Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Couldn't believe Spurs didn't get a pen at Bournemouth. I'm generally a fan of VAR but don't expect them to get it so wrong. Procedural improvements required I think.

Premier League admits VAR errors in all three Thursday matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841
  • Couldn't believe Spurs didn't get a pen at Bournemouth. I'm generally a fan of VAR but don't expect them to get it so wrong. Procedural improvements required I think.

Premier League admits VAR errors in all three Thursday matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841
    Think the other two tonight were worse decisions that Spurs. I agree it was a penalty but there’s not too much contact. The Southampton one was atrocious, it was a poor decision to give it in the first place, god knows how it wasn’t overturned. 
  • edited July 2020
    Just so glad VAR has been introduced......now they can overturn all  those dodgy penalties that Man U get.

Oh, wait.........
  • It's that different now feeling when there's a bad decision!

Before you could at least sympathize with the referee and put it down to bad luck like hitting the crossbar.

Now it's just incomprehensible and bloody annoying.
  • Kyle Walker-Peters red card rescinded in a little over 90 seconds. This is how the Premier League should have used VAR last season.

https://streamable.com/jphqdt
  • There was a crazy VAR in MLS this morning.

Inter Miami player went down in the box ref gave nothing, ball went out of play and VAR told him yo have a look at the monitor for a possible penalty, he watched the replay a few times, gave the Penalty and a 2nd yellow to the Orlando player.

Then the controversy, the Orlando players surrounded the ref saying something to him, the player who was sent off didn't leave the pitch either, suddenly the ref had his hand to his ear and reversed the decision because the Inter Miami player was actually offside.

Why the didn't look at the offside first I will never know lol, would have save alot of time and issues
  • Marseille scored a second goal against PSG last night in the fight night game. 14 yellows and 5 reds. Should of been 6 reds because Tia Marie gobbed in the direction of a Marseille player; Yes he did have Covid 7 days ago !

The VAR clearly showed the defenders boot and the attackers boot were in line and the goal should've stood. Then 2-0 to Marseille with 20 odd minutes to go.

• That encroachment into the area at a penalty rule is crazy. What difference does it make if a player has his arm or head over the line when a kick is being taken?
  • Sponsored links:

• Posted this in the Premier League thread too.
    Ridiculous that the game has put itself into a situation where this is offside

• VAR is meant to be used to rectify clear and obvious errors. Drawing lines across the pitch and declaring that a players arm is 5mm offside is not clear and obvious in my opinion 
  • I believe the clear and obvious error mandate is separate from the offside decisions.
    as offside is a binary decision.

either way. VAR can go fcuk itself if that’s the type of thing they believe improves the game

There's been some really poor ones but that's probably the worst.

How can your arm be offside? That VAR line is almost by his elbow.

There's been some really poor ones but that's probably the worst.

How can your arm be offside? That VAR line is almost by his elbow.
    I may have misunderstood this situation and I don’t think it would make any difference in this case anyway, but why is the line drawn from the defender’s torso rather than his elbow which is the furthest point back?
    Surely if an attacker’s arm can be offside, then a defender’s arm must be able to play an attacker onside?
  • Is the ball touching the player's foot? Why isn't the ball round?
  • Presumably that's offside now because of the amended handball law that says the arm starts where the shirt sleeve ends, in an effort to stop the shoulder being given as handball. Dunno how that works for long sleeve tops
  • edited November 2020
    Off_it said:
    Posted this in the Premier League thread too.

Three points:

1. How is that offside?
    2. Why have they drawn the red line halfway up his arm?
    3. That fucking banner!

If they have to constantly scream how Sarf Landan they are, doesn't that expose how insecure they are about it?
  • edited November 2020
    Whatever the rule is, that is ridiculous.

He’s pointing to where he wants the ball played and that is not gaining an advantage.
  • Sponsored links:

Might be the angle but isn’t the other centre back deeper than the no.17? Line not drawn from there because it’s obstructed by Bamford? Either way looks like the wrong decision to me.
  • If they are that uncertain they should be finding in favour of the attacking player.
  • First time I have seen that, Christ what’s happening to the beautiful game.
  • What about West Hams goal this evening. I agree with Jenas on MOTD - the player was ahead of the Fulham defender when the ball was played. He might not have subsequently touched the ball but the goal came about because the defender had to react to the cross & headed it away, straight to another West Ham player. Therefore the first player was "interfering" with play as he made the Fulham player play the ball. 

• What about West Hams goal this evening. I agree with Jenas on MOTD - the player was ahead of the Fulham defender when the ball was played. He might not have subsequently touched the ball but the goal came about because the defender had to react to the cross & headed it away, straight to another West Ham player. Therefore the first player was "interfering" with play as he made the Fulham player play the ball. 

Definitely offside I think, pretty sure the West Ham player (Haller I think it was) who was in an offside position even jumps towards the ball as it comes in to make it even worse, bizarre that VAR missed it

Yep. Agree completely. What was the defender supposed to do, just leave it?

Might be the angle but isn’t the other centre back deeper than the no.17? Line not drawn from there because it’s obstructed by Bamford? Either way looks like the wrong decision to me.
    Exactly this. Even you if look past the ridiculousness of giving his arm offside, then surely the centre back in the middle is playing him on?

VAR line is done for number 17, but from that angle it looks clear as day that the centre backs left leg and body is at least a yard closer to the goal than the full back. It looks impossible that he is not further back than the red line drawn for Bamford.
    Didn't see the game so don't know if they showed any other angles though.

Surely the defender to the right of Bamford is playing him onside with his arse.

Surely the defender to the right of Bamford is playing him onside with his arse.
    The upper part of the arm was deemed to be offside. And as that part of the arm is no longer deemed to be handball (so you can score with it) the goal was deemed to be offside.

Not saying it's right because there should be an element of spirit of the Law but that is why it was given as offside.