Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• It’s not going to happen , is it ...
  • Well? When's press conference?
  • The itk posters have not said it isn't today keeps me hoping - if it isn't please end the misery
  • It’s already been said by a few people that today is looking more unlikely, doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen, most likely means a (possibly better) offer has come in. A few more weeks of patience and we’ll be there, I don’t get what the rush is about.
  • It’s already been said by a few people that today is looking more unlikely, doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen, most likely means a (possibly better) offer has come in. A few more weeks of patience and we’ll be there, I don’t get what the rush is about.

Or maybe there is the desire to see if it is a better offer. There is a danger attached to this I think as if you mess people about, they can sometimes tell you to go and do one!
  • Jon_CAFC_ said:

cfgs said:

So as somebody that has just spent the morning doing anatomy and cpr, why has all the joy turned to unrest?

Because I made a prickish comment about protests on Monday, generally nobody has a clue what’s going on and some have more patience than others, mine is personally shot
    There's nothing preventing you from protesting :-)
  • Sponsored links:

Or maybe there is the desire to see if it is a better offer. There is a danger attached to this I think as if you mess people about, they can sometimes tell you to go and do one!
    Or seek an alternative Club to purchase.

One where the owner isn't an awkward and intransigent person to negotiate with.
  • I think that was quite a polite way to describe the owner!
  • Sorry, I've obviously missed a post, is the latest that it's all been put back a few weeks?
  • I keep F5'ing the NewsNow Charlton page but its full of news from plymouth papers....
  • Jon_CAFC_ said:

This is going to be a day of frustration, can anyone in CARD confirm if plans are still being made for next Monday

I hope no plans are being made after what we witnessed on Saturday the whole feel of the supporters and players being united behind Bowyer and Jacko

Fuck RD fuck the sale of the club based on deadlines set by fans with regards to its completion date no one knows the date it will happen and let’s be honest even if it will happen

Right now protests And negativity around the ground will not help regardless of how many times I read we don’t lose on protest days it will detract the attention of the players and be mentioned by people all the way up to kick off

just carry on now into the next 3-4 games to give us a proper chance to get in the playoffs all focus should be based on the team the mgmt and the playing staff not the ownership or ridiculous deal done by X date

We talk about moving forward and moving on we need to get over ourselves and really just work on bringing the Charlton feeling back to the stands , I felt it on Saturday it was there no protests no balls on the pitch no anti RD songs just a group of players and a mgmt team playing for us

If protests happen on Easter Monday then they are for the wrong reasons

Is my view too. I don't think the vast majority of fans will now want protests next Monday.

I don't know about "the wrong reasons", but it doesn't feel to me that we should be doing anything that undermines the admittedly slim hope we have of getting promoted this season.
    16/1

Fill yer boots Airman
  • Davo55 said:

bobmunro said:

Playing devils advocate for a second.... does that mean if we lose the next 2/3 games protests then come back on the agenda...? I think it's important we don't lose sight of what the protests are trying to achieve - making Roland's life uncomfortable.

Surely if the players think we will only protest when they lose that puts MORE pressure on them?

but I don't see how protests in the UK make his life uncomfortable at all. I doubt he now would even be aware they happened.

Agreed. Protests in and around The Valley have been very useful in getting wider publicity for our plight from the UK press and TV. RD was only ever uncomfortable (and responded as such) when the protests were taken to Belgium.
    Just not the case.

The {...} article on the website came immediately after the Middlesboro protests. he was clearly reacting to those protests and he said as such.

There were also protests in Belgium that weekend but the publicity hit him and caused him to react.

Meire was in tears as even she knew it was the wrong thing to do and Mel Baroni said she'd resign if it was published but as it was Duchatelet's wish it had to be published.

The protests in England impacted on Duchatelet.
    Agreed.

I think that it was the protests at the Valley that got to Meire and played a significant part in her resignation. When she went, so too did any lingering interest from the old mad Belgian. That and the worldwide press/media coverage will have hurt him.

But I also think that the protests in Belgium have been invaluable in smacking him (metaphorically) between the eyes.
    Surely Meire left because she knew the club was up for sale, rather than the other way round?

And the Wednesday job is in some ways a step up too, a higher division with a bigger budget, and the chance to prove that she could run a club on her own merits. Whether she's up to this is of course debatable, but in her mind I'm sure she thinks she's good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• If it means we get the right new owner instead of just a new owner then waiting a few weeks doesn’t matter as far as I’m concerned.
  • But it doesn't necessarily mean that!
  • Davo55 said:

bobmunro said:

Playing devils advocate for a second.... does that mean if we lose the next 2/3 games protests then come back on the agenda...? I think it's important we don't lose sight of what the protests are trying to achieve - making Roland's life uncomfortable.

Surely if the players think we will only protest when they lose that puts MORE pressure on them?

but I don't see how protests in the UK make his life uncomfortable at all. I doubt he now would even be aware they happened.

Agreed. Protests in and around The Valley have been very useful in getting wider publicity for our plight from the UK press and TV. RD was only ever uncomfortable (and responded as such) when the protests were taken to Belgium.
    Just not the case.

The {...} article on the website came immediately after the Middlesboro protests. he was clearly reacting to those protests and he said as such.

There were also protests in Belgium that weekend but the publicity hit him and caused him to react.

Meire was in tears as even she knew it was the wrong thing to do and Mel Baroni said she'd resign if it was published but as it was Duchatelet's wish it had to be published.

Agreed.

I think that it was the protests at the Valley that got to Meire and played a significant part in her resignation. When she went, so too did any lingering interest from the old mad Belgian. That and the worldwide press/media coverage will have hurt him.

But I also think that the protests in Belgium have been invaluable in smacking him (metaphorically) between the eyes.

The protests have been well planned and well timed up to now. All the protests at the valley cranked up the pressure on Katrien Meire that in time, when Douchebag made 1 wrong decision too many, she was looking for an exit strategy for at least the last year. Wednesday came calling and she was off.
    Duchatelet lost even more interest, and the process to sell was heightened.
    The protests at the Valley DID make a difference with the Middlesbrough game and others going Viral, plus the filming of the coffin by Matt White and Matt Wright were seen all over the world(including Fox news USA).
    Any protests now at the Valley is pointless, other than for the boycotters who are feeling excluded and lonely.
    If this dragged on till the end of the season then a reappraisal by CARD will happen and they will use the best hand at their disposal
    The Belgian 20 played a blinder but a couple of them may have been caught offside when going to Duchatelet's parents house. 108 + 106 years old, TBF Roland's parents did say he was a tight git and don't reveal where they lived to him.
    Please hold on to those rubber Kangaroos and Camels for now.

• But it doesn't necessarily mean that!

No it doesn’t. But wishing for a sale just to get a sale isn’t important to me.

• I can see that, but whilst there isn't a sale, we are going to be fearful that potential buyers pack it in. You would imagine Duchatelet would have concerns in that area too!
  • I can see that, but whilst there isn't a sale, we are going to be fearful that potential buyers pack it in. You would imagine Duchatelet would have concerns in that area too!

I’m sure there is a limit to their patience but I am encouraged by the fact that the Australians have been patient and persistent in their pursuit. Implies that they want to buy Charlton not just a football club. If it’s not them eventually there’s not much we can do about it but like I said the intentions of a new owner are the most important thing for us.

• Just checked and am able to confidently confirm

We are not on Schpock, Facebook Marketplace or eBay, so that has to be good news right?
  • What

I can see that, but whilst there isn't a sale, we are going to be fearful that potential buyers pack it in. You would imagine Duchatelet would have concerns in that area too!

I’m sure there is a limit to their patience but I am encouraged by the fact that the Australians have been patient and persistent in their pursuit. Implies that they want to buy Charlton not just a football club. If it’s not them eventually there’s not much we can do about it but like I said the intentions of a new owner are the most important thing for us.

What the whole village, that's impressive dedication for you - bring them on :wink:
  • I think they need to be welcomed because it's the end of Roland and they need to be given a chance to show what they are all about, but I will be honest about one thing, and this is where I'd also be sceptical. If the Australians do indeed buy us and then appoint Kewell as manager that reeks of nepotism, it will also have me concerned about what their true agenda is, be it to promote Australian football, which I don't mind, as long as it doesn't do damage to our chances of working to move back up to the Championship. We don't want to be another 'experiment'.

There is always a risk once owned by someone like Roland that puts you a pot of similar-minded owners, but I believe that no one can simply be as bad as Roland, especially when it comes to recognised what the fans want and need which often pales a lot closer in comparison to what the club needs than owners like Roland would be willing to admit.

• Davo55 said:

bobmunro said:

Just not the case.

Agreed.

Surely Meire left because she knew the club was up for sale, rather than the other way round?

And the Wednesday job is in some ways a step up too, a higher division with a bigger budget, and the chance to prove that she could run a club on her own merits. Whether she's up to this is of course debatable, but in her mind I'm sure she thinks she's good enough
    I suspect it was a circular process. She got pissed off. He started looking at who was in the market to buy. She found an unlikely refuge. He totally lost interest and finally decided to sell up. But, who really knows. I'm just glad he is selling, whether that be today, tomorrow, next week - as long as it's in time for new owners and a new leadership team to plan and build for next season.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!