Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should I be able to defend my family in our own home without fear?

Comments

• Off_it said:

agree .. no knife just a bat or possibly a mallet, something hard but not potentially lethal .. and if you're cornered or attacked, belt the fucker as hard as you like .. but always give them a chance to 'retreat' .. self defence is the key to causing an intruder serious injury and 'getting away with it' .. it's a VERY frightening experience having trouble in or around your home .. you gotta defend yourself and your family though

But luckily you've left the urban cesspit of Beckenham behind you now Lincs.

;-)
    well, if you live in Beckenham, it would suit you, as it's a cesspit
    The Penge side anyway.
  • Off_it said:

So glad I don't live in London. Many parts now not safe imo.

Yeah, you're right. Because there are no break-ins or arseholes outside of London are there. FACT.

But then again if you don't live in London how would you know what it's like to live there?
    Sorry if I touched a nerve but I left London a while ago and life is a lot more pleasant and there is a lot less crime outside the Capital. Just saying.
  • Firstly glad you and your family are safe. Secondly you could have been writing from a prison cell on an murder charge. Thirdly you are so brave I would have ran upstairs and sent the wife down to sort it out. If they see the way she dresses for bed they would have died of laughter. Glad you're all safe and that the main thing.
  • I think the law states reasonable force as in what ever is deemed necessary to protect yourself and your home. Tricky really as what you may consider necessary a judge may disagree with.

Glad you are all ok though.
  • You can do whatever you need to justifiably do to immediately protect yourself and your family, and you're protected in law to do so. The problem comes when people go too far and are not acting in self defence as in the Tony Martin case.
    Can't think of anyone who's been imprisoned for genuinely just defending themselves against people who have broke into their house?
  • Someone breaks in and tries to attack me will slip in it before he gets to me.
  • Best to accept there's never a definitive answer to any moral dilemma. Do your genuine best to do the right thing and most people will respect your decision.

But don't shoot an intruder in the bathroom to protect your family without at least checking that it actually is an intruder (even if you are famous).
  • For years and years I kept a cricket bad in the bedroom just in case I needed to defend my household. The obvious weapon of this type is a baseball bat (as had been mentioned above), but I'm British and proud of it! What would I be doing with a baseball bat?

These days I don't need it as my new missus has been home office trained in control and restraint techniques as part of her job. :-)
  • Clb74 is a brute of a man, but I am very pleased he did not have to resort to anything that would lead him in to trouble.
  • Off_it said:

agree .. no knife just a bat or possibly a mallet, something hard but not potentially lethal .. and if you're cornered or attacked, belt the fucker as hard as you like .. but always give them a chance to 'retreat' .. self defence is the key to causing an intruder serious injury and 'getting away with it' .. it's a VERY frightening experience having trouble in or around your home .. you gotta defend yourself and your family though

;-)
    The Penge side anyway.
    Cheeky git born and lived in penge till I was 11
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

Off_it said:

;-)
    The Penge side anyway.
    Cheeky git born and lived in penge till I was 11
    And you survived is to be commended.
  • Very simple open the door and kick the shit out of him. If my family were indoors it is a given. Why would you need a knife?
  • Very simple open the door and kick the shit out of him. If my family were indoors it is a given. Why would you need a knife?

In case the intruder is armed
  • Wonder what Eric Bristow woulda done as a darts player
  • Remember in various houses around London I've lived in, back in my more formative years, I yearned to find someone in my house or breaking into my car or summing, just so I could go to town on someone with a good reason. The only time it ever nearly happened was when 2 fellas come into my mates business on the industrial estate behind the COOP undertakers on the main road there, turned out my pal had a similar yearning to me and I couldn't get a look in.

I've changed now like

What is a knife going to do if he is armed, if anything it is going to get you in more trouble as there is an intent when charged due to the fact you have gone to get a weapon in the knowledge of it could kill someone.
    If you aren't confident on handling yourself then get a baseball bat, it's an extension to your attack and defence without potentially murdering someone.

What is a knife going to do if he is armed, if anything it is going to get you in more trouble as there is an intent when charged due to the fact you have gone to get a weapon in the knowledge of it could kill someone.
    If you aren't confident on handling yourself then get a baseball bat, it's an extension to your attack and defence without potentially murdering someone.
    Knife, bat, club or whatever the point i was trying to make is that IF you are going to open the door be prepared for the intruder to be armed.
    If you are not confident in that situation stay indoors and dial 999.
    And yes mate i am confident that i can handle myself.

Knife, bat, club or whatever the point i was trying to make is that IF you are going to open the door be prepared for the intruder to be armed.
    So if you had a family indoors you wouldn't go out and confront them and call 999 just to wait for the police to arrive.

So if you had a family indoors you wouldn't go out and confront them and call 999 just to wait for the police to arrive.
    If you read my post properly you will see that i said that i am confident that i can handle myself.
    So yes I would open the door and yes I would be armed
  • Sponsored links:

• Or do what @Robbo on the wing does and use the actual door as the weapon

Very simple open the door and kick the shit out of him. If my family were indoors it is a given. Why would you need a knife?

If you read my post properly you will see that i said that i am confident that i can handle myself.
    if the baddies are outside and you are inside, why not bolt the door and call the OB?
    Going out is not a smart move.
  • What happens if you open the door, go out, scrap with one, then it turns out there are 4 of them and one of them coshes you on the head from behind, don't even see it. Now the door is open, family are inside and you are knocked out cold?

Never any formula you can follow in those situations, most people I assume simply do what is the instant reaction they feel at the time. I've stormed downstairs and round the house unarmed shouting my head off like a loon on the couple of times I thought I've heard intruders downstairs. Ironically, my instant reaction on the couple of times my alarm went off in the night was to sprint down and turn the alarm off first, which was probably the stupidest thing to do if we'd been burgled

Your no spring chicken anymore. I suppose you could garrotte them with the cable from your electric blanket.

Very simple open the door and kick the shit out of him. If my family were indoors it is a given. Why would you need a knife?

if the baddies are outside and you are inside, why not bolt the door and call the OB?
    I take you're point Mr.Bonce but what if old Bill take hours to turn up.
    Do you then wait for the intruder to break in to you're home and confront them inside or do you open the door and confront him outside.

Just saying
  • edited December 2016
    Personally, I would look to avoid confrontation, as has already been mentioned, these people obviously know where you live.

That is me looking out for my own personal safety though, for me, what happens to someone when they enter someone else's home is exactly what they deserve, and I include the people Tony Martin shot, I am guessing people who burgle don't just do it once, and I am guessing most of them aren't contributing members of society during the day. And we all know what the police will do...

Not that I would do it, out of fear of what could happen to my family, but burglars in my opinion do not deserve to be alive. It's not like you're killing someone who is about to find the cure to cancer.

Your no spring chicken anymore. I suppose you could garrotte them with the cable from your electric blanket.
    I was going to get Elfsborg to buy the first round next Friday.
    Now it's you buying: )

I take you're point Mr.Bonce but what if old Bill take hours to turn up.
    Do you then wait for the intruder to break in to you're home and confront them inside or do you open the door and confront him outside.

Just saying
    Going out to confront will open a legal can of worms. YOU went out, YOU attacked him/them.
    If THEY come in to YOUR house you can do more or less anything if you FEEL threatened.

When I started doing Krav Maga i thought I was a bit lively but the instructor soon brought me down to earth with a bump (literally)
    We all like to think we can handle ourselves but what happens if the other bloke can handle himself a bit better?
  • What happens if you open the door, go out, scrap with one, then it turns out there are 4 of them and one of them coshes you on the head from behind, don't even see it. Now the door is open, family are inside and you are knocked out cold?

Never any formula you can follow in those situations, most people I assume simply do what is the instant reaction they feel at the time. I've stormed downstairs and round the house unarmed shouting my head off like a loon on the couple of times I thought I've heard intruders downstairs. Ironically, my instant reaction on the couple of times my alarm went off in the night was to sprint down and turn the alarm off first, which was probably the stupidest thing to do if we'd been burgled

Well if four of them can't break in then they must be the worst bunch of burglars in the world.

Well if four of them can't break in then they must be the worst bunch of burglars in the world.
    Now that was funny