Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Port Vale v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Best away atmosphere in a while too, Slade got a fair bit of stick at the end, "Russell Slade he ain't got a clue" etc etc.

Best away atmosphere since our last away game you mean?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Anybody who has played the game at any level will know that when you are being well beaten by the opposition but still in sight in terms of the score - when their best/most dangerous player/s come off it gives you a boost. The problem is so serious that during the game I am thinking we need to get a second before our manager decides to park the bus. He has to understand the law of averages - closing games out does not work with the players he has at his disposal. They are generally more talented than our opponents, and he has to maximise that fact. It is clear he doesn't have the wit to do this.

Whilst there have been a number of clues about his negative mindset at other clubs, I am scratching my head trying to work out how this idiot got Orient to a play off final. I think the answer is that he has an eye for a player and built, possibly through a combination of luck and judgement, a squad that had the character to overcome his tactical issues. That chemistry can occur at times, but it clouds his innefficiencies. He can't live off the back of a play off final for ever anyway. This would explain why he was made a director of football by Cardiff, as there are areas where he can offer something, but not as a manager. I'm surprised somebody with no balls doesn't speak in more of a high pitched voice. If I ever have the chance to speak to him, I'll ask him how he manages it!
  • Options
    Checked in at half time to see us winning 1-0, said to myself this will end up 1-1 or a 2-1 defeat. Looked afterwards to see it had finished 1-1.

Lennon is a liability at the back. Gives away too many fouls and picks up too many cards.

The less said about Slade the better. He's a complete and utter joke.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Just back from a day trip to Seattle for all day meetings with a client. Didn't get to listen to or even follow the game but I've just gone through the match thread. Sounds like we were well on top through the first 60ish (hard to tell) minutes or so. Chances created but not taken. The game goes on, we drop deeper, Slade takes off two wingers and a center forward bang in form and we concede almost immediately. Not a surprise.

Ever since he got burned against Wimbledon for not bringing Bauer on against Elliot when it was clear Elliot was dominating, he always looks to make the negative substitution. Since dropping three points against Wimbledon from a winning position, we've dropped a further six from winning positions (Oxford, Oldham, and tonight). I believe Slade's teams are set up to either push players forward (which is rare) or sit deep with static possession. There is no middle ground. It never sounds like we press high up the pitch, win the ball back, do well in transitions between losing and gaining the ball. In short, our set-up is mediocre. Fully agree with Lueth that we should be doing BETTER. I'm not entirely convinced the squad Slade has assembled it good enough for the playoffs without a really good manager which, frankly, we won't get.
  • Options
    Why not give JJ a go. We won't know until we do and he can't do worse.
  • Options

Why not give JJ a go. We won't know until we do and he can't do worse.

Knows the club very well. Knows the league and knows the players. Can see it myself but again - wouldn't want him to tarnish his reputation.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The important factor is he would get the fans behind him and the team and he cant be more negative than Slade - It's impossible. He has enough quality in the side to do well. Keith Peacock (in an advisory capacity) and Jason Euell (as his assistant) could help him.
  • Options
    I would say this in his defence (listening to the commentary). He's getting a lot of stick for subbing Holmes, however, @KillersBeard was pretty clear that Holmes should have been subbed rather than Lookman, because Holmes had collected a yellow for a rash challenge, and then repeated the crime soon afterwards.

And as we all saw, there was no midfield option on the bench. None. He cannot possibly be unaware of it. He cannot possibly be happy about it. I know where the blame lies for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What summed it up for me was when we one a corner right at the end. The players went into the box and nobody went to actually take it, they spent about 10 seconds looking puzzled as we didn't have a set piece taker left on the pitch! Jackson made Fox go and take it and nothing happened.

This to me is a major part of the issue/failings of Slade. Partly down simply to poor management and also due to lack of players in the right positions.

Taking one centre forward off who has run his heart out for 160 minutes in the past few days for another is fine, like for like and fresh legs etc. Taking a winger off for a left back isn't, I suspect Chickson moved more to left back and fox to centre back. The team becomes disjointed and players get out of position as they aren't true utility players (AKA Stevie Brown).

The fact that we get a corner and no one knows who's taking it is simply poor managerial direction. It takes the club Captain to step in, if Jacko wasn't on the pitch I wonder what would have happened. Slade clearly thinks he knows what he is doing but during a game cannot articulate that to the players. More than once he's made subs for a number of players to look to the bench in a 'so what are we doing now' only to see slades back or a silent man with arms folded.

The 1st 11 should be good enough for at least a play off position, but after that and in games post these crazy substitutions we are like a Sunday pub team waiting to see who turns up to fill 11 positions.

Poor squad depth, poor man management, it'll be the experience of some of the players who are the only ones who can dig us out.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sounds like we dominated for an hour and should have been out of sight. Credit must go to Slade for setting the side up to do that away at a team who have dominated at home. But, BUT, again his negative subs lose us the lead. Like our midfield, his first thought is always the negative one. Bringing on another defensive player invites more pressure. Amateur stuff. To then go and slag off the fans who've traveled to Stoke on a Tuesday night Ian unforgivable. Bet Tex was delighted to travel and have Relegation put on the bench ahead of him
  • Options
    PWR

We didn't lose 2 points because of Slade's late substitutions - we lost them due to inept finishing. The game should have been put to bed long before any substitutions were made.

That said, Slade's decisions were very questionable, as is his obvious negativity and risk aversion. He is out of his depth and clearly feeling the pressure - but if all he can do is deflect blame and have a dig at the fans then he can just do one - and the sooner the better. Give JJ a shot at it.

From the playing perspective there were some positives - especially Ricky Holmes who I thought was outstanding. Every time Lookman got the ball you could see the Vale defenders crapping themselves although he did over elaborate at times.

Overall frustrating as we should have won the game comfortably - Vale were very poor. The atmosphere amongst the traveling support was excellent and never stopped encouraging the team - apart from at the very end of course, and if Slade can't take the heat then he can go forth and multiply.

I hope the journey home wasn't too bad for our fans - I was back home drinking a cuppa at 10.30!!
  • Options
    It is true that inept finishing put us in a position where Slade could cock it up. I can't disagree!
  • Options
    Again, I am not excusing him but I just reflected that six years ago, Chris Powell would have arrived for this game needing to make a choice in central midfield between Jacko in his prime, Danny Hollands, and Dale Stephens...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Forgot to mention the travelling faithful gave excellent support throughout with loads of renditions of former player favourites as well as getting behind the team.

Only one anti regime song regarding the CEO and Nabby as far as I can recall, similar to a few other always I've been to this season. Had we gone behind last night I have no doubt the anti regime chants would have started up and Gillingham will be a different kettle of fish with a gifferent mix of the fan base, should things not be going well.
  • Options
    Has no one realised that Fox was at fault for yet another goal, if he had cleared it properly instead of waving a foot at it, Lennon would never have had to make that tackle. I don't understand how Fox is a professional football player, especially with the young talent that's not being scouted these days. Fox is awful!
  • Options

Lennon is a liability at the back. Gives away too many fouls and picks up too many cards.

To be fair to Lennon, he has only played in one game spells this season. In my opinion, if he had a run of games at centre half, he would find his feet and stop the mistakes as he did last season for us and Gillingham.
  • Options
    Hit the bar. Hit the post. Many free kicks and corners that failed to create. Sounds like we should have sewn this up and got an away win. Poor finishing and a cautious manager though = another draw.

Still........a result, and away from home, so not all bad.

Slade sounds in the post match interview rattled and defensive. If his attitude seeps through to the players we'll be in League One for quite some time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched the highlights from last night. Fox at fault again after slicing the ball in his own box.What a shit shit player he really is.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Just watched the highlights from last night. Fox at fault again after slicing the ball in his own box.What a shit shit player he really is.

Yep if fox doesn't fuck up Lennon doesn't concede penalty and we win. Simples
  • Options
    I'm desperately trying to understand why Slade keeps making these subs and picking this defense. Surely if Holmes has played 83 mins he can manage another 10? Magennis looks like he could play 2 games in a row if asked (although fair enough if he had a head injury). We have 1 position oversubscribed at CB and Lennon gets a start.

The lack of CMs is a massive issue. Wonder how many points we would have gained with 1 better option?

It's not exactly like Slade's tactics are incredible either. Beginning to think there must be a better manager elsewhere, although I'm reluctant to blame everything on a manager who isnt given the tools for the job.
  • Options

Not one "Roland Out" during the entire evening, but Katrien got a few mentions and an older woman in front of us was clearly upset by this and turned to face the masses and made it very clear that she did not feel attention of this sort against our CEO was acceptable, telling them to shut up. Confused.

Sue Parkes?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Rizzo said:

Not one "Roland Out" during the entire evening, but Katrien got a few mentions and an older woman in front of us was clearly upset by this and turned to face the masses and made it very clear that she did not feel attention of this sort against our CEO was acceptable, telling them to shut up. Confused.

Sue Parkes?

Not sure but If it's the woman I'm thinking of she's got previous in with the away following with her 'Shushing and be quiet' little outbursts.
  • Options
    Would be good to hear from those there if Magennis and Holmes were knackered thus giving some semblance of reasoning to them being subbed?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Just got back in.

I've never seen us miss so many sitters, was painful.

I think Slade got us playing some really decent football last night, very positive.
    Shame we have so many players who cannot hit a barn door. Should have been a very comfortable win.

So the two dropped points were really the players fault rather than the managers in your opinion?

• Options

Would be good to hear from those there if Magennis and Holmes were knackered thus giving some semblance of reasoning to them being subbed?

Holmes didn't seem knackered but was on a yellow which may have been a consideration but so late in the game I wouldn't have brought him off.

Magennis was flagging I thought and had suffered a head injury but Novak sub more logical as like for like Chicksen for Holmes was not.
  • Options
    wasn't there .. seems like it's all been mentioned above .. we lose yet another lead late in the game ... poor selections .. poor substitutions .. on the cup 1/2 full side .. another point gained .. 1/2 empty cup .. another point lost .. sort it out Slade or shove off or be shoved off