Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Page and Jason Pearce at Bromley Addicks - 2 Feb 2017

Comments

• Options

LP said he was surprised that training at Charlton similar to West Ham ie very high tempo and tactical "100%" rather than at Coventry were more laid back and very much focusing on free kicks and corners. "Maybe that was the problem" (at Coventry).

Was that partly under Slade as well at Coventry or had Lewis gone back to West Ham before Russell joined?

JP is doing his B licence and is coaching the U16 as it Jackson. Jacko not coaching the first team. JJ wants to go into coaching and JP thinks he'd like to do that at Charlton as been here a long time.

Good to see we're doing this at Charlton as it must really help the youngsters coming through being coached by current players... I think Lampard said when he retired that he wanted to do his coaching badges now (like other top ex-players) yet with the likes of Solly | Harriott | Jackson doing it well before they retire, it makes you wonder what the hell they're doing waiting so long

I think LP was talking pre-Slade
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the write up
  • Options
    Thanks

Interesting how the coaching duties are split, good to see that Simon Clark still has an important role.
  • Options
    What does Barker do?
  • Options
    Can't remember what they said about Barker
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Thanks

Interesting how the coaching duties are split, good to see that Simon Clark still has an important role.

Also quite funny that Roland's latest plant is told to just put out the cones.
  • Options

"If I smash someone in a tackle it's like a goal to me"

That's a cracking quote !

And he meant it.

Would love to see him go up against Morrison as both would give it out.
  • Options

And he meant it.

Would be a great Centre-Back pairing thats for sure!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the write up. Very informative.
  • Options

And he meant it.

Would be a great Centre-Back pairing thats for sure!!
    I wouldn't play Steve Morrison at Centre half
    Oh I thought Michael Morrison was the one being mentioned
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dickplumb said:

What does Barker do?

Not entirely sure, but Robinson makes the decisions and plans the tactics and the other coaches implement his plans.

The coaches may of course hatch the plans in discussions that the players are not party to.
  • Options

Thanks for the 40 people who turned up who all seemed to enjoy it.

Your crowds are dwindling as much as Charlton's
  • Options

dickplumb said:

What does Barker do?

Not entirely sure, but Robinson makes the decisions and plans the tactics and the other coaches implement his plans.

The coaches may of course hatch the plans in discussions that the players are not party to.
    As i remember it "someone" asked what does O'Loughlin do in training rather than "what do the different coaches do?" so JP answered specifically about Cuckoo Chris.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just remembered.

@soapboxsam asked both players how many of their contemporaries from U16 are still playing pro football.

Lewis said just two. Him and James Hallon?? who's on loan at Bradford from West Ham. And he's only 20. A few are in the states doing degrees and playing college football for the "crack"

Pearce said he's the only one left from his group at Portsmouth still in the pro game.

Which does put into perspective what the churn rate is at clubs. As @killerjerrylee said you'd expect rejects from West Ham to be playing in the football league but other than those two they aren't.

So much for the academy of football.
  • Options
    Another great night for Bromley Addicks. Two really good guests with some intersting stories .
  • Options

Just remembered.

@soapboxsam asked both players how many of their contemporaries from U16 are still playing pro football.

Lewis said just two. Him and James Hallon?? who's on loan at Bradford from West Ham. And he's only 20. A few are in the states doing degrees and playing college football for the "crack"

Pearce said he's the only one left from his group at Portsmouth still in the pro game.

Which does put into perspective what the churn rate is at clubs. As @killerjerrylee said you'd expect rejects from West Ham to be playing in the football league but other than those two they aren't.

He must mean James Cullen, quality player.
  • Options

An easier to see version.

Lewis in his ICF rucking jacket : - )

He lives in Bishops Stortford near Bishops Park @tricky
  • Options

Just remembered.

I'm sure he used the right name, I just couldn't remember it. Close enough ; - )
  • Options

"In his comeback match from injury, centre back Jason Pierce was sent off in the 62nd minute for smashing someone in a tackle, and celebrating it as if he had scored a goal"
    "It reduced Charlton to nine men, after Lewis Page had been sent off shortly after kick-off."
    Substitute Roger Johnson then followed him down the tunnel after telling a section of the

Just remembered.

Think you mean Josh Cullen - We'll eventually get his name right ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Cullen
    Page will get a chance to get sent off meet up with Josh in a few weeks
  • Options
    Sage said:

Just remembered.

Goes the show the % of academy players who actually do make it in the game is extremely low.

Also these are types of statistics if it were able to collect more data to show young players to stay at clubs such as ours, as I am sure the % of players who are in our academy that make it professional will be higher than the average.

In recent years alone, we have had Cousins, Aribo, Lookman, Konsa, Poyet, Phillips, Gomez, Shelvey, Jenkinson, Harriott, Holmes-Dennis, and I am sure a few others, who have managed to play regularly in first team football. Whereas, other young players have either gone on loan and not quite made the grade here, or have gone to other academies and going a different route to make it, Ajayi and Palmer for example.

That's not masses, but that's a very decent percentage of players from a similar age group to seem like they're going to make it in the game.

Plus, thank you for the write up, it seemed like a very enjoyable and interesting evening.
    That's how I saw it too. Compared to others we have more players making it in the league, albeit at a lower level sometime but many in the Premiership too
  • Options
    Another pic from @wwtone of LP and JP along with our new midfielder