Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Scunthorpe - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Robinson absolutely got out of jail with that penalty last night because it was him who nearly cost us the game. First 60 mins was the best weve played in months. But Robinson hasnt got a clue, how people were singing his name at the end is beyond me. When you thought youd never get a worse manager than Fraeye, this prick turns up.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, they almost stuffed up that one, didn't they?

Excellent goal by the skipper but I was a bit worried that he'd either do a hammy sprinting to the East Stand or bust his knee during his traditional celebration.

Tex is proving to be a real danger in the box this season - he's scored a few goals, last night he was unlucky to hit the bar in the first half and was clearly dragged down for the pen. Any chance he can actually play up front so he's not a danger in our own box?

What dominance we had disappeared after Crofts came on for Big Mag and we were lucky that Scunny were so wasteful otherwise we'd have lost.

Scunthorpe were possibly the worst team (apart from Charlton!) I've seen at The Valley this season. They are third in the table, eleven places and sixteen points better off than us. That we're that far behind them shows what a disaster this season has been.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Stig said:

Was it our first double of the season?

We drew up there in the league 0-0 mate but beat them at home in the cup if that's what you're alluding to :wink: . Brissle Rovers maybe.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Robinson absolutely got out of jail with that penalty last night because it was him who nearly cost us the game. First 60 mins was the best weve played in months. But Robinson hasnt got a clue, how people were singing his name at the end is beyond me. When you thought youd never get a worse manager than Fraeye, this prick turns up.

As much as I do find it slightly weird that the crowd were singing Robinson's name, and even though his record with us so far is relatively poor, as a manager he is light years ahead of Karal Fraeye.

Then again my cat would have done a better job then Karal Fraeye.
  • Options
    just watched the highlights. scunthorpe defending like us! two well-taken goals for us though. depressing to see the empty stands...
  • Options

Bloody hell, they almost stuffed up that one, didn't they?

Excellent goal by the skipper but I was a bit worried that he'd either do a hammy sprinting to the East Stand or bust his knee during his traditional celebration.

Tex is proving to be a real danger in the box this season - he's scored a few goals, last night he was unlucky to hit the bar in the first half and was clearly dragged down for the pen. Any chance he can actually play up front so he's not a danger in our own box?

What dominance we had disappeared after Crofts came on for Big Mag and we were lucky that Scunny were so wasteful otherwise we'd have lost.

Scunthorpe were possibly the worst team (apart from Charlton!) I've seen at The Valley this season. They are third in the table, eleven places and sixteen points better off than us. That we're that far behind them shows what a disaster this season has been.

Bang on! I've seen most of the teams in this division and bar one or two, you couldn't pay me to watch the others.
    It really is a disgrace that with the squad we have we have not mounted a serious challenge for promotion. I wonder why? With a number of the current team set to leave at the end of the season I think KR is going to have his hands full replacing them. My fear is that we will be recruiting from Divs 1 and 2 . . . the hope is fading already!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Was it our first double of the season?

Only double so far is Bristol Rovers (5-1 away, 4-1 home).

Possible double opportunities remaining: Walsall (h) on Saturday, Cov (a) on Good Friday, Chesterfield (a) penultimate match.
  • Options
    Overriding emotion this morning is simply relief.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017

We looked like a team in the first half. We had shape and the players looked comfortable with the 442 and knew their roles.

Holmes was excellent in the hole/ point of the diamond, it really suited him.

Jackson looked liked the experienced professional and skipper he is. Good goal too.

Scunny were poor.

2nd half we were still in control and looking more likely until Magennis got injured.

I have no idea why, when the formation was working Tarbuck changed it. A straight swap for Watt or KAG made sense but we got Crofts.

Holmes was playing well but he's not a forward and so we lost his input in the middle and in defence. The whole shape collapsed and suddenly Scunny were on top.

They missed an open goal and had other chances before what looked like a Rudd error cost us a goal. They looked like winning and were putting us under pressure.

But in the 90th minute Tex won a clear pen and Watt, who'd not done too much, scored.

The best team always wins and that was us. We weren't great but we were better that the Iron and better than in recent games.

We needed that and great to walk away from the Valley having won at last.

Holmes MOTM

Chicksen better than Page.

Jacko still the man

Hard work all round and can't fault anyone although would have to see the goal again.

Watt got booked for getting out a picture of Bobby Sands and burning a union Jack after the goal. I think that was a little OTT but hope it sparks him to do better. Still doesn't look as sharp as before.

Robinson's subs bewildering but credit for using Duchatelet's advice of the diamond 442. It worked.

Roland's tactical nous has finally come good ;-)
  • Options
    big gob is a real headache, his voice just goes right through you he constantly contradicts himself and makes it up as he goes along, roland when you sell kindly take him with you.

ta.x
  • Options

big gob is a real headache, his voice just goes right through you he constantly contradicts himself and makes it up as he goes along, roland when you sell kindly take him with you.

ta.x

Knobinson is just a scouse David Brent - makes me cringe. We are stuck with him for the long term...
  • Options
    Phew, just glad to get the points tbh, a good week and all the worry could be over, on the playing side at least.
  • Options
    Agree with Henry's review.
    Fred did well in the first half marking Morris out of the game.
    Watt such a twat for getting booked celebrating his goal.
    In the end we were lucky to beat a very poor Scunny.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Nug said:

Major said:

Finally win when it helps Millwall - typical.

Unfortunately I feel completely meh about it - have nothing but negativity in me about it all at the moment.

And to hear that Watt celebrated his goal like we won the cup just pisses me off even more.

Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

I see the "Trust" Board Bloke liked this statement. What a traitorous swine he is. And you wonder why the Club are a bit reticent to meet up and communicate.
    Don't the trust have a meeting this week? Nice to see you back Major, what happened for the whole of February where were you?

Essex_Al should be along shortly.
    Never been away mate! (posting in bold because I was there last night supporting my team)!

Haven't posted much recently so that you could enjoy your European tour in peace, how was the little walk around the back streets and local car park?
    This is a home match.
  • Options

bellz2002 said:

Taken when players came out just before kickoff. For those who want to see what attendance was like.

Everybody was still behind the stands having an extra pint at that point because they told us the kick off had been delayed and somehow the players managed to come out and start the game without it being announced
    Good to see boycotting the food and drink is having an effect?
  • Options
    Wasn't their last nite, so posting with pour speling.

Good to here Konsa geting creddit four his takling, cos i fought that was his weekness, and area where he neaded to improove.
    And Aribo sounded better after his wrest.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Wasn't their last nite, so posting with pour speling.

Good to here Konsa geting creddit four his takling, cos i fought that was his weekness, and area where he neaded to improove.
    And Aribo sounded better after his wrest.

Now there's a surprise!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Great save by Rudd to tip that header onto the post with his foot!
  • Options

bellz2002 said:

Taken when players came out just before kickoff. For those who want to see what attendance was like.

Everybody was still behind the stands having an extra pint at that point because they told us the kick off had been delayed and somehow the players managed to come out and start the game without it being announced
    Good to see boycotting the food and drink is having an effect?
    What boycott of food and drink ? Crossbars is usually full; the Covered End bars do reasonable business before the game and a roaring trade at half time. A 15 minute delay for kick off ? Thank you very much, time for another pint. If Katrien ever wanted to do something useful she should use her legal skills and mount a challenge to not being able to drink and watch a football match at the same time.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Opinion is like an oil tanker - I takes time and a shift in momentum to change direction. The momentum has swung well away from Robinson, and it'd take quite a few decent performances (and a change in accent) to start to turn it back again.
    I think he tried to be too clever with the enforced substitution. You know what Scunthorpe are like when they batter you. It wasn't clever though.
  • Options

cafc4life said:

As much as I do find it slightly weird that the crowd were singing Robinson's name, and even though his record with us so far is relatively poor, as a manager he is light years ahead of Karal Fraeye.

Then again my cat would have done a better job then Karal Fraeye.
    Is your still cat available?
  • Options
    Decent, high tempo game.

1st half highlights:

- Looked like Josh and Novak were playing as 'wide' strikers with Holmes as a false 9. That's the most I've ever seen Josh cross the ball. It certainly didn't look like a natural 2 striker formation.

- Tex was brought down in the first half and was a blatant penalty from where I was sat.

- Jacko took his goal really well and his celebration contained many expletives.

- Scunthorpe looked ordinary.

2nd half highlights:

- Josh going off injured changed the game. We changed shape but kept the 'hit it to Josh' tactic which meant the ball continuously came back to us and put us under pressure.

- Credit to Scunthorpe for recognising we were under pressure. Just as losing Josh changed the game for us, them bringing their number 14 on and putting 3 up top changed the game in their favour.

- What a great tackle by Konsa when their number 9 was clean through.

- An absolute wonder save by Rudd to steer that diving header on the post from a few yards out.

- Rudd was really unlucky with the goal. It looked like it was going to bounce between his legs but hit it and bounced away from him. On the balance of his performance he didn't deserve that bad luck.

- Watt took his penalty well and looked like he had a point to prove.

General Observations:

- Unbelievably low attendance.

- Why did some boo Watt when he came on? Are the Facebook / Forum rumours now being taken as gospel?

- If it's true that Slade wanted Dawson and Drieson said 'no'. Yesterday should have proved even more so that he doesn't have a clue.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I am sure Magennis was injured.
    I also thought Crofts was brought on at the time to prepare for when a fading Jacko would have to come off, but he survived the game, which allowed for two attacking players to be brought on late on.
    Robinson's substitutions suggested to me a manager who wanted to win the game.
    It was (to me) much more about the positive effect of the Scunthorpe substitutions than any negative effect of ours.

Bang on, imo. Hopper changed the focus of their attacks for them completely.

I think the two of us are in the minority here, which is fair enough, but Crofts coming on happening within minutes of Hopper coming on, and I think it was the latter that had MUCH more of an effect.
  • Options

Decent, high tempo game.

- If it's true that Slade wanted Dawson and Drieson said 'no'. Yesterday should have proved even more so that he doesn't have a clue.

Dawson was their best player in the 3-1
    Although I think he broke Ricky Holmes foot. Keep saying this, he's exactly the sort we need to bloster the midfield. And he's a leader. Getting on a bit though.