Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honeymoon Advice

Comments

• Options
    Belgium?
  • Options

The Bejaya Hotel on the island of Lankawi Malaysia.
    White sand - hot sun and the Jungle as a back stop, honeymoon paradise.
    For a bit of culture you could stop over at Georgetown on the island of Penang.
    On the way back visit Singapore.

Good suggestion that lovely place Georgetown.
  • Options
    Depends what you want from your honeymoon.
    For a bit of adventure - flight to Denver in Colorado.
    Car hire driving north through Gran Teton national park to Yellowstone National park.
    Rent a cabin in Mammoth Springs hotel in Yellowstone.
    September is an excellent time to see Bears wolves etc.
  • Options
    We done the American west coast in May of this year. LA, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco then picked up a RV and drove north to Napa and Lake Tahoe before heading south to the national parks (Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley) before heading to Vegas. Was away 3 weeks, stayed in 5* hotels in SB, Monterey, San Fran and Vegas, flew out Premium Economy and flew back Business class. Cost £7.5k in total through Trail Finders. If you don't want to stay in 5* accommodation and fly economy then it'll be a damn sight cheaper.

In contrast, my brother and sister-in-law literally came back from their honeymoon last Friday. Kuala Lumpar, Penang, Singapore and Lankawi for 3 weeks. All 5* hotels, Business class both ways and without spending money, they didn't get any change out of £15k. We thought we had been extravagant. Having seen some of their pictures, I can see why they went there now.

As a suggestion, what about South Africa? Cape Town and the surrounding wine regions are stunning, especially the Stellenbosch region. I haven't been there but my wife has been out there three or four times and she says its one of the most stunning places she's seen and she has seen an awful lot. Its expensive to get there, ie the flights but its as cheap as chips out there.
  • Options
    It's hurricane season in the Caribbean; monsoon season in parts of SE Asia; and too cold down under. Try the Med (Sorrento is a great call), or US (after Labor Day is best - much quieter), but not Florida, or maybe Canada?
  • Options
    Sanibel or Captiva Islands on Gulf Coast of Florida
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Went to South Africa for mine. 10 rand to the £ at the time. Hit 24 rand about a year ago and is still about 17 now so would be great value.

Flew to Cape Town, had flights, car and 3 nights in Cape Town booked. Then just went off to the wine regions and up the garden route. Whale watching season would be in full flow, you can just stand on the shore and watch them. So much to do, lovely weather and reasonable prices. Flying there is a doddle as there is no time difference and flights are something like 12 hours through the night so if you can sleep on the plane you get up in the morning ready for the first day of your trip.

Loved it, would go again but 2 small kids means flying 12 hours is a no go.

Alternative would be a safari although not sure when in the year is best to go... Check out www.africatravelresource.com who took us to Tanzannia, my best holiday ever (although not cheap they will work something to fit your budget-within reason-from luxury lodges to bivouac under the stars.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Lots of really good suggestions for sunny, relaxing holidays. But here's one that's a bit left-field...

How about trekking through a jungle on the edge of a volcano to view, first-hand, mountain gorillas in their natural habitat? It's pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime experience and far less expensive than you might imagine. You can get there from Kigali in Rwanda. If it sounds interesting, let me know and I can message you with details of a company I know that arranges everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sri Lanka.

Beautiful, beautiful island and you get treated like royalty as well
  • Options
    Everybody on here (me as well) will "promote" favourite places. It does however, depend upon the type of holiday you want and of course, your total budget.

I have travelled to 86 different countries/islands, covering every world continent. If you are looking for a laid back holiday then both wife and I would highly recommend The Maldives;, better than both Mauritius and Seychelles in our opinion.

Mauritius can be busy, particularly in the capital, Port Louis (heavy traffic), but nevertheless, a nice holiday. Seychelles is far less busy but again, the capital, Victoria, is quant but does have a set of traffic lights (just one set, I believe - but am happy to be challenged on that).

Conversely, the two separate islands we have been in The Maldives (have been five times to date) have no vehicles, thus no roads and can be very small and thus intimate. Have a look at Rannalhi, so small you can walk from one end of the island to the other in just 7 minutes! Plenty of equatic life, including large 2m Nurse Sharks (completely harmless if not provoked), sting ray, beautiful large Manta Ray (with which you can swim at the right time of the year), turtles and dolphins. Recommend stay in a water bungalow, situated over the (shallow) sea. Best two months in terms of least rain are August and November, but the temperature is a constant 30 degrees all year round. You can have a all inclusive 14 day for between £5k - £5.5k holiday, total cost for two..

We are looking at our first Pacific Island cruise next year (cheap end of the market); flying into Sydney for two days/nights stay, then a 10 day cruise which takes in Fiji, New Caledonia, New Hebrides and a couple of other islands which I haven't researched yet. That comes out at about £3.5k each, but excludes the bar-bill costs and trips on the islands.

But as I said at the start of this post, it is a matter of choice and I could recommend many slightly cheaper holidays, for example in the Caribbean (best islands we have been to are Barbados, Antigua and the Bahamas.

Best of luck with your wedding and honeymoon!!
  • Options
    The fixture list for the 17/18 season is yet to be published, I think this all very pie in the sky until those fixtures get announced
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Lots of really good suggestions for sunny, relaxing holidays. But here's one that's a bit left-field...

How about trekking through a jungle on the edge of a vilcano to view, first-hand, mountain gorillas in their natural habitat? It's pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime experience and far less expensive than you might imagine. You can get there from Kigali in Rwanda. If it sounds interesting, let me know and I can message you with details of a company I know that arranges everything.

Sounds incredible! Not a honeymoon but planning a trip next year, so would be grateful of any recommendations you may have mate
  • Options
    September is in the middle of the Hurricane season in the Caribbean, but if you can afford Barbados, they have not had a hurricane for over 100 years as they are too far east for it. I have been to the Caribbean a few times during hurricane season, and the only time it nearly bothered me was this year in Jamaica, I came back a week before it hit, although we had short thunderstorms most days. Dominican Republic is also very good and not as pricey as other popular islands. Have a good honeymoon wherever you go, never to be forgotten
  • Options
    We got married in September 2010 and had a short uk break straight after, but delayed honeymoon until Christmas and went to the Ashes in Melbourne and Sydney. Tempted to go again next Christmas..... you can have a second honeymoon after 7 years right?

Another vote for South Africa too - went on 1st January this year (again for cricket) at 23 rand to the £ came home with bundles of dosh! Garden Route, Boulder's Beach, Robben Island, Addo, Plett, George, Wilderness and Mossel Bay.
  • Options

Chizz said:

How about trekking through a jungle on the edge of a vilcano to view, first-hand, mountain gorillas in their natural habitat? It's pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime experience and far less expensive than you might imagine. You can get there from Kigali in Rwanda. If it sounds interesting, let me know and I can message you with details of a company I know that arranges everything.

Sounds incredible! Not a honeymoon but planning a trip next year, so would be grateful of any recommendations you may have mate
    I have sent you a PM...
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I have sent you a PM...
    I'm generally interested in this as well
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I have sent you a PM...
    Me too please, Chizz.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wherever you go take some of this along.
  • Options
    I have sent PMs to @sinking feesh and @bobmunro about Rwanda. If anyone else wants to know about tours in this country, let me know. (I don't want to appear as if I am advertising - so I will keep it all off the thread).
  • Options
    Yes, agree with Addicted, Sri Lanka is a beautiful country and not very expensive to go and yes you get treated like royalty.
  • Options
    I used Turquoise Holidays: https://www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk/

I did two nights in LA and then six nights each on two different Tahitian Islands (Moorea and Bora Bora). I was extremely lucky to have generous family and wedding guests which covered 50% of the costs of which was a stupidly expensive trip.

If you can afford to go out that way though, you'll never be so stunned at the natural beauty of the place. We saved like hell to be in a position to spend that money but I'll never regret it.
  • Options
    Rwanda fun fact: in an effort to heal the country after the genocide, the government plan for economic and social growth has centered around creating an ambitious technology and internet infrastructure. They have very wisely invested in cutting edge fibre broadband deployment and offered all kinds of incentives for companies to operate there and train workers in things like video production. Kigali has tremendous fibre networks and the government is working to widen access as quickly as possible.
  • Options

Went to Sotuh Africa for mine. 10 rand to the £ at the time. Hit 24 rand about a year ago and is still about 17 now so would be great value.

Flew to Cape Town, had flights, car and 3 nights in Cape Town booked. Then just went off to the wine regions and up the garden route. Whale watching season would be in full flow, you can just stand on the shore and watch them. So much to do, lovely weather and reasonable prices. Flying there is a doddle as there is no time difference and flights are something like 12 hours through the night so if you can sleep on the plane you get up in the morning ready for the first day of your trip.

Loved it, would go again but 2 small kids means flying 12 hours is a no go.

Alternative would be a safari although not sure when in the year is best to go... Check out www.africatravelresource.com who took us to Tanzannia, my best holiday ever (although not cheap they will work something to fit your budget-within reason-from luxury lodges to bivouac under the stars.

South Africa is a good shout - no Dewani jokes though
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Rwanda fun fact: in an effort to heal the country after the genocide, the government plan for economic and social growth has centered around creating an ambitious technology and internet infrastructure. They have very wisely invested in cutting edge fibre broadband deployment and offered all kinds of incentives for companies to operate there and train workers in things like video production. Kigali has tremendous fibre networks and the government is working to widen access as quickly as possible.

Except... in many cases it's metered. So, if you've used your allowance by mid afternoon, no Netflix in the evening.
  • Options
    We went to tge Maldives for ours in sept 97, fantastic place.
  • Options
    Santorini is a beautiful island that won't cost the earth, lovely honeymoon destination. Should be good weather in September.
  • Options
    Bermuda. You can help run Charlton life towers.