Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can We Make The Playoffs?

Comments

• Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

Just need all the protests to stop and everyone to get behind Slade.

11 lols? Do people actually still find Henry's repetitve 'get behind Slade' stuff funny, I just find it boring and repetitive. Generally don't mean to be harsh, just don't get how it is funny in any way, shape or form.
    I've had to live with over a decade of cardigan "jokes" but I cope with it.

It's a joke, some people find it funny, you don't. No big deal.
    fair enough, guess my sense of humour isn't just posting the same thing over and over again. Each to their own, you are quite right.
    Think of all the great comedians. They had catch phrases. Not that I'm a great comedian by a long chalk but it's the repatit
    cafcfan said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

11 lols? Do people actually still find Henry's repetitve 'get behind Slade' stuff funny, I just find it boring and repetitive. Generally don't mean to be harsh, just don't get how it is funny in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, but you have got more cardigans than Darren Bent has trainers.
    See, no one is giving you a lol for that.: - )

And I don't own any cardigans.

For the record I don't mind the cardigan jokes, what does make me laugh is when people on other sites use it as a terrible insult when it's just a joke.
    It was never meant to be anything more than harmless banter and never realised other sites used it as an insult. My recollection was that it was about a photo and the item in question was not actually a cardigan, but I never let the facts of attire get in the way of harmless fun
  • Options

very hard to predict now, our next 6 are

Fleetwood
    AFC W
    Oldham
    Oxford
    Rochdale
    Bury

12 points out of them then were well on the road anything less, will be a mid table and august we go again.

Oxford's off. Five of the next seven games are currently away, although I don't disagree we should be getting 12-15 points from the next six.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

fair enough, guess my sense of humour isn't just posting the same thing over and over again. Each to their own, you are quite right.
    Think of all the great comedians. They had catch phrases. Not that I'm a great comedian by a long chalk but it's the repatit
    cafcfan said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

For the record I don't mind the cardigan jokes, what does make me laugh is when people on other sites use it as a terrible insult when it's just a joke.
    It was never meant to be anything more than harmless banter and never realised other sites used it as an insult. My recollection was that it was about a photo and the item in question was not actually a cardigan, but I never let the facts of attire get in the way of harmless fun
    That's how I see it @Kap10 a bit of friendly leg pulling.

And it was a zip up jumper.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

cafcfan said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

i.e. a cardigan

:smiley:
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

cafcfan said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

Was it a full length zip?
    Because if it was, then technically we're talking serious cardigan here.

If the zip only extended to just above nipple level, then you're in the clear, as that's what the well dressed man is wearing this year. And any year.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Kap10 said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

cafcfan said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

Was it a full length zip?
    Because if it was, then technically we're talking serious cardigan here.

If the zip only extended to just above nipple level, then you're in the clear, as that's what the well dressed man is wearing this year. And any year.

I deny any insinuation that I was staring at @Henry Irving 's nipples!!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

Last season after playing 27 matches, Barnsley with 36 points were in 13th place - finishing 6th and winning promotion.
    All things are possible.

Remember all the teams above us all have to play each other - and they can't all get maximum points.
    At various points, they'll all be affected by injuries and loss of form. Charlton too, no doubt.

But it's still in our own hands.

We've got a game or 2 in hand over most teams and we need to get those points in the bag.
    Fleetwood have risen from midtable on the back of 6 wins in a row - we must beat them on Saturday and put a string of wins together.

Promotion form consistancy needed to even stand a chance of making the playoffs.
    It's a big ask - but one game at a time and all that.

It is NOT in our own hands.
    It's true that we would have to perform better than we have done at any stage of the season so far. In particular, we would need to score more goals (who is going to get those?) to have the slighest chance.
    We would, even then, require a minimum of five teams out of six (those currently occupying places five down to ten) to screw up, some badly some marginally.. Very unlikely if not impossible but not in our hands.
    Of course it's still in our own hands.
    Just like it was in Barnsley's last season - after 27 games, 36 points, 13th place.

We're 6 points behind. We're going to play many of the teams above us - but we need to beat them, like we did Bolton last weekend.
    If we do, the gap narrows. If we don't, then it all unravels and we miss out.

All the teams above us have to play each other. No team is going to pick up anywhere near maximum points and some teams will fall away.

It would take a terrific run on our part, but that's why Fleetwood (6 successive wins) and Rochdale (5 successive wins) have come from mid-table to the playoff places.
    We play both of those teams within our next 3 fixtures.

Let's see where we are at the beginning of March.
    But for now, it's in our hands still.

This is the correct answer. It's possible, Barnsley did it last season. However, it will take a monumental effort.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

Last season after playing 27 matches, Barnsley with 36 points were in 13th place - finishing 6th and winning promotion.
    All things are possible.

Remember all the teams above us all have to play each other - and they can't all get maximum points.
    At various points, they'll all be affected by injuries and loss of form. Charlton too, no doubt.

We've got a game or 2 in hand over most teams and we need to get those points in the bag.
    Fleetwood have risen from midtable on the back of 6 wins in a row - we must beat them on Saturday and put a string of wins together.

Promotion form consistancy needed to even stand a chance of making the playoffs.

It's true that we would have to perform better than we have done at any stage of the season so far. In particular, we would need to score more goals (who is going to get those?) to have the slighest chance.
    We would, even then, require a minimum of five teams out of six (those currently occupying places five down to ten) to screw up, some badly some marginally.. Very unlikely if not impossible but not in our hands.
    Just like it was in Barnsley's last season - after 27 games, 36 points, 13th place.

We're 6 points behind. We're going to play many of the teams above us - but we need to beat them, like we did Bolton last weekend.

All the teams above us have to play each other. No team is going to pick up anywhere near maximum points and some teams will fall away.

It would take a terrific run on our part, but that's why Fleetwood (6 successive wins) and Rochdale (5 successive wins) have come from mid-table to the playoff places.

This is the correct answer. It's possible, Barnsley did it last season. However, it will take a monumental effort.
    Barnsley won seven consecutive games and were already five games into that sequence after match 27, albeit coming from a lower starting point. I think Charlton would need to put together a similar sequence (not necessarily seven wins) sooner rather than later.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

All things are possible.

Barnsley won seven consecutive games and were already five games into that sequence after match 27, albeit coming from a lower starting point. I think Charlton would need to put together a similar sequence (not necessarily seven wins) sooner rather than later.
    I know Charlton would need to put in a similar sequence. But this division is so poor it's possible, although unlikely.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

All things are possible.

I know Charlton would need to put in a similar sequence. But this division is so poor it's possible, although unlikely.
    Agreed, this is a weak division so, unlikely as it is, it's not impossible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will know Saturday at 5pm.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Rob7Lee said:

If we need roughly a points tally of 75 and we are 36 points short with 19 games to go (think that's right) then to push into the play off's needs roughly 2 points a game which is automatic promotion form.

Chances of that are almost zero in my view. It relies on being better than 6 or 7 teams above us or around us, looking at the fixtures my predictions are with points;

Fleetwood 3
    AFC W 1
    Oldham 3
    Oxford 0
    Rochdale 0
    Bury 1
    Shrewsbury 1
    Northampton 3
    Scunthorpe 0
    Wallsall 1
    Bradford 1
    Sheff U 0
    MKD 1
    Peterborough 0
    Southend 3
    Coventry 3
    Gillingham 1
    Chesterfield 3
    Swindon 1

26 points plus 39 = 65 - 10+ short of the play off's, maybe 9th or 10th.

Of course mathematically it's possible, but then for ages last season it was mathematically possible not to get relegated but we never believed it from about Feb onwards.

More of a worry for me is the summer, if we carry on the same path with signings, managers etc then next season is likely to be a relegation battle.

Before Saturday's win at Bolton, we had no league wins this season against the current top 7. We have to play 5 of them before the end of the season, so it would take promotion winning form to grab that 5th or 6th spot. If we did get to the play offs, then we would have to be strongly fancied to winning it.

Who's to say the top 7 are all as good as they were going into the January window?

Bradford lost Hanson to Sheff Utd and he was everything to them.
    Bristol Rovers lost Matty Taylor to Bristol City, expect them to plummet down the table now.

There might be more examples but even though we've lost Lookman I think the loss of Hanson and Taylor will hurt Bradford and Bristol Rovers more and both will miss out on the play offs now.
  • Options
    I think the number of points required to reach the playoffs will be quite low this season, as there are a lot of very evenly matched teams who will take points off each other.

Our squad depth isn't perfect, but I bet the same can be said for the teams around us.

Fleetwood is a hard game but winnable, AFC is another winnable game - we were very unlucky to lose at home against them, Rochdale away will be tough, but then they've lost their last 2, while Oldham and Bury (on paper) should be the easiest games.
  • Options
    Yes we can definitely get into the play-offs. I would love a day out at wembley even if we did not win
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    FFS.

Who in this division would not have these players as one of the first on their teamsheet:-

Rudd. Rated by Norwich fans their best keeper. Played in Prem.
    Solly. Knees but 1st pick for Olympic XI. Best RB in L1
    Bauer. Struggled due to new partner every week but few better in L1
    Tex. Ditto. Could be Prem player.
    Holmes. Few better rated wingers in L1
    Konsa. Multi-talented, courted by Prem sides
    JFC. England age-group international. Sought after.
    Botaka. Unavailable due to ACoN commitments but pacy.
    Magennis. International striker under-rated until joining us
    Watt. Lost his way but scored v Barca at 18. Potential world-beater

Doubt if any of the ten above would look out of place in Premiership. We need KR to get the best from them. Other squad members are not shabby.

• Options
    edited February 2017

FFS.

Who in this division would not have these players as one of the first on their teamsheet:-

Doubt if any of the ten above would look out of place in Premiership. We need KR to get the best from them. Other squad members are not shabby.

Blimey, I nearly agreed with one of your posts, until you're final punch line.

Good joke mind you, a proper LOL.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Tex - prem standard! None of our CBs have looked out of place in league one this yr. Bang average so far this season.

JFC - sought after....no higher placed team wanted him. He couldn't get a game at Rotherham. Admittedly he's had a good start at Bolton but consistency is his problem. I'd wager that he'll be charltonised within a month!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

FFS.

Lol, where did you drag that stat up from? I doubt even Chris Solly puts that on his CV!

We have some good players by League 1 standard, no doubt, but you are delusional if you think any of them are genuine Premier League standard.

• Options

FFS.

I'll have what he's drinking.
  • Options
    Millwall 0 Walsall 0 tonight.

6 Rochdale 27 5 45
    7 Southend 28 5 43
    8 Bristol Rovers 29 -2 42
    9 Peterborough 28 3 41
    10 Millwall 28 2 41
    11 Charlton 27 8 39
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Millwall 0 Walsall 0 tonight.

6 Rochdale 27 5 45
    7 Southend 28 5 43
    8 Bristol Rovers 29 -2 42
    9 Peterborough 28 3 41
    10 Millwall 28 2 41
    11 Charlton 27 8 39

Looking at the match stats, Millwall had 0 shots on target!
  • Options
    Very unlikely in my opinion. 10 clubs ahead of us playing for the top six places and us having to hit champions league form to overtake 5 of them. Probably 5 of the 6 places are out sight of us already. We are not a free scoring side and have a young squad. The bookies don't often get the odds that wrong.
    Couple that with all the loans we now have this thread will be repeated in February 2018.
    The start of last season I would not have believed we would consider 6th place in division 3 as something to get excited about but this incompetent mob have lowered my expectations considerably.
  • Options

FFS.

I'd also add that Crofts, Kashi, Ulvestad, Botaka, Magennis and Watt have 60+ full international caps between them. Forster-Caskey has 12 at U21 level for England. We really ought to be higher up our league.

Damn Slade and all those draws and odd goal defeats........
  • Options
    Whose kool aid is everyone drinking here and why didn't I get any?

Despite the media frenzy supporting the decisions made (see Robinsons repeat perfoamace of frustraion) this window has been shit.

We have again a super thin squad and although some are coming back from the table soon more will join.

We have lost talent and have improved the balance of the team but for how long?

I expect that we will find out later that Robinson has been instructed to make sure we are mid table in league 1.

That right. Mid table in league 1, welcome to the regime. 3rd division mediocrity is the new success metric.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Despite the media frenzy supporting the decisions made (see Robinsons repeat perfoamace of frustraion) this window has been shit.

We have again a super thin squad and although some are coming back from the table soon more will join.

I expect that we will find out later that Robinson has been instructed to make sure we are mid table in league 1.

That right. Mid table in league 1, welcome to the regime. 3rd division mediocrity is the new success metric.

Is it really a super thin squad though? Have a look at the squad thread, we have 23 players available who have played this season and will be 24 once the new Arsenal lad plays.

Jose Mourinho likes to have 23 outfield players. If 23 outfield players is good enough for Jose Mourinho it should be good enough for anyone. Granted I accept there's room for another player like Reeves so we're probably a player light but I disagree we have a super thin squad. Edit - Premier League squad sizes are 25, so how many more players do we need?

It'd actually be interesting to see how our squad of 24 compares to the rest of the league. All I know is it's improved significantly since Bury away back in August.
  • Options
    No ...
  • Options
    And it's irrelevant really... with this ownership you will NEVER see a well balanced, focused squad, built and capable of competing in the Championship.

The unity of the club has been smashed, the structure is not designed for success on the pitch, at best we will get a bunch of ill fitting players who aren't brought in based on the ethos of building this club back to the great heights we have reached before.

So in short, until we are taken over, all hope and feeling has dissipated for a great number of long serving supporters.
  • Options

Is it really a super thin squad though? Have a look at the squad thread, we have 23 players available who have played this season and will be 24 once the new Arsenal lad plays.

Jose Mourinho likes to have 23 outfield players. If 23 outfield players is good enough for Jose Mourinho it should be good enough for anyone. Granted I accept there's room for another player like Reeves so we're probably a player light but I disagree we have a super thin squad. Edit - Premier League squad sizes are 25, so how many more players do we need?

It'd actually be interesting to see how our squad of 24 compares to the rest of the league. All I know is it's improved significantly since Bury away back in August.
    No we don't.

Two goalkeepers that have both done well this season. You can bring in GK on an emergency loan if needed so that's not an issue.

Three full backs with Konsa covering Solly. Should have one more but we had the same when we won League One with Hughes or the left backs covering Solly.

Centre backs we are well covered.

Wingers we now have four depending how you see Dasilva.

Six CMs, though we're missing an attacking midfielder/number 10 which we know KR wanted.

Four strikers but KR only starts one at a time.

That's 24 players, just over 2 for each position. If anyone thinks we're going to have a squad of 30 senior they're never going to think we have enough.

The question is whether the squad is good enough not whether it's big enough. You could argue there aren't enough experienced, proven players there. Is that what some mean when they say the squad is too small?
  • Options

Tex - prem standard! None of our CBs have looked out of place in league one this yr. Bang average so far this season.

JFC - sought after....no higher placed team wanted him. He couldn't get a game at Rotherham. Admittedly he's had a good start at Bolton but consistency is his problem. I'd wager that he'll be charltonised within a month!

1. They've done well by and large. Good, well above average scores on the marking thread. Probably do ok in the Championship?

JFC - sought after? Well it doesn't matter really. He's impressed so far.
  • Options
    The odds are hugely stacked against us. Can anybody really see us only losing 3 or 4 games and winning nearly all the others for the rest of the season?