Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slight car bump - advice please

Comments

• Options
    Is she likely to come back to your Uni after her placement ?
    If not just say you have split up.
  • Options
    Can we have an update please ?
  • Options
    Sorry couldn't resist
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Well done to you for owning up mate.

I got a brand new car 2 years ago.

Within a week someone drove into the front of it, caving in the passenger side whilst it was parked then drove off.

A week later someone must have slammed a car door into the drivers side door leaving a large dent, no details left.

Then a month or so ago, someone drove into the back taking out one of the lights whilst it was parked... And drove off.

Destroyed any chance of no claims for me and none of it my fault. Really hacked off. When did it become the norm for people not to leave details when they have actually driven into your car. There is a large lack of personal responsibility in many walks of life now sadly.
  • Options

Well done to you for owning up mate.

I got a brand new car 2 years ago.

Within a week someone drove into the front of it, caving in the passenger side whilst it was parked then drove off.

A week later someone must have slammed a car door into the drivers side door leaving a large dent, no details left.

Then a month or so ago, someone drove into the back taking out one of the lights whilst it was parked... And drove off.

Destroyed any chance of no claims for me and none of it my fault. Really hacked off. When did it become the norm for people not to leave details when they have actually driven into your car. There is a large lack of personal responsibility in many walks of life now sadly.

Remind me not to ask the first wife to go and buy a lottery ticket. The odds of her parking next to you three times must be far greater.

PM me and I'll give you her address.
  • Options

Of course. Sorry. Other things took over. So as I said the girlfriend is out the country so it shouldn't really be my problem to deal with. I passed them onto her dad who will deal with anything.

As it stand we have got our own quite a from photos taken. Dentmaster and chips away both quoted less than £50.

They have yet to come back to us with a quote from their garage.

It's been well over two months since the initial incident. I'm told by a friend who is a copper that as they haven't notified either us or the insurers they have lost a legal right to claim. Our policy is that if they come back with a quote similar to ours we will pay it. If they try and piss us around we will tell then where to shove it.

And this is why plod should stick to coppering and stay well away from more esoteric concepts like civil law.

First, the other party is under no obligation to claim against their own insurers. The only obligation they have is to let them know "for information only".

Second, if they wish to pursue another party, The Limitations Act 1980 provides a period of 6 years for general tort claims.

That said, before any small claims case has a chance of being accepted, there would have to be a "letter before action" to the individual responsible, setting out the nature of the loss/damages. The court would expect the parties involved to have made every effort to have reached a settlement prior to the initiation of formal proceedings. Clearly your neighbours haven't (yet) done that.

It seems to me that the other party has decided just to deal with it themselves. BUT it's clear it's still worrying you, so why don't you and her Dad just ask them? And keep a record of their answer.

One further thing: I would expect that a court would take the view (especially if it was a newish car) that the owner was entitled to have the repair carried out properly. I say this because many manufacturers provide a 10-year (or whatever) warranty on bodywork. BUT only on the basis that any repairs are carried out by an approved agent. The aggrieved party would IMO be entitled to expect that their warranty remained intact. On that basis telling the other party to "shove it" may not be a good idea.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Of course. Sorry. Other things took over. So as I said the girlfriend is out the country so it shouldn't really be my problem to deal with. I passed them onto her dad who will deal with anything.

As it stand we have got our own quite a from photos taken. Dentmaster and chips away both quoted less than £50.

They have yet to come back to us with a quote from their garage.

It's been well over two months since the initial incident. I'm told by a friend who is a copper that as they haven't notified either us or the insurers they have lost a legal right to claim. Our policy is that if they come back with a quote similar to ours we will pay it. If they try and piss us around we will tell then where to shove it.

And this is why plod should stick to coppering and stay well away from more esoteric concepts like civil law.

First, the other party is under no obligation to claim against their own insurers. The only obligation they have is to let them know "for information only".

Second, if they wish to pursue another party, The Limitations Act 1980 provides a period of 6 years for general tort claims.

That said, before any small claims case has a chance of being accepted, there would have to be a "letter before action" to the individual responsible, setting out the nature of the loss/damages. The court would expect the parties involved to have made every effort to have reached a settlement prior to the initiation of formal proceedings. Clearly your neighbours haven't (yet) done that.

It seems to me that the other party has decided just to deal with it themselves. BUT it's clear it's still worrying you, so why don't you and her Dad just ask them? And keep a record of their answer.

One further thing: I would expect that a court would take the view (especially if it was a newish car) that the owner was entitled to have the repair carried out properly. I say this because many manufacturers provide a 10-year (or whatever) warranty on bodywork. BUT only on the basis that any repairs are carried out by an approved agent. The aggrieved party would IMO be entitled to expect that their warranty remained intact. On that basis telling the other party to "shove it" may not be a good idea.
    Fair ebough. He told me that they had to notify us within 7 days that they intended to do something with it... he may well be wrong.

As I said I am happy to pay if their Quote is similar to ours. If they take the piss with it I'll order to pay up to our highest Quote. That's what I meant rather than shove it.

No their car isn't new. There are plenty of other scratches/marks on the car.

I'm not particularly worried about it. I was at first as it was left for me to deal with and I was worried they'd try and mug us off. We now have it all under control.

We have spoken to them on 4 occasions. It was only the most recent of these when they said they had decided to get it sorted. Before that they'd told us they didn't care and weren't gonna get it sorted. That was 6 weeks after the bump. It's now over 9 weeks since and we haven't heard any more...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    So 4 months after the incident and 3 months after she changed her mind she comes back round with a quote for £144. Considerably more than our quotes. To top it off its booked in tomorrow. There is no opportunity for us to get a second Quote and I was pretty much told 'if you don't pay it we will go through insurance'.

In the intervening 3 months we've spoken plenty of times and nothing has been mentioned. They've also got the car cleaned and you can barely see it. Given the other marks/dents on their car this is the least of their worries.

Am I being taken for a ride

I also have exam's tomorrow and the day after so could really do without this...

Wasn't even me who hit their car ffs. Why am I dealing with it!!!
  • Options
    How did you know I had a prang in my car today
  • Options
    Tell them to go through the insurance
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Tell them to go through the insurance

Why? I think that's the last thing I want... at 22 our car insurance is high enough. Don't want to lose no claims.
  • Options
    Sounds like they're trying to bully you into paying. Do you have the quotes you got in writing?
  • Options

Sounds like they're trying to bully you into paying. Do you have the quotes you got in writing?

That's what I'm worried about..

Well my girlfriends dad has them. They're quotes from photos so not firm but we were told around £50 by 2 places...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    What was their reaction to your quotes ? Presumably you gave them the quotes ?

Why not offer them £50 in full and final settlement as per the quotes you submitted to them ?

If they agree, get it in writing, what the payment is for & state full & final settlement.

Maybe check on the net for suitable wording.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

What was their reaction to your quotes ? Presumably you gave them the quotes ?

Why not offer them £50 in full and final settlement as per the quotes you submitted to them ?

If they agree, get it in writing, what the payment is for & state full & final settlement.

Maybe check on the net for suitable wording.

Cheers. Yes I said we had quotes of £50 from photos. I don't have anything to show as they're with the girlfriends dad (it's her car but she's in the middle of a 5 month stint in Geneva). They basically said this is our garage where we want it done so pay it or we will get insurance involved.

I'm gonna speak to them properly after my exam tomorrow. Head wasn't really there for debating it is was more concentrating on the Common Agricultural Policy. I'm gonna try and get the girlfriends Dad to call them and sort it out. Really shouldnt be on me to sort...

That's helpful though cheers.
  • Options
    Good idea. Ask him to sort it out. Problem solved.

Taking a step back, in the grand scheme of things, £144 isn't the end of the world.
    If it came to it & for all the grief, it may well be worth him paying up.
  • Options

Taking a step back, in the grand scheme of things, £144 isn't the end of the world.

It means no post exam beers if I have to pay it! :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get the girlfriend's dad to pay. It's really not down to you. Just say you haven't got it (if you have to).
  • Options
    edited May 2017

THIS. I thought you were talking £500 + It will be a lot more expensive in the long run if it goes through your insurance. Pay up & put in down to experience.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    They will not go through insurance, they are bluffing.... Their excess will be more then £150 so they wont be able to! offer them what you were prepared to originally if you want to be nice or tell them to do one!
  • Options
    Sure it's not a massive amount if money but it's 3 times our quote. Add in the time between the events plus the changes of mind plus existing damage on the car. I think they've seen some students and are trying to take advantage.

Moral of the story, teach the GF how to park.
  • Options
    Make them go through the insurance. I'm sure their insurance will want to know why there's been such a delay in advising them.

They're bluffing.
  • Options

Make them go through the insurance. I'm sure their insurance will want to know why there's been such a delay in advising them.

They're bluffing.

This

Nobody wants to do shit like this through the insurance and lose or affect their no claims bonus

Or see it that it's 144 quid and remove them from your life and mark them down as arseholes
  • Options
    If you reckon you can polish the scratch out why not just do it in the middle of the night and then just deny it later ?
  • Options
    Tell them your girlfriend's run off with a well known local Triad and that you'll pass their details onto him if they like.