Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Open 2017

Comments

• Options

It's a long season and lots can happen, changes of form, injury etc., but with Djokovic out of sorts, Murray seemingly in the form of his life, and the next generation still to really start coming to the fore, there is a definite opportunity for him to do something really special this year.

It'd be nice wouldn't it.
    Where Scot Brit's are concerned though I think I've learned over the years not to get ahead of myself.
    He wasn't able to take the opportunity after Novak's exit at the US Open last year.
    I do think Djok is his nemesis though, so we go forward with increased hope.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Far too early for talk about Murray doing a slam this year. He might not even win his next match!

Currently cruising past Sam Querrey, 6-4-6-2 and a break up in the third
  • Options
    Querrey breaks back, not so comfortable now
  • Options

johnny73 said:

Far too early for talk about Murray doing a slam this year. He might not even win his next match!

Currently cruising past Sam Querrey, 6-4-6-2 and a break up in the third
    That wasn't the point I was making. Glad Murray won.
  • Options

It's a long season and lots can happen, changes of form, injury etc., but with Djokovic out of sorts, Murray seemingly in the form of his life, and the next generation still to really start coming to the fore, there is a definite opportunity for him to do something really special this year.

Where Scot Brit's are concerned though I think I've learned over the years not to get ahead of myself.
    He wasn't able to take the opportunity after Novak's exit at the US Open last year.
    Djokovic reached the final of the US Open - Wimbledon was the early exit and Murray did tdke advantage.

Still a long way to go though, I agree - Stan Wawrinka is virtually unplayable at his absolute best for a start.
  • Options

Djokovic reached the final of the US Open
    Of course you are right, my memory is pathetic these days
  • Options
    Evans takes opening set
  • Options

Djokovic reached the final of the US Open
    Of course you are right, my memory is pathetic these days
    He did have the flukiest run ever there though!
  • Options

Evans takes opening set

Leads by a break in the second as well now
  • Options
    Evans wins in 3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Incredible! Past Cilic and Tomic and into the fourth round. Absolutely bloody wonderful!
  • Options
    Tsonga next up. Well played Dan
  • Options

Incredible! Past Cilic and Tomic and into the fourth round. Absolutely bloody wonderful!

Those are two serious players he's just beaten, dropping only 1 set in the process!
  • Options
    And this is the guy with no kit deal, who bought a load of cheap T shirts to play in here!
  • Options

And this is the guy with no kit deal, who bought a load of cheap T shirts to play in here!

He'll be able to give those to a charity shop now.
  • Options
    Federer looking better than ever. Absolutely unbelievable performance.
  • Options
    Can't write off Federer.
  • Options

Can't write off Federer.

Maybe not write-off, but Feds has been doing this for a while now, even before his injury break, i.e. looking fantastic in some of the early rounds but coming unstuck in qtrs and semis when he comes up against one of the other big boys.

The raw talent is very much still there with him, but I think the physical rigours of going all the in the Slams means he's just a bit tired come the final rounds and the best players will be able to take advantage of that, assuming there are any left given the rate they are getting knocked out at the moment.
  • Options
    Federer has Nishikori next...then potentially Andy.

That's too good a match for a QF!
  • Options
    I do not understand why the BBC are not covering this event on radio other than a few high profile matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Next week I think for bbc coverage
  • Options

I do not understand why the BBC are not covering this event on radio other than a few high profile matches.

Actually they are - I didn't look properly...Radio 5 live
  • Options
    What, on their sports channel.....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What, on their sports channel.....

I know! Couldn't make it up. Beyond parody.
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Zverev wins first set against Murray.
  • Options
    Andy making it hard for himself again. 2 double faults in 1 game.
  • Options
    Looks like this might be the match where he takes the long way around. 3-0 up in the second but made hard work of that last service game.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Looks like this might be the match where he takes the long way around. 3-0 up in the second but made hard work of that last service game.

You may well be right. He's really struggling with this serve and volley game.

Alternatively he has been known to just go and doughnut after losing a set.
  • Options
    We've seen this before from Murray though. One of the things that makes him a top player is his ability to figure out a different way of playing an opponent mid match and getting the job done even though he seemed to be struggling at the start.

A lot of sloppy double faults from him though.
  • Options
    As I say that he's broken and it's back on serve. He does look a touch out of sorts right now.