Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can We Make The Playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    While it's obviously still possible, it still requires us to go on a winning run of 3or 4 consecutive wins, which we've failed to do all season.
  • Options
    With Magennis, Holmes and Watt in the side you'd hope we could start scoring some goals and go on a run of winning games.
  • Options

With Magennis, Holmes and Watt in the side you'd hope we could start scoring some goals and go on a run of winning games.

All three will chip in but it doesn't make up for the presence of a 20 goal a season striker.

• Options

I think it's gone now. Those two late goals have done for us.

16 games to play. Far too early to throw in the towel.
    Although we'd do ourselves a big favour by killing off games.

Many twists and turns to come.

• Options
    What site do people go on to find out what the league table was this time last year?
    I thought it was soccerbase but cant seem to find it on there.
  • Options

What site do people go on to find out what the league table was this time last year?
    I thought it was soccerbase but cant seem to find it on there.

statto.com
  • Options
    Definitely, mathematically possible. Doesn't really matter as it's almost inevitable that Millwall will also make it and we all know what comes next ...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    cafc-west said:

Definitely, mathematically possible. Doesn't really matter as it's almost inevitable that Millwall will also make it and we all know what comes next ...

We creep into 6th and then Millwall give us back-to-back pastings, job done.

3-0 in the first leg just so we have to sit through a second match.
  • Options
    Milwall and us both won't make it. Only really one play off place up for grabs....
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Milwall and us both won't make it. Only really one play off place up for grabs....

Bradford have 3 wins in 10, they're are definitely there to be caught IF a team below them can put together a good run.

They have a similar record to us with far too many draws, with several of them 1-1 as well!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

supaclive said:

Bradford have 3 wins in 10, they're are definitely there to be caught IF a team below them can put together a good run.

They have a similar record to us with far too many draws, with several of them 1-1 as well!

so do we.
  • Options
    WE won't catch Bradford. So there definitely is only one play off place up for grabs....
  • Options

All three will chip in but it doesn't make up for the presence of a 20 goal a season striker.

We had one, and he didn't really work out.

I don't know of a player who can lead the line on his own and get 20 goals who would be willing to drop to this level. I honestly think we have the best candidate in Magennis. I also don't necessarily think we need 20 goals from a center forward. I think Holmes can hit 10+ this season, hopefully JFC can chip in with 5, Byrne to get a handful, ideally a few from Aribo, plus our center backs can score goals. And all of that doesn't include Watt, who, if he hits form, could get 10 before the season is up.

I know that we're not the most prolific, but I don't think a center forward who scores goals is necessarily the answer to that. I think that, as we see with Ajose, at this level to get a proven goalscorer you have to make trade-offs, namely inefficiency from open play. I think Robinson wants to play with a fluid system and that will mean a lot of players who will need to have more composure in front of goal.
  • Options
    For us to play Millwall in the playoffs They will need to finish 4th and us 5th or they finish 3rd and we finish 6th, both highly improbable.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

For us to play Millwall in the playoffs They will need to finish 4th and us 5th or they finish 3rd and we finish 6th, both highly improbable.

Or we both get to the final?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Dansk_Red said:

Or we both get to the final?
    What's the odds on that?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So the entirety of the table has played between 29 and 31 games now. Rochdale are 6th with 47 points after 29.

Last 10 seasons:
    Season: points for 6th after 46 games (points for 6th at mid-Feb, 29-31 games played)

2015/16: 74 points (50 from 30)
    2014/15: 69 points (43 from 30)
    2013/14: 74 points (49 from 30)
    2012/13: 74 points (54 from 31)
    2011/12: 73 points (48 from 29)
    2010/11: 71 points (45 from 29)
    2009/10: 80 points (52 from 30)
    2008/09: 76 points (52 from 29)
    2007/08: 76 points (46 from 30)
    2006/07: 75 points (47 from 30)

The last six seasons, 75 points would've been enough in every season to finish in at least 6th place. The four seasons prior, it wouldn't have been enough.

The one thing is the amount of points that the team in 6th place have after 30 or so games doesn't appear to correlate to the amount of points 6th place has after 46 games. That would suggest that we forget about what other teams are doing (yes - even Millwall) and focus on our own results.

We should aim for a further 34 points from our remaining 16 games. It doesn't guarantee the playoffs but it would've got us in in all of the last six seasons.

34 points is

11 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses
    10 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses
    9 wins, 7 draws

• Options
    we can, but we wont.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

WE won't catch Bradford. So there definitely is only one play off place up for grabs....

Millwall are 4 points behind Bradford with a game in hand, and 5 points behind Fleetwood with a game in hand.

All I'm saying, is that if we can catch Millwall, there's no reason why we couldn't also catch one of the other teams currently in the playoffs, and currently Bradford have the worst form of the top 6.
  • Options
    Can we? Yes.
    Will we? No.
    I believe in what KR is doing though. Needs a full pre season and season at it though. Will he get it? Probably not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutted really.
    Been saying all season make top 6 easy,
    Think will end up losing no more than 10 this season but can't see us winning many.
    Bradford Fleetwood are within reach but just c ant see us going on 4 wins out of 6 run.
    Been too many f@cking draws.
    Worked out why I had the hump Saturday my last 6 games 6 draws.
    7 away games this season yet to see us lose, 6 f@cking draws though.
    If we draw Saturday will give the rest of the season a miss.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Gutted really.
    Think will end up losing no more than 10 this season but can't see us winning many.
    Bradford Fleetwood are within reach but just c ant see us going on 4 wins out of 6 run.

I'll take your season ticket for the midweek games mate.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Gutted really.

I'll take your season ticket for the midweek games mate.
    #$#@#$$$##÷=er
  • Options
    Fleetwood and Wimbledon were both must win games and we came up short.
    We need to go on a winning streak of 3 or 4 games to catch up.
    Can we yes
    Will we no
    Another frustrating season I'm afraid mainly because Roland would not give sufficient funds to Robinson following the sale of lookman.
    And so the nightmare continues until he sells up and f###d off
  • Options

Fleetwood and Wimbledon were both must win games and we came up short.
    We need to go on a winning streak of 3 or 4 games to catch up.
    Can we yes
    Will we no
    Another frustrating season I'm afraid mainly because Roland would not give sufficient funds to Robinson following the sale of lookman.
    And so the nightmare continues until he sells up and f###d off

The only streak we'll see is you re-enacting your antics of the 70's at Chesterfield on the 22/4!
  • Options

So the entirety of the table has played between 29 and 31 games now. Rochdale are 6th with 47 points after 29.

34 points is

9 wins, 7 draws

If we do it it'll be option 3. 21 draws and making the playoffs would be something.
  • Options

We should aim for a further 34 points from our remaining 16 games. It doesn't guarantee the playoffs but it would've got us in in all of the last six seasons.

34 points is

9 wins, 7 draws

34 points from 15 games is

11 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses
    10 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss
  • Options
    Ain't gonna happen, mid table is where you all need to be focusing.
  • Options
    That's the season finished then.
  • Options
    Hopefully we're safe from relegation.....