Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russell Slade at East Kent Addicks

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

I vote @Tutt-Tutt for manager.

Don't be silly - if you haven't played at that level, you've got no chance. you would lose the dressing room in five minutes. players would spot a fraud within minutes (Carol). Football dressing rooms are brutal.

Millwall once appointed their Chief Scout Bob Pearson as acting manager, he lost all six games. The football fraternity was in stitches.
    Lennie Lawrence, Jose Mourhino, Arsene Wenger?
    Arsene Wenger - Strasbourg
    Lennie Lawrence - Sutton United - I'll give you that.
    Mourinho - Lower leagues in Portugal...he lost the Chelsea Dressing room last year.

You forgot Arrigo Sacchi.

One of the managers I worked for -Ray Harford - once told me that he had player power issues in his dressing room, with senior players questioning his knowledge and experience as he was only a fourth division centre half. He got past it by making one of them player/coach and involving him in all the planning & coaches meetings. Once he was given extra responsibility, he melted. But it could easily have gone the other way.

Wenger, Lawrence & Sacchi are obviously good in the dressing room, otherwise they would have sunk early on.

I reckon a number of Chelsea players, top players as well, wondered out loud how would Mourinho know how to play at that level, and the dressing room soon goes.
    Ray Harford.

An old one of ours c 1965 or so.
    He was good mates with Billy Bonds in the Colts. Ray lived at the Elephant, and travelled to youth team training on the 53 bus. I was at a South East Counties league dinner in the 80s, when he was reminding Peter Croker about going to see him for his bus fare expenses.
  • Options
    I used to play in a Sunday team we had great team spirit........ but we were shit!
  • Options

I used to play in a Sunday team we had great team spirit........ but we were shit!

Yeah, I think we beat you 14-0 on one occasion.
  • Options

Yeah, I think we beat you 14-0 on one occasion.
    Ah, thats because he hadn't rearranged his dining table. They'd have nicked a draw if he had. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    It seems pretty much word for word the same as the Q & A for S/T holders, a couple of weeks ago.

The last minute deal that fell through was for Louis Thompson, the Norwich midfielder who was at Swindon last season.

No doubt Thompson was instrumental in Ajose's success.
  • Options
    I still believe I'm going to win the EuroMillions.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love to know who that midfielder was and what KM did to muck the deal up.
  • Options

It sounds as if Slade is doing every thing right up to the point the game kicks off ?

Except pick a more attacking team & change the formation/subs, when it's not working.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Love to know who that midfielder was and what KM did to muck the deal up.

It was Louis Thompson as I said above & obviously we hung on for 2 months for him & they didn't loan him.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Ah, ok.

Will teach me not to stop reading your posts after the first sentence in future :smile:
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

Were the East Kent Addicks the supporters group invited to the Q&A at the ground recently and whose leader said that protests over the regime were misplaced ?

Yes.

They are the goody-two shoes group of fans that NightMeire wheels out at any time she cannot use T20. I'm glad some of them are now anti-regime, as this has not been the picture painted at other times.
    The Vichy France of Charlton supporters
  • Options
    edited September 2016

It sounds as if Slade is doing every thing right up to the point the game kicks off ?

As @coveredend says, it's the adjustments during the game which have been lacking, which is probably why he is managing at this level. As we are at the third level, we have a manager for this level, albeit with experience at the second level. He has flaws, as do the players at this level, otherwise they would be earning more money at a higher level and he would be still managing in the Championship.
  • Options

Except pick a more attacking team & change the formation/subs, when it's not working.
    The team he picked to start against Wimbledon with Lookman and Holmes showed a bit of intent but he should of gone the whole way and picked Botaka as a winger so Looky and Holmes could have taken it in turn to play behind Josh and run at 1st division CB's.
    As i said up to KO, ok but is getting out thought by his opposite managers
    during the game and really doesn't seem to know whether to stick or twist.

• Options
    He did say it was the timing of the adjustments that was key. He used Fleetwood as a good example and Wimbledon as one where their first goal came just as he was about to make the change and then it was too late.

As I haven't been to a home game this season it's difficult for me to judge.

He said that the ex Charlton player Barry Fuller? (who we were told is an Ashford lad) made the cross of his life for their goal.

He said Oldham was just awful and said he'd work as hard as he could with the players to ensure we don't put in another performance like that for the rest of the season. They were all disappointed.
  • Options
    Did anyone question him about our geriatric centre midfield ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Don't be silly - if you haven't played at that level, you've got no chance. you would lose the dressing room in five minutes. players would spot a fraud within minutes (Carol). Football dressing rooms are brutal.

Millwall once appointed their Chief Scout Bob Pearson as acting manager, he lost all six games. The football fraternity was in stitches.
    Mourinho - Lower leagues in Portugal...he lost the Chelsea Dressing room last year.

One of the managers I worked for -Ray Harford - once told me that he had player power issues in his dressing room, with senior players questioning his knowledge and experience as he was only a fourth division centre half. He got past it by making one of them player/coach and involving him in all the planning & coaches meetings. Once he was given extra responsibility, he melted. But it could easily have gone the other way.

Wenger, Lawrence & Sacchi are obviously good in the dressing room, otherwise they would have sunk early on.

I reckon a number of Chelsea players, top players as well, wondered out loud how would Mourinho know how to play at that level, and the dressing room soon goes.
    Tutt-Tutt said:

LenGlover said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

I doubt it, he had just won the Champions League, beating a proper Man U team on the way!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

He did say it was the timing of the adjustments that was key. He used Fleetwood as a good example and Wimbledon as one where their first goal came just as he was about to make the change and then it was too late.

As I haven't been to a home game this season it's difficult for me to judge.

He said that the ex Charlton player Barry Fuller? (who we were told is an Ashford lad) made the cross of his life for their goal.

He said Oldham was just awful and said he'd work as hard as he could with the players to ensure we don't put in another performance like that for the rest of the season. They were all disappointed.

The timing of adjustments were too late, suggesting indecision or slow recognition. Then again he failed to act at all against Wimbledon. I can't comment on Fleetwood, but that's still one out of three.

@coveredend is right about the midfield selection. The most important point of an opposition report, is to get your team selection right. The midfield balance is obviously important. He got it wrong, and Oldham, with Paul Green the ex-Republic of Ireland international to the fore, played right through us.

Both points illustrate why he is at this level and he is managing a League One team.
  • Options

Did anyone question him about our geriatric centre midfield ?

JJ (great captain) Foley and Crofts play a form of Walking Football which is very popular now with the over 50's. Doesn't seem to work in League 1 where teams are fitter if not more skillful than our last outing in this division.
  • Options
    Did the date bald bstd resign,

No then no Need for minutes really thanks though
  • Options

If/when AFC Charlton is formed then we could do a lot worse.
  • Options
    The regime cannot be at all happy with Slade, they have invested in a no doubt hugely expensive PR campaign to try to cover up the calamities that still befall them on a frequentbasis.

So just when they would hope that this new PR led management - (& thats all that has changed) - would coincide with a strong showing results wise, Slade is serving up mind numbing mediocrity on the pitch.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

If Nugent says Mowgli is ignored, then the press interview claim that he is still involved is lies. Mowgli needs to be told through social media that the manager & coach ignore him and he's talking shite.

Done
  • Options

If/when AFC Charlton is formed then we could do a lot worse.
    Again, you would need a manager who has played and managed at the level AFC Charlton would play in, or perhaps from just above. AFC Wimbledon had Dave Anderson, who dropped down a couple of leagues from Hendon and did an excellent job in the Combined Counties and Ryman leagues, before Terry Brown switched across from Hayes in the Conference.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
  • Options

Yep...the worst team I ever played in, had the best spirit I've ever known.