Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For those still attending - at what point will you stop going?

124»

Comments

• Options

cabbles said:

@East_Stand_Loopy can't imagine what you're going through. I can only hope that the staff at the brilliant GOSH continue to do all they can for your grand daughter and I'm sure you are doing a great job for your daughter in being there for both of them

My thoughts are with you

The staff at GOSH are magnificent, and have never once given up on Skye, even last February when she was in a chemically induced coma.

Forgive me if I don't understand why people get so incredibly involved in a football match.

It wasn't Bury beating Charlton that kept me awake all night. It was wondering if I'll ever see my Granddaughter again. Which has made me a little over emotional today...
    No need for an explanation - as I said I can't even begin to imagine. Sending my best wishes for you and your family
  • Options
    Well said, vff.

Thinking of you & you dear family at this desperate time, @East_Stand_Loopy .
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Ed. Not giving him airtime on here
  • Options
    Say that again
  • Options
    edited February 2017

A man using an obscenity on social media to complain about others supposedly shouting obscenities. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

JaShea99 said:

imageimage

A man using an obscenity on social media to complain about others supposedly shouting obscenities. You couldn't make it up.
    Oh yes you could Airman this is attention seeking Nathan who was in favour of introducing a toll for the Blackwall Tunnel IIRC.
  • Options
    24 Red said:

There seem to be 3 reasons people have stopped going, or are considering not going:

1. The football is rubbish and we rarely win. I can't argue with that, but if it's your reason are you not by definition a 'fair weather' supporter & aren't you making the 'customer choice' that we criticised Meire for implying should be the basis for attending games?

2. People have fallen out of love with football in the modern age. Again, reasonable enough although not a problem limited to CAFC, and arguably it is more of a problem the more successful the team is.

3. As part of the anti-regime protest. I thought seriously about this one and nearly didn't renew my season ticket as a result. In the end I didn't think the regime would care enough so it wasn't worth cutting off my nose to spite my face.

I'm not the world's greatest Charlton fun - I don't go to away games and miss several home games every season - and I'm not being holier than thou about it, but I reckon the only reason I would ever stop going is if CAFC moved out of London.

I think there's a fourth. The atmosphere. Since RD took over it's been toxic there. Increasingly I found myself leaving the place feeling miserable, partly because of all of the above but some of the abuse our own players and some managers got left me questioning why bother? Not saying people are wrong to voice their anger it just seemed at times like there was so much hate and quite a few times it was directed at people clearly undeserving of it.

I still go but it's very occasionally these days. Since last season it's a handful of home games and a couple of away games. I think it's understandable people questioning why bother when you're getting beat every week but a lot of the time you can be fairly sure as a football fan things will turn.

And that's the problem, it's so hard to see and end in sight. I pray that something changes and I'm in the camp that's if he did decide to run the club properly, not asset strip all the young talent, back a manager properly, get a competent CEO in and listen to the fans that I'd be willing to go regularly again. But I think we all know there's zero chance of all that happening.
  • Options

Have supported Charlton since the late 50's and lived through the Michael Glikstein era but always believed a better and successful future was around the corner and that we would rise again like the Phoenix. When the good days did finally arrive and opposition supporters sang where were you when you were s*!t, I could tell them standing on the East terrace. I was considered hard core supporter in those days and part of the 4/5000 when crowds had dwindled to there lowest.

My Dad was a fanatic Charlton supporter and brainwashed me and my brother in to the cause, albeit he might not have seen it as a penance seeing they had been a successful club up till that time.

Like all on here I lived and breathed CAFC and was a regular season ticket holder and carried on as a ST holder at Selhurst & Upton Park. I always made it clear to people connected with the club during that period I was against Charlton playing outside of its natural area but I went.

This time it is different.

I boycotted on a matter of principal. If the club has no ambition to win matches and the intention is not about football, then what is the point. Turning up solely for social gathering/dancing as RD believes is not what English football is about. Passion etc forget it, that becomes lost or meaningless with out intention to be competitive.

Duchatelet should have bought Corinthian Casuals not Charlton Athletic then he would be happy and so would we.

Boycotting was not an easy decision. My brother died in 2013 and his Daughter & Son (CAFC supporter) placed his ashes at the Valley.

With regard to next generation of Charlton fans, we will miss out as we did during our years in exile. My brothers daughter has 3 young boys who would have been taken to the Valley by myself and his son, this won't happen as things stand. KM stating that older supporters are basically surplus to the clubs requirements shows a complete lack of brain power as each Dad or Uncle brings the next generation of fans.

Great post. I know she'd probably shrug her shoulders and say 'your choice' but this should be emailed to her
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have supported Charlton since the late 50's and lived through the Michael Glikstein era but always believed a better and successful future was around the corner and that we would rise again like the Phoenix. When the good days did finally arrive and opposition supporters sang where were you when you were s*!t, I could tell them standing on the East terrace. I was considered hard core supporter in those days and part of the 4/5000 when crowds had dwindled to there lowest.

My Dad was a fanatic Charlton supporter and brainwashed me and my brother in to the cause, albeit he might not have seen it as a penance seeing they had been a successful club up till that time.

Like all on here I lived and breathed CAFC and was a regular season ticket holder and carried on as a ST holder at Selhurst & Upton Park. I always made it clear to people connected with the club during that period I was against Charlton playing outside of its natural area but I went.

This time it is different.

I boycotted on a matter of principal. If the club has no ambition to win matches and the intention is not about football, then what is the point. Turning up solely for social gathering/dancing as RD believes is not what English football is about. Passion etc forget it, that becomes lost or meaningless with out intention to be competitive.

Duchatelet should have bought Corinthian Casuals not Charlton Athletic then he would be happy and so would we.

Boycotting was not an easy decision. My brother died in 2013 and his Daughter & Son (CAFC supporter) placed his ashes at the Valley.

With regard to next generation of Charlton fans, we will miss out as we did during our years in exile. My brothers daughter has 3 young boys who would have been taken to the Valley by myself and his son, this won't happen as things stand. KM stating that older supporters are basically surplus to the clubs requirements shows a complete lack of brain power as each Dad or Uncle brings the next generation of fans.

Second what cabbles said - great post.

I feel your pain.
  • Options
    KM should be asked to respond to Striker Firmanis post.
    All this " we learn from mistakes" if true respond to this post.
    She is so mad and useless that the, do not care about older supporters sentiments are a major part of ruining the club.
    Keep the deluded regime supporters away- just get KM to respond to this post.
  • Options
    Could be playing into Roland's hands if everyone stopped going, need to hit them on many fronts
  • Options

Been going since 1974, crowds of 3000, Selhurst, Upton Park etc.
    Been to one game since the start of last season (Boro protest match).
    It's nothing to do with not winning - I went to every home game in the 79-80 season which was one shite season.

It's the way this club is run, the lies and the incompetence of those in charge.
    Above all, when an owner doesn't give a monkey's about winning football matches, when that's not his top priority- what is the point ?
    Every pre season will see us have an inadequate squad. Every transfer window will see young talent sold to be replaced by cheap tat or loanees.

I would rather Gliksten, Hulyer and Sunley form a conglomerate to take us over than put up with the current mob.

Agreed - if the owner doesn't care about the team winning or being successful then what's the point?
    RD has royally shafted our club....
  • Options

Been over in the Uk for the last 2 weeks so potentially 4 times I could have seen Charlton either home or away. In previous years it would have been a no brainer, desperate to get my fix I would have gone up north and probably dragged my son along.

This time round I didn't bother once, didn't listen to the games or even care much about the result, it will be a long road back from there I think.

Likewise we have been over twice since November. Didn't bother.
    I left the UK in 93, and ever since then I have averaged about 5-6 games a season, pretty constant whether in FAPL or 3rd Div under Parky and SCP. In all that time can never remember being over, and choosing not to go to a game. After all, it's a chance to see my beloved Valley, catch up with everyone, be at the Trust stall if it is there.

Planned a trip over to see my Mum and thought I would at least go to the Scunthorpe game on Tuesday. Then suddenly after the latest debacle, I thought, hang on a minute. I'm already zooming off to Belgium when my Mum thought I would be around. She knows how much Charlton means to me, but she is nearly 90. Do I really want to go down to a dead Valley to see a broken team, rather than spend some precious time with my Mum, maybe pop down to the Long Pond and follow the updates over a decent pint?

So for the first time since the first few months at Selhurst, I could go to a Charlton home game, and just don't have the appetite.

When people like @Algarveaddick (a big Valley party activist) and I feel this way, that's a sign they really are losing core support.

• Options
    I renewed for a couple of reasons, but if the Rat and Liar are still here next season I wont be going until they are gone.
    The apathy regarding protests in the ground is crazy, I still maintain that it is best to protest in the ground, if only to keep the spotlight on CAFCs issues, because we have had no in ground protests most of my footballing friends think everything is OK at The Valley. There is no point in attending games any more, until they have gone, my only issue is that if no one attends then there is no need for a stadium in Charlton and The Rat will just sell the land...and then what?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Greenie said:

I renewed for a couple of reasons, but if the Rat and Liar are still here next season I wont be going until they are gone.
    The apathy regarding protests in the ground is crazy, I still maintain that it is best to protest in the ground, if only to keep the spotlight on CAFCs issues, because we have had no in ground protests most of my footballing friends think everything is OK at The Valley. There is no point in attending games any more, until they have gone, my only issue is that if no one attends then there is no need for a stadium in Charlton and The Rat will just sell the land...and then what?

I doubt the land is worth more then a potential new owner would pay RD for the club, as any new owner would know that thousands of Charlton fans will come flooding back for that first game and that our club can be built in to a success(based on the past 25 years) with smart investment in quality on & off the pitch.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Greenie said:

I doubt the land is worth more then a potential new owner would pay RD for the club, as any new owner would know that thousands of Charlton fans will come flooding back for that first game and that our club can be built in to a success(based on the past 25 years) with smart investment in quality on & off the pitch.
    Without planning consent the land is worth less than the club. Getting permission would take years and is highly uncertain. Even then it is questionable if RD could even cover his loans once the cost of demolition, contamination and soil issues, construction and developer profit are all factored in. And he still has to pay the former directors £7m.

There are major access issues. Basically there are lots of sites even in Charlton that will yield a bigger profit for a developer. That is the best protection we have.
  • Options
    I have tried to stop going and couldn't it is just part of my DNA. Been attending for over 50 years and no I don't enjoy it at the moment. I take my Grandchildren and even their enthusiasm is waning but will continue to go because I am a Charlton supporter no rational reason to go but do. Cant wait for a change and despair at what has become of my club. Still think Robinson has something about him which may change things for the better on the field but know that is only papering over the cracks at my beloved club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't. The only way these idiots will get the message is if everyone stops going.

As an idiot, I don't know, i will see out this season, circumstances unless they change may mean I don't buy an ST next season. As ever the incentive to buy includes being called an idiot. as it was last season.

Agreed though that there is little joy in it, but Charlton are my club and watching them is what i do, and I've been called worse than an idiot.
  • Options
    Beaten myself up over this, have said a few times "no more" and believed it. I always end up going. I think, whilst I accept people's reasons for not going, I've made peace with myself now. If I was going to stop, I would have done so by now.

Kept my North Upper season ticket this year but will probably go for the cheaper option next season.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Don't. The only way these idiots will get the message is if everyone stops going.

As an idiot, I don't know, i will see out this season, circumstances unless they change may mean I don't buy an ST next season. As ever the incentive to buy includes being called an idiot. as it was last season.

Agreed though that there is little joy in it, but Charlton are my club and watching them is what i do, and I've been called worse than an idiot.
    He's calling the owners idiots, not the fans .....
  • Options
    For me it's the toxic atmosphere, the happy clappies in the lower west, the fact that there's no sense of identity with the players or manager, bar JJ and Solly. I can stand crap football, disappointing results and even relegation. We've all been through before.
    What's intolerable is the smugness of the incompetents running the club, the sociopathic owner who, in his blind arrogance, makes no attempt to understand what motivates his customers to come, and the sheer fucking pointlessness of the whole experience.
    I will be at Northampton on Saturday only because im meeting my oldest friend who I haven't seen for 18 months and we are out for beer afterwards.
    I don't care about the football. But with everyone else in Belgium, I feel a responsibility to shout rude things at that stupid CEO. I expect we won't stay to the final whistle. The whole thing is a shit show.
  • Options
    Missed fewer than 10 home league games since 93 until this season Will probably match that total this season Any alternative activity for a Saturday sees me elsewhere and Tuesday evenings hold no attraction at all. If my S/T is renewed for me again as it was last summer I'll inevitably come to a few next season for family reasons Roly has had no money from me since 2015 and I can't see that changing, ever. If the toxic pantomime rolls on I'll see very few more performances and I vehemently resent how that has come to pass