Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Gloucs 275-8 off 50

Might have been worse but we will have to bat well nevertheless.

6 bowlers used and all of them had an economy rate between 5.20 and 5.75

Pick of them Coles 10-1-57-4 but special mention to Denly who went for 52 off 10 overs - exactly the same as Tredwell except Denly got a wicket.
  • Could have been a lot worse.
    They didn't kick on as I feared.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39857312

Surprised Billings isn't playing, seeing that he's avilable

I think perhaps the Kent management are sending a message to both Billings and Rouse - Billings leaves again on Monday and whilst he is a better batsman than Rouse, is it worth disrupting the team unit for a player who won't be available in the foreseeable future?
    Incidentally how do player contracts work with things like the IPL, as they're outside the ECB, central contracts etc?

Do they take unpaid leave, are clubs like Kent compensated by the IPL clubs for their missing players?
    Here's the answer (well sort of anyway):

The terms and conditions of central contracts, which were renegotiated by the Professional Cricketers’ Association last August, introduced separate deals for Test and white-ball players. Those on Test contracts, such as Stokes and Joe Root, will lose 0.5 percent of their England salary, thought to be about £700,000, every day they are on IPL duty.
    Those on the lower white-ball contracts will be docked 1 percent of the value of their one day central contract which matches their county deal, going down to 0.7 per cent per day after 21 days. Those contracts will be lower, meaning England’s bigger stars on the higher Test contracts will be deducted more money to play in India.
    The deduction is to fund payments from the ECB to compensate the counties for the fact their player is unavailable at a time when he could be playing domestic cricket. The money will be split among the counties and paid as top-up grants for their academies.

Glad you asked now aren't you MOL!
    Thanks (I think!)

Billings isn't on a central contract though? I hope his Kent contract takes this into account when he's away at the IPL...
  • Romping home at the moment 200 - 2 . 12 overs remaining
  • Romping home at the moment 200 - 2 . 12 overs remaining

Whereupon a wicket immediately fell (DBD for 90)!
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39857312

Surprised Billings isn't playing, seeing that he's avilable

I think perhaps the Kent management are sending a message to both Billings and Rouse - Billings leaves again on Monday and whilst he is a better batsman than Rouse, is it worth disrupting the team unit for a player who won't be available in the foreseeable future?
    Incidentally how do player contracts work with things like the IPL, as they're outside the ECB, central contracts etc?

Do they take unpaid leave, are clubs like Kent compensated by the IPL clubs for their missing players?
    Here's the answer (well sort of anyway):

The terms and conditions of central contracts, which were renegotiated by the Professional Cricketers’ Association last August, introduced separate deals for Test and white-ball players. Those on Test contracts, such as Stokes and Joe Root, will lose 0.5 percent of their England salary, thought to be about £700,000, every day they are on IPL duty.
    Those on the lower white-ball contracts will be docked 1 percent of the value of their one day central contract which matches their county deal, going down to 0.7 per cent per day after 21 days. Those contracts will be lower, meaning England’s bigger stars on the higher Test contracts will be deducted more money to play in India.
    The deduction is to fund payments from the ECB to compensate the counties for the fact their player is unavailable at a time when he could be playing domestic cricket. The money will be split among the counties and paid as top-up grants for their academies.

Glad you asked now aren't you MOL!
    Thanks (I think!)

Billings isn't on a central contract though? I hope his Kent contract takes this into account when he's away at the IPL...
    I would be surprised if it's not fairly standard these days. However, I am pretty sure I saw Billings will not be going back to IPL this year as his team cannot now qualify for the next stages.
  • DBD out for 90. 73 required off 10 overs with 7 wickets in hand. Not sure but must have been very close to their score at this stage of the innings.
  • 231/5 of 44.2 all getting a bit more tense
  • 231/5 of 44.2 all getting a bit more tense

Make that 234/6 - 42 required off 30 balls.

Can see us stuffing this up ...
  • Was hoping Blake would see us home. They've buggered up this one quite nicely!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Chris Liddle has 5-31 so far...
  • edited May 2017
    246-7

30 needed from 3 overs

Rouse and Harris in
  • 22 off 2 overs now
  • 16 off 6 balls ...
  • 15 needed off 4 balls Rouse on strike Tredders now in
  • Disappointing

I know Rouse has been great for us but imagine Billings at No 7 today instead of him?
  • Gloucestershire won by 12 runs
  • Kent collapsed just as I start to follow it.
  • Disappointing

I know Rouse has been great for us but imagine Billings at No 7 today instead of him?

I think the question is "does Billings want to be with us?". IPL and England duty, busy travelling and playing around the world. Does he need to try and fit in the odd game with us and risk injury?

• Surely you can fit them both in? Billings can play as a batsman of you don't want to upset the team and Rouse is going well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely you can fit them both in? Billings can play as a batsman of you don't want to upset the team and Rouse is going well?

The only batsman out of form is Denly and he's our 6th bowler so it would mean us going in with just five bowlers, two wicket keepers, Sam Northeast, DBD, Dickson and Blake.

The only batsman out of form is Denly and he's our 6th bowler so it would mean us going in with just five bowlers, two wicket keepers, Sam Northeast, DBD, Dickson and Blake.
    Fair enough. Tough one... we will take him. Could do with another keeper batsman!
  • Joe Denly's place might be under pressure - in the last 5 weeks he has managed just 121 runs in 9 innings.

It all depends on the nature of the wicket and whether we think we need the second spinner as the 6th bowler. Otherwise, Will Gidman is currently out of the side and Adam Ball has scored hundreds in his last two 2nd X1 games.
  • Billings back for Surrey
  • Billings back for Surrey

Game that is. Not available for Surrey - yet anyway.
  • Joe Denly's place might be under pressure - in the last 5 weeks he has managed just 121 runs in 9 innings.

It all depends on the nature of the wicket and whether we think we need the second spinner as the 6th bowler. Otherwise, Will Gidman is currently out of the side and Adam Ball has scored hundreds in his last two 2nd X1 games.

That's Ball's level
  • wmcf123 said:

Joe Denly's place might be under pressure - in the last 5 weeks he has managed just 121 runs in 9 innings.

That's Ball's level
    Ball was prolific with the bat as a youngster up to and including getting into the Bexley first X1 in the Kent Premier League as a 15 year old. He was England U19 captain too.

I think Kent had a vision of him ultimately replacing Darren Stevens so tried to encourage his bowling. I also believe that the change of emphasis didn't do him much good and only served to undermine his batting - coming in down the order with very few overs left and constantly getting out doing so probably didn't do his confidence much good.

Now I am not saying that Ball will make it but, at some point, Kent have either got to give him a run in the top 5 or release him. Most, including myself, were surprised when a couple of seasons ago Blake was given another contract - he'd done very little previously but one or two vital innings that season proved the making of him.
  • wmcf123 said:

Joe Denly's place might be under pressure - in the last 5 weeks he has managed just 121 runs in 9 innings.

That's Ball's level
    Ball was prolific with the bat as a youngster up to and including getting into the Bexley first X1 in the Kent Premier League as a 15 year old. He was England U19 captain too.

I think Kent had a vision of him ultimately replacing Darren Stevens so tried to encourage his bowling. I also believe that the change of emphasis didn't do him much good and only served to undermine his batting - coming in down the order with very few overs left and constantly getting out doing so probably didn't do his confidence much good.

Now I am not saying that Ball will make it but, at some point, Kent have either got to give him a run in the top 5 or release him. Most, including myself, were surprised when a couple of seasons ago Blake was given another contract - he'd done very little previously but one or two vital innings that season proved the making of him.
    I agree. I'd get rid
  • edited May 2017

The lightest of drizzle at The Oval and the covers are on. #OldestRivalry pic.twitter.com/SyFr6GVtAE

— Kent Cricket