Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Free Breakfast & Coach Travel to Sixfields

124»

Comments

• Options
    Remember Grimsby only too well - got a phone call to ask if I could get kick off delayed...
  • Options

What a sad brunch running the club.

There, corrected!
  • Options

Broke down once on the way back from Boro and we had to sit in a pub for about four hours whilst a replacement coach was sent to pick us up.

Fortunately was on the coach that was hit first, our coach hit coach in front at forest, girl in seat behind was diagnosed with broken neck, if I recall correctly driver retained overnight, other injuries whiplash in this coach, other 3 coaches had a single hit with passengers striking seats in front with face.

Waiting for replacement coach for hours after match and then pick up at hospital to take home some of those who missed match, if I recall over 70 treated in hospital whilst the rest of us walked to the ground and missed kick off.
  • Options
    I recall the coach to Blackburn (the PL game which the club paid travel for as we were desperate for the points) taking a very scenic route there, using the A6 through the Peak District to avoid problems on the M1
    As it happened, we just arrived on time and probably wish we hadn't...
  • Options
    F@ck me you lot.
    God help anyone thinking of getting the coach.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

F@ck me you lot.

Has Pico lifted your ban yet?
  • Options

The last time I got a coach was to an away game at Wycombe. After spending 2 hours driving around NW Kent and SE London picking up one person here, and one person there, when we finally got to the M25 the driver announced he had been driving too long and had to stop. We went into the services for an hour, and missed kick off. Never been again by coach. They cannot organise the proverbial piss -up in a brewery.

I wonder if a coach has ever missed a game.

Of course this has happened down the years, as it has to people travelling by car and train. I got to Sheffield Wednesday in 2011/12 at half-time because of train problems. One of 16 coaches coach travelling to Sheffield United in 1992 didn't get there until the last ten minutes because it broke down. Tranmere has more than once been a problem, including by car.

I went by coach to Wycombe for the game STLeonards is referring to and we had people get off and walk up the road in order to get in before kick-off, which has also happened at Colchester in the past, but the main problem at Wycombe that evening was congestion on the route / arguably departure time, not the number of pick-ups. There's no way there were two hours of pick ups, neither is it reasonable to link that to the current club operation (nobody at the club then is still involved and it is a different coach company). You can blame me if you like, though!
    You must remember Grimsby, few saw our goals in the first half.
    Think I was in the press box that night and must have gone by car, as we were there early. Wasn't involved with the coaches at the time.
  • Options

I recall the coach to Blackburn (the PL game which the club paid travel for as we were desperate for the points) taking a very scenic route there, using the A6 through the Peak District to avoid problems on the M1

Not surprising. We had to find 79 coaches for that and there were probably 20 firms involved once the sub-contractors are counted. We were still looking for two more on Friday morning.
  • Options

Not surprising. We had to find 79 coaches for that and there were probably 20 firms involved once the sub-contractors are counted. We were still looking for two more on Friday morning.
    Ah !

The good old days !
  • Options

clb74 said:

F@ck me you lot.

On a life ban elfs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

F@ck me you lot.

On a life ban elfs
    If ever there was somebody pleased with a ban.......
  • Options
    I remember going up to Man Utd (the game Ralph Milne scored i think).The coach came out of the Blackwall Tunnel and the driver got lost. We had to stop in a petrol station so the driver could ask for directions. Then when we got up to the ground, the driver took us towards the home end, then drove down a dead end, and with the help of a few Police had to reverse back out again, much to the amusement of the United fans.
  • Options
    you couldn't pay me to get a coach to an away game these days. Only times got one was from to Dartford to selhurst in the first season we were playing there and away to Boro in late 80s when my mate blew it out on day of game and Walkman batteries run out after 15 mins. Was 16 at time and think was the game we had golfs balls thrown at us during the game.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Who was on the Lewis one to Roker park early nineties that had a cracked exhaust? I fell asleep and woke up to the whole coach full of fumes! They got it to the services where Eddie repaired it with a bandage and a ripped up coke can. It got us to the match (just) pulling up with smoke pouring out of the back.

I was on that one. Couldn't remember the destination but the drivers white shirt was black and white when he crawled out. Top fella.

I think that it ran out out of fuel along the woolwich road (?) On the way back after dropping most off.
  • Options
    Got my ticket for the Northampton ticket today

I wasn't interested in the free travel offer anyway, but was surprised it wasn't offered to me. Have they "sold out" already of the coach places, or are they waiting for people to ask for it?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2017
    Got 6 this morning UTA, and managed to get £17 return train tickets
  • Options
    HandG said:

Grimsby on a Friday night during the Championship winning season-after leaving Charlton at about midday, we eventually arrived at half time and the first thing we saw was an equaliser from them although we went on to win 5-2. Made a vow that night never to travel by coach again and, other than a couple of games when no trains have been available, think I've just about stuck to it.

Bolton away as well - their last ever game at Burden Park. The IRA were river dancing all the way up the m1 that day
  • Options
    last time i got a coach was years ago wouldn't get one again if you hunt cheaper train tickets its good can have a good few beers and have a generally good day out apart from the 90 minutes you have to watch Charlton.
  • Options
    We got the rest of our 25 today
  • Options
    I was at the Grimsby game but had driven up...took me something like 8 hours from SE10 and was stressing about missing KO.......made it though and remember the coach crew piling in at half time...a good score line and - if I remember correctly - a decent half time pie too, so all was well in the end...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know how many tickets we have sold?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

el-pietro said:

Was on a coach to Liverpool with my dad in the late 80s when we broke down on the way to Anfield. I don't remember which game or what year, I was very young. Under 5. Probably 1987-89

If it was the one I was on it was 1989/90. It was a Junior Reds coach and we never got to see any of the game.
    That would have been it I'd say, we went on a few Junior Reds coaches. Didn't realise it was that late. Must have been just before we moved back to Ireland. The driver left the oil cap off I think, there was smoke billowing down the motorway from the bus.
  • Options
    Got chased out of Burnden Park 1969 lost 4-0 Charlie let one through his legs, got back to the one Lewis coach and just got on it as two side windows got bricked. After boarding up we drove home Ffffrezing.
    I think it was the following season when a Lewis coach went off the motorway in a blizzard on way back from Villa
  • Options
    Acab said:

Got chased out of Burnden Park 1969 lost 4-0 Charlie let one through his legs, got back to the one Lewis coach and just got on it as two side windows got bricked. After boarding up we drove home Ffffrezing.
    I think it was the following season when a Lewis coach went off the motorway in a blizzard on way back from Villa

Just as well we didn't win!