Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can We Make The Playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    After listening to the KR interview, I do not believe he thinks we can get promoted, I think the play offs are a step to far.
  • Options
    The bit that makes me less than excited about the play offs is that we only have a one in four chance (or thereabouts) of winning promotion. They can bring exciting games but are faint hope particularly from where we are now.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

18/1 with Sky Bet... No chance but a good price

Can't decide if you think it's a good bet or not !
  • Options
    edited January 2017

checked on odds checker and they reckon, Sky bet have us at 18-1 for promotion and 22-1 via the playoff.

That makes no sense. Two ways of getting promoted top two or win play offs. So sky say 18/1 to be top 2 an get promoted or win the playoffs . Or 22/1 to miss top 2 and to be 3rd -6th and win playoffs.

Take the 18/1 over the 22/1. Just in case !

Interestingly we are only 9/2 to make top 6.
    5/1 make top 6
    I've backed us to make top 6
    When we reach play offs we will be 7/2 to win them
  • Options
    Karl thinks we can still make the automatic spots if the players just remember to spread out a bit. Or was that Karel Fraeye?
  • Options
    Roland never believed it. KR is playing catch-up.
  • Options
    NO.
    Simple.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Last season after playing 27 matches, Barnsley with 36 points were in 13th place - finishing 6th and winning promotion.
    All things are possible.

Remember all the teams above us all have to play each other - and they can't all get maximum points.
    At various points, they'll all be affected by injuries and loss of form. Charlton too, no doubt.

But it's still in our own hands.

We've got a game or 2 in hand over most teams and we need to get those points in the bag.
    Fleetwood have risen from midtable on the back of 6 wins in a row - we must beat them on Saturday and put a string of wins together.

Promotion form consistancy needed to even stand a chance of making the playoffs.
    It's a big ask - but one game at a time and all that.

It is NOT in our own hands.
    It's true that we would have to perform better than we have done at any stage of the season so far. In particular, we would need to score more goals (who is going to get those?) to have the slighest chance.
    We would, even then, require a minimum of five teams out of six (those currently occupying places five down to ten) to screw up, some badly some marginally.. Very unlikely if not impossible but not in our hands.
  • Options
    Last 5 games, won 3, drawn 2

If, at the end of the season, we can look back and say that match 5 games ago was the start of a long run of good form then automatic promotion could be the target but the play offs would be the default if the top two don't have a blip.
  • Options
    If we manage to get into the playoffs we are likely to be in great form which would give us a good chance. However, I predict that we will finish further away from 6th place (in terms of points) than we are now.

I suspect this outcome will start to take shape when we fail to beat Fleetwood at home on Saturday, then follow that up with another draw or defeat at Wimbledon the week after.

Then all talk will be of the summer rebuild, something KR has already started doing, which we all know will be as successful as this month's and last summer's transfer window.

The worst thing about this transfer window is not that, again, we had a great opportunity to take advantage of the financial strength that we should have and we fluffed, again. The worst thing is that we all knew we would do, exactly, this and we are still frustrated by it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If we manage to get into the playoffs we are likely to be in great form which would give us a good chance. However, I predict that we will finish further away from 6th place (in terms of points) than we are now.

I suspect this outcome will start to take shape when we fail to beat Fleetwood at home on Saturday, then follow that up with another draw or defeat at Wimbledon the week after.

Then all talk will be of the summer rebuild, something KR has already started doing, which we all know will be as successful as this month's and last summer's transfer window.

The worst thing about this transfer window is not that, again, we had a great opportunity to take advantage of the financial strength that we should have and we fluffed, again. The worst thing is that we all knew we would do, exactly, this and we are still frustrated by it.

Personally, I think we did quite well in this transfer window but I was expecting just a little bit more from the Lookman money which makes me wonder whether the fabled new ownership is actually not that far away
  • Options
    Dreams are free of charge and the only thing this lot will ever achieve. No chance whatsoever.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

18/1 with Sky Bet... No chance but a good price

The thought process that keeps bookies in business.
  • Options
    If we need roughly a points tally of 75 and we are 36 points short with 19 games to go (think that's right) then to push into the play off's needs roughly 2 points a game which is automatic promotion form.

Chances of that are almost zero in my view. It relies on being better than 6 or 7 teams above us or around us, looking at the fixtures my predictions are with points;

Fleetwood 3
    AFC W 1
    Oldham 3
    Oxford 0
    Rochdale 0
    Bury 1
    Shrewsbury 1
    Northampton 3
    Scunthorpe 0
    Wallsall 1
    Bradford 1
    Sheff U 0
    MKD 1
    Peterborough 0
    Southend 3
    Coventry 3
    Gillingham 1
    Chesterfield 3
    Swindon 1

26 points plus 39 = 65 - 10+ short of the play off's, maybe 9th or 10th.

Of course mathematically it's possible, but then for ages last season it was mathematically possible not to get relegated but we never believed it from about Feb onwards.

More of a worry for me is the summer, if we carry on the same path with signings, managers etc then next season is likely to be a relegation battle.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Okay, I hope I've got this right.
    Last season, by way of example, the team in sixth place at the end of the season got 74 points. (So did the team in seventh.) They were a little adrift: the team in fifth had eighty points. But let's target 74.

We are currently in eleventh place with 39 points. So to get to 74, (which may or may not be enough) we need another 35 points from 19 games. An average of 1.85 points per game. The snag is that teams above us who have all performed better than us so far, now need less points to get to 74 points. Bolton and Fleetwood only need 24, Bradford 25, Rochdale 29 and Southend 31. Those are average points per game 1.27, 1.41, 1.47, 1.53 and 1.72 respectively.

The form of Bolton and Fleetwood would have to fail catastrophically for us to overhaul them, so let's ignore them. But even if Bradford, Rochdale and Southend all slumped badly we would still need to achieve a big upswing in form AND do better than two of Bristol Rovers, Peterborough and Millwall.
    Now the last six games we've won three, drawn two and lost one: a pretty fair performance. But still only an average points per game figure of 1.83. Less than we need.
    So, in a word, no. We won't make the play offs unless something remarkable happens. Which explains the odds.

Millwall you've got to hope will exhaust themselves in this pointless FA Cup campaign
    You're right, no points to be won from the FA Cup. We do, however, still hold on to the dream of appearing at Wembley again. You're welcome to come along with @palarsehater and myself should we make it :wink:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If we need roughly a points tally of 75 and we are 36 points short with 19 games to go (think that's right) then to push into the play off's needs roughly 2 points a game which is automatic promotion form.

Chances of that are almost zero in my view. It relies on being better than 6 or 7 teams above us or around us, looking at the fixtures my predictions are with points;

Fleetwood 3
    AFC W 1
    Oldham 3
    Oxford 0
    Rochdale 0
    Bury 1
    Shrewsbury 1
    Northampton 3
    Scunthorpe 0
    Wallsall 1
    Bradford 1
    Sheff U 0
    MKD 1
    Peterborough 0
    Southend 3
    Coventry 3
    Gillingham 1
    Chesterfield 3
    Swindon 1

Of course mathematically it's possible, but then for ages last season it was mathematically possible not to get relegated but we never believed it from about Feb onwards.

More of a worry for me is the summer, if we carry on the same path with signings, managers etc then next season is likely to be a relegation battle.

Before Saturday's win at Bolton, we had no league wins this season against the current top 7. We have to play 5 of them before the end of the season, so it would take promotion winning form to grab that 5th or 6th spot. If we did get to the play offs, then we would have to be strongly fancied to winning it.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Fleetwood 3
    AFC W 1
    Oldham 3
    Oxford 0
    Rochdale 0
    Bury 1
    Shrewsbury 1
    Northampton 3
    Scunthorpe 0
    Wallsall 1
    Bradford 1
    Sheff U 0
    MKD 1
    Peterborough 0
    Southend 3
    Coventry 3
    Gillingham 1
    Chesterfield 3
    Swindon 1

Before Saturday's win at Bolton, we had no league wins this season against the current top 7. We have to play 5 of them before the end of the season, so it would take promotion winning form to grab that 5th or 6th spot. If we did get to the play offs, then we would have to be strongly fancied to winning it.

But whats to say a they opposition will still be in the top seven when we play them though?
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Fleetwood 3
    AFC W 1
    Oldham 3
    Oxford 0
    Rochdale 0
    Bury 1
    Shrewsbury 1
    Northampton 3
    Scunthorpe 0
    Wallsall 1
    Bradford 1
    Sheff U 0
    MKD 1
    Peterborough 0
    Southend 3
    Coventry 3
    Gillingham 1
    Chesterfield 3
    Swindon 1

But whats to say a they opposition will still be in the top seven when we play them though?
    Where does it say they have to. The current 7 now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millwall are hugely fancied for a play off spot. Remind me how many points we are trailing them by ?

I still think it's a tall order but in answer to the question. Yes we can.
  • Options
    Na don't want to waste money watching millwall watch highlights of you beating each other up on YouTube.
  • Options

Fail to beat Fleetwood!? Fail to beat Wimbledon!?
    Can't see it myself.
    Would love to see Watt getting on the scoresheet on Saturday.
  • Options
    A pretty fair summary of the situation, equally enjoyable for a natural optimist like me, or for those of a more cynical (and realistic?) outlook.

• Options
    clb74 said:

checked on odds checker and they reckon, Sky bet have us at 18-1 for promotion and 22-1 via the playoff.

That makes no sense. Two ways of getting promoted top two or win play offs. So sky say 18/1 to be top 2 an get promoted or win the playoffs . Or 22/1 to miss top 2 and to be 3rd -6th and win playoffs.

Take the 18/1 over the 22/1. Just in case !

Interestingly we are only 9/2 to make top 6.
    5/1 make top 6
    I've backed us to make top 6
    When we reach play offs we will be 7/2 to win them
    Just backed us at 11/2 for top 6 finish. Its plausible but a task. Thanks for these odds!
  • Options
    Definitely possible to get in the play offs! - I think KR has done very well in Jan. Lookman and Fox were always likely to leave.. and Ajose never did anything since signing (Slade didnt seem to rate either)

We have lots of options in Midfield now (J-FC, Byrne and Dasilva offer legs and pace, previous we had Jacko playing out wide ffs!), and when they are fit going Forward we have a versatile front line too with two big men, young arsenal lad looks quick and a deep lying CF in Watt.

I think the negative lot who post absolute drivel on here need to give Robinson a chance, he's making positive changes and can hopefully get us towards a play off spot. Feb is massive we have 5/6 winnable games out of 7 starting on saturday!
  • Options
    very hard to predict now, our next 6 are

Fleetwood
    AFC W
    Oldham
    Oxford
    Rochdale
    Bury

12 points out of them then were well on the road anything less, will be a mid table and august we go again.
  • Options
    http://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/

for anyone that can be assed doing it theres a predictor.
  • Options
    tgarrat1 said:

Definitely possible to get in the play offs! - I think KR has done very well in Jan. Lookman and Fox were always likely to leave.. and Ajose never did anything since signing (Slade didnt seem to rate either)

We have lots of options in Midfield now (J-FC, Byrne and Dasilva offer legs and pace, previous we had Jacko playing out wide ffs!), and when they are fit going Forward we have a versatile front line too with two big men, young arsenal lad looks quick and a deep lying CF in Watt.

I think the negative lot who post absolute drivel on here need to give Robinson a chance, he's making positive changes and can hopefully get us towards a play off spot. Feb is massive we have 5/6 winnable games out of 7 starting on saturday!

They're just expressing an opinion. Jeeeez.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Okay, I hope I've got this right.
    Last season, by way of example, the team in sixth place at the end of the season got 74 points. (So did the team in seventh.) They were a little adrift: the team in fifth had eighty points. But let's target 74.

We are currently in eleventh place with 39 points. So to get to 74, (which may or may not be enough) we need another 35 points from 19 games. An average of 1.85 points per game. The snag is that teams above us who have all performed better than us so far, now need less points to get to 74 points. Bolton and Fleetwood only need 24, Bradford 25, Rochdale 29 and Southend 31. Those are average points per game 1.27, 1.41, 1.47, 1.53 and 1.72 respectively.

The form of Bolton and Fleetwood would have to fail catastrophically for us to overhaul them, so let's ignore them. But even if Bradford, Rochdale and Southend all slumped badly we would still need to achieve a big upswing in form AND do better than two of Bristol Rovers, Peterborough and Millwall.

Now the last six games we've won three, drawn two and lost one: a pretty fair performance. But still only an average points per game figure of 1.83. Less than we need.

So, in a word, no. We won't make the play offs unless something remarkable happens. Which explains the odds.

I think we will come close, even to the last game of the season and like the season Millwall went up look like we have done it only to fall at the last hurdle.. If we do get into the play offs, I would back us to go up, purely and simply as we would be displaying such great form