Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Sorry, I was wrong. On Friday I posted that JW was speaking bollox & he was being played by RD. Having just listened to that 1.40 min snippet I concur he is just plain talking bollox. Conference call from the US & Oz.......it could only happen to us. Rather have Mike Ashley if I'm honest.

"Unlocking the money" in investment terms is more likely to mean dis-investing already held assetts or waiting for certain fixed rate bonds to become available. This could mean weeks or even months.

The Aussies have been around for almost 12 months & they still don't have enough money to buy the club, let alone fund it for their magical 5 year "plan". Tell them to do one & come back when they are sensible.

• RedChaser said:

Scoham said:

I think a lot of the posts suggesting no price has been agreed, no bid on the table and not having the money are wide of the mark. FWIW I think something is going down and it’s reaching a conclusion. That’s not the same as reaching a positive conclusion because too much can go wrong at any point especially when dealing with someone like Duchatelet. I do think the two “buying” parties involved are getting their ducks in a row and it will either work out or not in the next week or so.

The way it's gone it could easily drag on another year.
    We know that the Aussies are serious because they’ve been chipping away at this for a long time. They obviously didn’t have the means to secure the club and have at this point arrived with partners or perhaps just finance from America. Now that may collapse if the Americans pull out and then indeed we might see a long time before any group gets as close as we currently are. I would guess that should the Americans pull the plug then the Aussies might call it a day but that’s just my view. They might well seek partners elsewhere.

Tomorrow LdT will have to answer some searching questions and we might all know a lot more by midnight tomorrow. I’m keen to know if @Airman Brown is correct that RD has been turning away interest. That to me seems very odd for someone keen to find a buyer.

I doubt we’ll hear very much now until tomorrow at the FF.
    I cannot remember. Who here on CL is a participant in the FF with LdT?

Killerjerrylee.
    And razil?
    Yes.
  • Scoham said:

I think a lot of the posts suggesting no price has been agreed, no bid on the table and not having the money are wide of the mark. FWIW I think something is going down and it’s reaching a conclusion. That’s not the same as reaching a positive conclusion because too much can go wrong at any point especially when dealing with someone like Duchatelet. I do think the two “buying” parties involved are getting their ducks in a row and it will either work out or not in the next week or so.

We know that the Aussies are serious because they’ve been chipping away at this for a long time. They obviously didn’t have the means to secure the club and have at this point arrived with partners or perhaps just finance from America. Now that may collapse if the Americans pull out and then indeed we might see a long time before any group gets as close as we currently are. I would guess that should the Americans pull the plug then the Aussies might call it a day but that’s just my view. They might well seek partners elsewhere.

Tomorrow LdT will have to answer some searching questions and we might all know a lot more by midnight tomorrow. I’m keen to know if @Airman Brown is correct that RD has been turning away interest. That to me seems very odd for someone keen to find a buyer.

Over to you, Lieven...
    A deal will never get done until Roland gives up on these Aussies who have yet to put a deal together for over a year.
    His valuation is based on their negotiations, which I believe is irrelevant as they don’t have the funding.
    If they do have funding then ask Lieven tomorrow why the deal has never got done.
    I believe there are other real bidders waiting for a deal at the correct price, but have been put off by price Aussies supposedly agreed to pay.
    My question for Lieven would be why are you wasting your time with the Aussies who clearly don’t have the funding in place.

Sounds about right to me from what we know.
  • clb74 said:

Lieven the Turkey got slaughtered and eaten over Christmas.
    JW will be standing in for him.

Oi thought you said Saturday deal was being done today
    I said I was meeting my dealer today.
    New Porsche, @blackpool72 ?
  • clb74 said:

Fanny, are you attending the FF tomorrow or have you officially left the role and can't return ?
  • edited January 2019
  • Scoham said:

Over to you, Lieven...
    Booooom the correct answer right there @Davidsmith welcome back into the game

They ain’t got the money still fucking 15months later move the hell on and let someone else have a go

There are others there waiting for this to fall over hence why I believe something can happen and will happen we are just no where near done and it’s due to the continued hanging around of the Aussie group

I don’t blame jim white I feel for him to be honest he got fed dog shit info some rehashed nonsense and wasn’t sceptical enough when it was delivered to him

The training ground info was a Chinese whispers it was obvious let’s be honest why would someone be introduced as the new owners before an official announcement

It was 100% potential new owners and the potential but has been missed out

Long way to go in this
    Who is Lieven anyway?
    What is his background, what experience does he have in valuing and selling companies?
    Roland as usual employing unsuitable people to deal on his behalf.
    I have been told that at least 3 seperate entities have approached Debenture holders but Aussies/Americans have never been in touch.
    This has months to run.
  • edited January 2019

clb74 said:

It's a big red old Dennis with 100,000 on the clock, ladders , hoses the lot :wink:
  • edited January 2019

Scoham said:

Over to you, Lieven...
    Booooom the correct answer right there @Davidsmith welcome back into the game

They ain’t got the money still fucking 15months later move the hell on and let someone else have a go

There are others there waiting for this to fall over hence why I believe something can happen and will happen we are just no where near done and it’s due to the continued hanging around of the Aussie group

I don’t blame jim white I feel for him to be honest he got fed dog shit info some rehashed nonsense and wasn’t sceptical enough when it was delivered to him

The training ground info was a Chinese whispers it was obvious let’s be honest why would someone be introduced as the new owners before an official announcement

It was 100% potential new owners and the potential but has been missed out

Long way to go in this
    Who is Lieven anyway?
    What is his background, what experience does he have in valuing and selling companies?
    Roland as usual employing unsuitable people to deal on his behalf.
    I have been told that at least 3 seperate entities have approached Debenture holders but Aussies/Americans have never been in touch.
    This has months to run.
    De Turck RD's stand in CFO dealing with the sale on his behalf.
  • edited January 2019
    Experience
    Fremach International
    Company NameFremach International
    Total Duration7 yrs 6 mos
    TitleCFO
    Dates EmployedJul 2014 – Present
    Employment Duration4 yrs 7 mos
    LocationDiepenbeek
    TitleGroup Controller
    Dates EmployedAug 2011 – Jun 2014
    Employment Duration2 yrs 11 mos
    LocationDiepenbeek
    Fremach International is part of ELEX NV holding

EPIQ NV
    Company NameEPIQ NV
    Total Duration3 yrs 7 mos
    TitleGroup Controller
    Dates EmployedJul 2009 – Jul 2011
    Employment Duration2 yrs 1 mo
    LocationTessenderlo
    TitleController
    Dates EmployedJan 2008 – Jul 2009
    Employment Duration1 yr 7 mos
    located at Epiq EA in Botevgrad Bulgaria

Continental
    Financial Analist
    Company NameContinental
    Dates EmployedNov 2003 – Dec 2007
    Employment Duration4 yrs 2 mos
    Education
    KU Leuven
    KU Leuven
    Degree NameMaster Field Of StudyApplied Economics
    Dates attended or expected graduation 2000 – 2003

Groep T - Internationale Hogeschool Leuven
    Groep T - Internationale Hogeschool Leuven
    Degree NameMaster Field Of StudyIndustrial Engineering
    Dates attended or expected graduation 1996 – 2000

• Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

It has been widely reported that the Aussies don’t have large financial resources available to them and therefore cannot afford to pay Roland’s £40m valuation.

That ridiculous figure comes from a commercial valuation of the underlying land at The Valley and Sparrows Lane. Since the Aussies can’t afford £40m, it appears that they are enlisting American financial investors to fund (and therefore have ownership of) those physical assets, whilst the Aussies run the club from a commercial perspective.

This has massive downside risk for us fans. The financial investors are likely to charge commercial interest on their loan of c.10%, giving the Aussies an annual bill of c £4m just to use The Valley and Training Ground. In the medium term, without a very significant investment in players, the most likely scenario is that the club are a mid to lower Championship side and the Aussies will run out of money within 3 to 4 seasons. If that happens, we then have a football club effectively owned by financial investors with zero interest in owning a football club who just want to liquidate their land asset or sell it on for significantly more than they paid for it. Think what has happened to Coventry City for a parallel situation where they don’t own the ground.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/969170415?-11197:833

Far too much guesswork from Albury Addick.
    A meaningless ramble, until facts are known.
    To be fair I thought we were all indulging in a bit of meaningless rambling until we know the facts.
    What I would say is that 99.99% of all commercial transactions are done with a view to making a profit. Not for love or Hubris ( Roland) - investments are made to make money. You have to ask yourself if the physical assets end up being split off from the football side - why would anyone do that when the trading business is a perpetual loss maker and when the physical assets would be difficult to realise or liquidate.
    I’m with David Smith on this- the Aussies agreed to the silly price months ago based on Rolands land asset valuation and have spent the last 12 months desperately trying to find some way of funding that.
    I feel that it would be better for all of us if they dropped out and a better funded bidder came along and agreed a lower more sensible price. Until the Aussies accept defeat we are probably stuck in Groundhog Day.
  • RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

It' a big red old Dennis with 100,000 on the clock, ladders , hoses the lot :wink:
    "Dennis in the last minute"
  • RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

It' a big red old Dennis with 100,000 on the clock, ladders , hoses the lot :wink:
    "Dennis in the last minute"
    It can shift that's for sure :wink:
  • He can't spell analyst........ even though he was one apparently

So who is he in terms of negotiating the selling of a football club and its assets........... a "two a penny" financial controller of many years...... is that it?

• I think the meet and greet at the training ground on a Sunday as championed by Airman may have been with 'POTENTIAL new owners'. Not 'THE new owners.'
    Chinese whispers play a f****** huge part in a lot that goes on here.

What happened is that the group was described to those who happened to be there when they went round. Whether the original language or the retelling of it is imprecise probably isn’t meaningful.

Good to see confirmation from JW of the American angle.
    Not meaningful?
    How can you say that?

This whole sorry charade has blown up again partly on the back of that statement. Quite how you can nonchalantly bat it into the long grass is pretty astounding tbh.
  • Chizz said:

There are some people who think that, in all cases, a situation where the club and the ground are under different ownership is "worse" than the current situation. I don't agree.

Currently, the title of the ground is a convoluted. The ground is owned by Baton, which in turn is c.90% owned by Roland. But there is a charge on the property that is shared, unequally, between seven other investors (the "former directors"). So the club is, in all intents and purposes owned by Roland and the ground is "shared" between Roland and other investors.

There *could* be a situation where the club is owned, 100%, by a consortium of Aussies, whose aspiration is purely on the return they can generate by improving the team (ie by getting promoted to the highest possible level), while the ground is owned, 100%, by a consortium of American investors who are purely and exclusively interested in the capital appreciation that will naturally accrue from a large piece of London real estate, whilst having no intention to develop the site. This would free up the football club to concentrate solely on the football; and free up the real estate investor to make capital gains, notwithstanding the performance of the team.

If anyone thinks that is something that must be avoided at all costs, I have to disagree. Because it implies that there is a preference for the current owner to continue. If that happens, Charlton will cease to exist in a few years' time. We are in terminal decline, with an owner who has no desire to risk any more of his investment and seemingly no clue as to how to exit. Make no mistake about it: with Roland in charge, Charlton will cease to be.

So, does anyone really have a preference to see Charlton fold, rather than have two distinct, committed, professional consortia owning the parts of the club in which their aspirations expertise lie?

A lot of best case scenarios and guess work here, but the evidence is out there that, very few, if any football clubs have a track record of long term success without owning their stadium and those you can name could be put against a list 5-10 times larger by those who have been unsuccessful.
    I agree that, in England at least, there are few clubs that succeed at the highest level, long-term, where the ownership of the club and the ground are separated.

But there are precisely no clubs who succeed, at any level, after they have been ground into oblivion by malignant, uncaring, stupid, Belgian millionaires.
  • Page 1450 coming up Henry.
  • Well, I'm a bit sceptical that other potential buyers are being turned away because of the Aussies.Exclusivity? For a year or more? It doesn't seem like rational business behaviour to me. But then again, this is Duchatelet we are dealing with here.

I think it far more likely that credible buyers take a look and then walk away once they have seen the price tag. Indeed I'm now able to reveal an example of that, involving a name that has been bandied around on here:
    Alisher Usmanov.
    As I've mentioned at various times, there is a Vienna based Addick who is a senior honcho in an investment bank there. In 2014, he came (too) late in the game with a bid involving the Arenacom guys and a Ukrainian oligarch. Apparently Usmanov is his client (for other business) so he took the opportunity to pitch the sale to him. Usmanov was interested enough to look over the sale documentation (knowing full well Charlton's League position). However after reading said documents he replied that he wasn't interested. Period.
    I also learnt that Steve spoke with Richard Murray in December. Murray told him that he thought a deal was near but he did not say to Steve that he should back off with other buyers because of this.

This reinforces my long held view that the issue is the unrealistic price that RD is holding out for, and the Aussies have so far been the only party willing to even try to reason with the deluded one. For people like Usmanov, it's not worth them wasting their breath.

@PragueAddick are you saying Usmanov looked at the sale document in 2014 or more recently ?
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:

How can I stop getting emails from cl telling me somebody has contributed to this thread ....I have about 500 to delete

You may have accidentally “starred” the thread. If you’re on your phone, look on the right of the CL homescreen - if there’s a solid star, tap it to uncheck it.
    Ok thanks I have changed it from yellow to white..hope it works..sincere thanks
  • Scoham said:

Over to you, Lieven...
    A deal will never get done until Roland gives up on these Aussies who have yet to put a deal together for over a year.
    His valuation is based on their negotiations, which I believe is irrelevant as they don’t have the funding.
    If they do have funding then ask Lieven tomorrow why the deal has never got done.
    I believe there are other real bidders waiting for a deal at the correct price, but have been put off by price Aussies supposedly agreed to pay.
    My question for Lieven would be why are you wasting your time with the Aussies who clearly don’t have the funding in place.

This is almost word for word what a few have been saying, and getting a little bit of stick for tbh, for a while.
  • Hex said:

Well, I'm a bit sceptical that other potential buyers are being turned away because of the Aussies.Exclusivity? For a year or more? It doesn't seem like rational business behaviour to me. But then again, this is Duchatelet we are dealing with here.

I think it far more likely that credible buyers take a look and then walk away once they have seen the price tag. Indeed I'm now able to reveal an example of that, involving a name that has been bandied around on here:
    Alisher Usmanov.
    As I've mentioned at various times, there is a Vienna based Addick who is a senior honcho in an investment bank there. In 2014, he came (too) late in the game with a bid involving the Arenacom guys and a Ukrainian oligarch. Apparently Usmanov is his client (for other business) so he took the opportunity to pitch the sale to him. Usmanov was interested enough to look over the sale documentation (knowing full well Charlton's League position). However after reading said documents he replied that he wasn't interested. Period.
    I also learnt that Steve spoke with Richard Murray in December. Murray told him that he thought a deal was near but he did not say to Steve that he should back off with other buyers because of this.

This reinforces my long held view that the issue is the unrealistic price that RD is holding out for, and the Aussies have so far been the only party willing to even try to reason with the deluded one. For people like Usmanov, it's not worth them wasting their breath.

@PragueAddick are you saying Usmanov looked at the sale document in 2014 or more recently ?
    This autumn. Sorry if that wasn't clear earlier.

• clb74 said:

Fanny, are you attending the FF tomorrow or have you officially left the role and can't return ?
    I've left the role but unsure whether it can be classed as "officially" as I continue to receive email invitations to attend from Tom R.

As there is no NWK Addicks now to represent, there would probably have to be a change in the original rules for me to be accepted.

However, said rules would appear to have been bent out of shape somewhat over recent years and I might be able to claim a seat at the table by representing, for example, our regular away fans.

But, living an hour away from The Valley since 2015, it would mean that Mr F would have to drive me there & back, which I feel is an unacceptable request for me to make.

Plenty of good people in the Group these days so I'm definitely not missed.
    I doubt LDT would know North West Kent from Timbukto. :smile:
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

There are some people who think that, in all cases, a situation where the club and the ground are under different ownership is "worse" than the current situation. I don't agree.

Currently, the title of the ground is a convoluted. The ground is owned by Baton, which in turn is c.90% owned by Roland. But there is a charge on the property that is shared, unequally, between seven other investors (the "former directors"). So the club is, in all intents and purposes owned by Roland and the ground is "shared" between Roland and other investors.

There *could* be a situation where the club is owned, 100%, by a consortium of Aussies, whose aspiration is purely on the return they can generate by improving the team (ie by getting promoted to the highest possible level), while the ground is owned, 100%, by a consortium of American investors who are purely and exclusively interested in the capital appreciation that will naturally accrue from a large piece of London real estate, whilst having no intention to develop the site. This would free up the football club to concentrate solely on the football; and free up the real estate investor to make capital gains, notwithstanding the performance of the team.

If anyone thinks that is something that must be avoided at all costs, I have to disagree. Because it implies that there is a preference for the current owner to continue. If that happens, Charlton will cease to exist in a few years' time. We are in terminal decline, with an owner who has no desire to risk any more of his investment and seemingly no clue as to how to exit. Make no mistake about it: with Roland in charge, Charlton will cease to be.

So, does anyone really have a preference to see Charlton fold, rather than have two distinct, committed, professional consortia owning the parts of the club in which their aspirations expertise lie?

A lot of best case scenarios and guess work here, but the evidence is out there that, very few, if any football clubs have a track record of long term success without owning their stadium and those you can name could be put against a list 5-10 times larger by those who have been unsuccessful.
    I agree that, in England at least, there are few clubs that succeed at the highest level, long-term, where the ownership of the club and the ground are separated.

But there are precisely no clubs who succeed, at any level, after they have been ground into oblivion by malignant, uncaring, stupid, Belgian millionaires.
    Or Aussies / Americans. Potentially.
  • Scoham said:

Over to you, Lieven...

This is almost word for word what a few have been saying, and getting a little bit of stick for tbh, for a while.
    I don't know if that is correct, but if it is it's certainly a worry.
    However is it possible other bidders were playing (very) low ball?
  • Lieven meaning is "DEAR one", says it all really. Buyers beware.
  • I think 1944 will be the page number
  • JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Over to you, Lieven...

I don't know if that is correct, but if it is it's certainly a worry.
    However is it possible other bidders were playing (very) low ball?
    Welcome back and I don't know
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!