Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Groundhopping

Comments

• Options
    So a vital game for Charlton with the new owner flying in from Abu Dhabi for his first game and you went to Fareham ?
  • Options
    So a vital game for Charlton with the new owner flying in from Abu Dhabi for his first game and you went to Fareham ?

Farnham, Fareham was all ticket.
  • Options
    My local team, Stotfold FC on the beds/herts border has a new ground open for the first time this weekend.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    My local team, Stotfold FC on the beds/herts border has a new ground open for the first time this weekend.

The old one was a cracker.
  • Options

Eynesbury v Potton in the Spartan South Midlands Premier yesterday finished 2-3.

Potton played some decent stuff, particularly their number 11 who I am sure could play at a higher level.
  • Options
    Working in Manchester this week, so I thought I'd take a look at Salford v Plymouth. Fucking google maps sent me to the wrong place though - it literally sent me to the middle of this roundabout:

On foot, and with no time to get to where the game was, I had a walk around and stumbled upon this place:

Thought I'd have a little nose about, but security caught up with me and chucked me out.

Thank heavens for mobile phones and Charlton Life. At least I could follow our magnificent win in Nottingham. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020

An eventful day.

With the expected bad weather for Saturday I had made a list of games I could do on Friday night. 

I made contact with the Secretary of Snodland on the Friday night and he said that the pitch was fine and that there was no pitch inspection planned, but he would make contact with me in the morning to update me.  True to his word, around 10.30 he said that the game was definitely on.

Unfortunately the rain came down as forecast and the ref called the game off at 14.10, I was in the tea hut with the Secretary when the referee came over to say he was calling the game off.

It was an interesting five minute chat, the ref said that he was calling it off on the proability that the game would not finish and he was not prepared to even start the game, regardless of the fact that the players wanted to give it a go.  The Secretary then asked the ref if the officials were to still get paid, this was confirmed as a yes but only 50% as the game was called off.  Instead of £120 for ALL 3 officials it was to be £60.

Once the ref went back to the warmth of the dressing rooms the Secretary told me that in the morning he had taken pictures of the pitch and sent them to the referee who passed the game at that stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On checking the train times I then set off for Aylesford for K Sports, certain that the game would be played as they had a 3G pitch.  I had been here last season but I did not want a totally wasted afternoon.

• Options
    cafc4life said:

Went to Torino v Sampdoria last week. Not a bad ground albeit 2/3 full. Ended 1-3 to Sampdoria 

Many from Genoa?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

K Sports v Hollands and Blair finished 0-0 but the home keeper had a blinder and stopped what should have been a heavy defeat.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Went to Torino v Sampdoria last week. Not a bad ground albeit 2/3 full. Ended 1-3 to Sampdoria 

Many from Genoa?
    I’d say about 700/800 
  • Options
    That Heineken looks as flat as fuck....
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Quite like the bloke who was drinking it. I’m just wondering who bought it for him.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Simonsen said:
    Nope, it was like my personality.  Bubbly and tasty.
  • Options
    Goals on wheels .. handy for a quick move if a shot is going in .. oi ref !!

• Options
    I'm in Malta, managed to fit in Hamrun v Sengrea in the top tier then after 25 minutes realised I'm at the wrong fixture. For some reason 2nd division Zebbug v Naxxar is in Hamrun's stadium - I had thought it was cheap (5 euros) and quiet! There are no more than 70 people here. Meanwhile it appears Hamrun are at the out of town national stadium. 

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    I'm in Malta, managed to fit in Hamrun v Sengrea in the top tier then after 25 minutes realised I'm at the wrong fixture. For some reason 2nd division Zebbug v Naxxar is in Hamrun's stadium - I had thought it was cheap (5 euros) and quiet! There are no more than 70 people here. Meanwhile it appears Hamrun are at the out of town national stadium. 

Perhaps not the best of grounds but the surrounding area is different.

Are a lot of grounds 3G out there?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    No idea, I can't even turn up at the right game. 

I've now been told only 3 stadiums in Malta can host Premier League games so I'm lucky I had another match taking place at Hamrun's ground. Doesn't help that Soccerway was wrong and these teams don't have a working website or social media. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    No idea, I can't even turn up at the right game. 

I've now been told only 3 stadiums in Malta can host Premier League games so I'm lucky I had another match taking place at Hamrun's ground. Doesn't help that Soccerway was wrong and these teams don't have a working website or social media. 
    A few teams play there home games at the National Stadium. My Dad was on holiday in Malta in 2001 and took in a game - Birkirkara v Dinamo Moscow in the Europa League (UEFA Cup as it was known then) my Mum wasn’t overly impressed at having to sit through that for 90mins. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it was 0-0 as well !!!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    it was 0-0 as well !!!
    The Otto clan know how to treat our women. 
  • Options
    According to my FGG stats I've done 56 out of the current 90 (which excludes Coventry and Bury) though not done the Emirates for a Charlton game.

It looks likely that I'll lose Stevenage this season to relegation, while Brentford and Wimbledon are due to move to new grounds!
  • Options

Sawbridgeworth v Saffron Walden in the Essex Senior League ended with the away team winnng very easily 5-0, it could have been 8 in this top v bottom game.

A cracking ground although have seen more rubbish in a dump.
  • Options

Interesting club house. It looks more like a cricket pavilion, or perhaps something you might find at a very posh school (not that I'd know).
  • Options
    Stig said:

Interesting club house. It looks more like a cricket pavilion, or perhaps something you might find at a very posh school (not that I'd know).
    I believe cricket is played there as well.
  • Options

Was at Porto v Leverkusen tonight, cool stadium, surprisingly poor atmosphere from the Porto fans (and that was before they went 3-0 down on the night!).
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Was at Porto v Leverkusen tonight, cool stadium, surprisingly poor atmosphere from the Porto fans (and that was before they went 3-0 down on the night!).
    How much to  get in?
  • Options

One of the best grounds in the country.

I always enjoy coming here.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

How much to  get in?
    €30, beer was €2 (although they didn’t disclose that it was alcohol free until I was on my second!)