Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Open 2017

Comments

• Options
    & the women's draw below:

Going to be tough for Konta but she's been playing great tennis the last year or so. She has a chance.
  • Options
    If it can't be Andy, I'd love to see Feds win another Slam.
  • Options
    Venus reaching the semis (at 36) is pretty amazing too, amazingly her best result since 2003, when she reached the final!

Raonic must fancy his chances of winning here, he reached the semis last year
  • Options
    Would love to see Federer win, but think Stan Wawrinka may well win it.

If so he'll have more Grand Slams than Murray, which would be very impressive.
  • Options
    1 in 4 chance of Federer v Nadal now!

Not bothered if Nadal goes through to be honest but I'm really hoping Federer can win.
  • Options
    Federer v Wawrinka

Nadal v Dimitrov

I'm getting excited just thinking about another Roger Rafa final, I thought those days were long gone. Biggest danger to that is if Wawrinka plays one of his unstoppable matches where he hits multiple winners per game.

• Options

Federer v Wawrinka

Nadal v Dimitrov

I'm getting excited just thinking about another Roger Rafa final, I thought those days were long gone. Biggest danger to that is if Wawrinka plays one of his unstoppable matches where he hits multiple winners per game.

Roger Rafa would be amazing. I imagine Andy would prefer that than Stan overtaking his number of Grand Slams!
  • Options
    If Stan wins he has more slams than our greatest ever sportsman yet Stan is probably not even considered a great in his own sport.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If Stan wins he has more slams than our greatest ever sportsman yet Stan is probably not even considered a great in his own sport.

Stan still only has 17 titles whilst Murray has 46 titles though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Wawrinka_career_statistics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray_career_statistics
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Back to back Olympic golds weigh heavily in his favour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

He only needs Wimbledon to complete a career Grand Slam! Which would be incredible for someone who's won relatively few tournaments, and never been higher than 3 in the world rankings
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

He only needs Wimbledon to complete a career Grand Slam! Which would be incredible for someone who's won relatively few tournaments, and never been higher than 3 in the world rankings
    Wawrinka is a weird one. He's a good player, but not a special one. Nine times of out of 10, Murray is the better player, but Wawrinka just seems to be very consistent, at least he has been in the last 3 or 4 years, and that means he's always been ready to capitalise when one of the big guns drops off their level. He's been in relatively few major finals, way less than Murray for example, but his conversion rate is exceptional. I guess he just has that big game mentality.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Wawrinka is a weird one. He's a good player, but not a special one. Nine times of out of 10, Murray is the better player, but Wawrinka just seems to be very consistent, at least he has been in the last 3 or 4 years, and that means he's always been ready to capitalise when one of the big guns drops off their level. He's been in relatively few major finals, way less than Murray for example, but his conversion rate is exceptional. I guess he just has that big game mentality.
    Agreed, 1 Grand Slam a season for the last 3 years, at 3 different events. 3 finals, 3 wins...

His poor performance at Wimbledon makes him slightly overlooked in Britain, he's never been past the QF
  • Options
    Venus vs Serena in the final. After Venus's health issues, an amazing achievement.

Talking of golden oldies, Roger vs Stan next. I like Roger's shirt!

• Options
    First set Federer.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Fed in total control, Stan goes for treatment in tears 2 sets down and now Fed's mind has wandered off somewhere.
    Stan wins 3rd set 6-1 and breaks Fed in opening game of the 4th set, Fed just broken back 1-1 in 4th set
  • Options
    2-2 and now Federer is off for treatment.

I'd tip Wawrinka now.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    5-3 to Rog in the 5th can he do it on his serve?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yes!! Go Federer!! Really hope he wins in the final.
  • Options

2-2 and now Federer is off for treatment.

I'd tip Wawrinka now.

Glad I was wrong!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phew. The Williams sisters and Roger, we just need Rafa to make it to rewind the clock 5/10 years!
  • Options

Phew. The Williams sisters and Roger, we just need Rafa to make it to rewind the clock 5/10 years!

If we want to follow the current political trend for turning the clock back to the 80s, it should really be a Wilander vs Edberg final.
  • Options
    Epic semi final between Nadal and Dimitrov goes to a deciding set.

Dimitrov takes the 4th set in a tie break and they've played almost 4 hours so far.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Great bruising 5th set, Nadal is a such a fighter
  • Options
    Nadal breaks for 5-4 and serves for the match
  • Options
    Nadal wins in 4 hours 56 and plays Federer
  • Options
    What a fantastic match, Dimitrov probably never played so well in his life and Nadal having to dig so deep, very little between them
  • Options
    Will be a brilliant spectacle on Sunday.
  • Options
    Yes!!!