Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall v Charlton | Wed 21 Dec | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Millwall v Charlton Athletic
Wednesday 21st December 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Kavanagh (Lancashire)

Introduction

So Saturday saw the end of Football at the Valley for 2016 and you have to admit it wasn’t the end to a year that we hoped for, rather a game that epitomised the whole year for Charlton Athletic… Last Saturday saw Peterborough United visit the Valley, a side chasing one of four Play-Off positions and judging by their performance could be a strong bet for a top six finish.

Two goals midway through each half saw a 2-0 victory for the visitors which left new man; Karl Robinson still chasing his first victory, now comes the good and the bad news… The good news is the fact we now have the immediate opportunity to put things right this Wednesday night… The bad news is the fact we’re playing Millwall.

The Opposition
Name: Millwall | Manager: Neil Harris
Ground: The New Den

When the fixture list was released in June many will have looked for this particular game yet the fans of both clubs have been forced to wait for what is a proper London Derby this week. Originally due to be played in October, the match was cancelled due to international call-ups and with the amount of cup competitions played in the first half of the season it’s been impossible to fit the game in earlier.

It’s been a year and a half since these two sides last met, a Championship fixture that saw Chris Solly sent off with Millwall coming from behind yet baby steps were made by the Addicks, when Alou Diarra scored the opener it was our first goal against the Lions for six fixtures and six years… As well all know though, this particular South London Derby is the most one sided derby in history but there is a glimmer of light, the last time these two sides played on a weekday, the Addicks were victorious…

Could history repeat itself and finally give the Addicks some cheer over their local neighbours.

Charlton Team News
Prior to Saturdays match it was confirmed by Karl Robinson that Declan Rudd would have appeared against Peterborough but for a freak slip in training which slightly set back his recovery. Also confirmed in that interview was the fact that Lee Novak joins the injury list and will now be out for 4-5 weeks leaving Josh Magennis and Nicky Ajose as our main Strikers left available.

Saturday wasn’t a great performance for any of the players yet with Morgan Fox sarcastically cheered off the pitch; the Manager could choose to rest a player who has appeared in a Charlton shirt more times than anyone else this season yet in a derby match where form goes out the window, players who care and will put in the effort to get one over their rivals is surely what is needed and in Morgan Fox we’ve player who has come through our Academy who will certainly know what this fixture is about!!

Phillips
Foley | Bauer | Teixeira | Fox
Lookman | Crofts | Ulvestad | Chicksen
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Johnson | Konsa | Botaka | Jackson | Aribo | Hanlan

Prediction
Every year we say it’s got to be finally our year yet with both sides out of form it’s difficult to see which side will win… As already mentioned derby games are where form goes out of the window and Millwall as always will surely be up for the match… I see both sides getting a hard fought draw with the wait continuing.

Comments

• Options
    Was hoping that being the only League game here in England / Scotland on Wednesday night there would be a stream yet sadly there is an FA Cup replay (being shown on BT Sport) whilst FOX Sports are showing a couple of German games

http://sportsmania.eu/sites/ukcalendar.html
  • Options
    I don't know if Morrison and Gregory are fit. If both are, I can see this going only one way. If either is out, we've got a chance of a draw.
  • Options
    2-1 loss, freezing night at the den.
  • Options

I don't know if Morrison and Gregory are fit. If both are, I can see this going only one way. If either is out, we've got a chance of a draw.

Am sure @MillwallFan will be better to confirm but Gregory played the 90-mins against Scunthorpe on Saturday whilst Steve Morison came on at Half-Time guess that was to try and give him some fitness ahead of our match
  • Options
    I doubt we will be as bad a Saturday but the hoodoo rolls on. Draw.
  • Options
    Start of an all too rare 2 away games in a week for me

Anyone who thinks we will beat Millwall needs to have a lie down in a dark room

And if you know your history...

2-0 defeat after we start well and batter them for an hour
  • Options
    Standard Charlton trip to the rusty toolbox, we dominate for an hour, then roll over for the usual 2-0 defeat - Happy bloody Christmas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Despite everything, I am looking forward to this ... a very rare 1-2 Addicks win.
  • Options
    This will be my first ever visit to Millwall so hopefully will be a lucky omen. Going on the CAS Trust coach and will have a good time. Losing is expected but this is the season for inexplicable things to happen.
  • Options
    2-1 win.

Christmas comes early.
  • Options
    We were bad on Saturday, really bad. But Millwall are terrible and Bradford gave me hope. Chickesen has to start.

2-0 to Charlton
  • Options
    A Magennis first half double is then cancelled out by 2 late Millwall goals. The wait continues.. Millwall 2 Charlton 2.
  • Options

Comfortable away win 4-0.

Please please please please please let this be the one you get right.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The natives are restless. Harris is coming under pressure from our knuckle dragging chums so all is not rosy down at Senegal Fields. The question is whether it's any less rosy that at The Valley.

Our centre backs will need to be on top of their game because the current trend is for them to hit a lot of long balls hoping for a knock down for Gregory. Midfield is not where they do their best work which might actually suit us given our non existent midfield.

History, luck and practically everything else is against us with this fixture and I don't see too much changing on Wednesday.

As much as I wish otherwise I can't see past 2 - 0 to the scum with both an early and late goal. :0((
  • Options
    Every time this fixture comes around I momentarily think to myself..."This is going to be THE year" even though every bone in my body knows from experience it won't be.

I'll let you know when that moment occurs but for now, the very best I can see is a 0-0 but only if they have an off night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-0.
  • Options
    prediction!!!!! PAIN!!!!!!
  • Options
    1-0 loss
  • Options
    I'm really not sure what Robinson will play. We don't really have a proper winger in the absence of Holmes so it's one end of the extreme or the other; the geriatric Foley or the enigmatic Botaka. Might not be the game to try it, but would love to see this:

Rudd
    Foley Bauer Tex Chicksen
    Jacko Crofts Ulvestad
    Magennis Lookman Ajose

They're just as bad as we are, so take it to 'em, attack and we might grab something. We won't, so 3-1 Millwall.
  • Options
    tenner is being stuck ona Charlton win; last of the big betters I am
  • Options
    Last time we beat them I was one year old. It's gotta happen at some point. Surely?!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @masicat Mark Reid (left back) ? Balmer and Shields (right backs) were later on.
  • Options

Last time we beat them I was one year old. It's gotta happen at some point. Surely?!

Last time we beat Millwall, Santa Claus just had bum fluff and Donald Trump had his own hair.
  • Options
    Rudd
    Foley Bauer Tex Fox
    Lookman Jacko Crofts Ulvestad Chicksen
    Magennis

Surely a reaction after Saturday.

1-0 CAFC.

Still naively excited