect for his authority no matter what he knew of his subject.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

So, now we know, our top 6 budget has been spent on tarting up the training ground canteen ...

If only some bastards hadn't decided to boycott we could have had two tables tarted up by now.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Re. Protests.

WTF!

And what's that got to do with Charlton?
  • Options
    Actually a very informative interview. Sadly the soundbites don't match the display on the pitch, but there could be other reasons for that. My major problem is that Russel has a CV that svreams 'mid table mediocrity' and that is what we've got so far. We can't say we weren't warned.
    Finally, as I don't know any East Kent Addicks, maybe time to give them a break. It turns out some of them are vociferously anti regime? Well great! Maybe the many ar getting tarred with the brush of this Cummerbund character. Hopefully we can all get together against the curse of RD, and the East Kent crew will be with us.
  • Options

Taken from a post on Facebook:

Russell Slade on the protests (not verbatim but not far off): "Of course it affects the players; it's a distraction and it can make life more difficult. And you know what? I also think it's almost like giving the players an excuse. They can say to themselves 'How can we be expected to cope with that?' There's no doubt it has an impact. I would be lying if I didn't say that."

Isn't it the manager's job to stop that kind of nonsensical thinking, not promote it? Or is he also getting his lame excuses in early?

Gone down massively in my eyes now has Slade, not that I saw him that highly before aforementioned.

People have bad commutes to work, you can't use this as an excuse to work poorly or not give 100%. Their day to day training is behind closed doors, no protests have impact on this, their match is played on a field that this season has been untouched by protests, and despite a few songs anti-regime of which I doubt the players even register during play; nothing is a big enough impact to put them off. They are putting themselves off, as they don't want to be at the Club, and nor does Slade - I'll give him till the end of Jan transfer window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Addickted said:

Re. Protests.

WTF!

Beat me to it.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Addickted said:

Re. Protests.

WTF!

Beat me to it.
    And why should I have to interpret everything Russell said?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

One could spin it and say that most great players dont make good managers, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Bobby Davro to name some Bobby's.
    Bobby Ball
  • Options
    Going back I don't think Bertie Mee played professional football,
  • Options
    Poor thing for a manager to say, the evidence is to the contrary and he's essentially approved an excuse for poor performance.

Managerial issues aside, I think this demonstrates his real loyalties and priorities. It's alright saying that he has to remain loyal to his employer, but he's pushing the party line beyond the extent of Riga - a purely network appointment.

The poster who mentions him being at Cardiff with Vincent Tan makes a very interesting observation; is it a coincidence that the British appointment we made has previous experience with overbearing and unpopular owners? Something akin to Blackpool appointing Riga after his first stint here?
  • Options

13 games for Mansfield; may be semi pro then.

now here's the rub ?

Mee worked as a physiotherapist at various clubs before getting to the Arse.
  • Options

Taken from a post on Facebook:

Russell Slade on the protests (not verbatim but not far off): "Of course it affects the players; it's a distraction and it can make life more difficult. And you know what? I also think it's almost like giving the players an excuse. They can say to themselves 'How can we be expected to cope with that?' There's no doubt it has an impact. I would be lying if I didn't say that."

Isn't it the manager's job to stop that kind of nonsensical thinking, not promote it? Or is he also getting his lame excuses in early?

Too right. Its not the players giving themselves an excuse. Slade just gave it to them himself, right there. That is piss poor management. Be a professional, do your job. We are going nowhere with this bloke in charge.
  • Options
    Slade cannot blame those of us that are boycotting either because 5 or 6k is still a lot more than a lot of clubs get in this league so the players should be used to playing in front of small crowds.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Don Howe ran the team as head coach, Mee was a figure-head manager.

Lawrie Mcmenemy is a better example, but we are pulling names out from 50 years of football.

The main point is being able to hold together a dressing room. If it goes wrong, players will answer back with, "who did you play for then?". You need to be able back it up or have some coaches with decent playing records.

Kevin Nugent was a good player. Saw him playing for Leyton Orient U18s v Charlton at Meridian, before he become a professional. Very good CF with good hold up play. Orient had Warren Barton in the same team. Charlton had Leaburn, Pitcher and also Harmsworth in goal.

Was Mowgli mentioned??