Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker 'Big interview' in the Sun today

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Anyhow.

This thread wasn't really started as another reason to bemoan the transfer of Scott Parker again.

I just found it odd that in a two page spread on the bloke,there is not a mention for the club that arguably taught him his trade.

Petty on my part maybe.
    Just a bit concerned that we are now possibly being seen in the eyes of the media as a club with little history and a bunch of fans that despise their owner and moan a lot.
  • Options
    As per most footballers he showed no loyalty to no other but himself, been like that for many a year, its not a recent thing. Us fans matter very little nor the mentoring and coaching from the football club. Not bitter or twisted but a part of me chuckles that if he had of stayed till the end of the season he just might of left on better terms + picked up more England caps between 2004- 2011 thus a better career - Judas :)
  • Options

Still see it as the start of the demise of our club but don't blame Scotty Parker. Professional football is a short career and you never know when or if such an opportunity would come again. And as for saying he had no career after leaving us please get real. Scott has had an outstanding career by anyone's standards and has been appreciated by the fans of all the clubs he has played for. You only had to hear the ovation he received at Craven cottage yesterday and that is at 36 years when his best days are behind him. Some people need to get over it.

More money in the bank, and the sort of house, most of us could only dream of. True.

But a successful career? Put it this way - he won't need too big a trophy room in his pad. In fact, did he ever win a medal anywhere?

And the handful of caps he won bear no resemblance to the form he showed when playing for us.
    First Division with Charlton (18 League and Cup appearances that season)
    League Cup with Chelsea (11 League and Cup appearances that season yet missed the Final with injury)
    In addition:

Represented England at every level from U16 to senior side

2003 Charlton Player Of The Year

2004 PL Runners Up Medal

2004 PFA Young Player Of The Year

2009 West Ham Player Of The Year

2010 West Ham Player Of The Year

2011 West Ham Player Of The Year

2011 Football Writers Player Of The Year

2012 Tottenham Player Of The Year

So, it rather depends how you define "winning something". Can't think of too many of our players in the last 50 years to beat that lot especially as these awards are voted, separately for, by the fans, players and writers.

Would imagine he'd swap the lot for an FA Cup or PL winners medal.
    Neither of which he would have got with us in all likelihood so it doesn't really change anything.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Still see it as the start of the demise of our club but don't blame Scotty Parker. Professional football is a short career and you never know when or if such an opportunity would come again. And as for saying he had no career after leaving us please get real. Scott has had an outstanding career by anyone's standards and has been appreciated by the fans of all the clubs he has played for. You only had to hear the ovation he received at Craven cottage yesterday and that is at 36 years when his best days are behind him. Some people need to get over it.

More money in the bank, and the sort of house, most of us could only dream of. True.

But a successful career? Put it this way - he won't need too big a trophy room in his pad. In fact, did he ever win a medal anywhere?

And the handful of caps he won bear no resemblance to the form he showed when playing for us.
    First Division with Charlton (18 League and Cup appearances that season)
    League Cup with Chelsea (11 League and Cup appearances that season yet missed the Final with injury)
    In addition:

Represented England at every level from U16 to senior side

2003 Charlton Player Of The Year

2004 PL Runners Up Medal

2004 PFA Young Player Of The Year

2009 West Ham Player Of The Year

2010 West Ham Player Of The Year

2011 West Ham Player Of The Year

2011 Football Writers Player Of The Year

2012 Tottenham Player Of The Year

So, it rather depends how you define "winning something". Can't think of too many of our players in the last 50 years to beat that lot especially as these awards are voted, separately for, by the fans, players and writers.

Would imagine he'd swap the lot for an FA Cup or PL winners medal.
    Neither of which he would have got with us in all likelihood so it doesn't really change anything.
    More chance than he had picking splinters out of his arse from the Chelsea bench.
  • Options
    Parker wasnt a fan so he didnt care really.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I was really pissed of at the circumstances surrounding his departure, however if he was one of my kids I would have encouraged him to join Chelsea. If I was a pro footballer and I was playing for little old Charlton and a big club like Chelski came knocking with a double wage offer, I'd be away quicker than Usain Bolt.
    If we are honest and grown up we all would......no brainer.

Why is it that people who would always grab the cash, want to convince themselves that everyone else is the same? If you are like that, and you are happy with it, that's absolutely fine Greenie, but why not accept that people like me are not like that? It truly baffles me.

I would have told my son that £20k A WEEK, is a huge amount of money, more than I am earning a year. I would have explained how staying at Charlton for just four more months would have made him a hero, something money can't buy ( unless you are a super-rich club owner who decided to spend his cash on the club, rather than duck tape ), that if things carried on as they were, he would be able to boast how he had taken Charlton into Europe for the first time.

I would have pointed out that he was already being picked regularly for the England squad, and that he was almost certainly going to be fourth or fifth choice behind the current Chelsea midfield, which may well jeapordise his chances of going to Portugal in the summer.

Finally I would have said that yes, he can double his earnings now. But a successful Euros, and a top six finish with Charlton would add to both his value and the choices of clubs available in the summer.
    First off, I dont just grab the cash as you so eloquently put it, I do however think with my head and not with my heart, unlike others .
    If you advised your son to stay when Chelsea come calling, then that would be foolish advice - its 10 year career in the top flight, if you are lucky, and a career ending busted leg or another bad injury can be just round the corner and then what? Nothing, thats what, a big pile of fuck all.
    Also the top 6 was not guaranteed, or Euro footy, being a hero at Charlton, so what, being a hero at Chelsea is bigger, playing for a team where he actually has a good chance to win some trophies had to be the correct choice. Going to Chelsea in no way had a negative impact on his England career, not when the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are way ahead of him, as much as Parker was a dick for the way he behaved his career has been good, he has played for some very big teams, bigger than us, he is financially secure for life, I dont suppose he loses any sleep.
    That is the reality, anyone who thinks otherwise is living in fairytale land!
    So, because I am among the people who disagree with your opinion, you can call me (us) dishonest, not grown up, foolish and living in fairytale land? And you get shirty about "moneygrabbing"? Blimey, sorry I upset you ducky. :wink:

I like that you tell me "top six wasn't guaranteed", and then start pontificating about some mythical broken leg that never happened either. I didn't realise the rules were that only Greenie is allowed to speculate, pardon me for breaking them...

If this fantasy injury had ended his career, then he most certainly would not have got "fuck all", as you so eloquently put it. He would have got a nice fat insurance pay out, probably the equivalent of his earnings from the entire length of the nice long lucrative contract Charlton had not long given him, and probably some more besides. More than I am ever likely to earn in a lifetime.

You also say that it didn't impact his England career. Prior to going to Chelsea he had been in the previous two England squads. He was in the next after his move. Then he became benchwarmer in chief and promptly vanished from the England squad until he left Stamford Bridge. He made two more appearances in the next six years. I think it is reasonable to suggest it impacted his England chances.

Finally you state the reason you consider it didn't impact his England career, was that Gerrard and Lampard were ahead of him. So if that is the case, surely the same applies to his club career? Yet you would have him trotting off to Chelsea where the aforementioned Lampard played, along with Joe Cole, Geremi, Duff, Gronkjaer, Petit, Stanic, Zenden, Smertin and Makelele...

Along with many others, I won't say all, because I don't claim to speak for everyone else, I saw Chelsea buying him for the sole purpose of him not going to a rival, I could see they had no ambition for him. If I were his father at that point in time, I would be failing him by not voicing that opinion. Chelsea went on to do exactly the same with Shaun Wright-Phillips and Steve Sidwell.

That is purely my opinion, I do not criticise yours, I just criticise that you feel the need to mock those that disagree with you, when you are expressing it.
  • Options

The way he wrangled his way out the club was disgusting. His son was a baby at the time but boy what a terrible example to set to your son and boy what a terrible father Scott Parker is to his son.

Flipping hell......one too many WKD's?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I was really pissed of at the circumstances surrounding his departure, however if he was one of my kids I would have encouraged him to join Chelsea. If I was a pro footballer and I was playing for little old Charlton and a big club like Chelski came knocking with a double wage offer, I'd be away quicker than Usain Bolt.

Why is it that people who would always grab the cash, want to convince themselves that everyone else is the same? If you are like that, and you are happy with it, that's absolutely fine Greenie, but why not accept that people like me are not like that? It truly baffles me.

I would have told my son that £20k A WEEK, is a huge amount of money, more than I am earning a year. I would have explained how staying at Charlton for just four more months would have made him a hero, something money can't buy ( unless you are a super-rich club owner who decided to spend his cash on the club, rather than duck tape ), that if things carried on as they were, he would be able to boast how he had taken Charlton into Europe for the first time.

I would have pointed out that he was already being picked regularly for the England squad, and that he was almost certainly going to be fourth or fifth choice behind the current Chelsea midfield, which may well jeapordise his chances of going to Portugal in the summer.

Finally I would have said that yes, he can double his earnings now. But a successful Euros, and a top six finish with Charlton would add to both his value and the choices of clubs available in the summer.
    First off, I dont just grab the cash as you so eloquently put it, I do however think with my head and not with my heart, unlike others .
    If you advised your son to stay when Chelsea come calling, then that would be foolish advice - its 10 year career in the top flight, if you are lucky, and a career ending busted leg or another bad injury can be just round the corner and then what? Nothing, thats what, a big pile of fuck all.
    Also the top 6 was not guaranteed, or Euro footy, being a hero at Charlton, so what, being a hero at Chelsea is bigger, playing for a team where he actually has a good chance to win some trophies had to be the correct choice. Going to Chelsea in no way had a negative impact on his England career, not when the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are way ahead of him, as much as Parker was a dick for the way he behaved his career has been good, he has played for some very big teams, bigger than us, he is financially secure for life, I dont suppose he loses any sleep.
    So, because I am among the people who disagree with your opinion, you can call me (us) dishonest, not grown up, foolish and living in fairytale land? And you get shirty about "moneygrabbing"? Blimey, sorry I upset you ducky. :wink:

Who on earth in the 21st century uses the word 'ducky'?

I like that you tell me "top six wasn't guaranteed", and then start pontificating about some mythical broken leg that never happened either. I didn't realise the rules were that only Greenie is allowed to speculate, pardon me for breaking them...

WTF, are you 5 years old, you know what I meant?

If this fantasy injury had ended his career, then he most certainly would not have got "fuck all", as you so eloquently put it. He would have got a nice fat insurance pay out, probably the equivalent of his earnings from the entire length of the nice long lucrative contract Charlton had not long given him, and probably some more besides. More than I am ever likely to earn in a lifetime.

Yes thats right, whenever a footballers agent negotiates a contract for a player the starting point is ' On Charlton Life Algarveaddick earns X amount, as long as my client earns more than him I am sure my client will be happy'. Also the Charlton contract insurance would not have paid him as much a the Chelsea one did, so if he was to break a leg.....?

You also say that it didn't impact his England career. Prior to going to Chelsea he had been in the previous two England squads. He was in the next after his move. Then he became benchwarmer in chief and promptly vanished from the England squad until he left Stamford Bridge. He made two more appearances in the next six years. I think it is reasonable to suggest it impacted his England chances.

HaHa - the best yet, you know and I know that Parker was never going to be first on the team sheet ahead of the names already mentioned, behave!

Finally you state the reason you consider it didn't impact his England career, was that Gerrard and Lampard were ahead of him. So if that is the case, surely the same applies to his club career? Yet you would have him trotting off to Chelsea where the aforementioned Lampard played, along with Joe Cole, Geremi, Duff, Gronkjaer, Petit, Stanic, Zenden, Smertin and Makelele...

Yes I would, as I have said, its a short career, he could break a leg, I may have mentioned that, so a player needs to earn as much as he can, after 40 years of age (if he's lucky) , its over.

Along with many others, I won't say all, because I don't claim to speak for everyone else, I saw Chelsea buying him for the sole purpose of him not going to a rival, I could see they had no ambition for him. If I were his father at that point in time, I would be failing him by not voicing that opinion. Chelsea went on to do exactly the same with Shaun Wright-Phillips and Steve Sidwell.

A fantastic conspiracy theory.

That is purely my opinion, I do not criticise yours, I just criticise that you feel the need to mock those that disagree with you, when you are expressing it.
    Feel free to criticise my opinion, it does not bother me at all, I'm a big boy, its a footy forum, open and honest debate is good, I can give it back, I will criticise yours if I feel the need.

Finally, I think a lot of fans got so upset at Parker leaving because they/we have an emotional tie to the club.

If Parker was playing for say, Gillingham (other teams are available), and Chelsea came calling, as outsiders looking in we would all say he would be mad to stay at the Gills. Head over heart all day long.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Who on earth in the 21st century uses the word 'ducky'? Great comeback, I am humbled, (You need to learn why people put smileys next to text on the internet Greenie).

WTF, are you 5 years old, you know what I meant? And you knew what I meant about top six, didn't you?

Yes thats right, whenever a footballers agent negotiates a contract for a player the starting point is ' On Charlton Life Algarveaddick earns X amount, as long as my client earns more than him I am sure my client will be happy'. Also the Charlton contract insurance would not have paid him as much a the Chelsea one did, so if he was to break a leg.....?

Why not respond to the statement? Why go off on another fantasy tangent? He was earning a MILLION POUNDS a year. Again, I will try to get you to understand what I am saying. If I earned £5m by the age of 23, and had the opportunity to then go into another career, I would be fucking ecstatic. I (that's me, not Rupert Murdoch, or you) am NOT THAT GREEDY D-O Y-O-U U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D. I would however want my son to maximise his chances by spending the rest of the season at a club where he is actually going to play...

HaHa - the best yet, you know and I know that Parker was never going to be first on the team sheet ahead of the names already mentioned, behave! Ha- ha yeah - ha ha behave - I said SQUAD, try reading what I write. If he was in THE SQUAD, and if Lampard has one of your broken leg things going on, then he's in the team. He's not in the team if he's not in the squad, is he...

Yes I would, as I have said, its a short career, he could break a leg, I may have mentioned that, so a player needs to earn as much as he can, after 40 years of age (if he's lucky) , its over. Can't argue with that - I disagree, but I shan't argue.

A fantastic conspiracy theory. You need to understand what a conspiracy is if you are going to use the term.

Feel free to criticise my opinion, it does not bother me at all, I'm a big boy, its a footy forum, open and honest debate is good, I can give it back, I will criticise yours if I feel the need. Again, if you read PROPERLY what I wrote, I am happy to criticise your opinion, and happy for you to criticise mine. Just don't think it's right to call others stupid because the don't agree with you, that's not open and honest debate, it's just impolite.

Finally, I think a lot of fans got so upset at Parker leaving because they/we have an emotional tie to the club.

If Parker was playing for say, Gillingham (other teams are available), and Chelsea came calling, as outsiders looking in we would all say he would be mad to stay at the Gills. Head over heart all day long.
  • Options
    iirc reading had gotten relegated when the signed sidwell (on a free), i think it was more filling their english players that they needed registered for the premier league/champs league at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who on earth in the 21st century uses the word 'ducky'? Great comeback, I am humbled, (You need to learn why people put smileys next to text on the internet Greenie).

WTF, are you 5 years old, you know what I meant? And you knew what I meant about top six, didn't you?

Why not respond to the statement? Why go off on another fantasy tangent? He was earning a MILLION POUNDS a year. Again, I will try to get you to understand what I am saying. If I earned £5m by the age of 23, and had the opportunity to then go into another career, I would be fucking ecstatic. I (that's me, not Rupert Murdoch, or you) am NOT THAT GREEDY D-O Y-O-U U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D. I would however want my son to maximise his chances by spending the rest of the season at a club where he is actually going to play...

HaHa - the best yet, you know and I know that Parker was never going to be first on the team sheet ahead of the names already mentioned, behave! Ha- ha yeah - ha ha behave - I said SQUAD, try reading what I write. If he was in THE SQUAD, and if Lampard has one of your broken leg things going on, then he's in the team. He's not in the team if he's not in the squad, is he...

Yes I would, as I have said, its a short career, he could break a leg, I may have mentioned that, so a player needs to earn as much as he can, after 40 years of age (if he's lucky) , its over. Can't argue with that - I disagree, but I shan't argue.

A fantastic conspiracy theory. You need to understand what a conspiracy is if you are going to use the term.

Feel free to criticise my opinion, it does not bother me at all, I'm a big boy, its a footy forum, open and honest debate is good, I can give it back, I will criticise yours if I feel the need. Again, if you read PROPERLY what I wrote, I am happy to criticise your opinion, and happy for you to criticise mine. Just don't think it's right to call others stupid because the don't agree with you, that's not open and honest debate, it's just impolite.

ZZZZZ, we can go back and forth all day long, you can throw in your snide insults (i'll just think 'bell' when I read them), but you are so wrong!
    One of us has to say it, you wont change my mind and I wont change your incorrect thinking!
    Scott Parker did the right thing for his career by leaving Charlton, I didnt like it at the time but I am (nearly) a grown up and I understand now why he did it, if people cant, then I cant change their minds, life is too short, move on!
  • Options
    The irony is that Parker made the wrong move at the wrong time. He should have gone to a Newcastle or Spurs at the end of that season.

However, as I've said previously, I can't seriously hold it against him after all this time that he went to Chelsea that January - because there's absolutely no guarantee that we would have made Europe anyway, because there's no guarantee that he would have remained fit or not suspended for the run in, because any young player would be flattered and have his head turned by the attentions of a top three Club, because he gave his all for us in his 150 plus games for us, because any Club will offload a good or bad player at the drop of a hat if it suits them but, most of all, because life really is too short to hold such grudges.
  • Options
    I saw Chelsea buying him for the sole purpose of him not going to a rival, I could see they had no ambition for him.

Rightly or wrongly, conspiracy theory or not, this is exactly as I saw it too.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    stonemuse said:

I saw Chelsea buying him for the sole purpose of him not going to a rival, I could see they had no ambition for him.

Rightly or wrongly, conspiracy theory or not, this is exactly as I saw it too.

We were right on their heals and were possibly their biggest threat for a place in Europe.....unsettling him ( mainly orchestrated by John Terry) and then signing him was a master stroke on their part......two birds with one stone.
    And we swallowed it.........hook line and sinker!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

ZZZZZ, we can go back and forth all day long, you can throw in your snide insults (i'll just think 'bell' when I read them), but you are so wrong!
    One of us has to say it, you wont change my mind and I wont change your incorrect thinking!
    Scott Parker did the right thing for his career by leaving Charlton, I didnt like it at the time but I am (nearly) a grown up and I understand now why he did it, if people cant, then I cant change their minds, life is too short, move on!

I leave others to judge.
  • Options

iirc reading had gotten relegated when the signed sidwell (on a free), i think it was more filling their english players that they needed registered for the premier league/champs league at the time.

Might well be the case, they still had no intention of playing him ahead of the players they had.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

The way he wrangled his way out the club was disgusting. His son was a baby at the time but boy what a terrible example to set to your son and boy what a terrible father Scott Parker is to his son.

I know his family in passing - really nice by the way - and am interested in what gives you the right to comment on his parenting skills?! And as a professional footballer you think he should put his career second ( and in so doing not do the best for his son) by remaining at Charlton whatever the cost? Wow.
  • Options
    Here we go again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Here we go again!

It’s one of the great what ifs that will go in for ever.

SP did what he no doubt thought right for him and given the money and his career who is to say he was wrong ?

What is true, however, is we all know after that game on Boxing Day he was flying and so were charlton and it’s reasonable to think that had he remained fit then it would be hard to see how he wouldn’t have been part of the England team in that summer’s Euros. Playing his normal game on that stage could well have opened up a whole new path and opportunities.
  • Options
    "‘You can buy a computer game or some trainers now by pressing a couple of buttons on your phone. Going to buy a pair of trainers was a big deal for me. Save up go to the shopping centre, walk in and pray they had my size.

‘Then the lady said: “We haven’t got size 8” and it was the end of the world.

‘Now you ask if those doses of reality exist to these young kids."

Is he saying that for England to do well at big tournaments the young kids need to buy more trainers?
  • Options
    lol at him leaving Chelsea a better player and lol at the idea of him being any kind of example to youngsters.