Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• For me if it was so close that it was going to happen in the next 'few days' the actual identities of all those involved would be known and leaked by someone.

I could be completely wrong but it does not sit well that so much about this apparent immenant takeover is unknown.
  • Nug said:

Red7Oak said:

bobmunro said:

Red7Oak said:

So just a thought re some of the things I have read on here: Atlassian = Australian co founded by Mike Cannon-Brookes and Scott Farquar (both late 30's which has been suggested as the age for the potential buyer previously on this thread). Understand traded on NASDAQ hence the American connections? Have offices in London, in fact parent co regd in London. Delays in announcing if deal completed hence could be because co announcement has to be made on the exchange they are listed on?
    Just thoughts but would be nice if it was these guys. Growing company, London club near to Financial center. :) Certainly not short of a bob or two!

As you say, they are certainly not short of a bob or two.

Jeff Bezos is worth a reported $112 billion - he's not buying us either!
    Bezos hopes to colonise the solar system! Off course he is not interested in CAFC! He has more chance of colanising the solar system than he has getting Charlton to the PL!.
    Met Bezos 20 odd years ago through work when Amazon had just started if only I’d known what a feckin mess we’d be in I could have presented him with a Charlton shirt and he’d be a fan coming to our rescue right now. Cue wild stories about amazon taking us over this week!
    PWR, Amazon would be great for us, hope you are right.
    We will even have a tax exemption status.😉
  • I am getting the feeling that Jim White's claim a deal is close is a lot like Elon Musk claiming six months ago that he had a Saudi firm to buy Tesla at $400 per share... a personality-type prone to unintentional exaggeration while excited and a general inability to separate dreams from hard reality.
  • So I’m dying to get excited about it all but if I try and look at things coldly...

- the big expectations that this is imminent stems from a broker talking who only Jim White seems to know (Rick may possibly now after speaking to Jim).

- The broker insinuates it is very close, so why did he contact Jim to put it out there at that point, not before, or, if close, not once it’s fully done if there was no accompanying desire to release details of individuals involved?

- From what Jim had said there is an expectation that that this would have been completed by the end of last week, then the beginning of next week, then ‘should’ by Wednesday.

- while there are hinted snippets such as nationality and ages, there appears to be no knowledge anywhere on, along with the broker, who the front man is, who the key financier is, who or how many make up the consortium and whether or not there is any connection / overlap with other previously interested parties

My fearful side worries that this wasn’t as close as the broker, and in turn Jim White, was making out, and was a bit of a play on the brokers side to move engagement forward or put pressure on RD to resolve a stumbling block in the negotiation.

Sounds very plausable.
  • ‘90% done’ is a very odd phrase in relation to a takeover process.

It could mean ‘We have agreed the price, the funding cash flow payments the timing of these, payments under contracts for past players like Gomez, Lookman etc, payments to the ex-directors and we are just having the lawyers write all this up’

Or it could mean ‘We have a broad agreement in principle but there a few very knotty issues in the detail that could still detail the process such as rights over the Valley, training ground, future payments as ex-players perform or move club and we have to resolve these issues before the lawyers can finalise the contracts for us to sign.’

I’m not believing this one until it’s signed and announced

It could mean ‘We have agreed the price, the funding cash flow payments the timing of these, payments under contracts for past players like Gomez, Lookman etc, payments to the ex-directors and we are just having the lawyers write all this up’

Or it could mean ‘We have a broad agreement in principle but there a few very knotty issues in the detail that could still detail the process such as rights over the Valley, training ground, future payments as ex-players perform or move club and we have to resolve these issues before the lawyers can finalise the contracts for us to sign.’

Could also mean it IS done and they are awaiting league approval, which is hard to predict. Sunderland's takeover was hung up by the league dragging their feet.
  • I’m in the ‘not getting excited until it’s done and dusted and announced through official channels’ Camp. The reason ... this is Charlton. I’ve had a lifetime of misery supporting this club through thick and thin and the biggest letdown of all was the Zabeel debacle. How many weeks did we have thinking that we’d be competing with the likes of Man City only for the rug to be pulled from under our feet. I just can’t get excited this time around and will not raise any enthusiasm until it’s done and dusted.
  • Sponsored links:

• So I’m dying to get excited about it all but if I try and look at things coldly...

- the big expectations that this is imminent stems from a broker talking who only Jim White seems to know (Rick may possibly now after speaking to Jim).

- The broker insinuates it is very close, so why did he contact Jim to put it out there at that point, not before, or, if close, not once it’s fully done if there was no accompanying desire to release details of individuals involved?

- From what Jim had said there is an expectation that that this would have been completed by the end of last week, then the beginning of next week, then ‘should’ by Wednesday.

- while there are hinted snippets such as nationality and ages, there appears to be no knowledge anywhere on, along with the broker, who the front man is, who the key financier is, who or how many make up the consortium and whether or not there is any connection / overlap with other previously interested parties

My fearful side worries that this wasn’t as close as the broker, and in turn Jim White, was making out, and was a bit of a play on the brokers side to move engagement forward or put pressure on RD to resolve a stumbling block in the negotiation.

But people at senior levels within the club are also saying it's "90%" done.

The regime people lie and distort, we all know that, but it's not just coming from White's broker.
    People at senior levels of the club have been sure it’s ‘almost done’ on more than one occasion in this saga though, haven’t they?

Again, I’m not saying it won’t happen next week, I just think what JW put out there was over exagerated which worries me this isn’t as close as others are also making out.
  • Nug said:

Met Bezos 20 odd years ago through work when Amazon had just started if only I’d known what a feckin mess we’d be in I could have presented him with a Charlton shirt and he’d be a fan coming to our rescue right now. Cue wild stories about amazon taking us over this week!

My brother in-law works for him. My guess is that if he bought CAFC, he would announce right away that he is expanding The Valley. A few months later we would learn that it was becoming an Amazon warehouse and that the seats were being ripped out and you could only watch games on Amazon TV with a Prime membership.
    And the ticket office and club shop would be relocated to the Channel Islands!

You know when you need a cold shower...you are never grateful for it. :)
  • Don't get too high nor too low. It will happen when it happens.

Could also mean it IS done and they are awaiting league approval, which is hard to predict. Sunderland's takeover was hung up by the league dragging their feet.
    They won't "drag their feet" on a deal for a club with whose fans they have already had two meetings and have another scheduled for Jan 16, if I recall.

• Sponsored links:

The regime people lie and distort, we all know that, but it's not just coming from White's broker.
    ‘Senior levels’? So we are talking Betty the tea lady then.

I thought it hung up because the person buying Sunderland had an interest in Eastleigh that he had to dispose of first.
  • Scoham said:
    is that Terry Venables bottom left?

Who are these "senior" people at the club you speak of? I didn't think we had anybody and were a rudderless ship until the sale went through.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Scoham said:
    is that Terry Venables bottom left?
    Great shout if it is. Does he do anything other than a titchy bit of media these days? Am I wrong in recollecting Bowyer calling him out recently as a manager who’d influenced him?.
  • You aren’t wrong there. Can’t see Vanabkes in the pic myself.
  • You aren’t wrong there. Can’t see Vanabkes in the pic myself.

He’s not quite bottom left, more like about 8’o’clock and he’s side on but I reckon it is him. Great detective work by @Taxi_Lad
  • No surprise there is confusion regarding the take over.
    Apparently we are getting info. from a broker or an agent, or maybe a brokers agent, or is it an agents broker?
    All dealing with a nutter!!!
    Confusion and wild speculation.
    Looks like we will reach 1500 pages before the nutters draw the whole saga to a conclusion.
  • I believe Richard Murray via one of his media companies owned the global rights to "Who wants to be a millionaire" now it's back on the box through Royalties is he fronting the consortium :)
  • Well as I see it, this next 3 days are defining, Monday or Tuesday - as JW said, we should of been taken over, if not, then Wednesday's fans forum should tell us something, either the same old 5 interested bullchite again, or something more Interesting. Interesting week.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!