Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Upbeats Day - Saturday 8th April 2017

12345679»

Comments

• Well done everyone involved

• I wish I could say I loved my day, BUT as I said, due to all my surgery I was only aiming to do a couple of miles, though would have been delighted at three, and it was hard work! I passed that goal, and made the half way point, despite being so slow I was on my own virtually the whole time. I did go wrong a couple of times, and had to ask others to direct me to Shooters Hill, but did eventually make it, and walked down it before I had to admit defeat and get buses back to Charlton.

I must admit, I am sorry I missed the wonderful views from Greenwich Park, would have loved to see them with everyone, but just not possible now. Am glad I did it, as will never be any fitter sadly, so yesterday was as good as it gets for me. Am quite very proud of myself as did not think I would/could walk anywhere near as far and for as long as I did.

Absolutely fantastic effort. Have taken the liberty of amending your final sentence.
    A truly amazing effort and in such a good cause. After the walk, I thought I was introducing myself to you in Crossbars! We were the first group with Killer and a lady asked if I had arrived in a cab like her. I put 2+2 to make 5 and thought that you had finished the walk and come to the Valley in a cab. In short, my attempt at saying 'Hello' to you, backfired and I felt foolish.
    Sorry not to have put a face to a name, HantsAddick.
    Thanks again for your kind words. Am afraid it was not me you spoke to in Crossbars though. I did not get back in a cab, I took the bus, then walked again from the village. Was the lady the one who did the admin? There were two of us early in Crossbars, and the woman working there asked had we run? She told her tale of why early, then I gave mine. I sat in my usual group of friends who I meet in there at home matches. (well, this season, anyway). Sorry not to have met you, bet it was great walking with Killer!
    Yes, I think she said that she had helped to organise it. A 50/50 chance and I chose the wrong one to ask! That's why I never place a bet.
    It was amazing walking with him and the group. He is a real character and set a very quick pace, in fact, Olly who led our group, kept trying to rein him in and wait for people. We joked that he could smell the beer at the Valley!
    Hopefully we will collide and meet soon. Hope you had no injuries after your walk?
    Yes, perhaps it is wise not to bet in that case. Easily done. Killer seemed before the start as if he could not wait to get going, no wonder he was put in the first group. Luckily, no injuries for me. A few leg muscles are very stiff and sore, but as they don't get used like that usually, only to be expected. Could be a lot worse today.
  • Good day, didn't feel like 9 miles, chatting, laughing all the way round. Went into crossbars, for a bit, then did my Ross Kemp, made my excuse and left. #justselltheclub.
    A quick 6 miles with the dog this morning, as a loosener.
  • So continuing on the thank you for donations since my last update on Friday, many thanks to @Curb_It @Tavern @HantsAddick @dponsford23 @redman @bexleyaddick @big in Brasov @AllLeftFoot @PassItToLeaburn @cherryorchard @LenGlover @QatarNapsy @Robbo on the wing @Dansk_Red @suzisausage @les_says @Tramp @Afternoon Delight @rhinosvalley @CAFCBourne everyone connected to 'Team Titan' and our small army of Anonymous givers.

Thank you each and everyone of you, we've gone through the £8k mark now and it still keeps going up.

I'll provide a wider update in the next couple of days.

Thanks
    AFKA
  • Just nicked those words @RedArmySE7 , sums up why I continued to support the Upbeats after that very first meeting.
    * The pure unbridled joy on the kids' faces makes everything worthwhile.*
  • There were a few photographs taken along the way by people who lookdoes anyone know

A brilliant day. Really nice to meet some posters that I didn't know previously and also catch up with some I haven't seen in a while. Being welcomed by the Upbeats at The Valley really was quite humbling, also their support at stops along the way was brilliant. The one thing that really hit home to me was that no matter the destruction that seems to be going on within the club at the moment, we still have such wonderful supporters that go above and beyond the call of duty to support things like the Upbeats. The guys at the Trust are amazing.

Thanks to all who have donated, and also everyone that participated in the walk an then cheered on the lads to a great 5-0 win against Brighton. I think it was @ozaddick I turned to after one of the goals and the young lad was celebrating to say "I'm not sure I've ever been that happy". The pure unbridled joy on the kids' faces makes everything worthwhile.

We should be really proud we continue to support them, and long may it continue.

I remember that moment well red. We couldn't not smile the biggest of smiles seeing the joy of the lad. It was so good to see.
  • I remember a lady who took lots of photos in our group, she seemed Spanish, short dark hair... does anyone know where I can find some photos of the day?
  • ozaddick said:

I remember a lady who took lots of photos in our group, she seemed Spanish, short dark hair... does anyone know where I can find some photos of the day?

I was in that group, she was taking a lot of photos and was definately foreign
  • Sponsored links:

• ozaddick said:

I remember a lady who took lots of photos in our group, she seemed Spanish, short dark hair... does anyone know where I can find some photos of the day?

I was in that group, she was taking a lot of photos and was definately foreign
    Are you sure it wasn't Curb_it slurring her speech :smile:
  • Anyone had any updates on this years walk (assuming there is one) date etc?
    Bumped into @DaveMehmet yesterday and it got us wondering. TIA
  • 14th April I was told. :)
  • Great! we were wondering which date to keep free again. So enjoyed the event and a brilliant group of lads to support. Will get my 'team' on the ready.
  • Yes - 14th April this year
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2018
    T_C_E said:

14th April I was told. :)

Hope they brief the security this year :-)
  • That's funny. I actually googled for the date yesterday and couldn't find it.
  • DA9 said:

T_C_E said:

14th April I was told. :)

Hope they brief the security this year :-)
    I'll bring JJ instead this year. :)

• Looking forward to this. Really enjoyed it last year a great day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gutted as I probably won’t be able to make it this year. We’re in Paris that week and am planning to come back on the 14th. Haven’t booked it yet so may be able to swing it.
  • Just checked my diary. I’m unfortunately away that weekend.
  • Gutted as I probably won’t be able to make it this year. We’re in Paris that week and am planning to come back on the 14th. Haven’t booked it yet so may be able to swing it.

We get back on the Thursday so will definitely be doing this again.
  • I’ll be there - thoroughly enjoyable day last year and met some good people

We get back on the Thursday so will definitely be doing this again.
    I've been doing the miles in preparation