Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slight car bump - advice please

Comments

• Options
    Assuming the car isn't just off the forecourt and has some 'wear n tear', tell them it's 2 options.
    1, you have a go yourself in the next week or so and if they aren't satisfied they'll have to deal with your girlfriend.
    2, wait until girlfriend gets back and deal with her making sure you let them know your girlfriend wants to go through insurance.

Whatever you do I'd take pics of the damage so if anything happens between now and whenever you settle, you are only settling on the damage you did.
  • Options

Assuming the car isn't just off the forecourt and has some 'wear n tear', tell them it's 2 options.
    1, you have a go yourself in the next week or so and if they aren't satisfied they'll have to deal with your girlfriend.
    2, wait until girlfriend gets back and deal with her making sure you let them know your girlfriend wants to go through insurance.

Whatever you do I'd take pics of the damage so if anything happens between now and whenever you settle, you are only settling on the damage you did.

Thanks

I've got photos from the day it happened....
  • Options
    Seems like they've bumped/scratched the car since your girlfriends incident and now want you to pay for that as well. They haven't just woken up one morning 5 weeks later and thought "you know what, we should make them pay for that scratch"

• Options

Thanks

If you've got photos from the day it happened then that should stop any fictitious claims. If the bump is as minor as you say it's not worth them going through the insurance.
    I'm assuming they have insurance and that their car is taxed etc?
    Any quote from a half decent garage is going to be cheaper than involving insurance unless they are trying to rip you off....
  • Options

Wait for the quote, if it's ridiculously high, ask them to try someone like chips away. If they won't, tell them you'll go through the insurance.

Thanks not heard of Chips away but there is one 10 mins away. I'll suggest that.
    I have used Chips Away a few times and can highly recommend them
  • Options

Thanks

If you've got photos from the day it happened then that should stop any fictitious claims. If the bump is as minor as you say it's not worth them going through the insurance.
    I'm assuming they have insurance and that their car is taxed etc?
    Any quote from a half decent garage is going to be cheaper than involving insurance unless they are trying to rip you off....
    Yeah neither of us want insurance involved... Yes their car is taxed and I'd assume insured... I'm gonna wait for the quote and see! Hopefully it's reasonable and I'll just take the hit...
  • Options

Wait for the quote, if it's ridiculously high, ask them to try someone like chips away. If they won't, tell them you'll go through the insurance.

Thanks not heard of Chips away but there is one 10 mins away. I'll suggest that.
    I have used Chips Away a few times and can highly recommend them
    Great! I'll ask for their second Quote to be from there...
  • Options
    Do they have any evidence of you hitting their vehicle, or any evidence of you admitting to it? If not, it is their word against yours. They won't be able to claim through your insurance with any proof.

The could potentially report it to the police, but then the police will require evidence to prove it too.

If there's no evidence and they start being funny about it I really wouldn't worry and just deny it. You don't know what they are talking about right?
  • Options
    SexyDave said:

Do they have any evidence of you hitting their vehicle, or any evidence of you admitting to it? If not, it is their word against yours. They won't be able to claim through your insurance with any proof.

The could potentially report it to the police, but then the police will require evidence to prove it too.

If there's no evidence and they start being funny about it I really wouldn't worry and just deny it. You don't know what they are talking about right?

Hopefully it won't come to that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    As it's your word against theirs, turn it around. Get the damaged repaired/polished out on your own car then say what bang, don't know what your on about.

Donkeys years ago exactly the same thing happened to my wife. Minor scuffs to both cars and she held her hands up to the other driver and offered to sort it by cash. Next thing we are getting ridiculous quotes for like £500 which was a fortune back then and the guy got well lippy, proper billy big bollox. So, having been an industrial paint sprayer for years, I sorted my wife's car then said prove it. He was simply trying to con my missus and I took great satisfaction getting one over him.

• Options

If someone hit my car (an inconvenience to me), i'd expect them to repair my car to the standard it was before at the very minimum.

If you offered to go to halfords and buy a load of crap to fix it yourself, i'd give you a labotomy.

If someone hit my car (an inconvenience to me), i'd expect them to repair my car to the standard it was before at the very minimum.

If you offered to go to halfords and buy a load of crap to fix it yourself, i'd give you a labotomy.

Just for the record it's lobotomy. Ask Roland, he should know.
  • Options
    Smash their car up where the scratches are then they will have to claim on their insurance to get that fixed anyway.

• Options
    I bet I know what's happened

They were cool about it at the time because they were probably not expecting the face to face honesty and have since had time to dwell on it and change their mind. We've all done it

They are possibly being a bit shit at the same time. Could be that they've had a row about how it was dealt with or are on a power trip.

Keep the moral high ground, keep offering to get it sorted, I don't understand why they wouldn't let you try to Polish it out but if they are adamant they want that particular damage sorted professionally you can arrange quotes yourself too. Can you put a photo on here and I'll give you an idea if it can be corrected by a mortal or if it has to be done by a pro
  • Options

Smash their car up where the scratches are then they will have to claim on their insurance to get that fixed anyway.

Whenever problems with neighbours were aired on Pistonheads the standard response was to hammer some frozen sausages into the neighbour's front lawn. You could try that. Here's what I believe is the original thread pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1268304&mid=50472&i=0&nmt=Idiotic+Neighbour%21&mid=50472.

Someone then did a control experiment (not quite under laboratory conditions) on this thread pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1352942&i=0

They both make for an amusing read. In any event, I wouldn't recommend taking the "bum his dog" option favoured by some.

• Options

Carter said:

They were cool about it at the time because they were probably not expecting the face to face honesty and have since had time to dwell on it and change their mind. We've all done it

They are possibly being a bit shit at the same time. Could be that they've had a row about how it was dealt with or are on a power trip.

Keep the moral high ground, keep offering to get it sorted, I don't understand why they wouldn't let you try to Polish it out but if they are adamant they want that particular damage sorted professionally you can arrange quotes yourself too. Can you put a photo on here and I'll give you an idea if it can be corrected by a mortal or if it has to be done by a pro

I've got some red T/cut Canters.
  • Options
    Go visit your girlfriend in Switzerland, book an appointment at one of the "special doctors" out there... good luck getting your £100 now Mr. and Mrs. Knobhead from two doors down.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Yeah that is quite possibly what has happened. I am still offering to pay and am happy to pay. I just don't want them to see a student who doesn't have a clue what he's doing and take me for a ride...

I'll try and post so pictures up later when I'm not on my phone. But I've never managed to post a picture on here so no promises...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha, your exact case is on Judge Rinder now.
  • Options

Don't watch daytime TV..
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Don't watch daytime TV..
    Don't blame you it's shite. I'll let you know the outcome.
  • Options
    Actually, a bloke nudged the back of a woman's car at the traffic lights, causing very minimal damage.

She took it to the approved dealer and was quoted £432. He said too much, suggested an alternative quote, but never provided her with an alternative, so she was awarded £432.

He should have arranged a mutually convenient appointment at say Chipsaway and then I think the judge would have gone with the lower quote, assuming it was reasonable & a credible garage.

So it seems to me your lady has to get at least one reasonable quote of your choice.
  • Options
    You can get a quote from Chipsaway based on a photograph.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Whenever problems with neighbours were aired on Pistonheads the standard response was to hammer some frozen sausages into the neighbour's front lawn. You could try that. Here's what I believe is the original thread pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1268304&mid=50472&i=0&nmt=Idiotic+Neighbour%21&mid=50472.

Someone then did a control experiment (not quite under laboratory conditions) on this thread pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1352942&i=0

They both make for an amusing read. In any event, I wouldn't recommend taking the "bum his dog" option favoured by some.

That is brilliant

"Bum his dog.

If he doesn't own a dog buy him one. Then bum it.

It's the only way it'll work. "

From now on that'll be my go to answer to any of life's problems
  • Options
    Get the Palace Ultras round to pay an early morning visit to decorate their car.

That'll learn em.
  • Options

I'll cut to the chase. The boyfriend got 5 years.

Bloody heck... Usually on the Chase you either won a large sum of money or if you were a bit of a coward you had money deducted from what the rest of the team had won - Being thrown in prison for 5-years for having to answer barely any questions is a bit harsh though
  • Options
    It is a drag mate, but a chipsaway quote for the photographed area is the maximum you should pay even if they get a quote. Will still work out as quite a bit if you're a student, but don't claim on insurance and don't be browbeaten.
    You have acted well at each step along the way, write a record of your actions if it might help, and remain civil at all times.
    Put it down to experience.