Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Groundhopping

Comments

• Options
    Back at Union Adarve this afternoon to see them beat Real Madrid Castilla (Real's B team, who have spent most of their existence in the second league and have been the stepping stone for many first team players; Zidane was also managing them up until three years ago).

Surprisingly it was a sell out so in comical fashion I watched it through a hole in the fence outside along with some fellow lunatics. Great game, atmosphere and fun though! Pretty much the biggest result in Adarve's history as it's their first year in the third division, so potentially one of those 'I was there' events, though admittedly a very niche one.
  • Options

Lazio v Cagliari

Did they do a programme?

ps
    Are you James Richardson in disguise?
  • Options
    How much were your tickets @ricky_otto . Were they easy enough to get
  • Options

Lazio v Cagliari

Did they do a programme?

ps
    No programme, but there was a free match day newspaper.
  • Options

Lazio v Cagliari

Did they do a programme?

ps
    No programme, but there was a free match day newspaper.
    Like.

That'll probably double up as the programme.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

€20 for adults and €5 for children. Really easy to get from a Lazio Fan shop the day before the game.

• Options

cafc4life said:

€20 for adults and €5 for children. Really easy to get from a Lazio Fan shop the day before the game.

Did plod take your coins from you when going in to the ground?
  • Options

cafc4life said:

Did plod take your coins from you when going in to the ground?
    No mate.

But you must have your passport with you when you buy the tickets and when you go to the game, no entry other wise.
  • Options
    Tring v Harpenden in the Spartan South Midlands League.

Given the size of the place I was surprised that there were about 70 people there.

A cracking little ground with a nice clubhouse, my £6 entrance came with a very impressive programme.

Tring were very unlucky to lose 3-2, with a smash and grab performance from Harpenden.

Unlike my recent visit to Oxhey Jets, this game was played without constant intimidation of the ref when decisions went against the teams.
  • Options
    I know Oxhey Jets very well EA, or did many moons ago, played against their forefathers about 30 years ago, Oxhey was always an interesting area with plenty of overspill characters from London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arundel v Lancing last Saturday @ 14.30

We had a good pre-match drink, Arundel is a very pleasant town. My two Wednesday mates, my Chelsea mate and his girlfriend were all pleased that I dragged them along for something to do.

A shame the match was called off 4 hours earlier due to rain!
  • Options
    Not deterred, we managed to see the second half of Horsham YMCA v Hassocks.

I asked a fan what the score was and was told 5-0 to Horsham, so I was expecting to see a few more goals to justify our efforts in getting a game in. Horsham got another in injury time!
  • Options
    Tonbridge Angels vs Needham Market 5 - 4. End to end game with a pen and an own goal each side.
  • Options

Tonbridge Angels vs Needham Market 5 - 4. End to end game with a pen and an own goal each side.

Better than the dross I saw yesterday then.
  • Options
    Harpenden v Leighton finished 2-2.

About 60 people saw a game where Leighton should have won comfortably, the ref was a shocker.

A very basic ground not matching the lovely town and boozers in Harpenden.

• Options
    I hit 150 on Saturday, saw Lechia Gdansk 3-0 Wisla Plock. It's a big old stadium, too large for Lechia but they made a decent, constant noise and caused 2 suspensions of play because of smoke over the pitch.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    CB Hounslow 5 Balham 0 in a Combined Counties League game.

A cracking game of football, both teams liked to play football although Balham lost easily eventually.

On paying the admission fee if you said you were a CB fan it meant you got in for £3 including programme. I bought another pint at half-time to boost their coffers!

A very low crowd of about 25.
  • Options

About 60 people saw a game where Leighton should have won comfortably, the ref was a shocker.

I grew up in Harpenden. It's not the same anymore; it's grown from a village into a commuter town. A nice place to grow up in but you have to get out once you're an adult. I'm interested to know which boozers you went in, the Harpenden Arms just down from the station got refurbed and lost its character and characters. We're on the map as Sam Bartram's final resting place.
  • Options

I grew up in Harpenden. It's not the same anymore; it's grown from a village into a commuter town. A nice place to grow up in but you have to get out once you're an adult. I'm interested to know which boozers you went in, the Harpenden Arms just down from the station got refurbed and lost its character and characters. We're on the map as Sam Bartram's final resting place.
    Is there a grave or monument of some kind there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Is there a grave or monument of some kind there?
    He's buried in the local cemetery, so there'll be a headstone.
  • Options

I only managed The Oddfellows(apt name I suppose given my hobby?!), as I did not get to Harpenden till late.

I poked my head around the door of a few more nice looking places seeing if they had Sky.
  • Options

I only managed The Oddfellows(apt name I suppose given my hobby?!), as I did not get to Harpenden till late.

I poked my head around the door of a few more nice looking places seeing if they had Sky.
    The Oddfellows changed its name to the Oak Tree and I hadn't realised it had reverted to its original name. Lots of town centre pubs used to have Sky but there may only be one, perhaps two, that still do.

If we don't go up and Luton do then I'd recommend drinking in Harpenden before the game and getting a cab to Kenilworth Road.
  • Options

The Cross Keys, in the High Street, was good when I visited on a Saturday lunchtime a few years back: cosy and convivial. Flagstone floor, pewter bar top, retired gents doing the Telegraph crossword, and Ffiona with two 'f's in riding boots. Good, hearty, Home Counties stockbroker territory.

• Options

The Cross Keys, in the High Street, was good when I visited on a Saturday lunchtime a few years back: cosy and convivial. Flagstone floor, pewter bar top, retired gents doing the Telegraph crossword, and Ffiona with two 'f's in riding boots. Good, hearty, Home Counties stockbroker territory.

You've put it very nicely ! The Cross Keys is affiliated to Harpenden Rugby Club so football types are frowned upon but it's a good pub with nice ale.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Hadley v Biggleswade United in the Spartan South Midlands League finished 2-2.

An exciting final twenty minutes for the 40'ish gate saw Biggleswade go down to 10 men after the keeper got sent off.

Not one of the better grounds I have been to but at least another one off the list.
  • Options
    Aveley beat Bury Town 1-0 yesterday in the Bostik North.

This is their first year at the new ground. They only had 281 yesterday but that is a improvement on their old ground.

With Aveley having a 3G pitch I went for the safe option of the game being on. My preferred option of South Park was called off

As I do not drive, Kent to Essex is a 2 1/2 journey by train, tube, bus and legs. Fortunately I bumped into a friend of arsenetatters and I was back in Swanley at 17.25, the time the bus was due at Aveley!
  • Options

This is their first year at the new ground. They only had 281 yesterday but that is a improvement on their old ground.

With Aveley having a 3G pitch I went for the safe option of the game being on. My preferred option of South Park was called off

As I do not drive, Kent to Essex is a 2 1/2 journey by train, tube, bus and legs. Fortunately I bumped into a friend of arsenetatters and I was back in Swanley at 17.25, the time the bus was due at Aveley!

You should have poped round for a cup of tea - only 15 mins in a cab from me.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

You should have poped round for a cup of tea - only 15 mins in a cab from me.
    I want to enjoy my Saturday afternoons.

Thanks for the offer though.

Are you still based in Dagenham docks?
  • Options

Depending where you are in Kent, there is always the Gravesend - Tilbury ferry where you can get a train. Aveley is not well served by public transport though.

Meanwhile Hornchurch drew at Dereham to maintain their position as league leaders. Leon McKenzie coming on as sub for the last 20 minutes.