Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt returns (a wishful thinking thread)

Comments

• Options

Di Canio was an exemplary professional. Nuttso but exemplary. Tony is just Nuttso.

I know these were mostly before playing for Charlton (where I couldn’t fault him at all) but didn't Di Canio have to be moved on twice in Italy for rowing with managers (and fell out with Roeder at West Ham), push a referee over when he red carded him resulting in a ten match ban, threaten the entire Ranger’s bench during the Glasgow derby, refuse to go on preseason tour with Celtic until they gave him a payrise, had a sit-down protest on the pitch during the game at West Ham because he felt the ref should have awarded him a penalty and celebrate scoring for Lazio by giving a fascist salute.

I loved him as a player but I'm not sure I would call him an exemplary professional.

• Options
    milo said:

Di Canio was an exemplary professional. Nuttso but exemplary. Tony is just Nuttso.

I know these were mostly before playing for Charlton (where I couldn’t fault him at all) but didn't Di Canio have to be moved on twice in Italy for rowing with managers (and fell out with Roeder at West Ham), push a referee over when he red carded him resulting in a ten match ban, threaten the entire Ranger’s bench during the Glasgow derby, refuse to go on preseason tour with Celtic until they gave him a payrise, had a sit-down protest on the pitch during the game at West Ham because he felt the ref should have awarded him a penalty and celebrate scoring for Lazio by giving a fascist salute.

I loved him as a player but I'm not sure I would call him an exemplary professional.

He was with us.
  • Options
    He did catch the ball that time when the goalie was injured when he could have scored though
  • Options
    milo said:

Yeah - but other than that, what did the Roman ever do to us?
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

He did catch the ball that time when the goalie was injured when he could have scored though

Should have been yellow carded....deliberate handball.
  • Options

Tony Watt is set to be put through a gruelling fitness test on his Charlton Athletic return – with boss Karl Robinson revealing he tried to sign the Scottish striker while in charge at Milton Keynes.

The 23-year-old was loaned to Hearts at the start of August and has made 17 appearances, scoring once.

But Watt is returning to South London.

The question is whether he can still have a part to play for Charlton. Previous loans to Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers contained potential permanent deals.

Robinson said: “He’s going to come in and I’m going to run the legs off him – make him sweat and cry – to see whether he has got the balls to play for me.

“That’s the top and the bottom of it.

“There’s so many questions about Tony Watt – his attitude and desire – but no-one in this football world would ever question his talent. I tried to sign him 12 months ago in this window. I’m not too sure Charlton know that.

“But he has got to come back and apologise for certain things and he has to endear himself to the fans, me and the club. If you want to play football then come to a club that is going places – with great young players, great fans and great desire.

“Come and prove me wrong. Try and come and be the best player in the league.

“We need to bring him back for testing and I’ll see in that testing if he’s got the application to be here.”

This is I think top draw from Robinson. Leaves no doubt in Watts mind where he stands. It's basically a challange to Watts professional pride. If he can't rise to it he might as well chuck it in. It also lays it out for every other manager out there. Watt can't make it back with us then it's going to be very difficult for him to get a gig.

Well done Karl

The gruelling fitness test is probably a race with Southend Physio to the nearest pie and mash shop.
    Bleep test with JJ.
    Not sure of you're joking but JJ won the pre season bleep test
    I watched the preseason bleep test, Cousins won it and Holmes came second.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Tony Watt is set to be put through a gruelling fitness test on his Charlton Athletic return – with boss Karl Robinson revealing he tried to sign the Scottish striker while in charge at Milton Keynes.

The 23-year-old was loaned to Hearts at the start of August and has made 17 appearances, scoring once.

The question is whether he can still have a part to play for Charlton. Previous loans to Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers contained potential permanent deals.

Robinson said: “He’s going to come in and I’m going to run the legs off him – make him sweat and cry – to see whether he has got the balls to play for me.

“There’s so many questions about Tony Watt – his attitude and desire – but no-one in this football world would ever question his talent. I tried to sign him 12 months ago in this window. I’m not too sure Charlton know that.

“But he has got to come back and apologise for certain things and he has to endear himself to the fans, me and the club. If you want to play football then come to a club that is going places – with great young players, great fans and great desire.

“We need to bring him back for testing and I’ll see in that testing if he’s got the application to be here.”

This is I think top draw from Robinson. Leaves no doubt in Watts mind where he stands. It's basically a challange to Watts professional pride. If he can't rise to it he might as well chuck it in. It also lays it out for every other manager out there. Watt can't make it back with us then it's going to be very difficult for him to get a gig.

Well done Karl

The gruelling fitness test is probably a race with Southend Physio to the nearest pie and mash shop.
    Bleep test with JJ.
    Jacko won the dad's race
    Can't only beat what's infront of you...
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Dizzle said:

Should have been yellow carded....deliberate handball.
    Red Card, stopped a goal scoring opportunity
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well done Karl

Bleep test with JJ.
    I would have thought Roger ****ing Johnson would have won the bleep test...
    No he BROKE the Bleep test
  • Options
    Nobody can beat my mate RR at the Beep Beep test!
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Should have been booked for deliberate handball.
  • Options

Dizzle said:

Should have been booked for deliberate handball.
    And sacked for gross dereliction of duty - his task was to win football matches not give a shit for crocked opponents. If he was really concerned for the poor lad he'd have rushed over and started first aid, not made himself the centre of attention. Egomaniacal show pony. But absolutely my favourite egomaniacal show pony to play for Charlton. The atmosphere in the 5000+ crowd that showed up at The Valley on the rumour he was making his debut for the reserves, was tremendous. PDC is a complete one-off and from a footballing perspective we're fortunate indeed to have seen him up close.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

It's already going wrong for him.

Feck! was that him? He sold me a lighter outside the Hamilton Halls off of Broadgate on Tuesday!
  • Options

Uboat said:

Feck! was that him? He sold me a lighter outside the Hamilton Halls off of Broadgate on Tuesday!
    Going to be PC here and say we should not be mocking the homeless. Bad Taste
    It's mocking Tony Watt not the homeless gent who happens to look a little like him.
  • Options

Uboat said:

I don't think you should be calling Tony Watt homeless
  • Options
    milo said:

If Tony Watt had half the skill of Paolo and a quarter of the desire to play football at his very best and never say die, I'd take it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A message to Tony.....you've got the skill & ability...get your head right & show us what a great player we all know you can be
  • Options
    1967CAFC said:

A message to Tony.....you've got the skill & ability...get your head right & show us what a great player we all know you can be

Totally.

It's been said he's of social media now, but if anyone else who speaks to Tony sees this, please do pass on our welcome back and our support.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

According to KR, when he told TW he would not be making many changes after scoring 4 against Bristol R, TW replied if he'd been playing it would have been 6
    Top man Tony. Come back and show us your skills!!!

We've only been waiting 2 years
  • Options
    Better late than never
  • Options

Uboat said:

not surprised what with all that sleeping outside
  • Options

I don't understand why people aren't warming to KR more. Gobby shite is one among many insults I have seen bandied about here.

I like him - I like his style of interview and I think he brings a freshness. He is the archetypal person who opposition fans hate and home fans love (think Savage, Bellamy etc).

Happy to have him on board personally.

I hate that gobby comment. Contemptible. He deserves way more respect than that.