Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slight car bump - advice please

124»

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:

Make them go through the insurance. I'm sure their insurance will want to know why there's been such a delay in advising them.

They're bluffing.

This

Nobody wants to do shit like this through the insurance and lose or affect their no claims bonus

Or see it that it's 144 quid and remove them from your life and mark them down as arseholes
    It will be against his GF's insurance so why will they care - they can even claim back their excess as well.

Pay the £144 & put it down to experience.
  • Options

Carter said:

Make them go through the insurance. I'm sure their insurance will want to know why there's been such a delay in advising them.

They're bluffing.

This

Nobody wants to do shit like this through the insurance and lose or affect their no claims bonus

Or see it that it's 144 quid and remove them from your life and mark them down as arseholes
    It will be against his GF's insurance so why will they care - they can even claim back their excess as well.

Yep that's what I'm doing. Can't help feeling like I've been mugged off a bit though.
  • Options

Carter said:

They're bluffing.

This

That's not quite true. Their premium will also rise because they've been in an accident, even if not their fault.
    I'd go through insurance out of spite.
  • Options
    I would go through the insurance. It'll hurt for a couple of years but it'll all be done legit and the nutters next door will have no come back on you. If you pay the 144 quid and then they comeback saying the work cost more than quoted and demanding more money, what happens then.

The missus recently backed into a car parked outside someone's house while she was leaving work. It has left a minor scratch on both her and the other persons car, so much so we're not likely to even get her's fixed or I'll just polish it out.

Being a good person the missus went and knocked on the door and owned up. Straight away it was clear she was a headcase though. My wife had to talk the other person into exchanging her insurance details (she wanted to just take my wife's) and my wife was confronted by someone else at the address shouting the odds about being a witness and having filmed the whole thing (a bit pointless as my wife was owning up and admitting liability). Next day the woman was in the reception of my wife's work accusing her of leaving fake details and later that day put a note in the rear window of her car asking people not to crash into her car! We had to get our insurance to call her's and ask them to call her telling her it was being handled and to back off.

If we'd paid her in cash for the repairs, I highly suspect my wife would still be getting hassled.
  • Options
    Don't pay it! if they go through their insurance they are stupid and its unlikely its more than there excess, i work in home insurance FYI and just doesn't make sense due to the cost.

Personally if you want to be nice , you could just offer half would be fairly reasonable in my opinion. You have done everything you can to try and settle up to now and they have now suddenly rushed into getting work done and not even getting your approval so if they have annoyed you enough or you don't care just tell them to go through insurance, 95% wont bother and even if they do just deny liability have they got anything written from you to confirm you will pay/ accept responsibility?
  • Options

Don't pay it! if they go through their insurance they are stupid and its unlikely its more than there excess, i work in home insurance FYI and just doesn't make sense due to the cost.

Personally if you want to be nice , you could just offer half would be fairly reasonable in my opinion. You have done everything you can to try and settle up to now and they have now suddenly rushed into getting work done and not even getting your approval so if they have annoyed you enough or you don't care just tell them to go through insurance, 95% wont bother and even if they do just deny liability have they got anything written from you to confirm you will pay/ accept responsibility?

Cheers. Sounds like a lot of hassle. But may be ow worth it.
  • Options
    Um, if they go through their insurance, it won't cost them anything will it?

They will tell their insurance company someone has bumped into them and admitted guilt.

Their insurance company will go to @cantersaddick or his missus company and @cantersaddick will lose his no claims, the guy with the car will lose nothing.
  • Options

Um, if they go through their insurance, it won't cost them anything will it?

They will tell their insurance company someone has bumped into them and admitted guilt.

Their insurance company will go to @cantersaddick or his missus company and @cantersaddick will lose his no claims, the guy with the car will lose nothing.

Not necessarily. First off insurance companies' policy booklets say that you are required to tell them even if it's a no fault claim and even if there is no claim by either party they want to know about an accident of any description for "information only".
    Car insurers know from experience that an individual who has made one no fault declaration will be more likely than someone who hasn't to have a further claim. They will also speculate on why there has been a delay in reporting the event. They will be suspicious. Add to that, the fact that experience will tell them that a car hit in it's regular parking place is much more likely to be hit again in the same place and next time the perp might do a runner. On that basis, I'd expect their next renewal notice to have a significantly higher premium on it even if they have protected no claims bonus.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

tell them to go through the insurance.
    It will be hassle to them.

Your girlfriend will dump you one day and you will not care if her insurance has gone up by a couple of quid.

Jeez ouch!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    This may sound gross to some, how many BJs can you get for your £144?