Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can We Make The Playoffs?

Comments

• Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

Just need all the protests to stop and everyone to get behind Slade.

11 lols? Do people actually still find Henry's repetitve 'get behind Slade' stuff funny, I just find it boring and repetitive. Generally don't mean to be harsh, just don't get how it is funny in any way, shape or form.
    I've had to live with over a decade of cardigan "jokes" but I cope with it.

It's a joke, some people find it funny, you don't. No big deal.
    fair enough, guess my sense of humour isn't just posting the same thing over and over again. Each to their own, you are quite right.
    I'm more bored by the complaining about the joke than I was by the original joke if I'm honest.

• Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

11 lols? Do people actually still find Henry's repetitve 'get behind Slade' stuff funny, I just find it boring and repetitive. Generally don't mean to be harsh, just don't get how it is funny in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, but you have got more cardigans than Darren Bent has trainers.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

fair enough, guess my sense of humour isn't just posting the same thing over and over again. Each to their own, you are quite right.
    Think of all the great comedians. They had catch phrases. Not that I'm a great comedian by a long chalk but it's the repatit
    cafcfan said:

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

Yeah, but you have got more cardigans than Darren Bent has trainers.
    See, no one is giving you a lol for that.: - )

And I don't own any cardigans.

For the record I don't mind the cardigan jokes, what does make me laugh is when people on other sites use it as a terrible insult when it's just a joke.
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    checked on odds checker and they reckon, Sky bet have us at 18-1 for promotion and 22-1 via the playoff.
  • Options

checked on odds checker and they reckon, Sky bet have us at 18-1 for promotion and 22-1 via the playoff.

Doh!
  • Options
    I know the matths and reality are against me, but with 19 games to go it still *feels* like we have a chance.
    PS Can you get treatment of optimism-itis?
  • Options
    57 points to play for.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

You say that but, in reality, one of the things that helps the 'bigger' clubs be successful is having bigger/louder/more intimidating crowds at home.

Bolton should be a big club in this league, but they're relatively big crowd did nothing for them Saturday. Even after taking the lead they were still quiet. Bramhall Lane it isn't.

Would love us to make play-offs to give us any hope of promotion, but wouldn't put a £1 on it at 100/1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting into the playoffs is one thing. Can we then do it over two, high pressure games and the final as well? No. Our young squad may well out run teams but it's certainly not gonna outthink them. League One next season, will be shocked if it's any different.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

You say that but, in reality, one of the things that helps the 'bigger' clubs be successful is having bigger/louder/more intimidating crowds at home.

Bolton should be a big club in this league, but they're relatively big crowd did nothing for them Saturday. Even after taking the lead they were still quiet. Bramhall Lane it isn't.

Would love us to make play-offs to give us any hope of promotion, but wouldn't put a £1 on it at 100/1.
    Yet they've won 9 and drawn 3 of their 15 home league games and are sitting 3rd in the table and we have won 5 and drawn 5 of our 13 home games are are sitting 11th.
  • Options
    11 points behind Fleetwood in 4th with 2 games in hand and we play them on Saturday. Beat them and the play off charge is on. Believe!!

Also if Oxford is rearranged for March or later then 8 of our last 12 games are at home.

Not quite sure how Millwall's odds are less than half ours when there's only a 1 point gap.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    As posted on another thread - Just to put the chances of the playoffs in perspective below is where we are in comparison to our previous recent seasons in League one (provided by Dick Sheppard on the cafc@lists.addicks.org mailing list):

League One

--------------Pld Pos W D L F A Pts GD
    2009/10 27 3 15 9 3 50 30 54 20
    2010/11 27 5 13 8 6 46 37 47 9
    2011/12 27 1 19 6 2 52 19 63 33
    2016/17 27 11 9 12 6 35 27 39 8

2009/10 Charlton 0 Leyton Orient 1
    2010/11 Charlton 3 Peterborough 2
    2011/12 Exeter 0 Charlton 1
    2016/17 Bolton 1 Charlton 2

We've got 39 points at the moment. With 54 points at this stage we made the play off in 2009/10 but lost on penalties in the semi. With 47 points at this stage in 2010/11 we didn't make it. And when we won the league in 2011/12 we had 63 points at this stage.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Teams that have achieved 2 points per game over the course of the whole season so far - Scunthorpe.

(Sheffield United just behind 2ppg)

Teams that have done it for a shorter spell of 20 games - Bolton (ok, they're good). And Rochdale.

Fleetwood and Southend have both gone just under 2ppg for a 20 game spell too.

So it has been achieved by the less fancied teams in this league too and is possible.

Doesn't mean we'll do it of course and I think we won't without more bodies incoming today but it's possible.

Roland knows what he's doing. He's a genius. He knows how many points per game we need to get a playoff place. And he knows exactly what he needs to do to ensure that happens. In fact, he's even gone to the press and explained his methodology, in detail. It's just a matter of timing.

As he's carefully explained, all he has to do in order to guarantee the right number of points per game for the rest of the season is to sack Chris Powell.
  • Options
    No. We will drop too many points
  • Options
    edited January 2017

That makes no sense. Two ways of getting promoted top two or win play offs. So sky say 18/1 to be top 2 an get promoted or win the playoffs . Or 22/1 to miss top 2 and to be 3rd -6th and win playoffs.

Take the 18/1 over the 22/1. Just in case !

Interestingly we are only 9/2 to make top 6.
  • Options
    The league is crap so we do have a chance. We just need to go on a run of wins - win our next three and see where that puts us.
  • Options
    A win on Saturday and I'm 100% in the 'We'll make the play-offs camp'
  • Options
    Sorry, you say "with the transfer window closing" as if that is significant.

We've lost our best player, offloaded one other and got an injured youngster in on loan.

Does that make you hopeful?

Is our squad now a force to be reckoned with in a way it wasn't, say, in December? Or November?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd say we have less chance of making the playoffs than we did at the start of the window.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    18/1 with Sky Bet... No chance but a good price
  • Options

I'd say we have less chance of making the playoffs than we did at the start of the window.

I'd say we have more. Our biggest problem was the static midfield and we've added JFC & Byrne.

Call me a sceptic, but I don't think Foley & Jackson would have broken away and scored like at Bolton on Saturday.
    Fair point, but we've lost two of our three top scorers and the third is out injured for a bit yet.
  • Options

I'd say we have more. Our biggest problem was the static midfield and we've added JFC & Byrne.

Call me a sceptic, but I don't think Foley & Jackson would have broken away and scored like at Bolton on Saturday.
    Fair point, but we've lost two of our three top scorers and the third is out injured for a bit yet.
    Fair point as well, but Ajose 6 and Lookman 5 were hardly prolific. Now if it had been Killer & Flash !
  • Options
    Yes, like we can lose/win all our remaining games.

We'll be in division 3 next season.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

As posted on another thread - Just to put the chances of the playoffs in perspective below is where we are in comparison to our previous recent seasons in League one (provided by Dick Sheppard on the cafc@lists.addicks.org mailing list):

League One

--------------Pld Pos W D L F A Pts GD
    2009/10 27 3 15 9 3 50 30 54 20
    2010/11 27 5 13 8 6 46 37 47 9
    2011/12 27 1 19 6 2 52 19 63 33
    2016/17 27 11 9 12 6 35 27 39 8

2009/10 Charlton 0 Leyton Orient 1
    2010/11 Charlton 3 Peterborough 2
    2011/12 Exeter 0 Charlton 1
    2016/17 Bolton 1 Charlton 2

We've got 39 points at the moment. With 54 points at this stage we made the play off in 2009/10 but lost on penalties in the semi. With 47 points at this stage in 2010/11 we didn't make it. And when we won the league in 2011/12 we had 63 points at this stage.

As mentioned by others we'd need at least an extra 36 points (to reach 75 points) from the remaining 19 games to stand a chance......assuming at least 4 defeats and 10 x wins with 5 x draws we'd fall short by a point.

So: we can't afford to lose more than 3 games in the next 4 months. Probably unlikely.
  • Options

Last season after playing 27 matches, Barnsley with 36 points were in 13th place - finishing 6th and winning promotion.
    All things are possible.

Remember all the teams above us all have to play each other - and they can't all get maximum points.
    At various points, they'll all be affected by injuries and loss of form. Charlton too, no doubt.

But it's still in our own hands.

We've got a game or 2 in hand over most teams and we need to get those points in the bag.
    Fleetwood have risen from midtable on the back of 6 wins in a row - we must beat them on Saturday and put a string of wins together.

Promotion form consistancy needed to even stand a chance of making the playoffs.
    It's a big ask - but one game at a time and all that.