Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands that you would recommend. That aren't that well known now.

Comments

• Options
    Salako
  • Options
    The Rubinoos!
  • Options
    Foals
  • Options
    WIZZO1952 said:

Daggs said:

Be-bop deluxe (well their first album really)

Ducks deluxe (coincidently) (again their first album)

Cars

PUB ROCK at it's finest hour ...!!!!
    Be Bop Deluxe were one of my favourite bands of the 70s. Bill Nelson- Great guitarist.

I'll throw in Eddie and the Hot Rods, to compliment Dr Feelgood & also Kilburn and the High Roads.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The Dark ...great band from the late 70's / early 80's. I saw them many times although they never had great success.

Unfortunately most of the band have now passed away.

deathrock.com/dark/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Original Mirrors ...two superb albums and co-founders included Ian Broudie pre-Lightning Seeds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Mirrors
  • Options

Bellowhead

Great choice
  • Options
    The Rezillos. Can't stand the Rezillos is still one of my favourite albums.

rezillos.rocks
  • Options
    The Kills
    Clean Bandit
    Boxer Rebellion
    Wild Beasts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Skinny Lister, they're supporting The Dropkick Murphys in Jan 17, when they're over.
    Matilda's scoundrels
  • Options

The streets.

Don't even care if I get lol'd or flagged, mike skinner is repeatedly underrated and overlooked.

Fully agree
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    These guys are big in the jazz/neo-soul/funk/fusion worlds - and imo are all pretty accessible. While big in their respective circles, I don't think CL would know any of them that well, so:

Snarky Puppy - Gone Under, feat. Shayna Steele which is one of their Family Dinner collaborations. For some pure Snarky, here is What About Me? from We Like It Here. They are whatever you want them to be - rock, jazz, funk, soul, RnB, whatever. Absolute big dogs.

Hiatus Kaiyote - who encompass neo-soul/future soul/RNB/jazz-funk/everything and sound very cool. This is Shaolin Monk Motherfunk from Choose Your Weapon.

Jacob Collier - he is the "boy wonder" of the jazz world, and performed at the Quincy Jones Prom this year. He can sing, play anything, and has an incredible knowledge of music theory and creates absolutely immense stuff - all by himself. Here is his arrangement of Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing by Stevie Wonder.

Youngblood Brass Band - they're a traditional New Orleans brass band, but much funkier, dirtier and filthier and generally great to rock out to. Here's their version of Human Nature, by Michael Jackson.

Tower of Power - super funky funk band. Possibly one of the best horn sections to have graced this planet. So much oomph. I have one question for you: WHAT IS HIP?

And there's much more. If you like this sort of stuff let me know and I can recommend even more!

(Edited for formatting)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

The streets.

Don't even care if I get lol'd or flagged, mike skinner is repeatedly underrated and overlooked.

Not really my kind of thing generally, but even I think he's pretty good.

Sonny Green is pretty good too.
  • Options
    WIZZO1952 said:

Broken Witt Rebels .... a cross between Kings of Leon and Rival Sons. I saw them last Thursday , very good ...!!!!

Agreed. The support act were very good too, The Kris Barass Band
  • Options
    Fad Gadget
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Going to live gigs is a real passion of mine. There are so many great live bands out there that need exposure. Find your nearest local venues and use them!

Really annoys me that people stay in and watch X Factor on a Saturday night. Get out and see real, talented musicians live!

Get yourself to Brixton O2 academy Nov 6th to see Zemfira.
    She is a Russian artist who is as big in the 'Soviet' world as Madonna is in the West. She does sing in Russian it's true. But the music is great.

I do have a vested interest, my son is in the band. :)
  • Options
    Milburn
    The Rifles
  • Options
    The Rakes. 3 great albums and then split.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Afro Celt Sound System. Gogol Bordello. Both these acts were at the Cambridge Folk Festival this year. I had not heard of them before but they are both amazing live.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Fad Gadget

Yeah I would go with this ........ sadly long gone .

• Options

Going to live gigs is a real passion of mine. There are so many great live bands out there that need exposure. Find your nearest local venues and use them!

Really annoys me that people stay in and watch X Factor on a Saturday night. Get out and see real, talented musicians live!

Agreed , I'm into my synth scene from the early days and in the last 6 years it has exploded , lots of long weekend gigs out there , Bas Electro- synth event(Basildon) is a yearly event that's been going for a good few years , starts on the Friday and finishes Sunday , they even manage to draw in some of the major acts , Blancmange, Heaven 17 ,and at only £35 for the weekend a Bargain.
  • Options
    Tangerine Dream ... loved all their early albums but haven't listened to them in years. Now on the list for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Belle and Sebastian
    Sebadoh
  • Options
    The Gonads.
  • Options
    Badger said:

The Gonads.

Mate is their drummer
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Get yourself to Brixton O2 academy Nov 6th to see Zemfira.
    She is a Russian artist who is as big in the 'Soviet' world as Madonna is in the West. She does sing in Russian it's true. But the music is great.

I do have a vested interest, my son is in the band. :)
    Blimey, how did that happen?

How would you categorise her music? Mainstream, or something a bit different?

• Options
    Saw someone list Mogwai earlier so going to assume that all their mates are fair game as well (apologies as I don't know what is big over there or even what is big over here). Also, my musical tastes at the moment can be divided into basically two countries, Scotland and Iceland.

Scotland:

The Twilight Sad
    Frightened Rabbit
    Errors
    We Were Promised Jetpacks
    Minor Victories: Made up of members of Mogwai, The Editors, and someone else. They've recently put out a brilliant record

Iceland:
    Agent Fresco--heavier stuff but Arnor Dan, their lead singer is SO good, did the vox for the Broadchurch soundtrack which was composed by his mate:
    Olafur Arnalds: neo-classical composer. Incredible. He is also in a electronic duo:
    Kiasmos: beautiful electronic music
    Nils Frahm: Okay so he's German but he has a series of collabs with Olafur Arnalds
  • Options
    Sunhouse
    Ella Guru