Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• seth plum said:

I'll name that tune in one, Tom. Squeeze: Down in The Valley. "And when the Robin sings, it's a happening thing, there's no time to take your eye off the ball".
  • back to the pot noodle talk then @AFKABartram ...? ;)
  • We have had 2 million views - I owe somebody a mug - any way of identifying who it is?
  • We have had 2 million views - I owe somebody a mug - any way of identifying who it is?

Richard Murray

• Sponsored links:

• This all seems a bit of an unnecessary debate.

I've no idea what protest CARD had planned for next Monday, but its clear that its either not going to happen (as one of their organisers has basically stated on the previous page), or its not a protest that would need numbers as they can patently see that the widespread support for it just isn't there.

You could argue back and forth on whether there was any value in announcing a return to protesting in the first place, but this isn't really at this point in time any benefit in getting tied up with periphery side issues.

Disagree.

This has everything to do with the sale of the Club and the fans intent to encourage the owner to make it happen sooner rather than later.

Or is our only outlet to vent our frustrations about the ownership on a message board?
  • So is it not happening now ? ( again )

Nope, but we have a crumb of comfort of the slim chance of sixth place to console ourselves with.

The sale, the protest or are you talking about something private?
  • Addickted said:

This all seems a bit of an unnecessary debate.

I've no idea what protest CARD had planned for next Monday, but its clear that its either not going to happen (as one of their organisers has basically stated on the previous page), or its not a protest that would need numbers as they can patently see that the widespread support for it just isn't there.

You could argue back and forth on whether there was any value in announcing a return to protesting in the first place, but this isn't really at this point in time any benefit in getting tied up with periphery side issues.

Disagree.

This has everything to do with the sale of the Club and the fans intent to encourage the owner to make it happen sooner rather than later.

Or is our only outlet to vent our frustrations about the ownership on a message board?
    not sure what specific point you disagree with mate

On your last sentence, no of course not. But whether its on a message board, at The Valley or in Belgium, at this stage of the process, that's all it is imo, venting frustration. May have some publicity benefit if successful, but can't really see anything now having an influencing benefit and also runs the risk of further division as there are those who will look for any form of protest to capitalise and drive a wedge between supporters.

That may change to me if come the end of the season there has still been no movement (which I suspect), and it appears that interested parties have withdrawn (which I fear). But we are effectively stuck in a no mans land at the moment and imo better efforts would be directed on just seeing if the team can get some momentum over the next couple of games. Just my view
  • Stig said:

So is it not happening now ? ( again )

The sale, the protest or are you talking about something private?
    The sale
  • Turn Monday’s protest into a celebration. Black n white balloons in their thousands with a few red ones thrown in plus streamers. Inflatable kangaroos and camels, German horses and whatnots bouncing around the ground.
    “We’ve got our Charlton back (almost)”
  • So as somebody that has just spent the morning doing anatomy and cpr, why has all the joy turned to unrest?
  • cfgs said:

So as somebody that has just spent the morning doing anatomy and cpr, why has all the joy turned to unrest?

Because I made a prickish comment about protests on Monday, generally nobody has a clue what’s going on and some have more patience than others, mine is personally shot
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

cfgs said:

So as somebody that has just spent the morning doing anatomy and cpr, why has all the joy turned to unrest?

Have you forgotten who we all support?

True. Just wondered if there was a specific reason.
  • One thing we could do is make Monday a Roland is leaving party whether he has left or not by then. Shouldn't dim the atmosphere as it would be a celebration but it would show how much we hate him.
  • Addickted said:

This all seems a bit of an unnecessary debate.

Disagree.

not sure what specific point you disagree with mate

On your last sentence, no of course not. But whether its on a message board, at The Valley or in Belgium, at this stage of the process, that's all it is imo, venting frustration. May have some publicity benefit if successful, but can't really see anything now having an influencing benefit and also runs the risk of further division as there are those who will look for any form of protest to capitalise and drive a wedge between supporters.

That may change to me if come the end of the season there has still been no movement (which I suspect), and it appears that interested parties have withdrawn (which I fear). But we are effectively stuck in a no mans land at the moment and imo better efforts would be directed on just seeing if the team can get some momentum over the next couple of games. Just my view
    I'm not.

I fear I may has misinterpreted your original post.

Carry on.......
  • This all seems a bit of an unnecessary debate.

Agreed, please get this back on topic.

Bombay bad boy for me
  • Jon_CAFC_ said:

Whilst I echo the sentiments of others above regarding protests, I would hope that some kind of symbolic gesture to show that we have not changed our stance could be made - press release in Belgian media/something in his hometown akin to the billboard - doesn't necessarily need to be in the ground where it could impact the team does it? (this is based on the assumption we hear no more regarding the takeover by then)

Of course we won’t hear more by then,

Murray’s quotes were largely prompted by cards threat of protest. We’ve a slim chance of making the playoffs, despite a dead cat bounce.

We’re now adopting a wait and see approach, it’s exactly what they want don’t rock the boat on the off chance of a slither of hope of 6th place - keep us all quiet
    Even as a pessimist we have move than a slim chance, if we win our game in hand we are in the playoffs and the teams above us aren't in great form
    Form is temporary.

Class is permanent.
  • bobmunro said:

Playing devils advocate for a second.... does that mean if we lose the next 2/3 games protests then come back on the agenda...? I think it's important we don't lose sight of what the protests are trying to achieve - making Roland's life uncomfortable.

Surely if the players think we will only protest when they lose that puts MORE pressure on them?

but I don't see how protests in the UK make his life uncomfortable at all. I doubt he now would even be aware they happened.

Agreed. Protests in and around The Valley have been very useful in getting wider publicity for our plight from the UK press and TV. RD was only ever uncomfortable (and responded as such) when the protests were taken to Belgium.

Meire was in tears as even she knew it was the wrong thing to do and Mel Baroni said she'd resign if it was published but as it was Duchatelet's wish it had to be published.

hahaha christ I'd forgotten about the whole Mel Baroni episode.
  • Chrispy51 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Chants of support the team not the regime would offer that wouldn't they?

All well and good chanting that, but last time I was at the ground and heard one of those chants it was interrupted by some people giving dogs abuse to our own player for misplacing a pass!
    Standard.
  • bobmunro said:

Playing devils advocate for a second.... does that mean if we lose the next 2/3 games protests then come back on the agenda...? I think it's important we don't lose sight of what the protests are trying to achieve - making Roland's life uncomfortable.

Surely if the players think we will only protest when they lose that puts MORE pressure on them?

but I don't see how protests in the UK make his life uncomfortable at all. I doubt he now would even be aware they happened.

Agreed. Protests in and around The Valley have been very useful in getting wider publicity for our plight from the UK press and TV. RD was only ever uncomfortable (and responded as such) when the protests were taken to Belgium.

Meire was in tears as even she knew it was the wrong thing to do and Mel Baroni said she'd resign if it was published but as it was Duchatelet's wish it had to be published.

hahaha christ I'd forgotten about the whole Mel Baroni episode.
    I think Mel is trying to do the same.

Fizz Waller, the newly appointed commercial manager who was, like Mel, someone who could see the problems, resigned at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!