Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    Apparently Wilder has had a major fallout with one of the board members there.  Strange timing though.  Cowley's were being touted earlier in the week as possible suitors so maybe some mileage in that
  • Options
    Mental that Wilder has left them - he certainly won't be out of work for long, cracking manager
  • Options
    Mental that Wilder has left them - he certainly won't be out of work for long, cracking manager
    I hope not, as I got the urgent phone call this morning to back him at 50/1 for the Celtic job. 
  • Options
    That's crazy, victim of his own success. 
  • Options
    Wilder is the classic case of a man who is a perfect manager in the lower divisions (see Warnock e.g.), yet is just not suited to manage at the highest level, and YES, I know his team had a decent first season back at the top.  This season, so far, they and him have been very very poor. He hasn't had a lot of money to spend that is true but even so, from what little I have seen of the Blades this year, their football is woeful. I suspect that Wilder is a bit of an old fashioned sergeant major type of manager. Nowadays that management style will not work.
  • Options
    For this one I do actually think it's unlikely results, he's probably not happy with spend or wages etc so happy to leave when he will likely fall upwards into a better job like a mid table Prem team I would have thought 
  • Options

• Options
    Paul Heckingbottom until the end of the season. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Paul Heckingbottom until the end of the season. 
    'Bottom' being (unfortunately) the exact right word
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Pretty rare case in that a vast majority of Blades seem to want him to stay, normally the fans turn then the board act!
  • Options
    Wilder is the classic case of a man who is a perfect manager in the lower divisions (see Warnock e.g.), yet is just not suited to manage at the highest level, and YES, I know his team had a decent first season back at the top.  This season, so far, they and him have been very very poor. He hasn't had a lot of money to spend that is true but even so, from what little I have seen of the Blades this year, their football is woeful. I suspect that Wilder is a bit of an old fashioned sergeant major type of manager. Nowadays that management style will not work.
    Doesn't help that with what little you do have you piss £20m up the wall on Brewster ...
  • Options
    They still spent £55m

More than Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Leicester, Newcastle, Southampton, West Brom and West Ham spent. A lot of those clubs had significant transfer income as well.

Their net transfer spend was the same as Man Uniteds and more than Liverpools so it seems silly to say he hasn't had a lot of money to spend

• Options
    It's a problem for a manager when you have an over-achieving season like SUFC did.
    The fans usually want to improve on it the following year - and it doesn't happen.
    It takes years to break into the top 6.

I recall Leicester winning the Prem and the fans thinking they were going to do it every year, so sacked Ranieri.
    Unusually, in the case of SUFC, it seems the fans are onside, but it is the board who have the unrealistic expectation.
  • Options
    It's a problem for a manager when you have an over-achieving season like SUFC did.
    The fans usually want to improve on it the following year - and it doesn't happen.

I recall Leicester winning the Prem and the fans thinking they were going to do it every year, so sacked Ranieri.
    Unusually, in the case of SUFC, it seems the fans are onside, but it is the board who have the unrealistic expectation.
    They sacked Ranieri because they were in serious danger of getting relegated. I don't think there are any Leicester fans who don't see their title win as a one-off miracle. I would imagine most of them are delighted that they've become a consistent top 7 side since their title victory.
  • Options
    They still spent £55m

More than Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Leicester, Newcastle, Southampton, West Brom and West Ham spent. A lot of those clubs had significant transfer income as well.

Their net transfer spend was the same as Man Uniteds and more than Liverpools so it seems silly to say he hasn't had a lot of money to spend

Starting from a much lower base than all of those clubs though so of course they had to strengthen. They were in league one less than 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Sometimes it doesn't pay to overachieve too much on promotion to the PL

In 2000/01 we achieved a brilliant 9th, but were overshadowed by Ipswich who came 5th. The next season they struggled with being in Europe and got relegated, with Burley sacked a few months after relegation
  • Options
    By all accounts Sheff Utd's wages are basically as low as anyone (imagine Burnley are in a similar ball park to be fair which obviously is a great credit to Dyche).

If Newcastle stay up, I'd bin Bruce and give it to Wilder in a heartbeat. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

They sacked Ranieri because they were in serious danger of getting relegated. I don't think there are any Leicester fans who don't see their title win as a one-off miracle. I would imagine most of them are delighted that they've become a consistent top 7 side since their title victory.
    So...... they won the Prem, then nearly got relegated, sacked the manager, and are now happy with 6 places lower.
    That's exactly my point.

WHU will be next, Moyes gone by Xmas.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Skysports reporting that Wilder passed over signings like Ollie Watkins and Thomas Soucek because he wanted Ramsdale and Brewster. Refused to even entertain the idea of looking at other players. The club board would like him to focus on the coaching side and make less transfer decisions but seems he's not having it. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chunes said:
    Skysports reporting that Wilder passed over signings like Ollie Watkins and Thomas Soucek because he wanted Ramsdale and Brewster. Refused to even entertain the idea of looking at other players. The club board would like him to focus on the coaching side and make less transfer decisions but seems he's not having it. 
    Turned down Ollie Watkins for Oli McBurnie........ouch!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Turned down Ollie Watkins for Oli McBurnie........ouch!
    Think Ramsdale is the best keeper of those four mentioned and called that one right.
  • Options
    Glad he didnt choose us in the end. Play boring football & have no quality up front. I'm disappointed that they have exceeded the lowest Premier League points total set by Derby some years ago. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    He's made some poor signings but Sheff Utd wouldn't even be in the Prem without Chris Wilder. He's a good manager and his take on the 3-5-2 with the overlapping CB is widely regarded. It's mad to let him go. 

It may end up having the same effect on them as when Curbs departed us.
  • Options
    It feels as though Sheff Utd are going through the same issues as us and Liverpool - they need the fans at Bramall Lane to push them on, reckon they'd recover next season with fans back and Wilder in charge albeit in the Championship. 

Its too convenient that the home form of the three clubs has nose dived since Project Restart despite being so strong under the respective Managers
  • Options
    It feels as though Sheff Utd are going through the same issues as us and Liverpool - they need the fans at Bramall Lane to push them on, reckon they'd recover next season with fans back and Wilder in charge albeit in the Championship. 

Its too convenient that the home form of the three clubs has nose dived since Project Restart despite being so strong under the respective Managers
    Not so sure it is anything to do with fans all 3 clubs have suffered injury to key players.  
  • Options
    By all accounts Sheff Utd's wages are basically as low as anyone (imagine Burnley are in a similar ball park to be fair which obviously is a great credit to Dyche).

If Newcastle stay up, I'd bin Bruce and give it to Wilder in a heartbeat. 
    Think Burnley should give most of the credit to us, well, pope. Whenever I watch motd without pope they would be bottom. Maybe they're defense all needs credit,i know They're hopeless up front. 

So, now he's available again.... Anyone fancy him for us?